Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flair Owners Unite!¡!

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Flair Owners Unite!¡!
on: May 11, 2013, 02:49:36 AM
I searched the hallowed halls of MTO for a Flair Owner's Club and found none so I figured I'd start one. I got my wife the Flair(s) for Mother's Day this year. I got two because I got a good deal on them both. I told her one can be hers and I can have one as well :D Here's some images

Hers

The date codes on this one are both 0799 but the corkscrew side handle is barely readable.

His

The date codes on this one are 1099 on the corkscrew side and 1199 on the other. The spreader knife was a little scratched and the main blade was dull but nothing I can't handle :D I really love the sheath on this one and don't recall seeing it before. If anyone has info on it let me know.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: Flair Owners Unite!¡!
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:04:01 AM
That sheath is a beauty! They have not made those for years. I am jealous.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:41:36 AM
I have never had a Flair, but hope to join the club someday.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:29:01 AM
stealth007s , they're absolutely beautiful! just like the good ole' cap'n, Me too wants to join them ranks
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Pacu

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:31:39 AM
I'm in. Got mine a few years ago when i first joined up here in 07. I throw up some pics tomorrow when i get back from work. One of my harder to acquire tools.  ::)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Hypnos3510

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:35:16 AM
Now those are the best types of gifts they get one you get one. Great looking tools there hopefully I can join the ranks soon. Those things are really hard to come by.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:51:32 AM
The Flair is such a quirky tool- I hope she gets just how cool a gift that is!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:57:37 AM
The Flair is such a quirky tool- I hope she gets just how cool a gift that is!  :D

Def

I think she does.I hyped it up so much when I thought it was going to be her Christmas gift last year. She's a wine drinker and loves olives, pickles and cheeses. This tool will get a lot of use. Maybe it's a good thing I got two :think: :D
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 02:38:56 AM
Well I suppose it would be good if at least one Flair that was produced actually got used!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 04:32:24 PM
as promised  :D

This one will never leave the collection.  :multi:
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 05:20:09 PM
Well I've got one too but my corkscrew is floppy :(
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
My only Leatherman so far is a Flair. It's made me want a PST as well  >:D
Older pics:
Leatherman Flair 2.JPG
* Leatherman Flair 2.JPG (Filesize: 98.52 KB)
Leatherman Flair.JPG
* Leatherman Flair.JPG (Filesize: 70.24 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 09:11:36 PM
The Flair is the ultimate multitool. It is as strong as the PST but with usefull extras. It has proper multitool pliers, screwdrivers etc. Nothing has come close to it yet.

I have used it (yes some do get used chief) to fix a rotiserie, move the spits about, shift the meat on them, cut the meat and eat it, with some nice wine, using just one multitool.

If,and I say IF, it has a shortcoming is that the corckscrew is a bit delicate. The Juice line gets stronger corkscrews.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 01:37:48 AM
the moment I saw this thread I was like "I wanna join" so i go and search online and see that they are EXPENSIVE!!!.... i envy you all...hope I get to have one before the year ends...if there are any left by that time hahaha... really cutesy little tiny baby fork
Cheers,
Gabriel

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:39:41 AM
the moment I saw this thread I was like "I wanna join" so i go and search online and see that they are EXPENSIVE!!!.... i envy you all...hope I get to have one before the year ends...if there are any left by that time hahaha... really cutesy little tiny baby fork.... my friend who owns a flair always says that his multitool has a folding trident.

and when he shows it off everyone's like "ahhh...well that'sa trident alright"
Cheers,
Gabriel

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:46:21 AM
Yay Im a member. Got to open a wine bottle last week with it. The tool buy was justified. That sheath is amazing. great find and a great start to the thread
8221694055_5ec43d41a7_c.jpg
* 8221694055_5ec43d41a7_c.jpg (Filesize: 188.24 KB)
8222770196_56b1a52237_c.jpg
* 8222770196_56b1a52237_c.jpg (Filesize: 191.16 KB)
8777859680_8bab53c2d4_c.jpg
* 8777859680_8bab53c2d4_c.jpg (Filesize: 273.23 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 03:27:51 AM
I searched the hallowed halls of MTO for a Flair Owner's Club and found none so I figured I'd start one. I got my wife the Flair(s) for Mother's Day this year. I got two because I got a good deal on them both. I told her one can be hers and I can have one as well :D Here's some images

Hers

The date codes on this one are both 0799 but the corkscrew side handle is barely readable.

His

The date codes on this one are 1099 on the corkscrew side and 1199 on the other. The spreader knife was a little scratched and the main blade was dull but nothing I can't handle :D I really love the sheath on this one and don't recall seeing it before. If anyone has info on it let me know.

