Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Early-mid 90's Leatherman "boom"

Rotten · 17 · 2243

Offline Rotten

Early-mid 90's Leatherman "boom"
on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:31 PM
Does anyone remember that time period? I seem to recall seeing them all over the place at the time. I always wanted one but couldn't afford one.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Re: Early-mid 90's Leatherman "boom"
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
I remember it was a boom not only for Leatherman but for multitools in general.

At school we had a non-official competition for having the coolest multitool and with several brands and new models appearing all the time, it was great !

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:21:11 PM
Be my guest.
I acquired my first LM after almost 3 decades of drooling. Still very expensive here. Victorinox is a much more reachable option, either for a SAK or a Swisstool.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:09:08 PM
I was aware of them, but it wasn't until '98 or so that I got my first one.  I always thought they were SAKs for people who weren't smart enough to just get a SAK...

I bought a Micra, liked it so much I gave it to my girlfriend at the time and went back the next day to buy the PST II.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:18 PM
It was the late 90s that I first seen one,got it right away...SAK with more!

Took another 5years or so to get my first PST,and that was thanks to getting a private job repairing a model railway!

Was fine with that really til I met you lot :megaslap:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:32:09 PM
I wasn't aware about them till the early 2000s. I was a student back then and couldn't afford one. Not even sure they were available here back then. I actually signed up to eBay and PayPal just to buy a Leatherman. :D  On 8th of November 2008 I bought a Skeletool CX and two days later a Surge. One could say I jumped in with both feet. :ahhh But yes, the serious addiction started when I joined this place. ::)

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:00:43 PM
I remember seeing an advert for the PST in Survival Weaponary and Techniques in 1988...I got my first Supertool in 1995 :D
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:56:33 PM
Until my dad got me a wave in 98 I had never heard of lm's or mt's, i don't rembered them in nepal shops in the 80's or 90's.

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 04:16:45 PM
Here's a photo of the ad in my copy of Survival Weaponary and Techniques from 1988 :)

A PST for £23.95 delivered :o
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 04:28:43 PM
Or two Minis for £46 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 04:37:13 PM
aaah survival Weaponary and techniques magazine  :dd:
spent more time than was healthy lusting after stuff in those sweet pages, I should have stuck to proper mens mags and saved myself a fortune  :whistle:
(saw a big box of old issues at a bootfair a few weeks back, I was really tempted 'just for old times sake')

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 07:10:32 PM
aaah survival Weaponary and techniques magazine  :dd:
spent more time than was healthy lusting after stuff in those sweet pages, I should have stuck to proper mens mags and saved myself a fortune  :whistle:
(saw a big box of old issues at a bootfair a few weeks back, I was really tempted 'just for old times sake')

I bought the Manual from WH Smiths with a book token I got for Christmas :D

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 09:11:44 PM
I think I was asleep during those years, I was an early adopter of the PST, then quickly bought a Paratool and Gerber multiplier when they came out, but to me the PST was the best.  I wasn't until the mid 2000's, when I thought I'd lost the PST, that I woke up and saw all the new possibilities.  Had I been smart I would have bought a Wave and stopped right there, but I'm not lucky that way, I had to try them all, and being a pack rat meant I kept them all. 

I did by a Spyderwrench in there too, can't remember what year that was, but it was before I lost the second PST....which I found about a week after I bought the Wave, Powerlock, Power Assist, Cybertool 34, Freehand, Octane and Skeletool.    :rofl:

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 01:09:26 PM
I've always thought the SuperTool was the best tool they made...if it had scissors it would be perfect ;)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:00 PM
Late '94 a friend of mine used his PST during a camping trip, that was the first time I saw a Leatherman.

When we got home I went straight to the local army surplus store to buy myself a PST, but when I got there they said they just got this "new type" of leatherman in stock, turned out it was the original Supertool, so ...

Offline Rotten

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 04:27:59 PM
Here's a photo of the ad in my copy of Survival Weaponary and Techniques from 1988 :)

(Image removed from quote.)

A PST for £23.95 delivered :o

Looks like leatherman was going after the "Rambo knife" craze a the time? Remember those ridiculous things? Knives with matches and fishing line in the handles?

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 04:57:27 PM
Doing stage crewing for as a teenager and lusting after the supertools and pst that all the others where carrying but not been able to afford them. Fast forward a few years and my now farther in law sent me my first Christmas present a first gen wave just as they came out. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%