Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 59774

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #600 on: March 24, 2014, 06:05:38 PM
I think when the time comes, I'm going to try for a 2011 Rubicon.  I want the Dana 44's and the lower gearing right off the bat.  The lockers and electric disconnect are just an added bonus for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dunno what size tires you are planning to run or how extreme you are planning to go but I had to regear immediately on 35's and blew my lockers. The problem with the e-lockers is that once they go they can, and often do, get stuck in the locked position. My rear end did that to me in Moab and had to drive it back to Texas with it randomly locking and unlocking. I finally just opened it up and pulled out the locker assembly. The hotel I was staying at wasn't happy to see me doing that in their parking lot, but it made it a hell of a lot safer.

I hate e-lockers and won't be going back to them anytime soon.
You confused me a bit, the lockers blew because of the regear? or just blew in general?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #601 on: March 24, 2014, 06:33:43 PM
I think when the time comes, I'm going to try for a 2011 Rubicon.  I want the Dana 44's and the lower gearing right off the bat.  The lockers and electric disconnect are just an added bonus for me.

Dunno what size tires you are planning to run or how extreme you are planning to go but I had to regear immediately on 35's and blew my lockers. The problem with the e-lockers is that once they go they can, and often do, get stuck in the locked position. My rear end did that to me in Moab and had to drive it back to Texas with it randomly locking and unlocking. I finally just opened it up and pulled out the locker assembly. The hotel I was staying at wasn't happy to see me doing that in their parking lot, but it made it a hell of a lot safer.

I hate e-lockers and won't be going back to them anytime soon.
If I get a 2 door, I won't be going bigger than 33's, and I'd probably also get 33's on a 4 door, but would prefer to have 35's to help compensate for the added length.

It won't be an extreme rig at all, and I won't be doing any extreme wheeling.  Most trails I can do in my Grand with only 31's and a 2" lift, so for a Wrangler I'd be thinking 33's and at max, probably a 2.5" lift, maybe less if I also do a 1" body lift.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #602 on: March 24, 2014, 07:14:15 PM
You can fit 33's without a lift on a JK.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #603 on: March 25, 2014, 12:51:24 AM
You confused me a bit, the lockers blew because of the regear? or just blew in general?

Sorry about that. The locker assembly uses a tiny little piece of steel to hold it all together and that finally broke off causing some serious problems. Had nothing to do with the regear. I should have started a new paragraph. Blown locker is the whole reason I decided to go to D60's. Those things are expensive to replace!

For 35's you will definitely want to regear the Rubi if you are going to an Automatic.

If I get a 2 door, I won't be going bigger than 33's, and I'd probably also get 33's on a 4 door, but would prefer to have 35's to help compensate for the added length.

It won't be an extreme rig at all, and I won't be doing any extreme wheeling.  Most trails I can do in my Grand with only 31's and a 2" lift, so for a Wrangler I'd be thinking 33's and at max, probably a 2.5" lift, maybe less if I also do a 1" body lift.

I ran 35's for a long time on a 2.5" lift and flat fenders. Gonna rub at full flex but that was the only time I rubbed. Heck, I run a 4.5" lift on 37's now and absolutely no rubbing at any point.

You can fit 33's without a lift on a JK.

Def

↑ What he said! Cut those fenders or slap on some flat fenders and call it a day!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #604 on: March 25, 2014, 12:56:32 AM
Thanks for the clarification buddy :salute:, sorry you had such bad luck with them I doubt the 60s will give you problems :D
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #605 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:06 AM
Thanks for the clarification buddy :salute:, sorry you had such bad luck with them I doubt the 60s will give you problems :D

Lol sure hope not! This time I went with ARB air lockers, now if they won't unlock all I have to do is pull the air hose and continue on my merry way.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #606 on: March 25, 2014, 11:53:47 AM
Well I almost ended up needing a new rig sooner than expected.  A stupid driver cut me off yesterday and I was hardly able to avoid hitting her.  If I was thinking, I would've let her hit me.  It wouldn't of been hard enough to hurt me, but they probably would have written the Jeep off.

On another note, man 4 door Rubicons are expensive!!!!!  I think we might end up going to a 2 door.  We're having a hard time trying to decide what we want to do though.  Both of us are thinking that a 2 door is really all we need, which I'm fine with.  Actually kind of prefer the thoughts of a 2 door.  It'll add a little suckage with getting the kids in and out of the back, but they'll only be in it twice a week when I pick them up, and on weekends when we all go wheeling.

I'm also starting to do lots of research, and going through tons of build threads.  I want to know the JK inside and out before I get one. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #607 on: March 25, 2014, 12:03:38 PM
Yup, the Rubicon is pricey- that's why I went with a Sahara.  More features I'll use everyday at a better price.  I gave up the lockers, gear ratio and electronic sway bar disconnects, but saved several thousand dollars on systems that if I was a serious off roader I'd probably replace with heavier versions anyway.

