Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are you reading?

enki_ck · 321 · 17464

bavaria Offline Humppa

Re: What are you reading?
Reply #240 on: January 22, 2016, 07:49:43 PM
Just read the warranty card and the instruction manual for my Vic Spartan Lite.

But I also just read Stephen King "Dark Tower" - all seven books. But in english language... not that easy... but not impossible  :mn:

You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #241 on: January 31, 2016, 04:09:35 PM
Life As We Knew It - I like the book, I think if we've got preppers around here, they may like it, too :D

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #242 on: February 04, 2016, 01:20:15 AM
Just started to read " Shackleton " Its a new novel on my hero Ernest Shackleton and the voyage of the Endurance

if you're interested in Shackleton and british polar exploration may I recommend an unsung here ? It's from the perspective of one of the crew who was on 3 of the 4 expeditions - including the Endurance
http://www.micksmith.co.uk/an-unsung-hero.php
Thanks eamo ! I will look into that  :tu: :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #243 on: February 04, 2016, 02:25:16 AM
Tonight I started The Haunting of Hill House.  It's considered a horror/ghost classic but I've never read it for some reason. :think:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #244 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:32 AM
I'm thinking that it's time gave the Illiad another try.

Nothing really heavy --- more of like adolescent book...something you'd read in 3rd/4th grade...

Second picture shows Rey's toolkit as shown in the book...

Excellent advice in there. "Get the best tools you can, learn to use them and maintain them properly." I think that says it all on that topic.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #245 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:15 AM
“Ti tusen skygger: en historie om Norge og de spedalske”, which translates to “Ten thousand shadows: a (hi)story about/of Norway and those infected with leprosy”. Sobering stuff. In the 1800s Norway was the European country worst hit by leprosy.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #246 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:17 AM
They said the book had some interesting tidbits that didn't make it in the movie -- mostly because some things were better said in words than acted out on screen.
IMG_1920.JPG
* IMG_1920.JPG (Filesize: 312.48 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #247 on: February 11, 2016, 01:42:00 AM
Im on a big Zombie book marathon right now.  With the walking dead success there are TONS of zombie writers now and some are so bad its not funny.  I tried zombie fallout and once vampires were introduced as zombie leaders I gave up that series. 

Right now Im reading the Mountain Man series by Keith C. Blackmore and so far its been an awesome zombie read.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #248 on: February 11, 2016, 05:30:08 AM

CCNA was mandatory for me to pass before I could get my degree :ahhh
It's been a while. I need to renew :ahhh Good luck with the studying!

how long ago did you pass it?  I ask because they have made a lot of changes in the past several years,  things that were in CCNP are now in CCENT   ::)
a while ago lol... Back when it was 640-801. I'm a stay at home mom now so I'm probably not going to be recertifying anytime soon. :facepalm:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: February 11, 2016, 10:20:18 AM
Just read the warranty card and the instruction manual for my Vic Spartan Lite.

But I also just read Stephen King "Dark Tower" - all seven books. But in english language... not that easy... but not impossible  :mn:

What was your impression of The Dark Tower, I felt that it really lost some of it's charm somewhere after the third book or so. I think it would work wonderfully as a TV-series though!

As for me, just about to go on to Asimov's Second Foundation after finishing the two first parts. I will be interesting to see if HBO goes on with their plans for a series, I don't really see how that would work to be honest.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #250 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:40 PM
Xenophon, the father of Business/Public Management
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #251 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:11 PM
I'm still on a zombie / end of the world / apocalypse reading frenzy (well audio books, but they do exist as actual books)

As you might expect there is alot of walking dead ripoff series and alot of just, me too junk.  Ive gone through about 9 authors now and finally found one that is worth mentioning.

Chris Philbrook, author of Adrian's undead Diary.  There are 8 volumes and im up to vol 5.  Its is hands down the best zombie / survive the apocalypse series I have ever read by far.  Its funny, well thought out, intelligent and inventive.  The best of the rest of the other zombie books Ive read maybe could claim a 5 out of 10, but this series is a clear 10. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #252 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:30 AM
I'm still on a zombie / end of the world / apocalypse reading frenzy (well audio books, but they do exist as actual books)

As you might expect there is alot of walking dead ripoff series and alot of just, me too junk.  Ive gone through about 9 authors now and finally found one that is worth mentioning.

