Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 59846

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #630 on: April 28, 2014, 10:58:51 PM
derekmac: is that Ford pickup in the video only 2WD? You watch the Jeeps sail through like it's nothing, then the Ford makes a complete hash of it.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #631 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:41 PM
No, it's 4wd, he just wanted to see if he could make it through in 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #632 on: April 29, 2014, 09:14:55 PM
Clearly the answer is no! Also, permanent 4wd FTW.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #633 on: April 29, 2014, 09:38:04 PM
He almost made it through though.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #634 on: May 08, 2014, 01:32:36 AM
I Plasti-dipped my grill tonight.  I think I'm going to redo my bumper too.  I won't use Plasti-dip as it's too expensive, so I think I'll try Wing-walk paint instead as it was free! :D 

In case you're wondering, the black part is Wing-walk paint.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:41:50 AM by derekmac »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #635 on: May 08, 2014, 03:10:01 AM
That looks awesome!

I have been thinking of blacking out the Jeep logo on my grill.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #636 on: May 08, 2014, 01:15:18 PM
Thanks!!  I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but wasn't sure if I liked the ones I had seen.  I'm pretty happy with how it looks though.  :tu:  I've also been thinking about debadging the hood, and continuing the black strip down to the edge.

I think it would look great blacked out!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #637 on: May 08, 2014, 01:22:38 PM
Thanks!!  I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but wasn't sure if I liked the ones I had seen.  I'm pretty happy with how it looks though.  :tu:  I've also been thinking about debadging the hood, and continuing the black strip down to the edge.

The entire hood or just bringing the strip to the front? Cause painting the entire hood in a very dull black is nice, no glair or shine to hurt the eyes while driving, looks good too! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #638 on: May 08, 2014, 02:19:02 PM

The entire hood or just bringing the strip to the front? Cause painting the entire hood in a very dull black is nice, no glair or shine to hurt the eyes while driving, looks good too! JR
Thanks JR!

I think just the strip, though I have considered doing the whole hood as I like the way they look done like that.

Sent from my Lumia 1020

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #639 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:13 PM
Hey guys! I need some of that wing walk paint for my rock rails/steps. I only had to wipe out getting in once to realize I need to add some grip lol! My better half got a chuckle out of seeing me spread eagle hanging out of my jeep on a frosty morning.
I've been on the trail twice since my recent repairs/mods. Detroit True-track in the front is my new best friend. Really feel the front end pulling now. Way easier to pop out of ruts and flex across washouts. Debating getting a snorkel now. I don't really want one as it gives you the excuse to go deeper and I'd rather just stay the heck out of damaging water holes anyways but hydro locking an engine is not so much a time either. You know that feeling when your front passenger wheel drops out of sight unexpectedly. Really I was saving coin for a front bumper. My factory one has taken more than its fair share of abuse and is by no means attractive since I sawzalled it into a stubby lol! Oh I recently wielded on EVO skids under the rear shock/LCA mounts. Passenger side was already nicely trail massaged.

60 - 0 immediately...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #640 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:59 PM
Hey guys! I need some of that wing walk paint for my rock rails/steps. I only had to wipe out getting in once to realize I need to add some grip lol! My better half got a chuckle out of seeing me spread eagle hanging out of my jeep on a frosty morning.
Sorry, but:
:worthless:
:rofl:

If you were local, I'd give ya a can.

A buddy bought and installed a snorkel on his JK that he bought from ebay.  I think it was under $150 shipped, and it actually looks a good quality product.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:49:51 PM by derekmac »

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #641 on: May 09, 2014, 09:24:54 PM
Hahaha no I think I have my eye on a similar product locally. Just gotta make nice with the flooring guys on this job site. I'm stuck with an AEV snorkel since I already have the hood with the cut outs. Thanks though!

60 - 0 immediately...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #642 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:20 PM
I did my bumpers and plastic with the wing-walk paint today.  I did a quick rush job, so it's not too great, but good enough for me for now! :D  The stuff dries pretty fast, and ends up clumping on the roller, which leads to clumps on the surface you're doing.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #643 on: May 09, 2014, 11:24:20 PM
Very sweet!

You seem like you are buying a black paint job on an installment plan!

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #644 on: May 09, 2014, 11:38:59 PM
Lol, no kidding eh!  I actually do have a can of really good black paint, but I still kind of want to do something crazy with it.  I'll probably never paint it though. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #645 on: May 10, 2014, 12:53:37 AM
I got a little inspired watching a show called Fast & Loud today.  It's one of those shows where the owner of a garage really screws someone on the price of a car then turns around and sells it for a lot more, sometimes after doing some work on it.  Anyways, the idea on this one was that they took a guy's Jeep TJ (a 2006 model, the last year for the TJ) and build it up in 24 hours.  It was a short time frame as the Jeep owner thought they were just doing a brake job on it.

With a fully stocked shop, two or three mechanics and $6k worth of parts they really made it into a nice rig.  Admittedly they didn't have to deal with rust or paint issues like I will with mine, but it does kind of make me feel like what I want to do with my TJ is quite realistic, even on my budget.

Also, I got a line on another set of brand new stock wheels and tires for my JK so I am thinking I am going to go back to stock on it and put this set of Pro Comps I have on my TJ instead.  Since the JKU is my daily driver the rough ride, road noise and decreased fuel economy is really bugging the crap out of me.

