Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissBuck

665ae · 23 · 7067

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
SwissBuck
on: December 10, 2006, 07:26:01 AM
In addition to my growing obsession for multitools... (which I blame on all of you)  I also collect Buck Knives...

I recently started reading about some knives that Buck did as a collaboration with Wenger.  I guess the everything on the knives are Wenger made, except for the blades.  The knife blade is supposedly made by Buck.

Here's a picture of one of them.  This one is the SwissBuck Trekker.

Do any of you guys know anything more about these?  I guess there were 17 different models.  I've been trying to get into Def's super secret SAK forum to ask about them, but I'm having trouble registering with knifeforums.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: SwissBuck
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:19:05 AM
I used to have one of them.  It was a pretty nice knife.  I think they did away with the program.  Too bad rally :(
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:11:31 PM
I believe the only thing made by Buck on those is the little red sticker that says "Buck!"

I have a couple as well, and I like them alot.  The textured scales are very comfortable and secure in the hand, which is why alot of guys prefer the economy line from Victorinox.

Wenger's biggest issue for a long time has been marketing and distribution, and this was an attempt to use Buck's distributiong network to promote Wengers in the US.  It was an interesting, although short lived collaberation.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 04:01:13 PM
From what I can find on the net, they were made from 92 to 98.  I can't find where I read it, but I do remember reading that the main knife blade was made by Buck. 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 04:11:14 PM
Hmm... I just pulled mine off the shelf and looked at the main blade.  You're right Def, it's made by Wenger.  Now I want to find where I read that piece about the knife blades being made by Buck.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 08:06:37 PM
I don't know- that's a new one on me.  I'd never heard that before myself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 09:02:36 PM
Hmm... I can't seem to find anything about Buck making the blades... Either I'm imagining things, or I just didn't read it right...

Maybe I forgot to take my medication...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 09:22:44 PM
Want to share some of mine? :P

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 09:28:32 PM
ATTENTION:

THE STAFF AND MANAGEMENT OF MULTITOOL.ORG DOES NOT CONDONE THE RECREATIONAL USE OF PRESCRIPRION NARCOTICS, NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT MAY FEEL AT THE TIME.  USE AND ABUSE OF PRESCRIPTION AND OTHER NARCOTICS CONSTITUTE A GOOD TIME THAT IS PUNISHIBLE BY LAW AND MAY BE AS ILLEGAL AS GOOD OLD FASIONED SODOMY IN YOUR STATE AND TERRITORY.  THE SURGEON GENERAL ADVOCATES THAT DRUG HUMOR MAY BE HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH AND THE WELFARE OF YOUR FAMILY.  IF YOUR FAMILY IS NOT ON WELFARE THEN IT MAY BE USED AGAINST YOU IN THE COURT OF LAW.  ALL RIGHTS PRHIBITED AND I AM VOID WHERE ALLOWED BY LAW.
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:31:44 PM
I'll have some of whatever he's on.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 09:42:35 PM
Going for the sodomy or the welfare? :P

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 09:53:06 PM
(Reminder to self: I have GOT to find me one of those barfing smiley icons for replies like this....)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 09:54:43 PM
You think threads go downhill fast here, you should see SOSAK!

:laugh:

Def

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 02:18:42 AM
You think threads go downhill fast here, you should see SOSAK!

:laugh:

Def

At least it's not Python!!!! :o

And now for something completely different!! :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 03:11:23 AM
..nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean...say no more say no more...... O0

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 02:46:04 AM
It's been a long time since I read up on Buck knives, but I remember them trying to expand their product line.  They were trying  some interesting things, but most of them just fizzled out.  I think that it was in the late 1980s or early 1990s. 

I think that was about the time that Wenger introduced a bunch of models for left-handed people, but I could be wrong.  I know that was when I first heard of them.

My recollection of the Swiss Buck line was that Buck was trying to sell "Americanized" Swiss army knives.  Buck's market research indicated that Americans liked Swiss army knives, but greatly preferred clip-point blades over the traditional spear-point blades on Swiss army knives.  Basically, Wenger knives were produced with clip-point blades and the Swiss Buck scales.  The textured black scales were functional, but they also served as a clear visual cue to further separate the Swiss Buck knives from traditional Swiss army knives.  (I think that some models were available with gray scales, too.)  The Buck logo was even placed in a non-traditional position.  I don't remember if Buck did any production work on the knives.  Buck might have just marketed them.

I know that I had a Buck Lancer with scissors from about that time.  The scissors replaced the small sheepsfoot blade,  but the interesting thing was that they used a backspring mechanism like the scissors on Wenger swiss army knives.  The main blade was stamped Buck and the knife had Buck's hammer shield in the usual position.

I like Buck knives and I like Swiss army knives, but the Swiss Buck line just never appealed to me.  The Wenger Century knives fall into the same category.  I just prefer spear-point blades.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 03:08:11 AM
Wenger has always made a name for themselves with more niche marketed tools, including left handed ones.  I even have a rare model that includes a key to open paper towel dispensers in Switzerland!

Wenger's weak point has always been distribution in North America, and when the opportunity arrived to offer the Swiss Buck series through Buck's hefty NA distribution network they jumped at it.  The entire knife was made in Wenger's factory in Delemont- tools, blades, scales and all, and was branded with the Buck logo, although it also had the standard Wenger tang stamps on the main blade.

As far as I know, they all had black textured nylon scales.  I have never seen any grey ones, but that doesn't mean there weren't any.

This is the one I have- well made and handy.  I would recomend one to just about anyone that needs a handy little pocket knife.  Personally though, I don;t care for the clip point.  I realize it is an American Tradition and David Bowie skinned bears alive and won the Alamo (oh wait, that was Davey Cockett!) with a clip point, but it really just weakens the tip and that seems pointless (no pun intended) to me.

Def
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 03:10:03 AM by Defender »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 03:10:52 AM
Dumb question: What is a left-handed knife?  ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 03:17:05 AM
It's the same as a left handed spatula or a left handed wrench!

Seriously, when the Swiss design something, they are pretty exacting.  The knives aren't just designed to have the components work well with eachother, but also to work well in the hand.  The tools are laid out in the knife for optimum accessibility, effectiveness, ease of use and comfort, and for predominantly right handed users.  However, there are left handed knives that are mirror images of the standard knives.  The tools are laid out in reverse order and the nail nicks are on opposite sides to be better accessible for the left hand.

It's one of those simple little things that 99.9% of people wouldn't even notice, but may make the difference for someone to prefer their knife over the competition's simply because it "feels" more natural.

The designers in Delemont (Wenger) and Ibach (Victorinox) don't miss a thing!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 03:19:42 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 03:20:48 AM
And some more:

WENGER is offering left-handers its uncompromising high quality, which has been fully adapted to left-handed needs.

Characteristics of the LEFT HANDER Series:
- Inverse machining of the can opener for total convenience, comfort, efficiency and safety of use.
- Reverse screw on the cork opener for a natural screwing motion.
- Inverse machining and mounting of the patented scissors for a exact view of the cutting line and optimal use.
- Inverse machining of all the other main tools and inverse assembly of the whole knife for convenience, comfort and safety in the left hand.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 03:40:21 AM
Wowwwwwww! Even a left-handed helix on the corkscrew? ("for a natural screwing motion") I'm impressed!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 12:04:51 PM
Like I said, those designers never miss a thing over there!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%