Chris Philbrook, author of Adrian's undead Diary.  There are 8 volumes and im up to vol 5.  Its is hands down the best zombie / survive the apocalypse series I have ever read by far.  Its funny, well thought out, intelligent and inventive.  The best of the rest of the other zombie books Ive read maybe could claim a 5 out of 10, but this series is a clear 10.
I figured you would have said taxes or the instructions to your new toy,, lol
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #253 on: April 30, 2016, 12:29:50 AM

I'll look those up. :tu: 

Have a look at Charlie Higson's The Enemy series.  It's classed as 'young' adult horror, though I suspect that's only because the protagonists are kids. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #254 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:59 AM
Not reading anything crazy. Reading The New Testament and on the side the Compete Works of Josephus.

I am however a huge Stephen King fan owning almost everything he's written and I dabble I other fiction as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #255 on: December 05, 2016, 09:22:45 PM
To spawn this topic up:

I am currently reading the book originally titled Apprivoiser son ombre, le côté mal aimé de soi by Jean Moubourquette. English translation of the title would be something like Taming the shadow - the unloved side of oneself .

The author tries to explain the Jungian psychological concept of "shadow" - the dark, unconscious side of an individual's psyche and traits - and to guide the reader in meeting and dealing with his own shadow - a more-or-less painful process that ought to be the start of the individuation and transfomation of oneself. This is not something you would quickly read on a beach but a deep and seriously thought-provoking read - especially if you:
a) cultivate general interest in deep, analytic psychology
b) recognized certain neurotic thought and behaviour patterns in yourself or others and you are interested in resolving them to break free from them.

Those who are not yet introduced to the general psychological teachings of Carl Gustav Jung should first read the main introductory works where Jung and his closest students explain the basic Jungian psyche theories. Without understanding the general outline of psyche according to Jung, this book can't be used to its full potential. This is not your average mainstream psychological self-help manual, far from it.

There has been a lot of misunderstanding and mocking the Jungian psyche theories in modern psychological schools, but I find the Jung's thoughts, observations and theories generally fascinating. The more I read his works, the more stunned I am. I consider C.G. Jung one of the greatest minds ever in the history of mankind. This is something every human being should read if he/she is willing and capable of understanding the meaning, depth and power of these words. Unfortunately, I fear that only a very small percentage of Homo Sapiens is currently capable of doing so.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:26:59 PM by Subterranean »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #256 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:45 PM
Just finished "Rough-Water Man", by Richard Westwood. Its about US Geological Survey mapping expeditions of the San Juan, Green, and Colorado Rivers in the 1920s. Even 50 years after John Wesley Powell traveled the Grand Canyon much of the region remained unsurveyed. The book focuses on Elwyn Blake (the author's uncle), who was a boat man and surveyor's assistant on three of the major projects. A nice read for anyone interested in the Colorado Plateau.

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #257 on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:43 AM
My latest, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, is Compass by Alan Gurney. A fascinating history of the windrose and navigation at sea.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #258 on: December 07, 2016, 06:15:59 AM
My latest, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, is Compass by Alan Gurney. A fascinating history of the windrose and navigation at sea.

Sounds interesting.

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #259 on: December 07, 2016, 11:05:14 AM
Before that, I read Mike Dash's Batavia's graveyard - about a famous shipwreck, mutiny and mass murder, and Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before - about another shipwreck and the search for the secret of longitude. Equally fascinating!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:10:09 AM by Ronald Schröder »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #260 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:16 PM

Sounds interesting.

