Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Helmet cams- GoPro or Contour GPS?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:03 PM
I am considering getting one of those indestructible sport cams and I thought I'd see if anyone here has any opinions or experience with them first.  I am leaning towards the Contour GPS because of the bluetooth capabilities (I like the idea of being able to control it with my phone, adjust settings and preview the video so I know it's pointed where I want it) and because I like the lower profile of it from the front.  I also like that the unit itself is water resistant without the case, meaning it can record sound.

I like the GoPro, but it seems if you want to do much beyond the basic functionality you need to buy more bits and bobs for it.  I have friends with GoPro2's and they love them, and I've seen comparison videos and the GoPro2 does seem to produce slightly better video- the contrast and color rendering seems better.

The GoPro2 really bothers me in that you have to make a choice between waterproof and sound, and that you really don't buy a camera, you buy a camera kit so if you want wifi you need to buy another piece (which means another case) and if you want an LCD you have to buy another bit (which means another case) and so on.

The Contour GPS suffers a bit in video quality (from what I've seen) but not enough in my mind to give up things like phone control, sound and GPS tracking, all right out of the box.

I've been reading reviews until my eyes bled and I think I have a handle on it- I'm likely going to go for the Contour partly because of the added options and partly because I already have access to two GoPros, and it might be nice to have some variety.

Anyone got any other thoughts to throw into the mix before I take the plunge?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Helmet cams- GoPro or Contour GPS?
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:00 AM
While the Contour is no doubt a fine piece of gear, apparently just owning a GoPro allows one to get breathtaking action shots like these:  :)

GoPro Hero 2 HD BoomPole Blurfix
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:45:11 AM
Seems like a good argument to me...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:00:12 AM
And I notice they didn't have any problems making the "waterproof or sound" decision. :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 03:13:23 AM
Go pro seems to be cat's meow in ski community, no experience with either personally.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Re: Helmet cams- GoPro or Contour GPS?
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 03:27:48 AM
And I notice they didn't have any problems making the "waterproof or sound" decision. :tu:

With the GoPro, the unit itself isn't water proof at all. It has to be in the waterproof case if it's to be used around water, which means the microphone on the unit is covered.  The Contour has a waterproof box too, but that's for diving more than 1m underwater. The unit itself is water resistant so the microphone isn't blocked.

Of course if you are using it more than 1m underwater you probably aren't missing any witty banter.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:07:32 PM
Judging by the overwhelming response to this thread I can tell you are all on the edge of your seats as to which one I ended up buying, so here goes....

Yesterday I went out and bought a Contour GPS camera.  The price was right, the feature set is amazing and while the video quality isn't quite as good as the GoPro, it's really only the kind of thing you'd notice when you put them side by side.  One of the big selling features for me was this:

http://contour.com/camera/media

Watch the video and you'll see the GPS location on the right auto update as the guy on the bike goes down the mountain.  I have been using My Tracks on my Android to trace our exact track when kayaking and this is nice because it actually connects it directly to the video, so I no longer have to point to a map while watching the video and saying "this is about where I was when that happened."

I also like the fact that I can use my phone as a viewfinder and to adjust settings and modes as I go.  I haven't shot any video yet as I've been charging batteries (I got two extra batteries with it assuming the Bluetooth and GPS are going to kill them PDQ) and installing/updating software.

Def

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:26 PM
Sweet purchase boss! My buddy took a goPro snowboarding which wasn't bad but he kept turning it off instead of on so it was a whole video of us sitting and BSing on the side of the mountain. :facepalm:

Stay multi my friends

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:08 PM
I updated the firmware on mine this morning and it bricked.  If I have a chance this afternoon I'll take it back to the store to have it replaced.

