Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jeep light install

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: Jeep light install
Reply #90 on: May 26, 2014, 11:38:03 PM
Do you have problems with things having to be rated for road use?
I'm pretty sure most of your "modifications" would be illegal to do over here because you're using non-incandescent bulbs in holders that were only approved to have incandescents. If you want LED lighting you have to buy complete replacement E-marked units.

Whether anyone would actually notice or care...

edit: oh, and if you think a slightly chared bulb holder is bad, Defenders have a habit of burning out their head light switch. It's a popular mod to add in some relays and heavy cable, the stalk turning on the relays that supply the lights. You get an extra couple of volts to each light that way too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:40:02 PM by Cupboard »

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #91 on: May 26, 2014, 11:42:56 PM
It looks like you caught this just in time. Nice work :tu:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #92 on: May 27, 2014, 03:32:28 AM
Technically these should be approved by the DOT, but no one checks this.

I think these are going to have to come out though.  They don't seem to be working properly.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #93 on: May 27, 2014, 11:02:02 PM
You need a resistor to use LED bulbs for the signal lights.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:10 PM
Yeah I know,  but I don't know anything about that so unless I can get a ready made solution handed to me I'm just toss them.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #95 on: May 28, 2014, 02:37:55 PM
I can't help ya there either.  :(   Are they the same bulb as your reverse lights?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: May 28, 2014, 04:45:01 PM
Yes, except these are amber and I need white for reverse lights.  Luckily I have a ten pack of white bulbs coming as I'd planned to replace my brake lights with them too.  Now I'm not so sure I want to replace my brake lights as I imagine I'll have the same problem as they double as the rear signals.

The reverse lights should be good though.

I'm sure I'll find a use for the others- maybe sell them to other guys in the Jeep club.   >:D

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #97 on: May 28, 2014, 04:59:40 PM
Ah, I somehow missed that they were amber.   :facepalm: 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:23 PM
Yeah those ones have to be amber because of the clear lenses.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: June 08, 2014, 03:06:29 PM
I replaced the reverse lights today.  I have a whole pile of 3157 LED replacements now since I'd planned on replacing the signal lights, but after the previous fiasco (they were changed back to bulbs) I decided not to mess with my signal lights.  I guess I am just going to have to learn to live with incandescent signals.

As usual it started with pulling the light off:

The photos are a bit out of order- you see me changing the passenger side bulb here because I didn't take photos of doing the driver's side, which I did first.

Once the light housing is off, make sure you are pulling the correct bulb (reverse light on the bottom on JK's, reverse light on top on TJ's) out, and use a rag or gloves to do it since the oil on your hand may damage the bulb.  Yes I know I am replacing these bulbs, but you never know when you might need them back in, as we saw from the signal light issue above.

Fire in the replacement LED and put the whole mess back together.

It looks wrong in this photo, but the driver's side (left side for you UK guys!) is the LED while the passenger side (right) is the standard incandescent bulb.  I know it looks like the incandescent bulb is brighter in this photo but it really isn't.  Here are some close ups- you can see that the LED bulb is significantly more white than the yellow-y incandescent.

LED:

Incandescent:

I'll see about trying to get some photos later on when it gets a bit darker to see what they look like, but in the meantime I think they are going to be a good thing.

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #100 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:39 PM
Well that sucks! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 02:16:24 PM
I did some research on the resistors and found they are pretty cheap and easy enough to install that even me, with my nonexistent electronical skills could manage.  I just ordered ten of these:

http://www.dx.com/p/6-ohm-50w-hid-led-warning-canceller-decoder-load-resistor-w-wire-connectors-golden-blue-148003#.U5w8x3ZaaSo

I figure I will need four of them (2x front, 2x rear) and I imagine my boss will require a set as well since I also got him some LED signal replacements too.

And, two extra to drop the price and in case I screw up a bit.  :D

Def

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 10:10:14 PM
You don't actually need the resistors, though it is one way to solve the problem.

The better way to solve it is to get a better flasher unit that can cope with the LED indicator lights.
One of the big advantage of LEDs is their reduced power consumption and putting in the resistors negates that.

The other thing to bear in mind is that it shouldn't matter where you put the resistors because all the lights on one side are in parallel, so you could put all the resistors together in a a convenient location, whether that's by a light or not.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: June 14, 2014, 10:43:19 PM
I was wondering about that.  I figured the resistors just signed as much power as the incandescent bulb but converted it to heat.

That's annoying. Still, at least I won't have to worry about following blown bulbs.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:46 AM
The LED fogs I put in before were cheap hunks of smurf and kind of crapped out on me, so I decided to invest in some better ones.  I hope they last a lot better than the first set.   :facepalm:

The old set was about $7 on ebay and these new ones were about $50, so I'm hoping that translates into a better quality bulb.  Either that or I got taken.   :ahhh

Here is a comparison of the old and new bulb.

And a comparison of them lit up- on the left is the new one, on the right is the old one.

And here are some better shots of the new and old ones:

And here is the pair of them now installed.

Let's hope these last better than the old ones.  When I took out the old ones, the individual LED chips were falling off the frame.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #105 on: July 24, 2014, 01:09:37 AM
Well I guess we'll just have to wait till the sun goes down,, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: July 24, 2014, 01:53:10 AM
In case anyone is wondering where all that mud on the Jeep came from, here are a few photos from the quick trail ride we did the other night.

Jeff's Jeep:

Mine:

A couple of bullfrogs in the mud hole:

Jeff's son managed to catch one:

It was a good time!  :D

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #107 on: July 24, 2014, 12:49:46 PM
The LED fogs I put in before were cheap hunks of smurf and kind of crapped out on me, so I decided to invest in some better ones.  I hope they last a lot better than the first set.   :facepalm:

The old set was about $7 on ebay and these new ones were about $50, so I'm hoping that translates into a better quality bulb.  Either that or I got taken.   :ahhh

Here is a comparison of the old and new bulb.

And a comparison of them lit up- on the left is the new one, on the right is the old one.

And here are some better shots of the new and old ones:

And here is the pair of them now installed.

Let's hope these last better than the old ones.  When I took out the old ones, the individual LED chips were falling off the frame.   :facepalm:

Def
The seal on the old ones looks a bit dodgy... perhaps humidity getting in there? I hope you cleaned a bit before installing the new ones? might be worth looking at that it's properly sealed this time.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #108 on: July 24, 2014, 01:09:42 PM
Hey Geoff did you install HIDs in your main headlights? Or are they the ones mounted by the windscreen?

I'm thinking about installing HIDs into my faculty housing on the hilux (somehow. It seems like a faff) and sticking a pair of HID spotlights linked up to the high beams too.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #109 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:04 PM

Def
I was wondering what the beam pattern was like with the new LEDs ? 

For fog lights to work properly they need a very low, flat beam that goes out only below horizontal so the glare reflected from the water droplets that make up fog aren't dazzling you (and other drivers).  The light emitted by LED "globes" is often quite different from regular filament globes, and unless the LEDs, reflector and lens are all designed to work together the results can be worse than well designed regular filament globes. 
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: July 27, 2014, 02:38:25 PM
So far they seem fine.  Oddly enough we haven't had a lot of fog lately to try them properly.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%