Yeah thinking that
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #261 on: December 08, 2016, 12:41:16 AM
Probably the best book I've read this year:

"Team of Rivals", by Doris Goodwin. Excellent book about Abraham Lincoln and his cabinet, most of whom had fought against him for the nomination and felt they were better qualified for the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Rivals-Political-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/0743270754/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481153698&sr=1-1&keywords=team+of+rivals

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #262 on: December 08, 2016, 02:01:57 AM
I was reading the latest issue of Rider Magazine (motorcycle mag) in the library this morning..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #263 on: December 08, 2016, 02:30:11 AM
Currently reading this:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=post;topic=41694.240;last_msg=1391736

But earlier today I was reading "The Riders of High Rock" a Hopalong Cassidy novel by Louis L'Amour.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #264 on: January 05, 2017, 01:28:22 AM
I was reading 20,000 leagues under the sea, and I got a little over half way, but that took me over 2yrs so I kinda gave up.. I'm just not a big reader, yet my son bought me a little something for Xmas, and I must say I'm already up to chapter 5 after only a few chances to read, I really don't want to put it down!

It's the book that started it all, the original start to Die Hard, the start off is totally diff, were also back in 1970s, it's also a follow up to another book which I didn't know called the detective, and I think there making another die hard but it's suppose to show flashbacks of how he started, so it might be part of that book.

But, being so hooked on this book the Mrs got me a little something, she bought the second book written by a diff author, 58minutes, which is mentioned in the movie, the one bad guy says the generals plane will be landing in 58min. But she also got the 3rd and a cool bookmark, I thought it was cool so she got it. :D
JR
IMG_5692.PNG
* IMG_5692.PNG (Filesize: 196.94 KB)
IMG_5709.PNG
* IMG_5709.PNG (Filesize: 190.66 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #265 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:33 AM
To spawn this topic up:

I am currently reading the book originally titled Apprivoiser son ombre, le côté mal aimé de soi by Jean Moubourquette. English translation of the title would be something like Taming the shadow - the unloved side of oneself .

The author tries to explain the Jungian psychological concept of "shadow" - the dark, unconscious side of an individual's psyche and traits - and to guide the reader in meeting and dealing with his own shadow - a more-or-less painful process that ought to be the start of the individuation and transfomation of oneself. This is not something you would quickly read on a beach but a deep and seriously thought-provoking read - especially if you:
a) cultivate general interest in deep, analytic psychology
b) recognized certain neurotic thought and behaviour patterns in yourself or others and you are interested in resolving them to break free from them.

Those who are not yet introduced to the general psychological teachings of Carl Gustav Jung should first read the main introductory works where Jung and his closest students explain the basic Jungian psyche theories. Without understanding the general outline of psyche according to Jung, this book can't be used to its full potential. This is not your average mainstream psychological self-help manual, far from it.

There has been a lot of misunderstanding and mocking the Jungian psyche theories in modern psychological schools, but I find the Jung's thoughts, observations and theories generally fascinating. The more I read his works, the more stunned I am. I consider C.G. Jung one of the greatest minds ever in the history of mankind. This is something every human being should read if he/she is willing and capable of understanding the meaning, depth and power of these words. Unfortunately, I fear that only a very small percentage of Homo Sapiens is currently capable of doing so.

I studied psychotherapy for a couple of years about a decade ago, but never connected with the Jungian approach. I could draw some parallels from his observations, but overall I found them too abstract and struggled to associate with them. I ought to revisit it and see if can relate better today

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #266 on: January 05, 2017, 09:42:11 AM
Nearly finished 'Strange Angel' about Jack Parsons the rocket engineer who was central to the success of rocket science and the space program etc who just happened to be a member of the OTO and mentor of Aleister Crowley and would recite Crowleys 'Hymn to Pan' as his rockets launched. Fascinating character.

Next up is 'The Queens Conjurer' about Dr John Dee, Elizabeth I's astrologer.

Also have 'Quicksilver' and 'The Confusion' by Neal Stephenson lined up.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #267 on: January 05, 2017, 09:52:36 AM
I red many books during the holidays, mainly history and popular science. I'm reading this right now.

I also started reading Flatland on my tablet.

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #268 on: January 05, 2017, 10:34:31 AM
Flatland looks interesting KK - I will add it to my list.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #269 on: January 05, 2017, 02:08:11 PM
Flatland is cool. It explains why we can't see the fourth dimension (and higher up).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%