:(

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 03:18:45 PM
I have the Contour GPS, and I have had it a few days now.  Initially I was not amused with it as the first one I had bricked when I updated the firmware.  The second one I had also bricked.  The third one I got very explicit instructions from a customer service rep and it didn't brick.  I can't help but think that the instructions the rep gave me (which differed greatly from the instructions in the software and on the website) should have probably been published somewhere.  However, as I quickly learned, instructions are not Contour's strong suit.  There are no comprehensive instructions on their site, camera or software.  There is a quick start guide, but that really doesn't offer much info, and the info it does offer is not really accurate.  For example, part of the update process says to hit the Bluetooth button.  Sounds simple, right?  Wrong.  There is no Bluetooth button.  I checked the Quickstart guide where they have the breakdown of what parts are where and no where was there anything marked Bluetooth Button.  While looking at the site there was something marked "Hidden Button" but you still have to do a fair bit of research to find out that the Hidden Button and Bluetooth Button are the same button.

I could go on at length about the lack of clear instructions, especially since the software is the same way.  They say that the Storyteller software is great for editing the videos, but it only has one button (the AWESOME button, which apparently makes that segment of video more AWESOME) and I can't find any features on how to crop videos or edit them together, speed them up, slow them down.... yadda yadda yadda.  Anyways, I can go on about the lack of any instructions, but you get the idea.

The camera itself, once you have the damned thing working, is actually pretty sweet.  Unlike Frank's GoPro (which is also an awesome camera) this one doesn't need to be in the housing to use it.  The GoPro camera itself doesn't have any mounts unless it's in the housing, and isn't water resistant at all by itself, so you always need a housing when using it.  The Contour GPS is water resistant to (I believe) ten feet (3m) so I can mount it on my kayak and not worry about the occasional splash.  Even so, I did get a dive housing for it for when I go snorkeling, even though I rarely go terribly deep, and rarely for any significant length of time.  Really, what am I going to miss out by not having sound under water?  :P

The dive housing is nice, even if it's somewhat bulky.  The GoPro dive housing is less cumbersome but it doesn't float, so Frank has a float attachment for it.  The Contour dive housing floats with the lens pointing straight up, and since it's a bright yellow/green color, it should be relatively easy to find.  This would make a neat premise for Blair Witch III- The Sea Hag since it's possible this camera could wash up on shore somewhere, intact and ready to be played.

While the accessories for the Contour may not be as prevalent as the GoPro accessories, there does seem to be just as many out there.  I bought the tripod mount and a USB battery charger a few days ago at Best Buy and they were apparently on Two for One since I only paid half as much as I should have- something I wasn't arguing about!  The tripod mount is just a clip that has a standard camera screw mount in the bottom- the camera itself doesn't have one, so I figured this was a mount I needed.

The Contour itself came with a goggle strap and two rotating mounts, but with the Bluetooth and GPS functions I figured I'd better get a couple of extra batteries as well, and since much of my activity includes water (kayaking, snorkeling, wakeboarding, driving my Jeep through mud, working in the rain etc) I figured the dive housing was a safe bet too.  Oh, and I also got a car mount, and I have to say, it is the best, most solid automotive mount I have ever encountered, which I suppose is important since the Contour is actually quite hefty compared to the GoPro- although that's largely because of the difference in body.  The GoPro is plastic while the Contour is aluminum, which is lighter than steel but nowhere near as light as plastic.

The video coming out of the camera is beautiful, and I like that it has sound- again, unlike the GoPro.  I also like that it's very simple to operate.  Many of Frank's videos start with a closeup of him as he checks for the little red LED and looks at the tiny LCD screen to see if it's in the right mode and on.  The Contour has a few LED's and if any of them are on then the camera is ready to go.  There's a HUGE switch on the top- slide it forward and it's recording, slide it back and it's off.  Brilliant.

The camera has a small switch in the back that allows you to go from one mode or the other, and you have to set up these modes in advance, so it can be a bit limiting, while on the GoPro you can select whatever modes you like any time you like, if you are willing to enter a complex formula of button presses since it only has one button (actually it has two, but they both do the same thing).  Luckily the Contour GPS and Contour + models both allow you to use your smartphone (extra piece required if you use iOS, but built in support for Android) to change the settings and use the screen of your phone as a viewfinder- this is important with cameras that you have to point vaguely in the direction of what you want to film and hope you are getting it.  If you don't have a smartphone handy, the Contour also has a couple of lasers that fire out of the front- anything between the red dots is getting filmed.

