Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1159 · 89102

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #360 on: May 02, 2016, 07:53:07 PM
 :facepalm: Sob.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #361 on: May 02, 2016, 08:06:27 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

My old Explorer with a new scissor spring. SAK Guy walked me through the replacement process. :salute: :tu:

Glad to help buddy!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #362 on: May 02, 2016, 08:08:45 PM

My old Explorer with a new scissor spring. SAK Guy walked me through the replacement process. :salute: :tu:

Blimey! You can help people after you've found that gravity knife SG.  :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #363 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:54 PM

Blimey! You can help people after you've found that gravity knife SG.  :facepalm:

:whistle:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Sir_Blinky

Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #364 on: August 18, 2016, 10:05:04 PM
Explorer is the ideal weekend carry for me. Recently outfitted mine with a spiffy new set of cobalt blue scales. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #365 on: August 18, 2016, 11:29:44 PM
Looking sharp Sir Blinky!!   :like:
Barry

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #366 on: August 19, 2016, 12:00:07 AM
Explorer is the ideal weekend carry for me. Recently outfitted mine with a spiffy new set of cobalt blue scales. :)

GOOD CHOICE! Blue rules.

Hey Magentus, does Pikachu have the reamer awl as well? I'm seeing the openers so I'm guessing it does. Do you ever use it instead the IL awl? What was the donor for that IL?

I had a Wenger Handyman and fake crappy SwissChamp growing up. When I was around 21 years old, one of my roommates moved out of state and left behind a "junk drawer" of household tools, saying I could keep any of it I wanted.

Found my first Explorer in there. This was back in the day, but it was already about a 10 year old knife, no hook, gray mag/long phillips, but it did have the sewing eye in the awl. (Looked like Magentus' vintage one) This knife went with me all over the world on a bunch of adventures, and had all the small parts/scissor spring replaced more than once.

One day my friend was visiting and I showed him the knife "oh yeah, remember this?". Even though I had mentioned finding the SAK to him years ago, he didn't realize that it was one of the 2 his father had given to him and his brother. Their dad passed away when they were kids. So of course I had him take it, he didn't even have a SAK anyway (how wass he even getting through life???). But I knew I wasn't done Exploring so I grabbed one used of the 'bay, great condition with the updated tools, and slapped on some cobalt blue plus scales.

This one's been on the job a few times, but hasn't seen any adventures yet, it doesn't feel "charged up" with mojo yet.

Great SAK, the Explorer.  Though Climber Lite would also be pretty cool. Mainly I like the IL phillips. But the mag glass is cool cuz it makes the SAK seem like it's for scientists and smarties.

Kirk 13's white one looks like a Doctor!

What are these 2 up to?
20160818_134424.jpg
* 20160818_134424.jpg (Filesize: 145.57 KB)
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline Sir_Blinky

Reply #367 on: August 19, 2016, 12:05:57 AM

GOOD CHOICE! Blue rules.

Hey Magentus, does Pikachu have the reamer awl as well? I'm seeing the openers so I'm guessing it does. Do you ever use it instead the IL awl? What was the donor for that IL?

I had a Wenger Handyman and fake crappy SwissChamp growing up. When I was around 21 years old, one of my roommates moved out of state and left behind a "junk drawer" of household tools, saying I could keep any of it I wanted.

Found my first Explorer in there. This was back in the day, but it was already about a 10 year old knife, no hook, gray mag/long phillips, but it did have the sewing eye in the awl. (Looked like Magentus' vintage one) This knife went with me all over the world on a bunch of adventures, and had all the small parts/scissor spring replaced more than once.

One day my friend was visiting and I showed him the knife "oh yeah, remember this?". Even though I had mentioned finding the SAK to him years ago, he didn't realize that it was one of the 2 his father had given to him and his brother. Their dad passed away when they were kids. So of course I had him take it, he didn't even have a SAK anyway (how wass he even getting through life???). But I knew I wasn't done Exploring so I grabbed one used of the 'bay, great condition with the updated tools, and slapped on some cobalt blue plus scales.

This one's been on the job a few times, but hasn't seen any adventures yet, it doesn't feel "charged up" with mojo yet.

Great SAK, the Explorer.  Though Climber Lite would also be pretty cool. Mainly I like the IL phillips. But the mag glass is cool cuz it makes the SAK seem like it's for scientists and smarties.

Kirk 13's white one looks like a Doctor!

What are these 2 up to?

Nice! Where'd you pick up those blue plus scales? That's what I wanted originally, but couldn't find any except shops in Europe with a shipping cost that exceeded the price of the scales themselves, so I gave in and got the regular ones.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #368 on: August 19, 2016, 12:12:28 AM

Nice! Where'd you pick up those blue plus scales? That's what I wanted originally, but couldn't find any except shops in Europe with a shipping cost that exceeded the price of the scales themselves, so I gave in and got the regular ones.

SwissBianco

EDIT: Looks like they don't have them right now
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:14:08 AM by JamesJ »
-JJL

us Offline Sir_Blinky

Reply #369 on: August 19, 2016, 12:25:25 AM

SwissBianco

EDIT: Looks like they don't have them right now

I was going to purchase scales from him once but his shipping is pretty hefty as well. I'll just have to keep an eye on eBay, I guess.

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #370 on: August 19, 2016, 08:30:08 AM
 :like: Those BLUE scales are nice , Guys  :cheers:

I Dig my Explorer, GREAT carry for any Day that ends in d.a.y . 8)  :D
DSCN6021.JPG
* DSCN6021.JPG (Filesize: 192.59 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #371 on: August 19, 2016, 02:03:29 PM
Favorite Vic in that layer range...

In-line Phillips plus magnifier makes an awesome combo

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #372 on: August 19, 2016, 05:40:36 PM
One day my friend was visiting and I showed him the knife "oh yeah, remember this?". Even though I had mentioned finding the SAK to him years ago, he didn't realize that it was one of the 2 his father had given to him and his brother. Their dad passed away when they were kids. So of course I had him take it, he didn't even have a SAK anyway (how wass he even getting through life???). But I knew I wasn't done Exploring so I grabbed one used of the 'bay, great condition with the updated tools, and slapped on some cobalt blue plus scales

Great story James!  :cheers:

(how wass he even getting through life???)

Indeed!  ???  :D
- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #373 on: August 19, 2016, 11:19:28 PM
One day my friend was visiting and I showed him the knife "oh yeah, remember this?". Even though I had mentioned finding the SAK to him years ago, he didn't realize that it was one of the 2 his father had given to him and his brother. Their dad passed away when they were kids. So of course I had him take it, he didn't even have a SAK anyway (how wass he even getting through life???). But I knew I wasn't done Exploring so I grabbed one used of the 'bay, great condition with the updated tools, and slapped on some cobalt blue plus scales

Great story James!  :cheers:

(how wass he even getting through life???)

Indeed!  ???  :D

:like: I can't fathom life with out a MT and a SAK  ??? :D and it was nice to pass the SAK to him :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #374 on: August 19, 2016, 11:20:32 PM
I have a boyscout edition Explorer that I need to get out and take a pic of I guess :cheers:

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #375 on: August 20, 2016, 02:35:41 AM
I have a boyscout edition Explorer that I need to get out and take a pic of I guess :cheers:

Boyscout Explorer? Blue or red? Does it have phillips on back as well as with the mag?? I'm thinking of the Boyscout Hunstman that's actually a Fieldmaster.
-JJL

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #376 on: August 22, 2016, 11:34:34 PM
I'm thinking of the Boyscout Hunstman that's actually a Fieldmaster.

The Boyscout Explorer was called the Yeoman for years.  It was pretty confusing.
- Terry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #377 on: August 23, 2016, 06:32:11 PM
And I think Fieldmaster actually sounds more Boy Scout to me!  My youngest has one and it's an awesome knife.
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #378 on: August 23, 2016, 07:03:46 PM

The Boyscout Explorer was called the Yeoman for years.  It was pretty confusing.

It is the red one and I still have yet to take a pic even though I got it out the other night and was looking at it along with s few others :facepalm: :whistle: :D

I think I still have the box but can't remember if it said Yeoman or Explorer :think: I am wanting to say Explorer but can't say for sure until I look ;) :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #379 on: August 27, 2016, 03:43:09 AM

It is the red one and I still have yet to take a pic even though I got it out the other night and was looking at it along with s few others :facepalm: :whistle: :D

I think I still have the box but can't remember if it said Yeoman or Explorer :think: I am wanting to say Explorer but can't say for sure until I look ;) :cheers:

Well I checked my box finally :whistle: It said BSA Yeoman on it :D SO I was wrong and it's still kinda neat that I have this version :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #380 on: November 11, 2016, 08:45:39 PM
I've joined the club!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
DSCN0052.JPG
* DSCN0052.JPG (Filesize: 252.76 KB)
Barry

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #381 on: November 11, 2016, 09:11:07 PM
Can't go wrong with the Explorer!  It is my choice for EDC and has been for a long time.  I try to carry other sak's but always go back to the Explorer! 

This might be way I have three of them.  One with the old mag, one with the new mag and one with the previous mag setup!  :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #382 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:48 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #383 on: November 11, 2016, 09:16:35 PM
Can't go wrong with the Explorer!  It is my choice for EDC and has been for a long time.  I try to carry other sak's but always go back to the Explorer! 

This might be way I have three of them.  One with the old mag, one with the new mag and one with the previous mag setup!  :)

Would love to see all of them together in a pic and the different mag glass out :dd: :like:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #384 on: November 12, 2016, 02:20:43 AM

Would love to see all of them together in a pic and the different mag glass out :dd: :like:

Here is a quick group shot.  I included the Swissbianco Yeoman that has sapphire scales cause it is close to an Explorer. :)

I have new ruby scales for the other two but I haven't changed them out yet.  The old mag one had sapphire ones on it but I chipped one so I swapped the scales out with what I had at the time.  Soon they will all have ruby plus scales!!

The red scaled one with clip has the second mag lens and the ruby one has the newest mag lens.  The Yeoman also has the newest mag lens!  :)

Eplorers_YeomanSB2.jpg
* Eplorers_YeomanSB2.jpg (Filesize: 339.94 KB)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:22:00 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #385 on: November 12, 2016, 04:53:32 AM
In the absence of a Woodsman, which is a five layer that is an Explorer with a wood saw layer added, I would choose the Explorer as the absence of the wood saw I could deal with more than the absence of any of the other tools. I have an Explorer now, and put 3rd Party Titanium scales on it, and it has reinforced my that in the absence of a Woodsman, the 2nd clear choice would be the Explorer which I find to be the best SAK in current production as the Woodsman - other than a very special small regional build - has been long discontinued.

The Explorer Plus is my second love!

John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #386 on: November 12, 2016, 12:28:12 PM
Beautiful knives all!!  :like: :like:
Barry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #387 on: November 12, 2016, 10:39:17 PM
Just so happens that I've had my Explorer in my pocket today.  I'm definitely a fan of four layer SAKs and the Explorer packs a lot of punch for it's size.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #388 on: November 15, 2016, 12:15:27 PM
I can't pin it on any one reason, but I really enjoy packing this knife.  It just seems to fit!! :D
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #389 on: February 12, 2017, 10:08:29 PM
Bought one of my used Explorers some new plus scales.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%