The new stock set of wheels and tires were on a JK when the son of one of my clients bought it and were used long enough for him to get home from the dealership where it was jacked up, the wheels pulled off it and chunky off road set was put on.  So these are completely brand new (less than 50kms) for $600.  I can't pass up a deal like that.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #646 on: May 10, 2014, 01:10:52 AM
I haven't heard of that show, might have to setup the PVR for it.  TJ's can be made into very capable rigs for not too much coin, which is the complete opposite of my rig. :(

Jesus, that's a steal for those tires!  Even though the ones you have look awesome on your JKU, like you said, the noise and decreased mileage does suck.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #647 on: May 10, 2014, 12:18:21 PM
Yeah, it is a shame to lose the tires- they do look awesome and the Jeep feels like it is planted in place.  They have almost 50% more contact with the road than stock tires do so it feels as if the Jeep is rooted to the ground and that nothing could move me.  To be honest, I will probably get something like this again in the future, but I'll do a bit more homework first and see if I can find something a bit less aggressive.

Still, they will continue to look awesome on my TJ, so it's not like I am really losing anything.  I still plan to replace the rims/tires on the JK with something similar to what's on there now, but not as bad.  I'll see if there's a BF Goodrich A/T or something available in that size.  In the meantime I have no idea what I am getting- which wheel/tire combination it is.  I'm kind of hoping Rubicon, but for $600 I'll take it no matter what, even though I don't much care for the 5 spokes.  Of course I didn't like the Gambler rims when I got them for my TJ either, and now they have kind of grown on me.

In case you don't know what I am talking about, here are some pics:

TJ Gambler Rims:

JK Rubicon Rims:

JK 5 Spoke Rims:

Def

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #648 on: May 10, 2014, 03:32:28 PM
I was looking at SsangYong Korando yesterday

Something like this...

Guy is selling it. Asking 1.500eur for it, though IMHO 1.000eur is also bit too much... But again IMHO he'd take 1.000 even...

The Korando has 2,3liters diesel engine, and it is 1993 (or 94) model. Two seats (only) without rear bench, soft top, leather electrically driven front seats. Constant 4x4, and no reduction. Looks pretty mean, but need some TLC. Has been sitting since 2012.

For what it looks like it would need some additional 1.000eur investment (Soft top, bearings, battery, checking of other stuff, converting it to pickup - substentionaly less registration, etc.)

If I only have 1.000eur + it would make great weekend project and fun driving!!

:cheers: :cheers:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #649 on: May 10, 2014, 04:19:36 PM
Wasn't the Korando made by (or marketed under) Daewoo? 

It looks pretty cool actually.  For a thousand Euros it would be a very cool project.

Def

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #650 on: May 10, 2014, 04:25:27 PM

It looks pretty cool actually.  For a thousand Euros it would be a very cool project.

Def

AFAIK no... They are separate producers... Daewoo eventually has been bought by Chevrolet (again AFAIK)...

Yup... Cool project!! It would end up as one bad ass off roader and fun to drive daily especially in summer... Top off and, sunglasses, wind... And multi tools in trunk!  :D :D 8) 8)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #651 on: May 10, 2014, 04:52:04 PM
The second generation was apparently licensed to Daewoo:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Korando

Cruising with the top and doors off is an experience that can not be undervalued.

Def

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #652 on: May 10, 2014, 05:15:54 PM
The second generation was apparently licensed to Daewoo:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Korando

Cruising with the top and doors off is an experience that can not be undervalued.

Def

:cheers: :cheers:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #653 on: May 11, 2014, 03:19:28 AM
I actually really like the JK 5 spoke, and would like to get a set for mine someday down the road.

We went on an awesome run today.  Here are a few pics.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #654 on: May 11, 2014, 12:50:03 PM

Def

The original ones should have the Isuzu diesel, which was a pretty solid engine. There should be some with the later, better, 2.8 diesel too if I remember correctly. They were popular around 20 years ago but judging by the fact that I do not see any around I assume that their quality was not that great.

I think that the 1st generation was the one that was a Jeep clone.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #655 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:34 PM
Well Derek I have a set of five spoked wheels I would gladly give to you. You just have too pick them up lol and drop off some wing walk lol

60 - 0 immediately...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #656 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46:19 PM
Well Derek I have a set of five spoked wheels I would gladly give to you. You just have too pick them up lol and drop off some wing walk lol

60 - 0 immediately...
You're not that far away...  Well, maybe you are.  :)
Now, how can I make this work??  :think: :think: :think:  :D

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #657 on: May 24, 2014, 06:51:14 AM
Driving doorless is an experience not to be under estimated. :)

Less talk, more BRAAAP.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #658 on: June 03, 2014, 12:20:29 AM
Went for a run yesterday.  The weather was awesome, but it's been pretty dry for the last week, so not too much mud out there.

A couple of long abandoned places in the woods.  The A Frame looks like it would have been a really nice place back in the day.

The spot we had just gone through is usually a muddy nightmare, but it was pretty tame this time through.

I believe these are bits of the gold mines that used to be back here.

And of course, some poser pics. :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #659 on: June 04, 2014, 05:35:15 PM
I'm entered into the May Grand Cherokee of the Month contest on jeepforum.com  There are only two of us in it, which makes my odds better, but I would have liked to see more rigs in it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%