Frank and I will probably do a comparison video soon, but so far I think the Contour is a slightly better camera despite the major fault of the instructions.  It's a nice, solid camera with some heft to it so you know it's there.  I'm glad I got it instead of the GoPro, although they do both have major benefits over the other.  The more standard camera shape of the GoPro lends itself better to things like chest harnesses while the bullet shape of the Contour is better for goggle or helmet mounting.  The Contour provides sound while the GoPro is lighter.  The Contour is limited to two modes (unless you have a phone handy) and to change between one mode to the other you need to open the water proof back, while the GoPro can be changed to any mode while still safely packed in it's housing. 

All in all you really can't go wrong with either camera (unless you try to update the Contour software without involving customer support!  :P) but I am glad that I got the Contour as it's more suitable to me, and it gives Frank and I the opportunity to compare them on a regular basis- that conflict has worked well for years with Ford and Chevy, Pepsi and Coke, Mac and PC, dog and cat etc.

I'll post some video as soon as I figure out how.... :P

Def

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 08:05:43 PM
I want to see some Jeepin' footage!

Stay multi my friends

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 08:17:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with the firmware upgrades. A friend of mine has a GoPro and loves it, but he mostly uses it for diving so the no sound issue isn't really an issue for him. But I agree, I hate buying that requires me to go buy extra stuff for it to work properly. :ahhh I think you made a good choice with the Contour GPS and hope you have long years of fun with it once you two get to know each other better :D

ru Offline AdvUser

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 09:20:13 PM
Being a TV guy tested both, GoPro and Contour. The video quality is no doubt on GoPro. But personally for my needs I took Contour Plus. Its good enough in daylight conditions. Its lens can be turned when camera is placesd with any angle and I like its possibility to connect with my phone as monitor. The same phone software also allows to change presets with white balance, quality etc. I don't like how it records sound. Can't understand how the microphone is set up - some sounds are ok, others, including speech - is hardly heard even with maximum mic gain. Possibly its problem with my camera, but, well, I don't need sound anyway.

If you look for more "plug and play" with better quality and use it only on your helm or in places where it is set horizontally - its GoPro. If you understand what advantages you get from Contour - its a good choice as well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 10:29:35 PM
I've not spent a lot of time testing it but so far I'm quite happy with it.  As for it not picking up voice properly, well I don't have much intelligent to say anyway....

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 05:06:14 PM
I found out another interesting thing about my Contour GPS yesterday. It is water resistant against splashes and amazingly ineffective against even minor submersion without the dive housing.  This was news to me as I thought it was supposed to be rated to ten feet. Turns out the cheaper model is, but this model isn't.  Score another one for ineffective instruction/spec sheets.

Fortunately it doesn't appear that any of permanent damage was done, and after a night spent in a bag of rice it's good to go again.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 12:35:17 AM
Well it's not good after all.  Contour explains that the camera is only water resistant from the front, not from the back, which strikes me as pretty freaking stupid.  They are going to replace it under warranty though, so now I have to send it in to them.

On the one hand it's good that they are willing to replace it, on the other this is just another one of the things that really lets this company down.  The camera is good but the software sucks, the instructions suck and the marketing sucks.  I like the camera and I like the features- the ones that exist that is.  The non-water resistant water resistance seems odd.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 12:55:35 AM
That is weird, like a watch that is waterproof on crystal but not case back. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 01:03:54 AM
Yeah, it's a little weird.  Still, they are looking after it and that's good.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 01:48:47 AM
That and the cheaper model is submersible but not the more expensive one...

I guess you have to look for a waterproof case now?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:40 AM
I actually do have a dive housing for it but I didn't bring it along since it was supposed to be water resistant.  After all, I got this one specifically because it allowed you to get sound without worrying about it getting wet.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 02:14:30 AM
Ah, so it still ended up where the gopro is, no sound if you want it waterproof.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 02:28:48 AM
It is still more resistant to water than the GoPro. I'd consider using it in the rain but I wouldn't even consider taking the GoPro out of it's housing in a light sprinkling.

I still like the Contour a lot. It's feature set is really quite useful and the video is pretty cool.

Def

ru Offline AdvUser

Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:54 AM
BTW  Contour announced new camera - Contour+ 2. With more shooting options like 480p at 120fps.  And underwater housing will be in the box allready.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
Yes, I have been looking at the +2.  It looks to be exactly what I wanted in the first place.   :facepalm:

It retains all the function of the one I have but has an external mic port that I wish I had, remote start and stop with the phone app, an actual marked Bluetooth button (hidden on mine), and a built in tripod mount, while I had to buy that as an extra.  It also offers the increased frame rate and the new waterproof housing has pass throughs for all the goodies like the mic port etc.

I had to buy the waterproof housing separately, which of course I did- I bought it when I bought the camera.  The only thing this new one gives up that mine has is one of the two lasers.  Mine has two- one on either side of the lens, and when activated you can see that anything between the two beams is what you are going to film.  The +2 has a single laser on the top that points directly at what you are filming.  It seems kind of pointless, although the dual laser on mine seems only slightly better than pointless, especially since everyone has a smartphone these days and you can use that as a viewfinder better than any laser system ever could be.

I never really thought I wouldn't buy a few more (I have another project that would greatly benefit from a few different cams) but I'd had my eye on the cheaper Roam version until now.... now I think the +2 looks a little too good to pass up.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 01:09:09 AM
Well I am somewhat annoyed....

I finally sent my broken camera in last week, they received it and got my new camera ready to come back to me.  I got an email from UPS saying that the projected arrival date was today, so I made arrangements to stick close to home and wait for it to show up.

So I made sure to stick close to home and wait... and wait and wait and wait.  Around 2pm I finally called UPS to see if it was still scheduled to show up and they told me they hadn't picked it up yet, and that I need to contact the shipper and tell them to arrange for a pickup. WTF? 

It was supposed to arrive today and it hasn't even left yet?

I would have thought that a company like Contour would have couriers coming and going at least once a day, or at least the shipping department would know that you have to do more than print a label for something to go out.

I sent my contact at Contour a message asking what the hell was going on and he responded about an hour later with:

Just jumped all over my shippers case about this.  It’s going out today.  Apologies for the wait.

I am really not impressed.  I really like the camera, but I don't think I could ever recommend them to someone else.  The camera is excellent but:

The software is kind of dumb, although the new version is supposed to be better.

The update process is complicated and results in catastrophic failure if you follow the instructions on the website.

The instructions on the website and included with the unit are completely useless at best and destructive at worst.

There's a "hidden button" on the camera that handles insignificant functions like updating and Bluetooth.

The water resistant casing isn't water resistant.

The customer service (sorry Chris- nothing personal, but they don't seem to be giving you the tools to do your job properly) is kinda crappy, although I may be spoiled by the stellar customer service found with most multitool and knife manufacturers.

I like the Contour and I think it's a great camera.  I also think that the new +2 version looks like an even better camera than the GPS one I have, and I really, really wouldn't mind having it as well.  Since I am now invested in Contour mounts, batteries, software etc I will probably get the +2 eventually (I need multiple cameras for an upcoming project) but if anyone is looking to get a camera I'd have to suggest you look somewhere else.  There are lots on the market now, but I think you'd be best off with the GoPro since it is more established than any of the others.

Maybe when Contour gets their smurf together I'll have a different theory, but at this point it's a great camera with a really half assed support system.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:05:57 PM
Another update- after the UPS snafu got sorted out the camera got moving and it finally arrived today. 

