Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Video

Dunc · 19 · 2490

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Gerber Video
on: December 17, 2012, 06:58:09 PM

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Gerber Video
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:57 PM
I had no idea they still make some gerbers in the USA?  I thought that was long done and gone?  Id be interested to know what models are still made here, and what steel they use.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:12:51 PM
The MP600 and 400 mutltitools are US made as is my little LST , E-Z out Rescue and Prodigy  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:18:06 PM
Ah... well look at that I learned something new! :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:18:39 PM
Yeah, still stuff made in the US.  However they gloss over the fact that plenty of their product are made overseas.  That kind of misleading advertising never does a company much credit IMO. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:27:29 PM
Yeah, still stuff made in the US.  However they gloss over the fact that plenty of their product are made overseas.  That kind of misleading advertising never does a company much credit IMO. :-\

Yes Buck seems to handle this better

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:11 PM
I quite enjoyed this one too

Gerber Instant - Unstoppable

Has anyone been following there American Expedition in search of trouble ?  I thought some of they photos were amazing , they visited some real remote areas

http://www.gerbergear.com/unstoppable/blog/

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:02 PM

That was my thought exactly.  Alos Im pretty certain its just USA assembled correct?  I had an MP400 and that steel felt like chinese steel to me.  So I would think the components are made in China an build/QA's stateside?

Oh also funny thing about the MP400 I had.  I didnt care for it and ebayed if off.  The guy that ended up with it asked me if it was a fake... i laughed but no, it was legit.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 07:50:02 PM
I'd be interested to know what Chinese steel feels like

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:10:24 PM
I'd be interested to know what Chinese steel feels like

Grainy, and doenst polish the same as say 440c.  I can't tell you want elements are in it, but i can tell you what its not.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 08:20:28 PM
 But if you watch the video it actually shows them stamping out blade blanks and the guy doesn't look Chinese lol even Victorinox doesn't use Swiss steel it's imported

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:22:55 PM

You have obviously never seen a Taylor Brands catalogue then.  Stars and stripes and eagles all over it, and nothing made anywhere near the US.  It made me sick and I'm not even an American.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:24:49 PM
I could be wrong, but of the bladesteels Ive worked with, including the chinese mystery steel, that's what it felt like to me.  It would seem pretty odd then to buy the steel overseas and stamp it out in the US.. so it could jsut be a low grade standard steel.  I havent worked with them all, just blade steels and 304/316 stainless.

Normally if they use a known north american standard steel, its listed as part of the tool specs. I work with 440c the most so I know how it feels (by feels I mean to machine it, grind it, sand it, polish it).  When I try similar processes on known chinese mystery steel its a very different feel to work it.

Vic uses German steel as far as I remember?  I remember looking at the closest north american standard steel to their spring steel and it was 440A.  I went with 440C as the closest available, but slightly higher grade.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:26:57 PM by Syph007 »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31:15 PM
Well I was wrong then I think.  Google tells me that the MP600 uses 420HC and ATS-34 steels.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:28 PM
I think they use a range of steels , according to the box my fixed blade Prodigy is sandvik 12c27

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:00 PM
I work with steels from all over the world, and it's either decent stuff or it's not. I've experienced some horrendous steels from developing countries, but horrendous steel from first world countries too. I've also encountered very good consistent materials from across the globe too.

Steel is generally either made well, or made cheaply - geography may increase the odds of finding yourself at one end of the spectrum or the other, but isn't the be all and end all. Some of the worse steels have been from mills which are new to producing a particular alloy, and they just haven't got in tune with the nuances of that particular grade yet. Chemically it may be fine, and the test piece may have met all the mechanical values (though you never know how many retreatment cycles were needed to ensure that), but is it homogenous enough, without inclusions or other defects? All the test cert will tell you is what the ingredients are, what the initial (or final) treatment cycle was, and that a small piece they cut off a very large lump/batch had certain mechanical traits. Tha 12C27 is a good steel not just because Sandvik are a good conscientious supplier, but they've been producing the same grade for a long time and know how to make sure they get it right efficiently without rework and minimal rejection. Give them a new grade to produce, and they'll not be as good as someone whose been reeling it off for the last decade or so until they've had a good runs production runs

Don't ignore the importance of the subsequent heat treatment either - that can make a good steel great, or a great steel very poor indeed

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:18 PM

Don't ignore the importance of the subsequent heat treatment either - that can make a good steel great, or a great steel very poor indeed

Ive heard that from a few bladesmiths.  They were saying they make good blades out of 440c even though it has mostly been written off as out of fashion. But that the heat treating technologies, like cryo, allow for way better blades of the of same old steel then they were getting 20 yrs ago.  Smaller crystal domains etc, which does make sense.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
 :think: the lady at the beginning of the video looks oriental, so maybe there is a hint there.....  :D

The only Chinese 440C I have is on some Navy knives and tools, but to me it feels the same as other 440C steels i.e. GEC, though not polished... Maybe if they were both polished  they will feel different. All decent steels seem to be OK for my needs, anyway. As far as I know the Chinese versions are the same (if heat treated ok) as the branded ones, though they are more "equivalent" than identical.

50ft beat me to it....  :rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 02:47:49 AM
I like the one with Trigger Cook the boat builder

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86