Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Efficient Compact Bright Camping Lanterns?

Offline wellgate

Efficient Compact Bright Camping Lanterns?
on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
I'm pretty new to this game, having acquired a P7, 2x P3,P2 and an MT7 lensers almost without realising it. I don't mind paying for top quality kit and I'm looking for a reasonably compact yet bright lantern for all-round rather than directed illumination while camping. It must be durable, and doesn't need to be covert but some control to allow use inside a tent, or ability to shade it downwards would be useful.

It won't be used more than once every few weeks so rechargable is not essential, and I guess windup or manual power could be considered.

Can anyone make some suggestions?

thanks
W.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Efficient Compact Bright Camping Lanterns?
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:23 PM
I have a cheap lantern but nothing great.

Maybe you can use a diffuser on your torches to achieve a "lantern" effect?

Also there are some gas canister ones that seem popular.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:23:28 PM
Easy  :D Fenix PD20 with the white lantern diffuser and a little clip on the keyring attachment to hang it from the ceiling of the tent

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:24:47 PM
take a look at the mightylite by uco and industrial revolution. they are compact and come in multiple sizes, like AA, 3AAA, and 4AA. If you go larger, than I would suggest the khohls lux by shift three. it uses 3 D batteries.

Of these suggestions. I like the 3AAA and 4AA most. There is a problem with the 4AA, it has a blinking light that will continue to drain the batteries when not in use, sure it helps you find the lantern but... the light has 200 lumens so it is small and bright .

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:08 AM
You could always make your own diffuser.  I did this one with just an old camera film canister.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 03:41:41 AM
I loooooved my Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 3xAA lantern, until I took a chance on the Coleman High Tech Mini Lantern. My only real gripes with the Rayovac were that the "Low" setting was barely lower than the "High" setting, and that changing batteries was a bit tricky in the dark; the Coleman's low is significantly lower, which makes it more useful inside a tent or small room, and the battery cover is attached, and it's easier to get the batteries right and get the cover back on without having to line up tiny tabs and such. And like the Rayovac, it's hella bright.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:09 PM
I haven't checked out the Coleman, but I've got a Ray-o-Vac and it's a good lantern for what it is.  Doesn't have a lot of range, but it's got a good brightness level.  I also dislike the jackassery you have to fumble with to change the batteries, and I dislike the ghastly cool tint it has, so I don't use it unless absolutely necessary.  Now if they made one in a neutral or warm tint, or there was a way to mod it with a better emitter, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

One thing you can try is getting a Solarforce P60 host and and their lantern head attachment.  I have a Solarforce L2X-extended (2x18650) that I keep my LT1 head on for camping and the like.  I've got a LumensFactory HCRI XPG 3 mode module in it.  The illumination it gives off isn't as uniform as the Ray-o-Vac lantern, but the 2x18650-2600's I use in it give just as much run-time as the 3xD cells in the Ray-o-Vac.

If you like, let me know, and I'll post some pics of them side by side for you, but you'll have to wait until it gets dark where I am!   :whistle:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%