My instructions when sending it back were to remove the air card (allows it to talk to smartphones/tablets), remove the memory card, remove the battery and send just the camera and nothing else.  This was because they didn't want anything to get lost, and it's easier for them to just replace the camera and nothing else.  So, imagine my surprise when I opened the package today and inside was a nice protective plastic case (for storage, not for use), an extra connection cable, a new 2g card (more or less useless for these cams), a new battery, a new lens cover and a new air card.

I've got to say, score one for Contour- there may have been a lot of screw ups along the way, but they sure don't skimp on looking after you when there's a problem.

Oh yeah, and on the new camera the Bluetooth button is actually marked with the Bluetooth symbol!  No more hidden button for me!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 02:44:44 PM
Time to update this thread again! :D

Thanks to numerous Black Friday sales and some running around I am now waiting on delivery of a GoPro Hero2.

The Hero2 is now the "old" model, having been replaced by three different levels of the Hero 3.  I managed to snag a Hero2 for myself and one for my father at $179, which is about half of what they usually go for.  I don't mind it being last year's model as my Contour GPS has also been discontinued, and their lineup has been juggled around too.

If you read back you'll see that the Hero2 was the camera I was originally comparing to the Contour, and I liked that each had their strengths- well, now I will have the best of both worlds, plus I'll be able to take multiple camera angle videos which I like. 

For example, the Hero2 can capture high speed video at 120 frames per second, which is great for slowing things down, as shown in this video my friend Frank took of me last year:

GoPro Hero 2 slow motion from WVGA 120 FPS down to 10 FPS

My Contour camera doesn't do a frame rate higher than 60 frames per second, but then it also has built in Bluetooth and GPS mapping/tracking that the Hero2 doesn't, so as I said, the best of both worlds!

I also (finally) picked up the handlebar mount for the Contour, which I always passed on before because I don't have a bike.  I finally decided to grab it because these cameras aren't great in low light situations, and I thought it would be really cool to have a flashlight mounted to the camera, which I can do by locking it into the mounting rail on the Contour.  Since the contour has two mounting rails, one on either side, I can mount it to something on one side and mount the flashlight in the handlebar mount on the other.  Confused?  I'll get a photo of the setup up shortly....

Additionally, multiple cameras will allow me to do multiple camera angles, similar to the video I did with Daisy a few months ago for the Donation Draw.

July Donation Draw

This was shot before I got my Contour, and I used my old Panasonic cam and Franks Hero2.  Now I'll have the benefit of being able to use my Hero2, My Contour and possibly my older, lower resolution Panasonic as well.  For reference, most of that video was shot with my Panasonic and the bottom of the hill view was filmed with the Hero2.

I shot this one with my Contour:

Rapids

What you don't see is the alternate camera angle I also shot- I had my Panasonic pointed back at me to film the look on my face as I went down, but the camera got nailed in the first wave and all you get for most of the video is a closeup of the deck.

The Panasonic, while suffering from bad resolution (640x480 max) does have a few benefits over the others, despite them being much newer cameras.  It has an LCD screen, it has (I think) 20x optical zoom and since the unit itself is rugged (rather than having to be in a rugged case) it will record sound in wet environments where the other two need to be protected, so while it may be old, it's nowhere near retirement.

In short, I am hoping to see more official MTO videos than before, and decent ones at that!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 10:47:58 PM
My GoPro arrived today safe and sound.  I am trying to set up the software now and for some reason it doesn't seem to like my laptop.  I am trying it on my netbook and then I'll try it on my new laptop, although I haven't used that one much as I haven't managed to get it all set up yet.

So far it's actually being a bigger PITA than the Contour, which fired up almost instantly and connected to the PC.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 01:49:48 AM
Well I am a little annoyed.  I like the GoPro Hero2 for a lot of reasons, although to be honest I can't say I like it any better than the Contour.  They both have some great strengths and some weaknesses....

However, one glaring weakness is that the PC software for the GoPro (Cineform Studio) doesn't work on Windows 8.  That's a real pain in the arse because you need it to update the firmware on the camera and wifi remote.

Serious problem in my mind since I just updated my laptop to Windows 8.  I wish I'd had some kind of warning.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%