Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are you reading?

enki_ck · 321 · 18198

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
What are you reading?
on: December 30, 2012, 03:25:49 AM
I like reading but don't have much time do do so. I don't like reading a few pages every day or during breaks as I like to sink in the world of the book and that takes time. When I read, I READ. That means five+ hours at least without break. That's why I like to limit my reading to when I'm on holiday like now. I decided to do a bit of reading in German this time and a friend recommended me "Die Zwerge" by Markus Heitz. I'm half way in after two days. Not a bad read if you like fantasy books.

So what are you reading right now? What's the last book you read? How did you like it. Which genre do you prefer. Do you have a favorite book? I know we have a few bookworms here. Come in and share. :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What are you reading?
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:30:43 AM
I've been reading Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files", currently on Proven Guilty.  Good light read with a nice sense of humour. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:48 AM
world war z
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:08:50 AM
I'm still reading Arnold's book.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:52:53 PM
I'm on the school books again, so no fiction at the moment :)

The works of F.M. Alexander and various other things on the subject.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:00:24 PM

Its interesting, in its own way.
I

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:09:48 PM

How's it been? Kids behaving? ;)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:51:48 PM

How's it been? Kids behaving? ;)

The "kids" I hang out with every month are totally awesome! :D
The age range is about 18-80, and there's some really interesting and intelligent folk to bounce ideas off. Best education experience of my life bar none :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:19 PM
Currently reading Krondor: The Assassins, by Raymond E. Feist. Part of a quite lengthy series, but, by showing many sides of the story, or actually, by creating many different stories, all about the same world, he keeps it very interesting, still liking it after a book or 7.  :)

Can't say the same about, for example, the 'sword of truth' series, by Terry Goodkind. After I had read 5 of the books, I could predict the general plot of the next book flawlessly  :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:45 AM
Right now I'm reading The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer.  It's about the Battle off Samar on October 25, 1944.  The main Japanese fleet, including the largest battleship ever built, was outfought and outbluffed by a small group of very small US Navy warships, the combined weight of who was less than the Japanese flagship alone.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar  Military history has always been fascinating to me.  I've been reading less and less fiction lately, but my favorite writers include Stephen King and Ernest Hemingway.  I'm like enki - when I start reading, I'll do it for hours at a time if I have the chance.  I'm a pretty fast reader, and go through books pretty quickly.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 03:27:43 AM
A friend bought me the entire collection of Inspector Morse novels in paperback for Christmas, so I've just started the first of those

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:52 AM
I'm still reading Arnold's book.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

+1

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 06:31:47 AM
This weird forum at this whacky website called Multitool.org, it's full of kooks.  :D

Needed to touch base with one the masters of sci-fi, so Have Space Suit Will Travel.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 06:25:34 AM
South,The story of Earnest Shackletons Expedition, I love all about Shackleton, he is one of my favorite people.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:40:13 PM
South,The story of Earnest Shackletons Expedition, I love all about Shackleton, he is one of my favorite people.

If you like all things Shackleton then you should read Ice Captain; The life of J.R Stenhouse.  Not quite as stirring a story as that of Shackleton's, but an interesting life none-the-less.

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 12:52:16 PM
I'm reading Back to Bologna by Michael Dibdin.
I loved the tv series with Rufus Sewell, and I decided to read the books that inspired it.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 02:48:44 PM
I have just finished " A Higher Call, an incredible true story of combat and chivalry in the war-torn skies of world war II" by  Adam Makos with Larry Alexander.

Its basicly a war biography about the German Fighter Ace Franz Stigler and the USAF bomber pilot Charlie Brown before and after their increible meeting high above Germany in 1943.

I liked it a lot, especially since it paints a pretty good picture of how the Germans experienced the madness of the Nazi party and how it gradually turned Germany into a nightmare.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:18 PM

If you like all things Shackleton then you should read Ice Captain; The life of J.R Stenhouse.  Not quite as stirring a story as that of Shackleton's, but an interesting life none-the-less.
Gareth, That does look interesting,I was on that website a while ago. Lots of information.I love that kind of thing, Thanks for the recomendation!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 11:13:36 PM
I'm reading the second of Lee Childs jack Reacher novels...not impressed too be very honest.Cant wait to finish it and get back to Arakis,for Chapter House Dune by Frank Herbert
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 04:30:27 PM
I have to admit I'd never even heard of the Jack Reacher books until the film came out.  Not my normal type of read though so I feel OK with my ignorance. :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 06:07:45 PM
Me either.  I may have to look them up now.  I wouldn't mind seeing how the character is supposed to be without being "Tom-ified."

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 04:07:41 PM
I've just finished Robin Hobbs 'Assassin' trilogy - she's a brilliant US fantasy writer, and I've started 'Everything is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer, which I'm having mixed feelings about.

My favourite books are 'To Kill a Mockingbird' 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'Down and Out in Paris and London', but I also love William Gibson for some throw away fun.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 06:42:36 PM
I've been reading Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files", currently on Proven Guilty.  Good light read with a nice sense of humour. :)

:2tu:

I ploughed through this series in near record time. I think I ploughed through the Aubrey/Maturin series (on which the movie 'Master and Commander was based) a little faster, but Dresden Files are easy, fun reads.

I'm just waiting for a friend's copy of 'Cold Days' to become available to catch up.

I just got 'Cloud Atlas' from the library, and cracked it open last night. I haven't started it in ernest yet, but even the first two pages show great promise.

And... also... I'm working on proofing a manuscript for a friend. That's going to be a tough chore, since I can't buy in to the main premise. Ugg...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 07:34:29 PM
I've just finished Robin Hobbs 'Assassin' trilogy - she's a brilliant US fantasy writer, and I've started 'Everything is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer, which I'm having mixed feelings about.

My favourite books are 'To Kill a Mockingbird' 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'Down and Out in Paris and London', but I also love William Gibson for some throw away fun.

loved the Assassin books, though it's been years since I read them now.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 07:35:30 PM
Well the Japanese lost off Samar, hardly a surprise ending to my last book.   ::)  That's one downside to reading history, you know how it ends....  Last night I started Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie, again about World War II.  If anyone saw the miniseries The Pacific on HBO, this is one of the books that it was based on. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:17 PM

Did you read the 'Tawny Man' trilogy too? If so, what did you think? They're next on my list of hers to read. Loved the Liveship books too.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:21 PM

Did you read the 'Tawny Man' trilogy too? If so, what did you think? They're next on my list of hers to read. Loved the Liveship books too.

I did, and if you liked Fitz and the Fool then I think you'll like the Tawny Man books.  A small disclaimer though, it has been ten years since I read them. :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 08:21:32 PM

I did, and if you liked Fitz and the Fool then I think you'll like the Tawny Man books.  A small disclaimer though, it has been ten years since I read them. :D

Yup; Fitz the Fool, and Nighteyes too. I shan't hold you responsible if I'm not 100% delighted though Gareth. I've loved everything else I've read of hers.

Cheers

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 07:52:38 PM
Picked this up from a local dog rescue shop the other day,great read plus I like her way of thinking as it's the way I feel about how dogs work  :tu:
IMG_00000075.jpg
* IMG_00000075.jpg (Filesize: 167.49 KB)

ye Offline Sam Quint

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:30 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31