Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Z-Rex first impressions.

spam Offline PropThePolecat

Leatherman Z-Rex first impressions.
on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:53 PM
I was in the market for a rescue tool with a glassbreaker and was looking at the Z-Rex. I usually carry a Benchmade 7 Hook on my belt coupled with a Triage or Contego which both have glassbreakers. The idea of having a rescue tool with a glassbreaker sounded great, as i like to carry knives other than the Triage or Contego.

Ive been very happy with the 7 Hook. The sheath is excellent and the tool itself cuts great and has good ergonomics, even with gloves, but i thought id give the Z-Rex a go.

I received the Z-Rex yesterday and i immediately disliked it. First of all its way too big for my duty belt. Its so tall, that i can feel it on my back, when sitting in a car, which is pretty annoying. Second, the made-in-china sheath is VERY low quality. The nylon is not woven tight and thick like other molle sheaths. I sheathed and unsheathed it a couple of times, and the glassbreaker is already about to pierce a hole through the nylon. 3rd, the sheath is advertised as being black, but its a very light black, so it doesnt match anything else on my belt and kind of sticks out. Nothing serious, but important for those who have a uniform code they have to follow.

The tool itself is excellent though. It looks like a quality tool and the ergonomics are good. Its a shame its as big as it is though  :(

I really wanted a rescue tool with a glassbreaker but as mentioned, ill be keeping my 7 Hook and staying with my Triage/Contego which both have tungsten glassbreakers. Nevertheless ill be keeping the Z-Rex in my own car as an emergency tool.

Leatherman, if youre reading this, then i hope youll consider designing a "baby" Z-Rex at one point.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman Z-Rex first impressions.
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:50:49 PM
Just remember, the Z Rex was originally the T Rex but they had to change the name due to copyright issues.  The T Rex was originally cut from a spent sheet of blade blanks- the hook cutter was originally the point of a Skeletool blade if I'm not mistaken.  Here is one of 100 prototype T Rexes that were made:

Given that the idea originally was to make use of the scrap left over from Skeletool blades I thought the above concept was pretty good since Leatherman was taking another step towards conservation.  Once the design got to the point that they changed everything and had almost nothing left of the original concept I lost interest.

The Z Rex looks a bit bulky and complex for a simple rescue tool.  I like the idea of a relatively cheap, disposable tool as things tend to get lost or misplaced in the chaos of an accident scene.  Admittedly at $26 it's not too hard to replace, but I still prefer the BM 8 Hook as a direct competitor due to the fact that it's lighter and the head is smaller, meaning that it gets more places easier.

Gerber also made a similar style although it has now apparently been discontinued and replaced with the much cooler looking Crisis Hook Knife.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:58:09 PM
Recycling the left overs was certainly a brilliant idea :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
Well ... kind of ... but I can't help thinking it's shoddy production engineering and rotten efficiency to end up with enough waste to procuce a whole new tool in the first place  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:19:58 PM
Ordinarily I'd agree, but the handle on these things doesn't need to be terribly substantial. 

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline PropThePolecat

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:08 PM

Gerber also made a similar style although it has now apparently been discontinued and replaced with the much cooler looking Crisis Hook Knife.

Def

The Gerber looks nice, but i cant live with the 420 steel when Benchmade and Leatherman offers X15TN and 440C.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%