Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZebraLight SC52's are Finally Here!

Offline Travis Autry

ZebraLight SC52's are Finally Here!
on: December 19, 2012, 04:57:30 AM
I announced the upcoming release of the ZebraLight SC52's back in October.  I also placed a preorder that was supposed to ship on or about November 15.  With the current state of overseas manufacture and shipping, they were late.  I received my few pieces a couple of days ago.

Due to work, I haven't really been home long enough to give one a good going over.  I did put an Enegizer Lithium AA in one and it is BRIGHT.  I have no way to measure lumens, but when compared to my now discontinued SC51, the SC52 is clearly brighter.

The new light is definitely more stylish and shows a little nicer machining with a tapered and ridged battery compartment.  The emitter head is larger than the SC51 and the switch is more recessed and seems to be more rugged.

I prefer a small belt sheath for my lights.  I found a generic nylon that works with the SC51 in a lens down position.  The new SC52, due to the larger head, doesn't fit the sheath the same.  It has to go in, emitter up.  It doesn't draw as well as the 51, but the sheath may stretch over time.

The SC51 came with a head strap and a couple of carriers.  The new SC52 came with a couple of "O" rings, but no head strap.  It doesn't appear to be designed as a headlamp anyway.  I have no idea if a headlamp version will be forthcoming.

For any interested, I will be listing the SC52's in The Multitool.org Store at EDCSource.com and will include a belt sheath at no extra charge.  I should have the listing up in a day or so.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: ZebraLight SC52's are Finally Here!
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:35 AM
According to the Zebralight website, output of the SC52 is 280 ANSI lumens on NiMh, more with lithium.

Comparison pic of SC52 and SC51 (pic is from Zebralight site).
377592323.590826.jpg
* 377592323.590826.jpg (Filesize: 36.1 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:04 AM
I've got one of these on my list as soon as it becomes available with either a neutral or HCRI emitter. 

Travis, if you've got any info on the possibility of these, please let me know.  I'll be happy to buy another ZL from you!   :tu:

My other high-priority item is another headlamp, but with higher output and longer run-time.  As much as I like Zebras, I'm going to get a Spark for that.  I just like their headlamp designs better.  I'm wanting the ST6-460nw, but I'm also liking the new SX5-320nw they just came out with.  (And I can only afford one!   :rant:  )
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:46:11 AM
Definetly a nice Christmas light even in white.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 02:20:05 AM
I freaking love zebralights.  I figured Id keep adding in new ones, but honestly the last one I got a H502c is so awesome I cant imagine a better floody headlamp.  No bright spots at all and it covers my peripheral completely.  When I wear it at night and do jobs in the backyard, it just works and I go about my business as if the dark just isnt there.  The H51w is a good general purpose light, but if I use it as a headlamp, my eyes are always following the bright spot.  I would like a w version of a SC52 though if they do make those.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:55:19 AM
SC52w is not out yet but should be shortly.

SC62w s more interesting to me... But Not out yet.

My next head lamp will be the H600Fw, but it missed Santa's sleigh.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:51:55 PM
I'm pretty stoked about the upcoming 'w' version of the sc52.

I've been rocking an sc50w+ for ~2 years now, and have been extremely satisfied.  It has survived several trips to rural Honduras, and many adventures in new home ownership unscathed.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:53:33 AM
If I like the SC52, I'll likely pick up the 'w' version just because, and will get a few for gifts as I think it could be the perfect AA gift light.  I'm hoping the SC62w though will be my new EDC when it is released.  Christmas and New Years should be quite fun.

Zebralight is behind on many of their models and the competition is heating up, not so much on the AA lights though that I can see.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 12:12:15 AM
Turns out it may not be the perfect gift light.  The high-mode draws so much current that they do not recomment strongly not using it with regular batteries. Energizer L92 Lithiumn cells, 14500 Lithium-Ion rechargables, or good quality NiMH rechargables.

That makes it is good gift for someone who will use rechargables like eneloops, or that you live with so you can at least supply them with L92 cells because most people will not pay the extra for those.

Other than that... even the current 'white' (non-neutral) tint version is quite nice... more later in another thread when I have time and light for pictures.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 03:48:36 PM
Turns out it may not be the perfect gift light.  The high-mode draws so much current that they do not recomment strongly not using it with regular batteries.

Yet another reason not to use the those cursed alkaleaks (alkaline batteries).  A ZL is way too good a light to be ruined when (not if) an alkaline battery spills its corrosive guts all over whatever it is in.  I'll use them if I really have to, but I strongly recommend that you never leave them for any length of time in anything electronic that you value.

The latest duracell "duralock" batteries may be better, time will tell.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 11:40:48 AM
Turns out it may not be the perfect gift light.  The high-mode draws so much current that they do not recomment strongly not using it with regular batteries.

Yet another reason not to use the those cursed alkaleaks (alkaline batteries).  A ZL is way too good a light to be ruined when (not if) an alkaline battery spills its corrosive guts all over whatever it is in.  I'll use them if I really have to, but I strongly recommend that you never leave them for any length of time in anything electronic that you value.

The latest duracell "duralock" batteries may be better, time will tell.
Absolutely; personally, like most flashaholics, I'd never use alkalines in a good flashlight unless I was using it so much as they would be replaced weekly.  Even then I'd probably be using rechargeables for green money saving power.  So really Alkalines are emergency only, or replaced after use. I use to use them for testing, but for my usage that's not relevant anymore.

However; most people who use lights infrequently would not pay for the higher quality L92 cells or maintain NiMH cells for their small flashlights, let alone 14500 cells.  So in that sense I just don't feel I could gift this light to anyone, it would be a shame to have a cell leak in one of these.  There is some good news though, with the way things are sealed up now in this new Zebra, it's possible that a small leak could be repaired without damaging the light, but it's still a bit difficult with this unibody design that is not made to be completely disassembled.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:36:41 PM
I tend to agree about giving "good" lights to non-enthusiasts, but this year I gave away a couple of ZL H51 headlights.  However I also gave the lucky recipients 4 eneloops ( and a decent charger), along with strict instructions to never, ever leave alkaline batteries in the lights.  No problems so far, so looking good for the moment.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:16 PM
It will be great if they accept the charger routine.  With eneloops using rechargeables is much better than in the past, but many people have bad memory with rechargeables that didn't really work out that great and the Alkalines are so cheap now in 24 and 36 packs, people are not in a hurry to return to rechargeables. 

More people are interested in being more "Green" though so that does help.

I've given some Zebra headlamps in the past, but the people were already into rechargeables and knew how to work with them since they are frequent travellers to smaller countries or are using the batteries for other purposes as well.

The SC52 I'm just a little more worried abotu because of their strong warning because of the hogh current draw on H1.

I'm just waiting for the sun to go down so I can do some more testing on my Christmas lights and then I'll post some pictures and comments of the smaller ones, then the big boys hopefully tomorrow. 

It's a great time in the evolution of the pocket light, as well as the larger hand held lights.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:50 PM
I tend to agree about giving "good" lights to non-enthusiasts, but this year I gave away a couple of ZL H51 headlights.  However I also gave the lucky recipients 4 eneloops ( and a decent charger), along with strict instructions to never, ever leave alkaline batteries in the lights.  No problems so far, so looking good for the moment.
I totally agree...  I don't gift higher end lights to anyone I can't personally help with the kinds of cells and maintenance they would require.  The most 'advanced' LED torch I've gifted was my Xeno E03, which I gave to an aunt of mine who needed a good light for her purse.  I put a fresh L91 in it and told her to never use anything but that exact same kind of battery in it. 

That's advice I generally give to people who want a good torch but don't know anything about them, and aren't willing to use rechargeables; always use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, and nothing else.  That's the best insurance policy for those situations.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%