Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Two way radios, Motorola vs. Midland

us Offline downtown

Two way radios, Motorola vs. Midland
on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:13 AM
I am looking at getting some new 2 way radios. I will use these for many things including biking, vacation, keeping in touch with the kiddos around the neighborhood and stuff like that. I have narrowed my choice down to these two; Motorola MR350R and the Midland GXT860VP4. Any one have advice or opinions on these two models? All advice and recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance.
Glock and Leatherman.......

bn Offline jojotlc

Re: Two way radios, Motorola vs. Midland
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:43 AM
..i would go for Motorola (any model)...pretty reliable and good coverage.
currently using T8, which is useful in many ways..Clear enough within 3 storey shopping mall, roadtrip, light weight cycling. ..and a useful LED. Good enough for my needs. Its also available as  4 set pack..
Ive read somewhere.it depends on antenna design. T8 prolly got it...

If possible, try out a few models, see what is important..form or function.. :D
Motorola TKLR T8.jpg
* Motorola TKLR T8.jpg (Filesize: 50.69 KB)
Inner Peace  8-)

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:52:08 PM
how has it worked? (10 months later!)

what worries me about Motorola is the short warranty, 1 year only not enough for me.

the Midland (the ones I'm looking at) are 3-5 years, I like that better.

they all seem to lie about distance usage, even with "maximum" possible coverage, 1 person out of 100 should be able to get it, no one I've ever heard of has ever gotten what these companies claim. That is an all-out lie to me.

they shouldn't be able to claim that nono

maybe what 1 in 10 can get, 2-3 miles?!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:55:18 PM by WhichDawg »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:03:34 PM
You both need to be standing up on the peaks of hills, with nothing at all blocking the signal path, and you need a nice clear day to even have a chance at reaching what they claim.  99.9% of the time, you'll never come close.

We're looking at getting some of these for when out in the woods, but the only thing is, you can't use everything unless you have a license to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA-136-174-Dual-Band-Transceiver/dp/B009MAKWC0

gb Offline djw

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:52:31 PM
You will need an Amateur Radio license to transmit with the Baofeng. Exactly what you need depends on which country you are in.

A basic Amateur license that allows you to use this radio should not require much effort to obtain. One thing to be aware of is that licenses will typically limit the intended recipient of your message to other amateurs (and a limited number of other licensed users - my UK licence allows me to work certain military stations on 5MHz - typically these are army cadet, sea cadet or air cadet stations).

If you want licence free radios, you need to look at the licence free bands such as CB or FRS.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%