As for "accidentally" saving yourself from a new truck, from what I have seen it's only a matter of time before someone else writes your truck off for you!   ::)

A few weeks ago I was in a parking lot, stopped and waiting for a guy a few cars ahead of me to pull out.  As I was sitting there a woman decided to back out of her space, and since she was coming right at me I hit the horn.  She kept coming so I laid on the horn.  She finally stopped after hitting me.   ::)

Luckily she only caught the tire that I had turned into her to keep her from hitting my fender, so there was no damage on either vehicle.  I wanted to explain to her that the manufacturer of her decrepit old van put a large piece of glass on the back of it for a reason, but I had limited time for lunch.  Hopefully she learned her lesson.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #608 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:08 PM
 :ahhh

The first thing I do if I'm manoeuvring and I hear a horn is slam the brakes on.
Prior to that I try and look where I'm going.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #609 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:56 PM
Most people here seem to just close their eyes and hope for the best.

We really do have a ton of bad drivers in this province.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #610 on: March 29, 2014, 01:42:16 AM
I ordered a 24" LED light bar today.  Can't wait to get it and try it out.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #611 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:48 AM
I still haven't gone wheeling after dark to try mine out and it's been a year or so since I had them installed!   :ahhh

They have come in handy a few times at work and (unofficially) on the highway a few times though.   >:D

Driving out to the airport one night when no one else was on the road I flipped them on and lit up the trees on both sides of the highway.  That can be really handy to spot deer well before they come through my windshield.

Oh, and thanks to an app thing on FB I found out that my JK was number 920,202 in production.  :D

Def
JK Number.jpg
* JK Number.jpg (Filesize: 45.3 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #612 on: March 30, 2014, 12:43:47 AM
I changed my nasty rear u-joint at the axle today.  Two of the caps didn't even have any needle bearings left in them, and zero grease!  With the insane amount of rust on the clips and the body of the u-joint, I'm guessing this one has been on there for a looooong time!

I also no longer have any drive line vibrations!  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #613 on: March 30, 2014, 12:45:29 AM
Nice!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #614 on: March 30, 2014, 12:46:07 AM
I wish they would bring back the CJ7.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #615 on: March 30, 2014, 01:40:11 AM
I changed my nasty rear u-joint at the axle today.  Two of the caps didn't even have any needle bearings left in them, and zero grease!  With the insane amount of rust on the clips and the body of the u-joint, I'm guessing this one has been on there for a looooong time!

I also no longer have any drive line vibrations!  :tu:

Too bad you are only finding out about these problems now- a friend of mine recently sold his '99 Grand that you could have probably gotten cheap and used for parts.

I wish they would bring back the CJ7.

that's us mobile

As cool as that would be, it would never pass EPA or safety regulations!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #616 on: March 30, 2014, 01:43:56 AM
Saddly, your right. Stupid EPA.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #617 on: March 30, 2014, 05:50:55 AM
European Problems Association?
Exclusive Paper Alert?
External Party Aftermath?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #618 on: March 30, 2014, 01:43:07 PM
Environmental Protection Agency.  You know, the guys that dropped that giant dome over Springfield?  :D

Def

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #619 on: March 30, 2014, 09:06:18 PM
Aah, I don't, but I usually don't remember stuff  :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #620 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:01 PM
Gratuitous trolling post from a non Jeep 4x4 driver.  :whistle:

jeep.jpg
* jeep.jpg (Filesize: 189.36 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #621 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:40 PM
I'd probably get a few honks.  :whistle:  :D

I need to get the front right coil spring perch welded on the weekend.  Here's hoping the spring doesn't fly out on the way to the shop!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #622 on: April 18, 2014, 02:21:03 PM
That's not as funny at the moment as it should be- I lost my bug deflector on the highway yesterday!   :ahhh

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #623 on: April 18, 2014, 03:14:01 PM
That's not as funny at the moment as it should be- I lost my bug deflector on the highway yesterday!   :ahhh

Def
Ah man, that really sucks!! 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #624 on: April 18, 2014, 06:31:41 PM
Yup. $100 hunk of plastic gone.

Oh well I have a new, cheaper, aftermarket one on order.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #625 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:24 AM
This is just a short vid of a couple of different spots from last weekends run.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #626 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:16 PM
Well I finally got my 24" LED light bar installed.  :tu:  I started it kind of late last night, and cleaned up the wiring today.

It wasn't easy using my phone to try and take the night comparison pics.  Both my stock, and the LED bar are quite a bit brighter in person.

Here just my low beams.

Low and light bar.

High beams.

High and light bar.

I mounted it back from the windshield so I wouldn't get any glare from the light.

Only a little light spills onto the hood, but I can't see it while sitting in the Jeep.

I still need to trim the mounting bolts as they stick down kind of far.

I think I'm going to use Loctite on all the bolts to help it from walking away.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #627 on: April 22, 2014, 12:32:09 AM
That looks pretty cool! 

The LED lights I have reflect too much on the hood, so it's good that you mounted it a bit further back so you don't get the glare.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #628 on: April 28, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Had a great run yesterday. Here's how the Jeep looks today. The rain washed a bunch of mud off last night.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #629 on: April 28, 2014, 04:23:53 PM
Looks like you had a blast!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds