Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Rescue Tool vs escape

Quartz · 14 · 6695

Offline Quartz

Vic Rescue Tool vs escape
on: May 06, 2013, 02:24:54 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a bajillion times before, but I'm not seeing anything when I search, so...

I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to grab some kind of something for my car if I ever get into an accident. Being a SAK fan I was looking at the Vic Rescue tool.... but I wonder, it looks to me like it's intended more for personnel to get *into* a vehicle than a victim to get *out*. Thoughts?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Vic Rescue Tool vs escape
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:36:28 PM
With the exception of falling into water, it is more likely to be unconscious or confused in a major crash, so they might break from the outside. But if their is a need to escape and you don't have the tools it would be a pity.
I choose a simpler OHO blade with a window breaker.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:48:33 PM
This one. Simple, cheap, sharp. It stays permanently in the car, under the armrest.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:18:41 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a bajillion times before, but I'm not seeing anything when I search, so...

I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to grab some kind of something for my car if I ever get into an accident. Being a SAK fan I was looking at the Vic Rescue tool.... but I wonder, it looks to me like it's intended more for personnel to get *into* a vehicle than a victim to get *out*. Thoughts?

Yes. you are correct. :salute: It was designed by a fireman for Victorinox as a tool for rescue workers. Specifically this bearded fireman you see in this video. There is another video where he explains the whole thing but I can't seem to find it. :think:

Personally I have a ResQme attached to the gear shift of both cars I drive. Easily detachable, has a seatbelt cutter and a spring loaded window punch. :tu: I don't think I would need any other tools the Rescue Tool has to get myself out of a car.

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:59:39 PM
+ 1 for ResQme

Although, I also have Houdini Pro rescue tool inside the car...

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:04 PM

Yes. you are correct. :salute: It was designed by a fireman for Victorinox as a tool for rescue workers. Specifically this bearded fireman you see in this video. There is another video where he explains the whole thing but I can't seem to find it. :think:

That would be the megafactories episode about Vic, I believe... Should be around here somewhere, too...  :think:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 05:33:33 AM
I have a LM Crunch attached to my shifter with a paracord lanyard and globe knots to keep it in place.

Sent from Endor via Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

Offline Quartz

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:05:02 AM
The thing about the ResQme and others.... I don't think much of that style of belt/strap cutter. More often than not it seems the material curls or binds instead of getting sliced. In my experience I much prefer the crosswise slicing action of a serrated belt blade.

How many of you who have one of these things have tested to see if it actually works?

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 07:15:19 AM
I know the KERT does work :facepalm:

Terry

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:16 AM

It is about getting in.  The sad fact is that most people involved in an RTC that requires outside intervention will not be able to use such a tool.  Inevitably in a high impact collision everything that is not fixed down will go flying and finding an unsecured tool in a vehicle in such circumstances would be difficult.  From an external point of view, without appropriate training it is not always wise to intervene in an RTC other than to ensure victims are stable etc. (Three B's). Moving patients from a vehicle is generally a no-no, so cutting glass etc is generally not an action one would take lightly. The only real exceptions to that are fire, which in vehicles spreads incredibly quickly when the overriding factor would be to move the patient to safety, and obviously water/submerged vehicles where preservation of life is again the overriding factor.

In term of the tool itself: - I hold a first responder certificate and hence carry one as standard in my kit.  The blades include a glass saw and there is a window breaker tool as well.  It's a nice piece of kit, and one that I would thoroughly recommend as part of a serious first aid kit.  It is built to the usual high Victorinox standards, and is probably my favourite Vic tool. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:59:06 AM by greenbear »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:19:52 AM
The thing about the ResQme and others.... I don't think much of that style of belt/strap cutter. More often than not it seems the material curls or binds instead of getting sliced. In my experience I much prefer the crosswise slicing action of a serrated belt blade.

How many of you who have one of these things have tested to see if it actually works?

I've tried the seat belt cutter and it does work very well. It's like a razor blade inside there, not the sharpened piece of thick metal like on some other tools or knives with a strap cutter. I haven't tried the punch on tempered glass though.

... and obviously water/submerged vehicles where preservation of life is again the overriding factor....

That was the main reason why I got one. I live in an area surrounded by two rivers and at that time there were a couple of cases where people drowned cause they couldn't get out of their cars. 

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:22 AM
What happened to these Filipino guys was tragic!
Not only fire extinguishers be equipped in car services like this but also drivers
should be required to carry glass breakers/seatbelt cutters and should know how to use them.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/05/us/california-limo-fire

How thick is the side window of a limo, BTW?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:06 AM
I have a LM Crunch attached to my shifter with a paracord lanyard and globe knots to keep it in place. (Image removed from quote.)

Too many waste of oxygen running around, you might find your windshield crunched one day.  :o

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:39:41 AM
Too many waste of oxygen running around, you might find your windshield crunched one day.  :o
The Crunch stays covered under all that crap in the console. Mamma didn't raise no dummy!¡! :rofl:

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44