Wonder Twins Unit!!! :facepalm:

gb Offline muddysuki

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:45 PM
I'm in

Not a great photo but a good bottle opener

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:08 PM
i'm in as well.  mine came in the mail yesterday from ebay.  i love her.

sorry it's a terrible picture.  i took it with my phone, as i was anxious to go buy wine to open.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:59 AM
i'm in as well.  mine came in the mail yesterday from ebay.  i love her.

(Image removed from quote.)

sorry it's a terrible picture.  i took it with my phone, as i was anxious to go buy wine to open.

Nice first post :tu: Welcome to the forum :waving:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 04:04:04 AM
thanks!  i've had an awesome time lurking...i figured i would get in on some of the fun.

when you guys oil this particular tool, is it a concern what to use, since it comes into contact with food?  i've always oiled food tools with consumable oil, often olive when i can't get hold of the high dollar stuff.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 04:38:53 AM
I am struggling to find a photo of my Flair in which I don't have the cocktail fork up my nose  :o :D.

Time for a new photo run I reckon  :think: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 02:32:27 PM
Job done  :tu: :tu:

You gotta love those old LM sheaths  8) 8)

What every flash Harry needs  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 03:03:14 PM
i do love those old sheaths.  i'm actually kind of delighted mine had no gold stamping--made it a little different from my others.

where would one go about putting a lanyard on a flair?  if i had two, i would swap out or grind down the locking screwdriver on the non-corkscrew side and punch a hole for a lanyard.  i've got a short sterling silver chain i made (before i ran out of links, and money to make more links, and my silver wire source) that would be PERFECT, but i don't want to grind or punch anything if i only have one of them.

if i ever find a second flair i will certainly perform and display this thought.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:59 PM
On the flair (as well as on the PST and the PSTII) there's a small thingy on one of the plier-pivots, with hole for a small splitring   ;) . Here, I made a pick for you  :salute:
flair lanyard.jpg
* flair lanyard.jpg (Filesize: 133.34 KB)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 06:22:12 PM
thank you for the pic!  oddly the small ring is on the other side of mine, but when i put a small splitring through it, it stuck straight out, had no play.  since that is the smallest ring i have i'll have to try something else, or a smaller ring or something.

i had no idea that little thing was a lanyard attachment.  i have one on my other older LM tools, and i have always hated it bec ause i couldn't figure out the use for it.  now that i know the use, i'm still not thrilled; what lanyard worth using attaches near the jaws?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 09:43:49 PM
thank you for the pic!  oddly the small ring is on the other side of mine, but when i put a small splitring through it, it stuck straight out, had no play.  since that is the smallest ring i have i'll have to try something else, or a smaller ring or something.

i had no idea that little thing was a lanyard attachment.  i have one on my other older LM tools, and i have always hated it bec ause i couldn't figure out the use for it.  now that i know the use, i'm still not thrilled; what lanyard worth using attaches near the jaws?
Given the toolset of the Flair I wouldn't want the lanyard anywhere else.

I cleaned up this old user only to have it poached by my better half.
On a girls trip she saved the day when the motels corkscrew was missing.
I found out later when being moaned to when he couldn't find his wife one.

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 01:33:07 AM
i added a lanyard, but it might not stay forever...not because i might remove it but being silver it's got really soft links.  i don't see myself using the flair pliers much, so it's not really in the way.  got to find a s. silver fob for it, maybe a bunch of grapes or something.

england Offline hennypenny

Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:56 AM
Hi Flair owners, I am desperate to join your club, but thus far, I'm not able to find one in good condition. I have found one, but with a broken backspring for the corkscrew. The seller is asking US$45. Is that a good price and how important is the back spring? Should I be patient and wait for one in good condition? I'm in the UK, so we do not get Leathermans for sale on ebay. Please can someone show me a picture of what the backspring should look like?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:02:18 PM
Hi Flair owners, I am desperate to join your club, but thus far, I'm not able to find one in good condition. I have found one, but with a broken backspring for the corkscrew. The seller is asking US$45. Is that a good price and how important is the back spring? Should I be patient and wait for one in good condition? I'm in the UK, so we do not get Leathermans for sale on ebay. Please can someone show me a picture of what the backspring should look like?

Part of the flair  ;)  of the LM Flair is all the nice details on it, like the scrolls and the golden colour. If a part of it is damaged it does lose some of that flair.
You really want  a mint one if possible, something you can proudly show off and the broken backspring will result in a floppy corkscrew and make it less impressive (I think some other memebrs here had similar issues with the corkscrew).

Wait for a good one. They are around and if you buy a damaged one you will still want to buy a better one later anyway.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%