Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Star Wars

PTRSAK · 685 · 35129

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
New Star Wars
on: January 27, 2013, 05:44:31 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-27/jj-abrams-to-direct-next-star-wars-film/4486140

Lucasfilm, bought by Disney, planning to bring out another StarWars trilogy, Lucas not writing or directing, just a "creative consultant"...

I have a bad feeling about this.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New Star Wars
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:28:41 AM
There is also talk of a live action tv show.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:15:19 AM
I heard that instead of John Williams they will be using Elton John and Tim Rice to score the film.

Sent from my Leatherman Core using Tapatalk 2

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:02 AM
Also a spin off sitcom featuring jar jar and young anakin..*puke*

I'll stick to making paper origami millennium falcons

Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:49:46 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-27/jj-abrams-to-direct-next-star-wars-film/4486140

Lucasfilm, bought by Disney, planning to bring out another StarWars trilogy, Lucas not writing or directing, just a "creative consultant"...

I have a bad feeling about this.

Oh lord...   :facepalm:

I'm planning on buying season 5 of Clone Wars, but this is just out of control.  I think I'm gonna be off Star Wars for a long while after this.  :puke:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
 :facepalm: ill have too see it but I feel ill be disappointed  :-\

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:16:56 AM
1) Talk of a Boba Fett TV series has been going on for YEARS, which would follow his teen years, I guess.

2) The Robot Chicken guys already had a Star Wars TV show in the works (I thought even a few bits released) before Disney bought them.

3) There has been some pretty decent work in the Star Wars universe that had nothing to do with Lucas.

4) Lucas is not that great of a director, and particularly shows his terribleness in ANY romantic scene.

So... everyone... maybe calm down and judge whatever comes out on its own merit, instead of jumping to rash judgement. It's not like whoever follows can Smurf up Star Wars more than Lucas did himself. Well... mostly... :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:42:08 AM
1) Talk of a Boba Fett TV series has been going on for YEARS, which would follow his teen years, I guess.

2) The Robot Chicken guys already had a Star Wars TV show in the works (I thought even a few bits released) before Disney bought them.

3) There has been some pretty decent work in the Star Wars universe that had nothing to do with Lucas.

4) Lucas is not that great of a director, and particularly shows his terribleness in ANY romantic scene.

So... everyone... maybe calm down and judge whatever comes out on its own merit, instead of jumping to rash judgement. It's not like whoever follows can Smurf up Star Wars more than Lucas
 did himself. Well... mostly... :D

:rofl: this is true but romantic scenes in starwars  :ahhh   :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:32:12 AM
Look folks,lets be honest,the new trilogy sucked anyway.Anything the House of the Rat will do isnt gonna be great.Lets just orgaise a wake,get drunk,and get over it.

RIP Star Wars
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:37 AM
apparently J.J. Abrams will direct EP VII...

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/j-j-abrams-star-wars-2/

:facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:29:59 PM
We will just have to wait and see what they make. It might actually be a decent movie. :think:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:29 PM

So... everyone... maybe calm down and judge whatever comes out on its own merit, instead of jumping to rash judgement. It's not like whoever follows can Smurf up Star Wars more than Lucas did himself. Well... mostly... :D

I'm with Lynn, it's not like Lucas did a great job on the second trilogy anyway.  JJ Abrams did do a good enough job on Star Trek IMO that I'm interested to see what he might do with Star Wars.  I'm not going to panic until there is actually something in production and I get to see where they are going with this.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 02:02:27 PM
I have nothing to add, I just wanted to do this... :vader:

:D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 03:25:54 PM
Disney will do whatever Disney feels will make its stockholders the most money. Now, for Star Wars, that simply means making stuff as many people as possible will like, i.e. fork over money for. Remember, Disney used to own Miramax, which released movies rather devoid of glitterings princesses like Clerks, Trainspotting and Gangs of New York during Disney's ownership. For most Star Wars fans, I think new ownership of the franchise is a good thing. Lucas could do whatever he liked with Star Wars, since he wasn't answerable to anyone.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Star Wars fan and not a Disney fan, though I do love a good Goofy cartoon. (Disney the company makes me want to start swearing about Mickey Mouse and copyright law, but that's politics so not in here...)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:46 PM
I honestly believe that JJ will be more true to Star Wars than Lucas has been.

Sent from my Leatherman Core using Tapatalk 2

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 04:11:56 PM
I think they could end up making a really good trilogy!  I've read a TON of Star Wars books (which are mostly 3 books per series), and enjoyed them all.

There's a lot more to the Star Wars universe than just the Skywalkers, and the stories have great potential to make great movies, IMHO.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:59:23 PM
It doesn't matter how bad they end up being. Hardcore nerds (like me) will still line up to see them.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 05:17:50 PM
It doesn't matter how bad they end up being. Hardcore nerds (like me) will still line up to see them.

Def

And that my friends is exactly why the house of rat bought it!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 05:28:54 PM
Yup. No doubt.

Def

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:06 PM
It's unlikely to lose them money, whatever kind of film they make.... and yes, I'll want to see it too ::)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:42 AM
I'll chime in to back up what Lynn mentioned about Lucas... he was never a very good director.  He's not even that good of a story writer. 

That said, to make a digression, I don't think Spielberg is a good director either.  But, put them together, and you get the Lennon and McCartney of movies direction/production. 

Lucas doesn't have the technical eye or skills, but he has "the vision thing"...  he knows how a plot should develop, he understands the idea of the epic story line, and so on.  I don't think there's many people in movies who are better at embodying the Joseph Campbell hero idea in his work than Lucas.  Spielberg, on the other hand, is an excellent technical director, but he completely lacks "the vision thing".  He understands angles, transitions, pans, zooms, framing, vignetting, and all that photographic/videographic composition stuff.  He just has no freaking imagination of his own.  But again, put them together, and they've made some simply awesome movies.

Personally, I think JJ Abrams is a hack.  He's a young version of James Cameron, who really only has ever done one kind of movie.  Ever notice that "Avatar" is pretty much the same as "Alien/Aliens"?  Same overall plot, storyline, events, and so on.  For proof of my claim here, just look at Abrams' work with the Transformers movies.  Not that they aren't technically well done movies with great FX, but every movie Abrams has directed is pretty much the same movie, just change out the character names, locations, and so on.  Bleh.  I'm sure Episode VII will follow in the same suit; people will love it because of the FX, the scenery, the action, and so on.  Just expect it to be the same thing as any of his other movies, just with different names in the same kind of story. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 10:20:21 AM
On a slightly more serious,if geeky note,I wonder if the house of the rat are going to keep the post Battle of Endor story lines established in the Lucas approved books?

Timothy Zahn's Heirs to the Empire trilogy wasn't bad,in fact one of the better book series .The Rougue Squadron books could make the basis of a good TV series.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:02 AM
I did go and see Eps 1-3 at the cinema, and still wouldn't mind picking them up on DVD at some point. As regards future releases, I think I'll skip the cinema stage and keep my eye on supermarket DVD bargains  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 10:57:04 AM
I did not see EP1-3 in cinemas, I did see IV-VI... true I was very young, but still... I snapped up the opportunity to grab the I-VI set on Bluray just after it came out. I wasn't keen on the prequels, but I figured I'd mind as well have the whole set for all the extras, as I already had the IV-VI DVD set...

I can't remember how many times Grant & I watched the VHS remasters or the original trilogy years ago... probably enough to wear out the tapes. Nothing good on TV, and no money to rent anything else, watch star wars... again :P

I think that now that the prequel story is out of the way it should be much easier to carry on... I wouldn't mind seeing story lines based on the Solo twins...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 12:09:57 PM
On a slightly more serious,if geeky note,I wonder if the house of the rat are going to keep the post Battle of Endor story lines established in the Lucas approved books?

Timothy Zahn's Heirs to the Empire trilogy wasn't bad,in fact one of the better book series .The Rougue Squadron books could make the basis of a good TV series.

I'd love to see Shadows Of The Empire, although maybe it would have to be an animated movie since it stars the original cast, except Han Solo who was frozen in carbonite at the time.

I also think an X Wing series would be pretty cool, but only as long as there's a spinoff with Wraith Squadron!

"Get a good look fast before Kell blows it up."

"I don't have to blow up everything I see.  I just like to..."

:rofl:

I'd love to see "Yub yub Commander" become a catch phrase...

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:13 PM
WHOOSH!!!

(That was the sound of that lot flying over my head  :P )

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:36 PM
Shadows Of The Empire was a book written to fit neatly between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and explains where Leia got the bounty hunter costume, where Luke got the black outfit he wears all the way through the Return of the Jedi and so on.  It's a really good book, and well worth the read.

Wraith Squadron was a side project by Wedge Antilles, the only pilot to survive two Death Star runs- the first being with Luke and the second being with Lando.  When Wedge reformed Rogue Squadron he looked for pilots with other training as well, such as counter insurgency, hand to hand combat, code slicing etc.  When he developed the Wraith Squadron concept he went the other way, finding people whose primary specialties were things like demolitions, infantry, intelligence etc and helped them develop piloting skills.  To save money on training costs he started with recruits who were being washed out, so basically he ended up with a band of misfits, including one guy named Kell Tainer who was a demolitions and hand to hand combat speSmurfpillst who wanted to fly fighters in memory of his father who was a fighter pilot.  He likes to blow things up...

The Yub yub Commander became a running joke in Wraith Squadron because during the initial screening process Wedge was (jokingly) told that one of the applicants was a genetically enhanced Ewok, and that joke took on a life of it's own.

There you go- all up to speed now... :D

Def

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:04 PM
Hub hub Al,sorry you asked?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:11 PM
Ahhh that's better! All makes sense now  :D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:01 PM
Personally I think they should've left well alone after the first three  films were made. True classics of their time and to me far far better than the later trilogy.

The original worked simply because if it was fresh and with virtually no-name actors it became almost believable.

The second attempt episodes IV-VI are quite simply appalling in my view. A ridiculous amount of poorly executed CGI's coupled with famous actors thus bringning type-cast problems with it too. I could actually have forgiven the CGI effect's (bit like shoulder pads in the 80's). But the use of Ewan McGregor was a huge mistake, along with Liam Neeson. It just completely destroyed the whole illusion to me. Their characters should have been played by unknown  actors, thus bringing a real sense of originality to the franschise or failing that an actor of Johnny Depps calibre may well have worked too. As it is, I and many others simply couldn't get "in to it".
Rubbish in my view - but I guess the money was more important.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%