Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TV - The Walking Dead [SPOILERS!]

Whoey · 857 · 37485

Poll

How do you follow the series?

Watch each episode as it airs... I have no patience!
30 (41.7%)
Save them up and blitz through the season in a short period!
19 (26.4%)
The walking who?
12 (16.7%)
other (specify)
5 (6.9%)
Brains!
6 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

gb Offline 396988

Re: TV - The Walking Dead
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 11:02:11 PM
But I suppose I'm not as smart as Rick.... he must have a master plan...  ::)
Cuba is a good idea but I think it would be infected, everybody carries the plague and it would have got there somehow.

Every episode I watch I hold out to see them crafting/building/making stuff or at least fortifying their camp. There is definitely too much talking in the show.

I will keep watching though.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 11:10:55 PM
I like the idea of a floating fortress, houseboat etc.   In world war z the zombies crossed the oceans in time, by walking across the bottom.  But if you were floating you'd be safe.  :tu:

Or maybe tree houses... really there are lots of options better than staying in traditional houses with doors and windows at ground level.. but then there would be less zombie killing.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 11:49:43 PM
I like the idea of a floating fortress, houseboat etc.   In world war z the zombies crossed the oceans in time, by walking across the bottom.  But if you were floating you'd be safe.  :tu:

Or maybe tree houses... really there are lots of options better than staying in traditional houses with doors and windows at ground level.. but then there would be less zombie killing.

Exactly :D
K-Tibbs

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:02 AM
The big issue would tend to be the need to go out gathering supplies/food, although I agree a container ship would be a good option for a more controllable and liveable environment as a base of operations. The issue with everyone being a carrier complicates things as if someone dies in their sleep they can potentially cause a mess of your mostly controlled environment.

The choice of vehicles really is a :facepalm: for the most part... although I would imagine having something that runs relatively quiet as to not attract too much walker attention is probably also a good idea, but it should at least be 4x4 imho... and with some heavy duty brush guards to help protect/clear a path :D
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 02:15:37 AM
The big issue would tend to be the need to go out gathering supplies/food, although I agree a container ship would be a good option for a more controllable and liveable environment as a base of operations. The issue with everyone being a carrier complicates things as if someone dies in their sleep they can potentially cause a mess of your mostly controlled environment.

The choice of vehicles really is a :facepalm: for the most part... although I would imagine having something that runs relatively quiet as to not attract too much walker attention is probably also a good idea, but it should at least be 4x4 imho... and with some heavy duty brush guards to help protect/clear a path :D

Everyone onboard my ship would be outfitting with a short wave remotely detonated explosive collar, a la Running Man style, just for those special occasions :o Oh being locked in your own cabin at night goes without saying  :tu:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:17:27 AM by wndrstrck »
"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:22 AM

Everyone onboard my ship would be outfitting with a short wave remotely detonated explosive collar, a la Running Man style, just for those special occasions :o Oh being locked in your own cabin at night goes without saying  :tu:

Hmmm it could have a heat beat sensor so that when you are dead it finishes the job...
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline wndrstrck

Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 02:45:06 AM

Hmmm it could have a heat beat sensor so that when you are dead it finishes the job...

:tu:

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 11:55:49 AM
If they ever get to Cuba they'll have to deal with him:
juan-4x3-juan-of-the-dead.jpg
* juan-4x3-juan-of-the-dead.jpg (Filesize: 281.6 KB)
Antonio

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 02:53:19 PM
Yes, they could walk along the bottom, but sharks and other sea creatures would take care of many of them.  Also, their flesh would become soft with excessive moisture and eventually disintegrate which would severely limit the number of them that made it.  Nice open beaches would be easy to monitor and patrol, plus in the time it takes them to make the crossing, underwater fences could be erected to help keep them out even more.

And while everyone is infected, you'd have a relatively limited number of walkers to deal with, as opposed to sitting around a farm house waiting for a herd to find you.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:42 PM
I guess the more difficult problem would be getting to cuba though.  Unless you found a boat.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 03:48:01 PM
the upside of the farm was that they had cattle (and perhaps some produce) for food... eventually the supermarkets would run out of canned/dehydrated stuff, it'd be good to have some sort of controlled livestock food source... I would probably look for a military base, an airfield preferably as you have excellent sight lines from the control tower, also a good source of vehicles, weapons, and most likely already almost completely fenced off, once the inside area had been cleared... a safe environment. We've also seen that it is possible to build traps... I do like the ship idea, easily enough controlled outside access, and even if the zombies do walk underwater they are unlikely to make it on board via the limited access (the anchor) vs the many methods of access (any beach) on an island. A tower in the city is also a good option, if they block the lower exits, you could have multiple zip lines to other nearby buildings for escape... in fact, blowing out the lower floor stair cases make it impossible for the zombies to climb any higher... and you can have return zip lines from nearby buildings as well... I assume zombies don't seem to know how to use keys, so perhaps the prison really is a good controlled environment as everyone could be locked in a cell at night with access to the key, and if they turn, they are contained... thus reducing collateral damage.

Then again, most people smart enough to use this forum probably would already be better at coping with the situation in the first place...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:14 PM
I guess the more difficult problem would be getting to cuba though.  Unless you found a boat.

If Cubans can make the passage to Florida on doors or in bathtubs I imagine any small craft could cover the distance with relative ease.  I'm sure you wouldn't have to follow the coastline too far before you located a marina of some sort.

The benefit of a prison is compartmentalization.  You could farm food in the yard and sections that are exposed could be cut off until such time as they could be reinforced.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline wndrstrck

Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 06:33:04 PM

If Cubans can make the passage to Florida on doors or in bathtubs I imagine any small craft could cover the distance with relative ease.  I'm sure you wouldn't have to follow the coastline too far before you located a marina of some sort.

The benefit of a prison is compartmentalization.  You could farm food in the yard and sections that are exposed could be cut off until such time as they could be reinforced.

Def

I would totally be going for a prison as well, trouble is so would a lot of survivalists. From what I have read most of them have great bunkers as well  :tu:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:24 PM

Def

yes, but I figure given your love for all things meat... it'd be nice to have some cows too...

us Offline Pacu

Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:52 PM
goats are the ultimate survival animal to have. Easy to feed, taste good, goat milk is better than cow. Maybe rabbits and chickens.

seems like hoarding 22lr ammo would be a good idea and round for zombies. one pop to the head and down. a brick of 22 is 550 rounds i believe. a good ruger 10'22 scoped combo with a few  30 round banana clips and a tree stand could have cleared that over ran farm in a hurry.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 09:13:52 PM
I would go to the least populated areas so hopefully less zombies  :D right im off to watch the next 4 episodes  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:49 PM
If I recall, they didn't have cows on the farm, they had chickens., which are much smaller and easier to look after. Although a bull or two could come in handy!

Either way, a shipyard has a lot of refrigerated containers, many of which will have meat stored in them.

Def

ca Offline wndrstrck

Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 03:13:25 AM
The thing that I always come back to is the fact that in the event of some apocalyptic event every single survivor would have a fulltime job with no choice of where, that would already be determined. Where you might ask. At the one of the hundreds of nuclear waste storage facilities scattered across the globe that require constant supervision and maintenance to ensure we didn't have a nuclear meltdown. :o

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 11:51:29 AM
Newer nuclear power plants are designed in such a way as one has to work to keep the reaction going rather than the other way around.  As soon as someone abandons their post the whole thing stops, which I think is a much better idea than the alternative!

But you are right, and there are certainly enough of those older types around that it would be a serious concern.

Def

ca Offline wndrstrck

Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 04:15:29 PM
Newer nuclear power plants are designed in such a way as one has to work to keep the reaction going rather than the other way around.  As soon as someone abandons their post the whole thing stops, which I think is a much better idea than the alternative!

But you are right, and there are certainly enough of those older types around that it would be a serious concern.

Def

My reference was to nuclear waste storage facilities and not actual power plants. Spent nuclear cores from nuclear power plants are heavily reactive and must be stored under refrigerated water in tanks underground and these tanks are not fully automated. In the event of say something like a Solar flare that takes out the power grid these tanks will run on diesel generator back up for a certsin amount if time but not indefinately. We have reached a point of no return with this one ;D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 05:13:56 PM

Def

My reference was to nuclear waste storage facilities and not actual power plants. Spent nuclear cores from nuclear power plants are heavily reactive and must be stored under refrigerated water in tanks underground and these tanks are not fully automated. In the event of say something like a Solar flare that takes out the power grid these tanks will run on diesel generator back up for a certsin amount if time but not indefinately. We have reached a point of no return with this one ;D

Yep what you say is correct, but it is the onsite 'temporary' storage of waste that is stored this way.  The problem is  you put your rods in this pool of boric acid, refrigerated, to temporary store them. But as the pool fills up the rods get closer.  If there is too much density and the refrigeration was turned off, you could reach critical mass again.  Now.. this would be solved if there was a 'permanent' storage solution, but I dont quite know what the plans are for that.  I would hope they'd at least put in control rods into the tanks to absorb some of the bad stuff.

Ive been in 2 Canadian reactors in my life.  The chalk river one for neutron bombardment studies, and the one on site at mcmaster university where I was actually in charge of teaching a 2nd year lab course.  It always creeped me out in there. And you wear those badges that if they turn black, its all bad.   :tu:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 05:24:27 PM
kinda get the feeling we should be strapping the really bad stuff to rockets and firing it at the passing asteroids or something.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #52 on: March 25, 2013, 01:29:31 AM
It's on soon! :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:50 AM
It's on soon! :D

Can't wait, but I'll have to catch the replay at 11 tonight.  Since there are only a couple episodes left, I'm wondering who's next to bite the dust:P

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 01:56:39 AM
I'm recording it. My wife and I will probably watch it tomorrow evening.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 07:14:10 AM
Can't believe there's only one more episode and then it's over for like what, 6 months or something like that? 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #56 on: March 25, 2013, 11:24:26 AM
Can't believe there's only one more episode and then it's over for like what, 6 months or something like that?
Ahh, I know!!  :ahhh  I couldn't believe it last night when they said the finale was next Sunday!  The episode last night was pretty good!

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 03:23:24 PM
The thing i liked the most in "This Sorrowful Life" is Motorhead "Fast and Loose"!  :drink:
Antonio

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:51 PM
I am refusing to read this thread until the whole series has passed my eyes :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 09:31:06 PM
Just watched the latest episode and I loved it. It was my favorite episode of this season. I will keep it to that as to not spoil anything.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD