Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89966

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #390 on: February 13, 2017, 01:15:29 AM
 :like: :like: :tu: :tu:
Barry

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #391 on: February 13, 2017, 02:12:21 AM
You know,I don't own that model but I can see tons of everyday opportunities to use it. The plus scales make it irresistible  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:00:42 AM by WolfyW »
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #392 on: February 13, 2017, 03:58:15 AM
Can't go wrong with the Explorer!  It is my choice for EDC and has been for a long time.  I try to carry other sak's but always go back to the Explorer! 

This might be way I have three of them.  One with the old mag, one with the new mag and one with the previous mag setup!  :)

Would love to see all of them together in a pic and the different mag glass out :dd: :like:

Here is a quick group shot.  I included the Swissbianco Yeoman that has sapphire scales cause it is close to an Explorer. :)

I have new ruby scales for the other two but I haven't changed them out yet.  The old mag one had sapphire ones on it but I chipped one so I swapped the scales out with what I had at the time.  Soon they will all have ruby plus scales!!

The red scaled one with clip has the second mag lens and the ruby one has the newest mag lens.  The Yeoman also has the newest mag lens!  :)

:like:

Great to see another Explorer fan!

Love the group photo!

:cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #393 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:47 AM
Bought one of my used Explorers some new plus scales.

:like: :like:

Looks great!  It's practically a twin (fraternal in that mine has a grey frame magnifier and orange paracord lanyard)  of one that I have...
Sapphire Explorer.jpg
* Sapphire Explorer.jpg (Filesize: 215.48 KB)

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #394 on: February 13, 2017, 04:08:01 AM

Looks great!  It's practically a twin (fraternal in that mine has a grey frame magnifier and orange paracord lanyard)  of one that I have...

I kept thinking I've seen a translucent blue scale recently, and it was on your Explorer, it's all coming back to me now after seeing your orange lanyard.
 :tu:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #395 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:45 AM

I kept thinking I've seen a translucent blue scale recently, and it was on your Explorer, it's all coming back to me now after seeing your orange lanyard.
 :tu:

I thought for a moment that my Sapphire Explorer inspired your change to blue scales.   :)

Seeing your latest photo and recalling that the photos you post are excellent, reminds me that I need to look into a better solution for inserting photos.  I like your Explorer photo as well as most of the photos that are posted on this forum.  It is good to look at a larger photo with detail filling the frame versus a resized and reduced photo.  I see you are using Flickr...I'll have to check it out.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #396 on: February 13, 2017, 02:20:35 PM
I thought for a moment that my Sapphire Explorer inspired your change to blue scales.   :)
I bet subconsciously your Sapphire Explorer was the inspiration because I know I complimented it a while back.
As for flikr, it works well with my cell phone, makes it easy to post photos, but I don't know much about the security aspects of that site. 
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #397 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:53 AM
Here is an updated pic of my Explorer's.  I have two old style and two latest style mag lens.  I just put emerald green plus scales on one of the new style ones and thinking about putting a set of the old style too.  Oh and I also put a set on my new Swisschamp that had black scales so I had to include it in the pic!  :)

Poll -  Should I put emerald's on the old style one in top right corner or should I put the black plus ones from the SC or just leave it as it with ruby ones?   :tu:

Thx.

SakSC_Explorers2.jpg
* SakSC_Explorers2.jpg (Filesize: 58.81 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #398 on: February 15, 2017, 01:37:31 AM
Here is an updated pic of my Explorer's.  I have two old style and two latest style mag lens.  I just put emerald green plus scales on one of the new style ones and thinking about putting a set of the old style too.  Oh and I also put a set on my new Swisschamp that had black scales so I had to include it in the pic!  :)

Poll -  Should I put emerald's on the old style one in top right corner or should I put the black plus ones from the SC or just leave it as it with ruby ones?   :tu:

Thx.

Thanks for the group photo!

Concerning your poll, my own preference is to leave good configurations alone.  For example, if the stock red is in good shape, I don't replace the scales just for cosmetic appeal.  When evaluating a possible purchase, I consider variety a plus, e.g., BSA, hunter green, black, etc.  If the tools are in great shape and the scales are dinged or chipped, I would have no hesitation in applying new and interesting scales after a thorough cleaning and conditioning.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #399 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:27 AM

Thx.

Concerning your poll, my own preference is to leave good configurations alone.  For example, if the stock red is in good shape, I don't replace the scales just for cosmetic appeal.  When evaluating a possible purchase, I consider variety a plus, e.g., BSA, hunter green, black, etc.  If the tools are in great shape and the scales are dinged or chipped, I would have no hesitation in applying new and interesting scales after a thorough cleaning and conditioning.

The Explorer that I did put the emerald's on did need replacing as they ones on it were older red ones that weren't the "plus" ones!  LOL  I mainly replaced scales for the plus versions on the ones I use or if the scales need it like you mentioned.  That said, I wanted to tryout the emerald ones so I picked up a couple of sets to see and really wanted a set for my only Swisschamp (at this time)!  I now have plenty or even too many sets of scales here vs actual sak's I own!

I too try to find other sak's that I am interested in with other scale colors but that is harder to do most times.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #400 on: February 16, 2017, 12:03:08 AM

Thx.

The Explorer that I did put the emerald's on did need replacing as they ones on it were older red ones that weren't the "plus" ones!  LOL  I mainly replaced scales for the plus versions on the ones I use or if the scales need it like you mentioned.  That said, I wanted to tryout the emerald ones so I picked up a couple of sets to see and really wanted a set for my only Swisschamp (at this time)!  I now have plenty or even too many sets of scales here vs actual sak's I own!

I too try to find other sak's that I am interested in with other scale colors but that is harder to do most times.

Do you have a photo with the emerald scales?

BTW, this thread has inspired me to review my own Explorers and to at least count them (11).  I'll need a closer look but a quick perusal shows that I have at least one all-plastic magnifier.  I think the rest are split with the majority grey-framed glass magnifier and the balance clear-framed glass magnifier.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #401 on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:21 AM

Thx.

Do you have a photo with the emerald scales?

BTW, this thread has inspired me to review my own Explorers and to at least count them (11).  I'll need a closer look but a quick perusal shows that I have at least one all-plastic magnifier.  I think the rest are split with the majority grey-framed glass magnifier and the balance clear-framed glass magnifier.

I have attached a pic showing the scales that I just copied from Ebay so you can see them.  I can get a pic later of them on the sak's if you need one, just let me know.

I thought I had alot of Explorer's with four but I can see I have like none compared to you!  LOL  I don't have any all plastic ones, just either the older or the latest at this time.

emerald_scales.jpg
* emerald_scales.jpg (Filesize: 38.18 KB)

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #402 on: February 20, 2017, 01:34:12 AM
I....couldn't...take...it...anymore.... :surrender:

After reading every page of this I had a weak moment and hit the button on a used/excellent condition Explorer  :facepalm:

Oh, well. Working 60 hour weeks lately, gotta treat myself after all that effort.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #403 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:03 AM
 :cheers: Congrats WolfyWizzle. You won't regret it! Don't forget to post pics once it's in your mitts.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fi Offline Padre

Reply #404 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:20 AM
So do people like plus scales? I am fan of smaller tools Explorer being probably the largest SAK I can carry around, but I like normal scales more as I have no use for the pin or pen.

Do you enjoy scales with the pen?
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #405 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:59 AM
So do people like plus scales? I am fan of smaller tools Explorer being probably the largest SAK I can carry around, but I like normal scales more as I have no use for the pin or pen.

Yes, definitely- I don't get much use from the pen but it's really handy to have when you do need one, and the pin I use regularly to prod stuff.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #406 on: February 20, 2017, 12:30:24 PM

I have come to the view that... given it makes no noticeable difference to the weight, that it's best to have the plus scales. I'm also haunted by being at a bucks party a year ago with a trekker on me and for the life of me, there was no pen anywhere, and I needed to make a drunken diagram!

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #407 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:10 PM
:cheers: Congrats WolfyWizzle. You won't regret it! Don't forget to post pics once it's in your mitts.

Thanks, Mags ! Will do that  :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #408 on: February 20, 2017, 05:24:01 PM

I first started getting the plus scales cause I was finding them at a very good price so they were the same cost or less of the non plus ones.  I will admit I don't use the pen much but have used the pin a few times or more.  I also think that why not have them both when it doesn't add much if any more weight and they fit in the same size package of the Explorer or Swisschamp and by that I mean it doesn't change the size or shape of the sak.  :)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #409 on: February 20, 2017, 06:11:53 PM

I really like the pin but have no use for the pen, luckily all modern scales have the hole for the pin and a "standard" pin works fine.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #410 on: February 20, 2017, 09:31:17 PM

I first started getting the plus scales cause I was finding them at a very good price so they were the same cost or less of the non plus ones.  I will admit I don't use the pen much but have used the pin a few times or more.  I also think that why not have them both when it doesn't add much if any more weight and they fit in the same size package of the Explorer or Swisschamp and by that I mean it doesn't change the size or shape of the sak.  :)

I love this thread since the Explorer is by far my favorite SAK!  It is good to see the widespread enjoyment of this special SAK.

I agree with you about the advantages of the plus scales.  They cost the same (at least from one e-bay source) and allow the addition of the pen and pin, which add functionality without a noticeable increase in weight.  Since the concept behind the SAK is to provide an assortment of multiple tools to help the owner be prepared for daily challenges that can be solved with these tools, adding functionality without impacting size and weight considerations just makes sense.  I definitely prefer plus scales but don't retrofit non plus scales.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #411 on: March 11, 2017, 01:49:41 AM
Sure appreciating my Explorer today!
IMG_20170310_162838.jpg
* IMG_20170310_162838.jpg (Filesize: 125.62 KB)
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #412 on: March 11, 2017, 07:00:08 PM
Sure appreciating my Explorer today!

Nice one Barry. I bet you're lovin' the layers now  :salute:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #413 on: March 11, 2017, 07:09:41 PM
I love this thread!  *sigh* One of these days I'll get an Explorer of my own  :)  Until then I'll enjoy all you guys' pictures!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #414 on: March 11, 2017, 09:43:52 PM
I have some of these. Used to be one of my favorite patterns....don't get to carry it much anymore.

Here is my newest... (been looking for a grey mag BSA for a while to match my Yeoman)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #415 on: March 11, 2017, 10:20:01 PM
I sure an Bill!! 

Nice one Robert!!  :like:
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #416 on: March 11, 2017, 10:38:19 PM
I sure an Bill!! 

Nice one Robert!!  :like:

Thanks buddy!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #417 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:14 PM
Guess I might post here as well. Got an Explorer a couple of weeks ago and having trouble getting the other models some pocket time. The Explorer might be the one! Never thought I would end up in 4 layer country but the huntsman showed the way and here I am!

About the pin, I don't have the plus scales but there is still a spot for I pin. Outfitted it with a pin day one and now I mini screwdriver is on its way

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #418 on: March 20, 2017, 08:48:32 PM
Welcome to the club and great picture!  There's just something about an Explorer... :D
Barry

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #419 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:44 PM
Guess I might post here as well. Got an Explorer a couple of weeks ago and having trouble getting the other models some pocket time. The Explorer might be the one! Never thought I would end up in 4 layer country but the huntsman showed the way and here I am!

About the pin, I don't have the plus scales but there is still a spot for I pin. Outfitted it with a pin day one and now I mini screwdriver is on its way

(Image removed from quote.)

It's not failure if you learn something from it

Explorer is my fav so congrats on getting one and liking it.  It is even handier to have the pin and mini driver with it as it makes a very nice tool set.

I carry one most of the time unless I am experimenting with others to see if I can go more minimal or just to see if I can go bigger with like a Swisschamp or Champ Plus!  I have four of them now and carried this one in honor of St. Patricks Day on Friday as well as Four Layer Friday!  It was great that it fit in to both occasions!  :)

I have had the emerald one in my pocket today running errands too!   :tu:
Emerald_ExplorerPlus.jpg
* Emerald_ExplorerPlus.jpg (Filesize: 83.15 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%