Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So using hatchet as hammer wasn't the best idea (no nothing graphic)

jzmtl · 13 · 2983

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
I've been using my hatchet as a hammer for the past year or so for yard work, because I can cut/sharpen stuff with on end and pound stuff with another. Today while driving stakes the sheath literally fell apart, apparently the hammering motion allowed the edge to bite into front of the sheath bit by bit, eventually going through the leather and cut into the thread.

So yeah, something to keep in mind, either don't hammer stuff with it or don't keep your axe shaving sharp...  :bnghd:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Or take the sheath of before you hammer something. :D

Sorry to hear about your sheath. Is it fixable?

ca Offline jzmtl

Should be, I glued it and curing while clamped right now, and will resew it after.

I actually intentionally left the sheath on while hammering, so if the edge accidentally bump into something there won't be any damage.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
 :oops:

Pictures please? Ooh and count your ears  :D
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline jzmtl

Forgot to take one before I glued it back together.  :( But it was a basic sandwich sheath with two piece of leather cover the cheeks and one strip in between front of the edge. That piece has mostly chewed into leather dust and allowed the edge to reach threads that sewn them together and cut them.

My eyeglasses haven't fell off yet so my ears are still there.  :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice

My eyeglasses haven't fell off yet so my ears are still there.  :D

:rofl:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Sounds like you need to make a custom sheath with exposed back for hammerin' tingz!

Personally i just take the sheath off and pay attention to what i'm doing. Don't encourage others to cause apparently its more difficult to take the concept seriously for some.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I gotta say I'd never have thought about this as a possibility.  While I have used the poll as a hammer while the sheath has been in place, it's been so infrequent that I can't see myself ever having to worry about it either.

BTW, we still need pics of your axe and repaired sheath.......though we'll trust you about the ear count. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

Neither did I, but I did drove a lot of wood stakes with it. Garden netting/fencing, winter car shelter, all with near full force swings, guess I'll have to stop being lazy and get the hammer from now on.

It's just a cheap hardware store axe that I beat on and sharpen with belt sander, I'll get pics on Friday since I work late tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:44:10 AM by jzmtl »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Typical Murphy's law thing . You have to get it right every time , he only needs to get you once . I'll confess to hitting myself in the forehead with a hammer , once .

Chris

Offline b00mhower

If you keep having this problem there's probably someone who makes a good kydex blade cover, just my $.02

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I did the same thing to my carpenter axes sheath I made.

I fixed the issue by using wire to sew it back together, glued it and I slipped some paper inside the sheath to protect the edge from the wire. I haven't had a issue and used it quit a bit since.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Kydex?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%