Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the deal with Clif bars?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
What's the deal with Clif bars?
on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:28 AM
So a lot of outdoor/backpacking places seem to make it out to be something awesome. I bought a box to try, and so far honestly don't see what's special about them. The taste is average at best, and when compared with other granola bars the nutritional information is pretty much the same, high in sugar particularly. Okay so it's made of 70% organic ingredients, but I don't care for that at all (not that I want to eat pesticides, but the standard for organic food label has a lot of BS going on what qualifies and what doesn't).

So anyone can explain this to me or are your experiences similar to mine?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: What's the deal with Clif bars?
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:14:38 AM
So a lot of outdoor/backpacking places seem to make it out to be something awesome. I bought a box to try, and so far honestly don't see what's special about them. The taste is average at best, and when compared with other granola bars the nutritional information is pretty much the same, high in sugar particularly. Okay so it's made of 70% organic ingredients, but I don't care for that at all (not that I want to eat pesticides, but the standard for organic food label has a lot of BS going on what qualifies and what doesn't).

So anyone can explain this to me or are your experiences similar to mine?
Have you ever tried a PowerBar?  :barf:  If you have, you'd understand why Clif bars are so much better...   :pok:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:18 PM
No, I usually buy natural valley granola bar and they are quite good, comes in crunchy or chewy.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
I used to buy nature valley bars here too, but then for some odd reason they stopped selling them.

all the others seem to have that milk/chocolate coating I can't stand... or they are just vile.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:01:09 PM
IMHO, Clif bars, are for the most part, the best "energy" bar around right now.  I've tried a lot of other ones, particularly from my cycling past, and of them all, I like the Clif bars the best.  There are certain ones I do avoid though, namely the 'carrot cake' ones; they have little bits of dried carrot in them actually, and chewing on one is like what I'd imagine eating a freeze-dried slug would be like.  My favorites are the chocolate fudge and chocolate chip ones.

I remember when PowerBars first came out... eating one wasn't much different than trying to eat a giant slab of dried Elmer's glue... (Just speculation on my part there, of course!  :whistle: )  with sand in it.   :rant:  God forbid if it was cold outside... then it was like trying to eat a giant Jolly Rancher bar... you'd be lucky to avoid chipping at least one tooth.

I've tried a lot of other ones too, and of the rest, the only ones I really care for are ProMax bars.  Of the ones that are made primarily of protein powder they're the most palatable.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:10:12 PM
I love Clif bars. They're a good reputable company too. The peanut/pretzel Mojo bars are to die for. I always keep a couple of Clif bars on me when out hiking or cycling.

--
sent via carrier pigeon from my secret hideout
'Buzz

--
'Buzz

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:11:02 PM
Try natural valley if you see them, I think they are better tasting than clif cars.

Og course any soft bar will be a brick when froZen, I learned tho hard way to not keep them in outside pocket of ski jacket.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:32:23 PM
Clif bars inspired this "event" after heavy use of them on a climbing trip.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xkhrg-KuY0

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD