Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maglite Solitaire LED or competitor?

Quartz · 144 · 23752

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Maglite Solitaire LED or competitor?
Reply #120 on: March 07, 2014, 02:22:54 AM
Just a quick look online says the price gap is only around 5 bucks. It looks like the cost of the upgrade kit cost more than the light itself, so I would say you're better off just getting what you want the first go around. Plus the regular version is not bright at all.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #121 on: March 07, 2014, 07:17:26 AM

Is it worth getting a regular Solitaire and doing the LED upgrade once the regular bulbs burn out or just getting a regular Solitaire LED?

From what I've seen on YouTube videos, the LED upgrade is only around 13 lumens, while the "real" LED version is supposed to be 37. Also, I think (again from YT videos), with the LED upgrade, the head doesn't twist fully for off .... you'd better watch some vids :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:10 AM
Go straight for the Solitaire LED.  I've had the upgrade before and it was....OK.  However the design is a few years old now and nowhere near the spec of the real Maglite.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #123 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:05 AM
Ok, I got the LED version yesterday. This thing is reeeeallllly flooooooodyyyy, which is perfect for me. It illuminates the entire room like a sun. It's even floodier than my Olight i3s.

I like it so far, though it doesn't feel that high quality like the Olight. Feels somewhat... "thinner". But I love its looks. It also turns on a little after you've started twisting the head. I guess this is done to prevent it from accidental turning on, which is good.

On the menu they don't specify if it can be used in a candle mode like the regular Solitaires... though it's so floody, that a a candle mode isn't really necessary. Still the head can be unscrewed and the LED exposed- no idea if this will damage the LED.

There's no spare.... bulb/LED in the back, though there's still that empty hole under the spring in the tail cap.

It's very floody and very bright. For this I love it. It doesn't have the longest run time for the very same reason, though.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #124 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:25 AM
You can take to top off without hurting the LED.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #125 on: March 12, 2014, 11:46:15 AM
You can take to top off without hurting the LED.

that's us mobile

Cool, thanks. I did take it off, I just wasn't sure if longer exposure to .... whatever there is in the air (lol) won't hurt it...

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #126 on: March 13, 2014, 04:18:35 PM
Btw, when the head is unscrewed i.e. the flashlight is on... the head might rattle a little.. if you touch it... or "move". Also, at times it may flicker in the process of twisting it for ON.. which the incandescent version does not do.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #127 on: March 16, 2014, 03:54:38 PM
This is how mine misbehaves : /

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #128 on: March 16, 2014, 04:03:05 PM
This is how mine misbehaves : /

that seemed like an automated morse code signal.  sorry you are having this trouble
If I can help, let me know 

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #129 on: March 16, 2014, 04:11:42 PM

that seemed like an automated morse code signal. 

:rofl: Try reading it... maybe it tells me:"smurf you, customer!"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #130 on: March 16, 2014, 04:39:04 PM
Contact Maglite and they will fix it. None of mine never done that. Not even my old school mags.

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #131 on: March 16, 2014, 04:47:15 PM
Contact Maglite and they will fix it. None of mine never done that. Not even my old school mags.

that's us mobile

It's just I don't want to go through all the hassle and explanations, additional shipping costs, sending it overseas, waiting for it to arrive again.... Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I'll do. Most likely it will just stay in my collection as a back-up of the back-up of my back-up...

And from what I've read on Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one with this problem..

P.S. Okay, Okay, I did find the contacts of some representative in my country on Maglite's official site... so I contacted them via e-mail. This seems to be developing like my old Leatherman Bulgarian Customer Service adventure.... lol. Will see what they tell me, but if they can't handle the situation, or want me to pay, or want any documents/warranty (which I threw away), I won't write to Maglite US...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:57:48 PM by N_N_R »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #132 on: March 16, 2014, 07:54:47 PM
I had a problem with the original Maglite Solitaire. Don't remember if it was flickering like yours or if it just stopped working, but they sent me a replacement part and a special tool with instructions on how to replace the part. I replaced the part and it worked great. All was sent for free and i never had to send in the light.

I just explained how I was a loyal maglite customer and was disappointed with the quality of my light. I also explained (key for the situation) how it would cost me more to send it in than the light is worth. This might work for you if they think the problem can be solved with the replacement part. Hope you get it worked out.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #133 on: March 16, 2014, 09:09:51 PM
Thanks, cap :) US companies usually stand up to their name and take care of their customers from my experience. Just... yeah, me and my location, lol. Turned out the e-mail I wrote to (BG branch/representative) was invalid. I'll either find some official US contact... or... won't do anything.

I swapped the tail cap springs of the incan and the LED versions- the incan's one looked a bit longer/taller, so I wanted to see if the flickering will keep occurring if the problem was in the spring and I changed it... it still flickers sometimes, but I'm not in the mood to play with it a lot now, so I'll see how it behaves tomorrow.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #134 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:15 PM
No problem. I understand not wanting to deal with it right now. If you don't get anywhere with your local Maglite distributer then I would say it's worth a shot to contact the US customer service to see if they will send you a part to try and fix it.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #135 on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:59 PM
Also: the Fenix appears to be both dimmer and more expensive than a Solitaire LED, so unless it has something else going for it.....

The Fenix lights are regulated for flat output throughout the life of the battery.  The Mag-lite is not, so it will begin to slowly dim from the moment you turn it on. 

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #136 on: March 20, 2014, 07:30:06 AM
OOkay, the e-mail of the BG guys didn't work.... so I wrote to the official email given there i.e.the US guys. After 4-5 days they replied.... linking me the BG contacts (when I'd said that I didn't have any success contacting our BG gusy). Lol.

Well. The Solitaire will just stay somewhere there as a part of my collection... I won't use it anymore so that I try to preserve it... sort of... at least it works when you tap it. If I keep ... using & taping it, it may stop working completely. Now there's at least some use for it maybe. Some day. Somewhere.

Ordered a Fenix LD05 to comfort myself :D

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:04 AM

I ended up getting a Fenix E01 earlier today. It was a no brainer between that and a regular Solitaire.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #138 on: March 30, 2014, 08:53:19 AM
Btw, update: the freaking LED Solitaire flickers a lot less if at all with a regular CHEAP alkaleak battery from let's count in USD ... 0.25 cents.

I tried to measure the length of the two batteries and see if Eneloops aren't.... shorter somehow and dont make good contact, but failed to see the difference.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #139 on: March 30, 2014, 08:55:45 AM

I ended up getting a Fenix E01 earlier today. It was a no brainer between that and a regular Solitaire.

The Fenix E01 has become a bit of as classic itself IMO.  You really can't go wrong with one. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #140 on: March 30, 2014, 08:59:09 AM
Btw, update: the freaking LED Solitaire flickers a lot less if at all with a regular CHEAP alkaleak battery from let's count in USD ... 0.25 cents.

I tried to measure the length of the two batteries and see if Eneloops aren't.... shorter somehow and dont make good contact, but failed to see the difference.

That's interesting.  The only other difference I can think of is that rechargeable cells normally run at 1.2V rather than the 1.5V you'll get from alkaline.  Not sure why that should make a difference TBH, just thinking out loud. :shrug:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #141 on: March 30, 2014, 03:16:22 PM

Odd how it does this  :think:. When you put the cheap battery in it flickers less how about when you put the eneloop back in? Hmm very odd.  I'm glad it's working better since getting it sent to Maglite would be a huge pain. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: March 30, 2014, 06:01:49 PM

The Fenix E01 has become a bit of as classic itself IMO.  You really can't go wrong with one. :tu:

I think I made the right decision. I am really impressed at how small this thing is and amount of light that comes out of it!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #143 on: March 30, 2014, 09:15:07 PM
@Aloha,

Yeah, I may try with an Eneloop again... just I'm not home now so I don't have any such around. Anyway, I've lost faith in the Solitaire... lol

And talking about faith, the Fenix E01 is one incredible & tough little light indeed. And it will shine literally till there's 0.0001% juice in the batter and even more, lol.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%