Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1159 · 89112

be Offline Wilfried

Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #270 on: August 25, 2015, 11:02:43 PM

[/quote]
Do you find much cans without pullrings any more? I open like 1-2 cans a year,if that, nowadays and then the combotool is more than enough. Since you also have a separate philips on Yeoman the canopener/driver is not necessary in my opinion.
3 layers of the Yeoman is much easier to EDC carry in my opinon without losing much utility, if any.
[/quote]

Every now and then pullrings fail. Then you still need the can opener.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #271 on: August 25, 2015, 11:41:56 PM
The can opener, even though I don't see much use for it (my grandmother has an electric can opener, and various cranked manual ones), I have another use for.  It makes an excellent wire stripper, much better than the pathetic excuse for one on the bottle opener.   

I find four layers is the minimum for me.   

I love the Explorer myself.  A much better layout for when I won't be needing the saw.  The corkscrew on the backside is much more versatile than a Phillips driver.   I can use it for untangling knots, pulling things out (well, other than the obvious cork), and carry the eyeglass screwdriver as well (which I already had which had come with  some replacement toothpicks for another SAK), which to me is a great screwdriver.  The in-line Phillips will reach places the back-side Phillips would never be able to get to. It's also more comfortable to use.    I still consider the full openers layer (I'm not a combination tool fan), two blades, and the scissors a necessity, and can't do without those. The magnifying glass, despite not being the original gray plastic frame/glass lens version with the highest magnification, still magnifies well.  I often use it when photographing close-up things like tang stamps.   The hook is a tool, despite my dislike of it for most of the 10 years I've owned SAKs, that anymore is a perfect tool.  One can pull laces through sleeves on shoes, carry thin-handled items, screw in eye hooks, and many more things.

It's a perfect model for me.  Four screwdrivers is plenty enough for me, and all the other tools are what I use the most.  I use a saw frequently, but not as much as the screwdrivers and magnifying lens. 

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #272 on: August 25, 2015, 11:53:52 PM

Do you find much cans without pullrings any more? I open like 1-2 cans a year,if that, nowadays and then the combotool is more than enough. Since you also have a separate philips on Yeoman the canopener/driver is not necessary in my opinion.
3 layers of the Yeoman is much easier to EDC carry in my opinon without losing much utility, if any.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just checked my "can collection" out of interest. I seem to be constantly opening cans. I like the opener layer.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:20:29 AM by VoetSak »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #273 on: August 26, 2015, 12:21:33 AM

I agree with regards to the Yeoman being easier to carry but unfortunately they are not easy to come by!

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #274 on: August 26, 2015, 05:06:25 AM
Much Explorer love here

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #275 on: August 26, 2015, 11:04:14 AM
I just sold my Yeoman and my Explorer.

If I'm carrying a 91/84/85 SAK (which is not everyday), I'll almost certainly have a pliers based tool on me as well. That pliers tool will almost certainly have a Phillips driver, so I don't really need one on my SAK as well.

I do like the Yeoman and Explorer, I just tend to cover the toolset in other ways. As to the mag glass, I'd rather have a True Utility Eyeglass, or a fresnel lens in the wallet
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:05:25 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #276 on: August 26, 2015, 01:56:15 PM

I still see a lot of cans without ring pulls.  Here it often seems to be that branded products, like Heinz or Green Giant, have ring pulls, but supermarket own-brand ones don't.
Harry Ramsden's mushy peas :drool: don't have ring pulls!

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #277 on: August 26, 2015, 03:19:15 PM
Much Explorer love here

Indeed.

As for my insignificant self: I have been carrying the Explorer as an EDC almost since the day I bought one.  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #278 on: August 26, 2015, 03:32:36 PM

I still see a lot of cans without ring pulls.  Here it often seems to be that branded products, like Heinz or Green Giant, have ring pulls, but supermarket own-brand ones don't.
Harry Ramsden's mushy peas :drool: don't have ring pulls!

Same over here...the less expensive store brands (which we buy) never have pull rings.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #279 on: August 27, 2015, 01:34:21 AM
The can opener on SAK's is actually my least favorite tool.  I never use it, I always use the can opener on my Leatherman, which, IMHO, is far superior. 

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #280 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:46 PM
I gave in and got an Explorer. Mostly for the magnifying glass.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #281 on: September 04, 2015, 05:10:46 PM

I'm confident that you will not regret it.    ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #282 on: September 04, 2015, 06:41:32 PM

I'm confident that you will not regret it.    ;)

me as well,its a good urban edc  :tu:

de Offline windson

Reply #283 on: September 04, 2015, 08:02:02 PM
I already love it, suspended in my front pocket today, mag used twice. (Also, the Explorer weighs in at about 100g compared to the Deluxe Tinker, which is 125g heavy.) I'm not a fan of the corkscrew on my. Swisschamp either, that's why I hesitated for the longest time. I do like the mag/Phillips layer and having a backlayer Phillips in addition would be too much redundancy. I see a custom, no-backlayer Alox Explorer in my future... Either way, that Explorer is very complete for the big city and its challenges.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #284 on: September 06, 2015, 09:24:40 AM

Me too. After much time wondering what the fuss about the in line Phillips was. That made sense, for the fiddle factor if nothing else, about a minute after I'd picked it up  :clap:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

de Offline windson

us Offline murrydan

Reply #286 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:52 PM
Carried mine yesterday, love the inline phillips.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #287 on: September 28, 2015, 11:44:26 PM
I love the Explorer and it was my EDC for a long time as I use the mag lens quite often and like the inline philips alot and I also have an adapter that fits over it with a bunch of 1/4 inch bits if needed.

I am however finding or should I my EDC plans to just go with a Swisschamp as once I was hiking with the misses and she wanted a walking stick so I found a nice one but had a bunch of little branch nubs on it, which I had to try cut off with just a blade cause the Explorer that I had always carried didnt have the little saw and I really could have used that saw so now I want more of my basics covered.  Part of it was we didn't plan on the hike, just a last minute thing or I would have swapped out my Explorer with a Ranger (better outside tools).

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #288 on: September 29, 2015, 12:30:09 AM
I love the Explorer and it was my EDC for a long time as I use the mag lens quite often and like the inline philips alot and I also have an adapter that fits over it with a bunch of 1/4 inch bits if needed.

I am however finding or should I my EDC plans to just go with a Swisschamp as once I was hiking with the misses and she wanted a walking stick so I found a nice one but had a bunch of little branch nubs on it, which I had to try cut off with just a blade cause the Explorer that I had always carried didnt have the little saw and I really could have used that saw so now I want more of my basics covered.  Part of it was we didn't plan on the hike, just a last minute thing or I would have swapped out my Explorer with a Ranger (better outside tools).

Explorer = urban or suburban carry
Trekker = rural or hiking carry
Swisschamp = does everything, but is bulky
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #289 on: September 29, 2015, 12:39:36 AM
That's just a matter of preference. I don't find the Swisschamp bulky at all. In fact, it's quite comfortable to use :D
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #290 on: September 29, 2015, 02:09:33 AM

What you need is a Woodsman. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #291 on: September 29, 2015, 02:55:23 AM

SC might be a bit bulky if carried a certain way but none of those items listed above give me good plier's.  We all know the SC are like super tweezers only!  :)

Woodman?  Just did a quick search and found one for like $100 and nah, cant do that! :)

That's just a matter of preference. I don't find the Swisschamp bulky at all. In fact, it's quite comfortable to use :D

I am gonna try it and see if I like it.  Hopefully we have a bit more summer/shorts weather to try it, then onto the Fall with jeans!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:57:23 AM by sir_mike »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #292 on: September 29, 2015, 09:32:14 AM

SC might be a bit bulky if carried a certain way but none of those items listed above give me good plier's.  We all know the SC are like super tweezers only!  :)

Woodman?  Just did a quick search and found one for like $100 and nah, cant do that! :)

I am gonna try it and see if I like it.  Hopefully we have a bit more summer/shorts weather to try it, then onto the Fall with jeans!

Fair enough. :D  The Ranger is definitely a good alternative IMO.  I don't mind using the Swiss Champ at all, but for my taste it's too big for pocket carry and so I tend to go with something a little slimmer.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #293 on: September 29, 2015, 11:04:34 AM

Just thought I would post a pic of my old Explorer. My favorite SAK but I don't EDC it. Bought it new in the early 80's I think.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #294 on: September 29, 2015, 12:33:06 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Just thought I would post a pic of my old Explorer. My favorite SAK but I don't EDC it. Bought it new in the early 80's I think.

Do you not EDC it because it's precious to you? I can see why people choose to keep their treasures safe.

My daughter bought me an Explorer from a junk shop for my birthday a few years back. I still use it, but am very careful what I do with it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #295 on: September 29, 2015, 10:07:14 PM
I did lose it a few years ago and was pissed but I found it almost a year later in a coat pocket. The main reason I don't EDC it is it's a little too bulky in the pocket of my jeans. Been carrying my small tinker this week.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #296 on: September 29, 2015, 11:45:02 PM
Big fan of the Explorer, use a suspension clip and you won't even know it is there.

Like my Yeoman better but as you know they can't be bought new anymore.

Here is a picture of mine from last year right before we got Lynn's favorite multi tool sorted.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #297 on: September 29, 2015, 11:48:32 PM
Big fan of the Explorer, use a suspension clip and you won't even know it is there.

Here is a picture of mine from last year right before we got Lynn's favorite multi tool sorted.

Where are my shells at?  :twak:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #298 on: October 01, 2015, 02:58:50 AM
I don't know if I'd call the Explorer my 'favorite', but it's still my EDC MT.

I had to use the magnifying glass on it the other day to read the fine print on a burger coupon. It was still good, and I got a free Wendy's cheeseburger with it. NOW we're talking super useful. :D

I also found something weird the other day. It seems if I'm doing harder work with the big blade, the 4-layer SAK works best for grip. My Climbers and super-tinker are too thin, and the Handyman (6 layer) is too thick. I was whittling a branch into a stake, requiring some fairly forceful cuts, and the Explorer was most comfortable. As a lefty, the corkscrew is less of an issue when gripping firmly.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #299 on: October 01, 2015, 03:25:23 AM

Where are my shells at?  :twak:

Well it would be against the rules to keep government property and give it away.

On a completely unrelated and totally legitimate and legal matter pm me your address. Lynn also.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%