Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDCSource.com- How To List An Auction

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
EDCSource.com- How To List An Auction
on: May 07, 2013, 07:35:57 PM
I just typed this all out in an email to a member who asked for help, and I thought I might as well share for anyone else who may have been wondering.  It's actually very easy- it's broken into 7 easy steps, although Step 7 is really just a congratulatory step, and Steps 1 and 2 are virtually the same....

Our software is actually pretty straightforward once you get used to it, but here are a few definitions for some of the things it offers in case you aren't familiar with them.  To start, simply click SELL in the top (black) menu bar.

STEP 1 & 2: Choose Categories- This allows you to choose one main and one secondary category that your item will be listed in.  Choose the best one(s) that apply.  You will need to choose a main category, and the secondary category is optional. 

(Image removed from quote.)

When you get to the next screen you can choose a secondary category for your item or "Skip This Step" entirely if you don't need it.

STEP 3: Item Details- You see the drop down box at the top includes Full Listing, Quick Listing and Buy Out options.  Full will give you the most features when listing an auction, Quick offers less options and Buy Out configures the listing for a basic price- ie if you want to sell something for a specific price rather than to the highest bidder.

Below that you have Item Title, which is just as it sounds- this is what your item will be listed as.

Underneath that you have Item Description which is where you mention the model, details and any other information you want the buyer to see. 

You can also paste links from a photo hosting website like Flikr or Photobucket in here. 

There's a spot for photos later on, but this allows you to put in additional photos without added cost.

Skip the Voucher Code as it's currently invalid, and click on Next Step.

STEP 4: Settings- These are the settings for your auction or sale itself, including a preference for currency, duration of sale, whether or not you will accept offers or would like to set a reserve (minimum) price as well as setting the price if you chose Buy Out.  Bear in mind, the options are different depending on whether you selected the Full, Quick or Buy Out options on the previous step.  I'd suggest that unless you have multiples of the same item that are brand new in box that you stick to a Standard Auction and list each item individually.  If for example you have 3 brand new in the box Victorinox Spartans, then you could select Dutch and list all three in the same auction, and enter "3" in the Quantity box.  The three would all be listed in the same auction, and buyers would see that three are available, and they can buy one, two or all three as they choose.

OR

Going down the list you see where you can upload images- you will want to upload at least one here so that an image will accompany your auction on the homepage or auction list.  Two are included free, or you can add more for additional cost- although as I mentioned earlier I set it up so you could add photos in the description by linking to a photo hosting website. 

Don't forget to click Upload File. :D

It should look like this when it's done.

You can also set the auction to start at some point in the future, choose how long you want it to run for, and whether you want it to relist when it reaches the end, a handy feature if you have multiple items as one or two may sell while the others do not.  Auto relist means they relist automatically as long as you have stock left.

Then all you have to do is list where you are and go on to the next step.

STEP 5: Shipping- This is where you put in shipping details, any caveats you may want to put (like extras for insurance etc), mention that the seller is not responsible for taxes, fees etc or any other instructions you may want to share with the buyer.

You will also have to select a payment method- I strongly suggest that you use Paypal as it offers a significant amount of protection for both buyer and seller, as well as being the most common method of payment online.  If you don't have a Paypal address, it's simple to set one up- go to www.Paypal.com for details on how to do that.  Once it's connected to your EDCSource account then the invoicing and payments virtually take care of themselves!

STEP 6: Preview- This step basically shows you what your completed auction is going to look like when it goes live.  If there's anything you want to change, click on Previous Step until you get far enough back that you can fix whatever you don't like.  Your auction is NOT live at this point- this is just a preview.

At the bottom you see the legalese stuff- read through it and if all looks decent enough click on LIST NOW to make your auction live or SAVE AS DRAFT if you want to save it as is and list it later on.  This is also handy if you have similar items, such as three used Spartans, each in different condition- save it as a draft then just go back and modify the pictures and list them individually.

That's pretty well it.  It's actually really easy to use.  If anyone is still having trouble and would like more detail, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Def
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:50:15 PM by enki_ck »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: EDCSource.com- How To List An Auction
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:52:04 PM
Very good and easy to follow write up, Def. :cheers:

I added a couple of pictures to the original post to make it look nicer though. :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: EDCSource.com- How To List An Auction
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:12:33 PM
It looks great!  Good work!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%