Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Defender

J-sews · 13 · 3126

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Defender
on: December 26, 2006, 06:03:40 AM
What do you guys think of the Defender?

No, no, not that one! I'm talking about the E2D flashlight that SureFire makes. The local sporting goods store only has two models of fancy flashlights; either the E2D, or the bigger 9P, both by SureFire. The guy behind the counter was showing me them both last Friday. I didn't care for the 9P, even though it was bright enough to burn out my eyeballs, because it was too big for my tastes. Size-wise, the smaller E2D was more to my liking. I mainly use a flashlight for finding my way through the dark swamp before daylight on the way in to my deer hunting spot. I don't want to be carrying any more than I absolutely have to.

Anyhow, that Defender was the right size, but I didn't care for those sharp edges around the bezel and the tailcap. They look cool, but they also look lethal! The sales clerk said that the intent was to use those sharp ends as some sort of a weapon. The SureFire site implies the same thing.

What the heck? It seems like anybody carrying one of these things is more likely to stab themselves! I would probably bleed to death long before the day ever came when I could use it against a bad guy.

* e2d.jpg (Filesize: 53.78 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Defender
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:56:44 PM
What do you guys think of the Defender?

He's a dork...

Oh wait, the flashlight!

I've been after one for a while.  It looks like my "Holy Grail" light, and for more reasons than just having my name on it.  Unfortunately I can't see parting with as many dollars as they usually want for these.  Even used, they fetch a fair price.

The fancy head is indeed for pummelling bad guys into submission, which probably wouldn't help a hunter much.  Unless you are hunting ninjas...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 01:02:19 AM
I dunno. I was seriously thinking about buying one of these. I know I could get a regular non-lethal E2E from some internet sales outlet, but I would prefer to purchase from the local guy, and the Defender is all he's got.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:06:44 PM
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 02:16:39 AM
Thanks! That helps a bit. According to the review, those crowned ends serve some other purposes besides just bloodletting.

I'll have to stop at the sporting goods store and play with it a bit more, to see if it grows on me.  :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:52:50 AM
Thanks! That helps a bit. According to the review, those crowned ends serve some other purposes besides just bloodletting.

I'll have to stop at the sporting goods store and play with it a bit more, to see if it grows on me.  :)

Any crenelated bezel is good for those of us who are getting more forgetful in our old age.  I must admit that I occasionally set a flashlight bezel-down on a hard surface and fail to turn it off.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 03:00:51 AM
Yeah, me too. I never minded too much if I wasted a pair of AA's by doing that, but those 123A Lithiums are expensive!

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:19:19 PM
The crowned bezel is a negative factor in my opinion. It catches on clothing and tears at the flesh.  If intended as a weapon, there are plenty of more effective alternatives.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:39 PM
If you're after a Surefire for the bulletproofness of it, I'd say go for it, because my understanding is they are just that... built like tanks and can take most anything you can throw at them.

But, if you're looking for a good value in a torch, especially with the ability/utility to be upgraded in the future, I'd suggest a Solarforce P60 host instead.  They're good quality hosts for a fraction of the cost of a Surefire, and there isn't a stock Surefire module made that can touch some of the nicer custom P60 modules available on the market right now.  You can get a complete Solarforce set-up, host, cell, and even a mind-blowing Nailbender module for it, for less than the Surefire. 

And, if you want a true pocket rocket, you could get a Solarforce L2M which runs on a single 123 size cell and put a Nailbender SST-90 module in it!  (Ignoring of course you'd get about 10 min. of light on max, and a handy-dandy handwarmer as a result...   :whistle:  but, you know... just sayin'! :D )
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:12 PM
Yep, I'm a big Solarforce fan. Huge amount of light for the money.

I have a L2P with a triple XP-G drop in - lights up the yard light as beast, and looks much the same. Being able to swap out the LED, or change the parts cheaply and easily make this my favourite future proof light.

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:25:32 AM

Wow, that's what I call a necro thread. 7 years :ahhh

:D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:04 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, that's what I call a necro thread. 7 years :ahhh

:D
:D  the surprising thing is the E2D is still a pretty good light.

Offline joebw

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:52:12 AM
Hi,

The Maglite Mag-Tac with the scalloped bezel probably deserves a look.  I really like the three that I have.

Cheers - Joe

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD