Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 57338

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 12:44:21 PM
Just thought I share a photo of mine from a run back in Nov.... Grant by the way I like the updated Avatar  :tu:
Ahh, nice pic!  That looks like a great place to wheel!

All you guys with your JKU's are making me jealous.  That will definitely be my next Jeep, unless we get a bigger camper.

Here's a shot from one of the times we went wheeling when I was a little less than successful...
Grant, make sure you leave those pics out of your ad when you go to sell it.  :rofl:

And here's another one done by the same friend and GoPro of another day with DerekMac and a few other people:

Off-Roading with some Jeeps on some trails and of coarse lots of mud...

Even CRKT has a cameo in that one!  :D

Def
Woohoo, I'm a movie star.  Now the secret's out that I'm the famous one on MTO.  :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 10:22:53 AM
Great vids. I haven't done any real wate crossings let but that's looks like a tough/fun jam.  Did you have to pull the plus out of the floor boards. Thanks for the compliments by the way.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 12:13:42 PM
I pulled the floor plugs out of my yellow one a few years ago and never put them back in.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 09:04:04 PM
I never pulled mine, but then again I've never been in water that's deep enough to get inside. I don't like places I can't see what's in it (that and mud/deep water is really bad for clutch and fan), lots of stories of tree huggers hiding nail board inside to puncture tires when I was active on jeepforum.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 09:25:40 PM
My beloved yellow TJ leaked in the rain. We get lots of rain here.  That's the main reason I had the plugs out.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 04:56:14 PM
I'm just dropping off my Jeep at the dealership now. When I picked it up it hadn't been under coated yet so I made an appointment to get it done today, which is good since Thursday the windshield cracked on it.  No big deal, it's just a flaw in the glass but as its as brand new truck they may not have a replacement in for it yet.

Right now I'm just waiting for a loaner car, which I hope is substantial as there's a fair bit of ice and snow on the roads.

Def

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 07:43:29 AM
Wow that's unfortunate none the less. I've been thinking of undercoating my jeep, but SO CAL weather and road conditions are not very threatening when it comes to rust.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:47 PM
It's a totally different case here. In the last year I've had to take both a Leatherman MUT and a Wingman out of my work rotation due to rust issues.  Rust is also one of the reasons my yellow TJ has been retired.  I've chased some of the rust down on it already but it's starting to get time consuming.

If you don't get a car rust protected here, don't expect to get more than five years out of it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 12:06:59 PM
Oh, and the loaner car they gave me is a Dodge Journey minivan.  They replaced my ultimate expression of four wheeled freedom with the ultimate expression of domestication.

Just call me Soccer Def....

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00:29 PM
Oh, and the loaner car they gave me is a Dodge Journey minivan.  They replaced my ultimate expression of four wheeled freedom with the ultimate expression of domestication.

Just call me Soccer Def....

Def

:rofl: 
This will have to be your new bumper sticker now!  :rofl: 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 03:49:25 PM
Better that than the Apple sticker Jeff keeps insisting I need to put on the Jeep!  :P

:D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:45 AM
I got my Jeep back today all under coated and smelly. The windshield is on backorder so that wasn't done and I guess I'll have to take it in another time to get that done.

I'm glad to have it back. While the Journey was a nicer machine than I expected it was very much not me.  One thing I did like better than my Jeep though was the key- or rather lack thereof.  It simply had a fob and a start button, which I liked better than the huge key my Jeep has.

Still, I'm glad to have my Jeep back.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:04 PM
I have a semi hate affair with my key/fob for the focus... I could jokingly call it Excalibur... I've looked into changing it to a flip out keyFOB but apparently it has to be done via a dealership and they don't like replacing standard FOBs with the flip out one... and even less if you get a blank one off ebay.

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 01:42:16 PM
The crack expanded this morning and now goes pretty much all the way across my windshield.  Apparently -13C on the outside and +20C on the inside was a bit much for it!

I hear you on the key fob thing. My VW has a flip out fob and I like that much better than the sword on my Jeep.  Its not just the length though. The key for my old TJ was pretty long too, but the new one is a good sized fob but with a large key sticking out of it.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 01:06:15 AM
Getting ready to be one! I've got my eye on a 2000 jeep wrangler. I've been wanting one for years now, and finally going to get one! Dark blue, soft top, 6 cylinder inline, 31x10.50 tires with mags, towing package and best of all....it's an automatic. Not black though, but that's easy to change. 
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 01:10:56 AM
Don't get too excited about the towing package- it's limited to class 1 towing, which is about 2,000 pounds, and pretty well what most cars are rated at.  For example, my VW will also tow 2,000 pounds.  While the Jeep has the low end grunt to pull a lot more than that it suffers from not a lot of top end and the short wheel base means if you put more than 200 pounds on the tongue you'll end up with a lovely view of the sky when you try to hit the brakes.

Congratulations- if I'd have known you were looking for a 2000 TJ I'd have made you a good deal on mine!  :D

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:35 AM
Getting ready to be one! I've got my eye on a 2000 jeep wrangler. I've been wanting one for years now, and finally going to get one! Dark blue, soft top, 6 cylinder inline, 31x10.50 tires with mags, towing package and best of all....it's an automatic. Not black though, but that's easy to change.

Just remember the auto in TJ is an antique 3 speed, while reliable it eats into the already pathetic gas mileage.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 03:10:25 AM
Thinking about getting a Wrangler soon! But not completely sure, there are a few other vehicles I'm looking at.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:59 AM

Great to hear post some pics when you get one.  I personally am not a big fan of black jeeps. I think they look great but just not for me. Wranglers really do have some great colors. I kind of wished I went with something other than silver, but I decided on silver because I figured in 20 years I'd still love it. If you like modding saks Steve you're going to love modding your jeep.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:49 AM
Thinking about getting a Wrangler soon! But not completely sure, there are a few other vehicles I'm looking at.

Good to hear. In this thread, the only other accteptable choice of vechicle instead of a wrangler would be another jeep  :tu:. I'm just messing, good luck with your search.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 12:51:34 PM

Good to hear. In this thread, the only other accteptable choice of vechicle instead of a wrangler would be another jeep  :tu:. I'm just messing, good luck with your search.
Thanks, the only reason I'm not sure is because I go to the Adirondacks alot (5 hour drive) and many other camping places and a Wrangler would not be as pleasant to drive on a highway for that long as some other choices.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:01 PM
Well my deal feel through, and good thing to. It was rolled, wrecked, bonded back together and had a salvage title. Ugh :( just can't win

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:53 PM

Thanks, the only reason I'm not sure is because I go to the Adirondacks alot (5 hour drive) and many other camping places and a Wrangler would not be as pleasant to drive on a highway for that long as some other choices.

What model wrangler are you looking. I have a 2011 and can tell you from experience that a 5 hour plus ride is really not bad at all. I've doe several and have no complaints.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:32 PM
My new 4 door is a hell of a lot more comfortable on the highway than my TJ was.  The ten hours to Maine was brutal, as were the ten hours back home!

The only other long trip I did in it was to Cape Breton and back in one day, which is about three hours each way.  That was also exhausting.  The short wheelbase is a killer on long trips but is great downtown or in parking lots because you can dance it in and out of any space.

Def

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:15 AM
Now I found another! Not a bad price though. Only thing is its red, but I can paint! It's a 4 cylinder and automatic. Who knows maybe I will get lucky.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 05:51:01 PM
I'd avoid a 4 cylinder like the plague if I were you.  It was a small, underpowered attempt to get around the fuel economy BS of the late 80's.  The inline 6 (4.0L) has enough trouble maintaining highway speeds, and the 2.5L V4 has so little power that it's a major fight to do 50-60mph and if you hit a long hill on a highway, you might as well throw the 4 ways on and hit the shoulder.

It still has a fair bit of low end to it (though not nearly as much as the 4L) so you can go wheeling just about anywhere the I6 guys can go, just be prepared to go slower than they will and perhaps get pulled a little more often than the others.

My concern about the 4 bangers is that they are trying to do the same job that the I6 was doing, which means they have to work that much harder to do it.  Since they are working harder to achieve the same thing (the 4WD system in a Jeep is quite heavy) I always thought there would be a lot more wear and tear on the motor itself, killing parts that much faster and requiring more maintenance.

Because they have to work harder, I don't think there are any significant fuel savings for the 2.5L as a result, so no real benefit there, plus there are a lot less old 2.5's around to scavenge parts from. 

All in all you can make a good case for the 4 cylinder being almost as good as the 4L, but why not just get the 4L in the first place?  That engine was used in the Cherokees and Grand Cherokees as well as the Wranglers and is about as bulletproof as engines come- and there are so many of them around that parts and upgrades are never a problem.

Def

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 02:02:33 AM
Well despite the fact it's a inline 4 it's mine. I figure if I need to later I can change to a 6 if need be. I have built and repaired many motors in my lifetime   Here's a few pics. It will of course be painted black ;)

Whatcha think?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 02:13:38 AM
Nice looking ride you have there!   Welcome to the sore back club!

If the 4 banger goes you may want to consider upgrading to a Chev 305 or 350.

Now all you need to do is to get it dirty!

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 02:14:40 AM
Very nice Steve!  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 02:33:38 AM
Congrats Steve I really like it a lot! What year is it? Looks quite clean, I really love those half doors. If you feel you spend a lot of time on MTO get ready to use the same amount of time on jeep forums. I came on here to get away from them lol.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%