Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

advice with the USPS? help if you have any advice on how claims- inquiries work

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
I have mailed a lot of items with the USPS, however, I have only had to report two lost items. So, I looking for advice here.
The first time, I called the post office and gave them the tracking number. They called me back the next day and informed me it would be delivered within a couple days and it was. Just recently I mailed an item on December 12th to great britian. I mailed a second item to the same person 5 days later. They have had the second item for more than a week. Still no sign of the first item. When I look it up on the USPS site it shows it left our california facility on the 18th, that is where items leave the country on the west coast. I called the post office today and the USPS rep says it must be in great britain and in order to file an inquiry or a claim, the recipient in great britain should call their postal service. Is that right? I thought for sure the insurance claim should be with the USPS here in the united states, and as the seller I should do the work for a refund, not the customer...
Thanks in advance for any info.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
The person paying the postage requests the claim, in my experience.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
that is what i thought. Thanks Mr. Whippy.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
I got on the royal mail website and as expected, it says that claims can only be filed with the postage sent, or in other words, usps postage means the claim would be filed with the USPS. I just dont know why the USPS rep would give me such false info. I am going to call the USPS back and push back.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
I got on the royal mail website and as expected, it says that claims can only be filed with the postage sent, or in other words, usps postage means the claim would be filed with the USPS. I just dont know why the USPS rep would give me such false info. I am going to call the USPS back and push back.

Good luck with that.  Unless you had the package insured, you're going to be pretty much SOL.  USPS lost a box of books I sent through them last summer that was 12" x 12" x 16"!   :rant: 

It was somewhat my fault, because I made the mistake of assuming they couldn't lose anything that big, so I didn't request delivery confirmation or insurance.  Regardless, I no longer have any faith in USPS to complete a successful delivery anymore without extreme measures on my part.

Now, I always use delivery confirmation, and also insure whatever I send for at least double the actual value of what ever it is I'm shipping.  That's really the key to making sure USPS really does get you your package, insurance.  So far for me it's stopped any problems in their tracks, before they start, which is the best way to deal with them.  Otherwise, even with just delivery confirmation, there's no guarantee that you'll actually get your package.  They are that incompetent
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I had a package go missing last year.  According to the USPS tracking info it never even left the US, but when the sender asked about it the PO person insisted it had (don't know how they could say that, but they did)  :facepalm:

If it is something expensive and/or difficult to replace I ask (and pay for) insurance, but generally it costs so much extra to insure it is more economic to take the risk.

I have a very low non-delivery rate from the US to Oz, but sometimes it seems like the system gets a bit constipated, like at the moment I have several packages that are "overdue".
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
It hasn't always been this bad.  Ten years ago, I actually shipped a small dirt bike by USPS.  They damaged the forks and promptly paid the claim.  (The package had been dropped or run over).

In the last 5 years, USPS has become notoriously unreliable.  I had an Atwood item (sent from Peter) go missing for 12 weeks. He only lives in MA and I'm in MD.  USPS had no idea what happened.  It eventually showed up with no explanation... ???

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Scrap have you tried using the USPS tracking number on The Royal Mail's website  :think:
http://track2.royalmail.com/portal/rm/track;jsessionid=DX2LOTTMAUKXOFB2IGIVFHQ;jsessionid=DX2LOTTMAUKXOFB2IGIVFHQ?catId=22700601&emt=emt&track=track&default=default&imageRootPath=&loc=en_GB&keyname=track_home&gear=track
I tend to use 'Registered Mail' that does not have tracking by Australia Post but once the item arrives in the US , Canada & the UK(I think) it is fully track-able by those countries postal services. 

Maybe it got stuck in customs  :think: you probably have tried/considered these things already  :think: :think:
Hope it turns up mate(s)  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24