Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Dremel (or clone ) Owners Club

Pacu · 296 · 48257

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: The Dremel (or clone ) Owners Club
Reply #210 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:23 PM
My take is that Dremel does make better accessories but as Eldorf notes they are a bit to expensive. Surprisingly the Proxxon accessories are cheaper than the Dremel here but I haven't tried them (Proxxon seems like quality tools though). I got a bunch of accessories with my Dremel and the holder for the sanding drums is far better then the clones (and works with off-brand drums, might be a way ). Another way is to make your own drums, that way you could use whatever grit you want and get higher quality cheaper, guides are out there.

Another trick I saw for removing larger volumes of metal was to use multiple cutting wheels at the same time, just stick three on and supposedly they hold up better and wont break as easily and wear slower.

Right now I have a Dremel 300 after my cheap clone bit the dust (metal dust shorted it). If this one breaks one day I'll probably go Proxxon since I'm hearing lot's of good about them.

fi Offline temo

Reply #211 on: February 01, 2016, 09:45:01 PM
Agree. Dremel is a brand and costs more then some not brand products. Again some cheaper ones don't always inform max rpm etc. Can be as good as dremel in use or some are worse. And agree as well that dremel has a good selection of accessories. So you could build quite compact workshop if not having room for bigger tools.

us Offline eldorf.dragonsbane

Reply #212 on: February 01, 2016, 11:59:03 PM
Again some cheaper ones don't always inform max rpm etc. Can be as good as dremel in use or some are worse.

For the non-Dremel accessories, I use the recommended Dremel speeds, that can be found in thier user manuals (the different spped tables can also be found at the links provided in this blog post http://blueroofdesigns.com/2015/11/30/dremel-speeds-artists/ in addition to this post she has some great posts for tips on working with different materials and what the variosu accessories are)
~Doug T.

fi Offline temo

Reply #213 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:54 AM
Tx. Yes was just thinking that there are similar accessories for drills as well which have less rpm. So don't know is ot ok to run example 30k speed if stone has max 15k. Btw did run to one test while googled around:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/g1255/can-anyone-top-the-dremel-6-rotary-tools-tested/?

Anyway my machine did cost maybe 20-30€ and still going 'strong'. Most accessories I have broken that tool had with it

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #214 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:51 AM
I love my black & decker RTX. Variable speed up to 30000rpm I believe, and the collet holds everything ive needed so far. I mainly use it for chainsaw sharpening. Went back and forth between this and the dremel 3k, so far im happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #215 on: February 02, 2016, 02:16:18 AM
I own a Dremel and a Craftsman rotary tool. I like both.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

Reply #216 on: February 02, 2016, 03:36:05 AM

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/g1255/can-anyone-top-the-dremel-6-rotary-tools-tested/?

Sweet Chicago Electric Variable Speed Rotary Tool scored the same as the Black and Decker RTX, 4 Stars, plus out of the lot it is also the least expensive.

The Craftsman 32690 (which got 3 1/2 stars) looks a lot like the Dremel 3000, which makes me wonder if it is actually a rebranded Dremel, I know I have read a couple times that the Craftman power tools are just rebranded/rebadged tools made by other manufacturers under contract.
~Doug T.

Reply #217 on: February 05, 2016, 07:03:29 PM
When I got the mail today I had a package sitting there in the mailbox. It was a flex shaft and some sanding bands (they are 60 bands, 20 bands and one drum mandrel of each size- 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" 80grit bands along with) that I ordered (the projected delivery date was Feb 20-Mar6 since it was coming from China). Total order was about $10, $7.79 for the flex shaft and $2.55 for the 60 sanding bands w/mandrels.

Of course have pics:

Pic 1- Flex Shaft in my Rotary Tools case
Pic 2 Flex Shaft attached to Rotary Tool
Pic 3 Flex Shaft end with a Diamond engraving bit showing how to lock the shaft in place for changing the bits
Pic 4 Sanding Bands and Drum Mandrels (right now have the sanding bands nested in larger bands, so there's a 1/4" band in a 3/8" band which is in a 1/2 in band)
20160205_112405.jpg
* 20160205_112405.jpg (Filesize: 187.51 KB)
20160205_112622.jpg
* 20160205_112622.jpg (Filesize: 243.52 KB)
20160205_112721.jpg
* 20160205_112721.jpg (Filesize: 176.44 KB)
20160205_113400.jpg
* 20160205_113400.jpg (Filesize: 356.64 KB)
~Doug T.

Reply #218 on: February 14, 2016, 09:50:24 PM
Well I got my Federal Tax Return back on Friday. I ended up using part of it to get me some more Rotary Tool goodies (accessories). I ended up buying at the local Menard's store the Dremel 710-08 160pcs All-Purpose accessory kit, 707-01 75pcs Accessory Kit, 4485 quick Change Collet Set (this is the set with all 4 of the collets available plus the collet nut), the 4486 Dremel Chuck, and the A679-02 Sharpening Kit (for Lawnmower blades,garden tools,and chainsaws)along with 2 sets of spare carbon motor brushes. The collet nut and the keyless chuck unfortunately wont fit on my Chicago Electric rotary tool (the shaft is a larger diameter then that of the Dremel), though the collets do fit.

I also ordered online from Amazon, a 228pcs accessory set with a wood case, 30 titanium coated diamond engraving burrs, a set of 12 additional screw mandrels, and from a site in China/Hong Kong that I have ordered some Camera gear from in the past I ordered a holder for the rotary tool when using the flex shaft, a dust blower attachment (3rd party), an actual shield for use with cut off wheels and grinding stones (3rd party), the Multi-purpose cutter kit (3rd party,even though I currently have my brothers Multi-purpose cutter attachment), a keyless chuck (that should fit my Chicago Electric rotary tool).

I received the 228pcs kit and the diamond burrs today in the mail (gotta love USPS Sunday Deliveries).

I was also finally able to get the collet nut off of my brothers Dremel 3000 and with replaced it with the Dremel Keyless Chuck. My brother had previously told me to do what I want with it or just to toss it since the cost for a new armature (this is the part that has the shaft in the Dremel), the locking pin assembly, new new collet and collet nut before shipping were close to the cost of getting a new Dremel 3000 (he can order one online for about $15 more including the shipping), I now have a Dremel 3000 in my collection. while the shaft still has the grooves carved in between the locking holes and the locking pin has been worn down, it will lock in place just enough before slipping to tighten the keyless chuck.

Of course this post wouldn't be worth anything without pics.

Pic one-Part of my current collection of accessories

Pic two- My Rotary tool with the accessories I keep in the case with it (note the small canister with the black lid is what i am storing the collets in, and the strings hanging out of the instruction manual are actually face masks like you see Doctors wearing, in fact got these at a hospital back in December when I was visiting a friend who had just given birth, before entering the room a nurse gave me a bunch and said to wear one in the room around the newborn).

Pic three- The Dremel 3000 i was told to do what I want with, notice it has the keyless chuck installed.

Pic four-another shot of the Dremel 3000 this time focusing on the keyless chuck
20160214_145239.jpg
* 20160214_145239.jpg (Filesize: 263.26 KB)
20160214_145343.jpg
* 20160214_145343.jpg (Filesize: 307.82 KB)
20160214_145432.jpg
* 20160214_145432.jpg (Filesize: 268.4 KB)
20160214_145507.jpg
* 20160214_145507.jpg (Filesize: 311.26 KB)
~Doug T.

Reply #219 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12:28 PM
I know double post, but this one is continuing the pics from my last post since I an only upload 4 pics per post.

pic one- The keyless chuck jaws "open"

Pic two- The keyless chuck with a Dremel 402 Screw Mandrel (1/8" shaft) in it

Pic three- The Keyless chuck with a Diamond engraving burr (3/32" shaft with the Dremel 402 mandrel shown for comparison of the shaft sizes)

Pic four- The polishing compounds I currently have from left to right the canisters of polishing compound are 1) from a 3rd party 105pcs accessory set (this is brownish red, could possibly be Brown Tripoli or even polishing rouge), 2) from the 228pcs accessory set that arrived today (this one is green and has a waxy look to it right now,not sure what this is,might be a stainless steal polish, if so it can be used on other metals such as brass, copper, aluminum, platinum, and iron) 3) Dremel # 421 Polishing Compound (the canister has a waxy appearance on its surface, the block below is Dremel#421 Polishing compound, I have a total of 3 of these blocks, only the one has been opened and used, thinking the Dremel Polishing compound might be a polishing rouge). I am hoping to be able to get some different metal scraps to test the different polishing compounds out on,so far have only used canister 1 and the Dremel polishing compound block on an old cheap pocket knife blade, both seem to polish about the same.
20160214_145526.jpg
* 20160214_145526.jpg (Filesize: 217 KB)
20160214_145557.jpg
* 20160214_145557.jpg (Filesize: 246.88 KB)
20160214_145630.jpg
* 20160214_145630.jpg (Filesize: 277.84 KB)
20160214_145840.jpg
* 20160214_145840.jpg (Filesize: 277.14 KB)
~Doug T.

Reply #220 on: March 07, 2016, 07:03:43 PM
Since I last posted have received the items I ordered online, a holder/hanger for the rotary tools for use with the flex shaft, a keyless chuck that fits the Chicago Electric Rotary tool and flex shaft I have, a dust blower (replaces collet nut) that fits the Chicago Electric Rotary tool and the flex shaft I have, and an actual shield attachment (third party, fits both the Chicago Electric Rotary Tool and Dremel Rotary Tools) along with a Chinese knock off of the Dremel Multi-purpose Cutter Attachment (it came with 4 drill bits and 6 HSS cutters) along with the various bits (accessory kits and diamond engraving burr set).

I have also given my brother his Dremel 3000 back, since I got brand new one locally at Menard's when it was on sale for US$60. I also picked up a 6pcs set of High Speed Rotary Saw Blades (one 1/8" shanked mandrel and 5 blades gong from 3/4" diameter to 1-3/4" diameter) for US$0.99 after a US$5 mail in rebate.

Have just about worn out one Diamond Engraving burr from engraving a bunch of river rocks into a couple sets of rune stones (so far have used the one burr to engrave 3 sets of Elder Futhark rune stones (24 stones per set), 2 sets of Witches/Wiccan runes (13 stones per set) plus an additional dozen and a half or so stones, some containing multiple runes (such as 2 copies of Kili's rune stone from the Hobbit movies for my mom and a friend who loves the movies). Will try to get some pics of the rune stones, unfortunately I only have 1 set of the Elder Futhark runes as I gave the others away to friends, though I do have additional river rocks that I can still engrave into one more set of Elder Futhark Rune Stones, though these rocks are larger then the others that I have engraved (about twice the size).
~Doug T.

Reply #221 on: March 28, 2016, 08:17:52 PM
Well I am have made the Rotary Tool Journey back to where it all began for me. I ended up going to a garage sale and found a Black and Decker VP940 Wizard Rotary Tool with 2 batteries and the charger for $1. The Wizard is a 2 speed cordless Rotary Tool. The seller said they weren't sure if the tool still worked as it had been sitting out in the garage for a couple years (the collet nut was all rusted). I figured for $1 if it didnt work it would be no big loss. Got it home and put the batteries on the charger overnight. Once the batteries were charged I put one in the Rotary Tool and turned it on, and surprisingly it works, yay. The only bit that came with it was a 402 style screw mandrel with a broken cut off disc and 7 Black and Decker Heavy Duty Cut Off Discs.

With the help of some Silicon Lubricant i was able to get the collet nut free and remove the mandrel. The collet in the wizard is a 1/8" collet so I can easily use all the accessory bits I have (minus the 1/16" diamond burrs I have from my single speed Harbor Freight Rotary Tool). I can also use the Dremel attachments such as the Chainsaw Sharpener (the nose cap is removable and the threads are the same as the Dremel and my Chicago Electric threads) and even the Dremel Keyless chuck (as the shaft for the Rotary tool is the same diameter as that of the Dremels), though I cannot use the Dremel EZ Twist Nose cap as the collet nut sits to low in the nose cap when it is on the B&D Wizard.

I am now seriously going to have to think about either building the Rotary Tool Cabinet or Rotary Tool Case from Shopnotes issues 124 (cabinet) and 67 (Case) or purchase a Tackle/Toolbox to put the rotary tools in along with all the accessories I have. I would the Cabinet or the Case, though I will need to find someone with a workshop with the tools that will let me use it for building them.

I have included a pic of the Wizard along with the charger and the batteries and a pic of the Wizards speed selector switch.
20160328_134557.jpg
* 20160328_134557.jpg (Filesize: 315.06 KB)
20160328_134634.jpg
* 20160328_134634.jpg (Filesize: 221.97 KB)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:23:35 PM by eldorf.dragonsbane »
~Doug T.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #222 on: March 28, 2016, 08:45:43 PM
Great score Eldorf  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

Reply #223 on: March 29, 2016, 12:41:01 AM
Great score Eldorf  :salute:

I am happy with it, though truthfully it probably wont get much use as I have my Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight and my Dremel 3000 that I just bought a month or so ago (which I still have yet to use, other then plugging it in to insure it runs) that I will be using more. I think I bought it more for the nostalgia as my very first Rotary Tool was a B&D Wizard just like it. Plus compared to the Chicago Electric and the Dremel its a bit under powered, they are corded and this one uses 3.6v VersaPak batteries. I have been looking at a Cordless 9v Chicago Electric Rotary Tool from Harbor Freight for a possible "portable" Rotary Tool for use when I am not near a power outlet or building a "portable power workstation" for the corded Rotary Tools using some 12v SLA batteries and a power inverter similar to one I found over on Instructables.
~Doug T.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #224 on: March 29, 2016, 05:54:32 AM

I had a Draper clone for years and hardly used it until I joined this forum (then it died  :whistle: )
I now have two Dremels that I bought second hand
It’s surprising how much you can do with one with a little patience  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

Reply #225 on: March 29, 2016, 07:15:56 AM

Couldn't agree more. I primarily used my Rotary Tools (the original B&D Wizard and the single speed Harbor Freight one) for working with wargame miniatures that I wanted to do conversions to, until I bought the Chicago Electric Variable Speed Rotary Tool. I am now looking for projects around the house I can use the Rotary Tools for. I did get a bunch of river rocks and engraved a full set of Futhark runes for myself (haven't been "stained" yet as I still have two stones to engrave for the set) a pagan friend of mine who was thinking of trying out rune casting (these stones have even been properly "stained" with the users blood that was mixed in with the red paint used to fill in the engraved rune on each stone by the individual I made the set for). I have also engraved for them a smaller set of Witch/Wicca runes (these symbolize such things as the Moon, Man, Woman, Waves/Water, Harvest/Crops, etc...). For my mom I took a slightly longer stone and engraved the runes from Kili's runestone in the Hobbit that she asked if I could do for her. I am thinking of also engraving a rune stone for my 5 year old nephew, who keeps trying to steal the runestone I made my mom that has his name in the runic equivalent, though I would have to spell it slightly different with the runes then how its spelt as there is no rune that is equivalent to X, will have to use two runes the one for C/K and the one for S.

As for other uses, now that it is getting warmer out will be using my rotary tool (along with the Dremel sharpening attachment) to sharpen my lawn mowers blade along with the blade from a friends mower. I have already used it with one grinding stone to sharpen the blade of a hatchet/hand ax and a machete that I have for camping since I couldn't find my sharpening stone for them, all I could find was the ceramic rod sharpener for my knives.

I am hoping to get some pinewood derby car kits and using the Rotary Tools (along with a coping saw or scroll saw) to help my best friends two boys and my nephew build a car each along designing and building a car for me. I do know that Dremel had partnered with both the Boy Scouts of America (also known as the BSA) and Lowe's to do a Pinewood Derby Workshops (this year they were held on two days, one in Jan and one in Feb), and Dremel has/had a Pinewood Derby builders kit available, it contains one official BSA Pinewood Derby Kit (wood block, axles, and wheels) along with Dremel 18 accessories. If I am correct the kit is Dremel kit#216-02, and retails/retailed for about $18US
~Doug T.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #226 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:49 AM

these stones have even been properly "stained" with the users blood that was mixed in with the red paint used to fill in the engraved rune on each stone by the individual I made the set for

I was staining micarta with my own blood yesterday   :ahhh

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Gr8ToolFan

Reply #227 on: April 07, 2016, 03:03:22 PM
5 Tools & Countless Options!

2 @ 4200, 1 for home & 1 for work
1 @ Mid 2000's Dremel - in storage right now
1 @ Mid 1990's Dremel - in storage right now too
1 @ 1980 or earlier knock off I think. So worn its very hard to tell LOL!

Cases and kits of tool accessories too numerous to list here, but essential.

Newest favorites are the EZ-Locks and Keyless Chuck (sometimes no-tools is nice)!
Life long blade, tool and gadget enthusiast!

Reply #228 on: April 10, 2016, 09:39:29 PM
5 Tools & Countless Options!

2 @ 4200, 1 for home & 1 for work
1 @ Mid 2000's Dremel - in storage right now
1 @ Mid 1990's Dremel - in storage right now too
1 @ 1980 or earlier knock off I think. So worn its very hard to tell LOL!

Cases and kits of tool accessories too numerous to list here, but essential.

Newest favorites are the EZ-Locks and Keyless Chuck (sometimes no-tools is nice)!

Pics????

I was looking at the 4200 when I bought my Dremel 3000, but went with the 3000 as the collets for it are interchangeable with my Chicago Electric Rotary Tool, where as the 4200 uses a whole new collet system.

Been trying my hand at using my Rotary Tools for some wood carving, mainly taking 1-1/2" or so thick branches and craving faces into the side of them (Forest Spirit Wood Carvings). So far its a learning experience, using a rotary Tool for carving wood is totally different then using a knife or chisels to carve, it is far easier in my opinion to accidentally remove too much material with the Rotary Tool. No pics of the attempts as I am still getting used to/learning to using the Rotary Tool for carving.
~Doug T.

Reply #229 on: October 01, 2016, 08:50:47 PM
Oh no, Not another one.

I just added another rotary tool to my collection. This one is another Harbor Freight Chicago Electric Variable Speed Rotary tool, though this one isn't the corded model, it is a 9.6 volt Cordless Variable Speed Rotary Tool (item #69946). It came with a flex shaft (making it a total of 2 that I now have) and an LED Collar light that replaces the collar cap. It also comes with the standard small assortment of bits (some grinding stones, sanding drum w/ sanding bands, disc and screw mandrels with cutoff discs, sanding discs and a couple felt buffing wheels, dressing stone, a couple drill bits, and the collet wrench along with 1 spare collet (not sure of size right now). I also bought the 276pc Rotary Tool Accessory Kit that Harbor Freight carries since one can always use more diamond tipped engraving burrs, mandrels, grinding stones and even the grinding tone wheels that you use the mandrels with.

I am seriously going to have to build that Shop Notes Rotary Tool Cabinet or the Shop Notes Rotary Tool Storage Case as I know have (1) Dremel 3000, (1) Chicago Electric VS rotary tool (Corded), (1) Chicago Electric VS Rotary Tool (Cordless), (1) Black and Decker Wizard rotary Tool (cordless), and (1) Harbor Freight single speed rotary tool along with a ton of accessories and a handful of attachments (ie flex shafts, lawn mower sharpening guide, sanding/grinding guide, etc...) so that i can store everything easier then I am now.
~Doug T.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #230 on: October 01, 2016, 10:20:55 PM
Oh no, Not another one.

I just added another rotary tool to my collection. This one is another Harbor Freight Chicago Electric Variable Speed Rotary tool, though this one isn't the corded model, it is a 9.6 volt Cordless Variable Speed Rotary Tool (item #69946). It came with a flex shaft (making it a total of 2 that I now have) and an LED Collar light that replaces the collar cap. It also comes with the standard small assortment of bits (some grinding stones, sanding drum w/ sanding bands, disc and screw mandrels with cutoff discs, sanding discs and a couple felt buffing wheels, dressing stone, a couple drill bits, and the collet wrench along with 1 spare collet (not sure of size right now). I also bought the 276pc Rotary Tool Accessory Kit that Harbor Freight carries since one can always use more diamond tipped engraving burrs, mandrels, grinding stones and even the grinding tone wheels that you use the mandrels with.

I am seriously going to have to build that Shop Notes Rotary Tool Cabinet or the Shop Notes Rotary Tool Storage Case as I know have (1) Dremel 3000, (1) Chicago Electric VS rotary tool (Corded), (1) Chicago Electric VS Rotary Tool (Cordless), (1) Black and Decker Wizard rotary Tool (cordless), and (1) Harbor Freight single speed rotary tool along with a ton of accessories and a handful of attachments (ie flex shafts, lawn mower sharpening guide, sanding/grinding guide, etc...) so that i can store everything easier then I am now.
Come on, you can't just tell everyone and not put a pic up! That's like torture!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #231 on: October 02, 2016, 04:39:11 AM
Pics were delayed due to me posting that in the 2 minutes between getting home from Harbor Freight and grabbing what i needed to grab for work, then heading out the door to work.

Pic 1- The rotary tool in the case with all the accessories
Pic 2- The Included flex Shaft
Pic 3- the LED collar light
Pic 4- The LED collar light on
20161001_222555.jpg
* 20161001_222555.jpg (Filesize: 265.55 KB)
20161001_222604.jpg
* 20161001_222604.jpg (Filesize: 228.98 KB)
20161001_222614.jpg
* 20161001_222614.jpg (Filesize: 212.65 KB)
20161001_222648.jpg
* 20161001_222648.jpg (Filesize: 232.84 KB)
~Doug T.

Reply #232 on: October 02, 2016, 04:41:47 AM
More Pics

Pic 1- LED Collar on rotary tool
Pic 2- LED collar on rotary tool, light on
Pic 3- Accessories box that came with rotary tool
20161001_222648.jpg
* 20161001_222648.jpg (Filesize: 232.84 KB)
20161001_222659.jpg
* 20161001_222659.jpg (Filesize: 282.69 KB)
20161001_222729.jpg
* 20161001_222729.jpg (Filesize: 196.38 KB)
~Doug T.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #233 on: October 02, 2016, 06:15:00 AM
Very nice. :)
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #234 on: October 03, 2016, 06:42:31 PM
So I said earlier that I would get a Proxxon the day my Dremel 300 broke but I went away and got one anyway. It's a 12V machine and while I haven't used it for anything heavy it seems like a better tool than the Dremel. The provided box is also a much more convenient size than the Dremel one and allows you to remove the insert to use the box for other stuff if you want.
20161003_183503-2064x1161.jpg
* 20161003_183503-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 157.01 KB)

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #235 on: January 07, 2017, 02:47:06 AM
Come on guys, it's been since October since anyone posted on here, you can't tell me no ones used theirs since then? So here I'll start it off,,

My first project of the new year, what is it you ask? I had no clue these things even existed until I even saw one on amazon, even after seeing it I had to do research. But I liked it and kinda needed one so I set sail to the hobby desk to fig it out,

Now, if I had a little workshop with a coping saw and a barrel sander or belt sander I would have had this thing done in 5min, but I don't so I ended up using a Dremel for everything except the fine sanding and rubbing leather on the edges. Besides that all it is, is a small piece of plywood I pulled out of the basement by cutting with the sak farmer saw!

So here it is, a thumb book page holder, hey it works, I'm down with it, I'll have to try it out tonight!
JR
IMG_5739.PNG
* IMG_5739.PNG (Filesize: 295.19 KB)
IMG_5740.PNG
* IMG_5740.PNG (Filesize: 205.96 KB)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #236 on: January 07, 2017, 11:38:37 AM
That looks handy. I think a lot of my volunteers (me included) would love that
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #237 on: January 07, 2017, 04:41:10 PM
That looks handy. I think a lot of my volunteers (me included) would love that
I was going to use it last night but I dozed off, you can get them online, at least their real wood and not plywood, they also have them in very cheap thin plastic, I wouldn't mind one of those just like I made just as thick in like a funky neon green plastic! That would be cool, or layered black green or black red!
JR

hr Offline styx

Reply #238 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:56 PM
As soon as I read "you can get them online" my brain screamed expensive. Although they could be an interesting gift for our sponsors as well
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

england Offline Kev D

Reply #239 on: January 09, 2017, 01:38:11 PM
I got a nice haul of bits for mine at xmas, I haven't used any yet as I got most of them last Saturday when my sister finally made it here for a belated xmas, I'll take a pic tonight to share.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%