Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Skeletool CX Impressions

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
My Skeletool CX Impressions
on: July 03, 2013, 11:34:14 AM
I bought a skeletool cx on april and i tried it on may on a medical rescue field exercise.you can find some pics about the exercise on this page on the right http://www.usaksaglik.gov.tr/Haber-Detaylari.usmx?ID=821

Shortly Skeletool CX is a good tool, i like it on the field, i carried it attached to my belt loop or belt bridge with its carabiner for 4 days, even when i am sleeping.i get used to open the pliers with one hand, for me it is a full OHT tool.I used her as a work-horse 4 days long and she is still like brand new.I have the bit-kit but the bits on her is enough for daily use.Her knife is as sharp as a new one.

Some interesting things i made with Skeletool CX:

-Reparing the side door's lock of a Fiat Ducato Ambulance.
-Taking out tent piles.
-Small repair on a generator's exhaust system.
-Use as a paper clip, paper weight.
etc...etc..etc..

Pros:
-Tremendous 154CM blade
-Unique and useful design
-Carabiner for easy carrying

Cons:
-A little heavy
-Needs more Carbon-Fiber

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:50:04 AM by nervium »

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Re: My Skeletool CX Impressions
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:38:20 PM
Nice review! Thank you for sharing!  :salute:
Antonio

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:18:22 PM
Nice to see see you putting the skeletool to a lot of use. I know a lot of folks that would prefer the Gerber Octane over the skeletool, but I still prefer my old skele over the octane and even over a lot of my other Multitools. It has seen a lot of use, exposure to salt water, humidity, impact and still serves me well. I hope your skeletool serves you for many years to come!!!

and always keep safe!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

tr Offline nervium

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:55:15 PM
i do not like gerber's multitools, i have two folding knives of bg series only.i think skeletool is the best mid sized multi tool.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:35 PM
i do not like gerber's multitools, i have two folding knives of bg series only.i think skeletool is the best mid sized multi tool.
Which Gerber have you used so far, may i ask?
Antonio

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:47:03 PM
Waiting for his answer, may I say that some of us  don't like the  looks and the on paper functionality of Gerbers, so we might not like them that much that we'll never try any. De gvstibys et mvltitoolvs non est dispvtandvm, vides.

tr Offline nervium

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:48 PM
flik, dime and clutch i used for 1-2 days on the rescue exercises and examined most of the tools.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:51 PM
flik, dime and clutch i used for 1-2 days on the rescue exercises and examined most of the tools.
Thank you, interesting! A Flik was my first MT and up to today i find it a good medium size MT.
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:05:03 PM
Waiting for his answer, may I say that some of us  don't like the  looks and the on paper functionality of Gerbers, so we might not like them that much that we'll never try any. De gvstibys et mvltitoolvs non est dispvtandvm, vides.
Well i agree that some Gerbers are a joke, but they still have some great MTs.
Antonio

tr Offline nervium

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:25:40 PM
i have bear grylls folding sheath, compact, compact scout, evo 3.5" and metolius.evo is one of my favorite edc knives with its' finger flip opening.i have no problem with the brand, my problem is with its' multitools.Maybe i haven't met a good one yet  :multi:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:47:30 PM
I think the Skeletool is one of the most polarising tools for consumer opinion. I'm at the opposite spectrum to nervium and can't stand it. Credit where credit is due though, it certainly does have a substantial following out there  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:35 PM
It's an OK tool for right handed use but for lefties the ergos on it are terrible.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:58 AM
I'm a rightie and despised the ergos  :P

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:24 AM
You and Leathermans always had a special relationship. :P

:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:35:56 AM
 :D Yeah we kind of got off to a bad start, and then it all went a bit downhill from there  :rofl:
They do make some excellent tools in and amongst the rest of the tripe though, so it's not all bad   :whistle:

:P

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 01:22:40 AM
While I have found a lot to like about the Skeletool, I keep running into the same issue with it:

The Skeletool is a knife, a cap lifter, a bit driver, and marginal (at best) pliers that weighs in at 5.5 oz, and is approx 4.25 inches long X over a half inch thick X over 1.25 inches wide.

You can have a SOG Pocket PowerPlier in a smaller and lighter package. The PPP gives excellent pliers with compound leverage (OHO), ruler, knife, file, can opener, cap lifter, awl, philips, small, medium, and large flat drivers. And that is box-stock, with two empty slots. You can customize the tool loadout to suit your liking/needs. Did I mention the PPP is cheaper?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 01:23:39 AM
Geez, I sort of sound like a SOG salesman. I swear, they aren't paying me. :)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

tr Offline nervium

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 10:07:32 AM
While I have found a lot to like about the Skeletool, I keep running into the same issue with it:

The Skeletool is a knife, a cap lifter, a bit driver, and marginal (at best) pliers that weighs in at 5.5 oz, and is approx 4.25 inches long X over a half inch thick X over 1.25 inches wide.

You can have a SOG Pocket PowerPlier in a smaller and lighter package. The PPP gives excellent pliers with compound leverage (OHO), ruler, knife, file, can opener, cap lifter, awl, philips, small, medium, and large flat drivers. And that is box-stock, with two empty slots. You can customize the tool loadout to suit your liking/needs. Did I mention the PPP is cheaper?

leatherman have smaller and lighter tools too, but think about why people like skeletool  :multi:

Offline leigh.ratcliffe.5

Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:49 AM
Needs to be EDC'ed with a SAK Farmer.

Offline GearsNTools

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 06:51:23 PM
I think your review is spot on man. 

I came to a similar conclusion when I reviewed it. 

~GearsNTools

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 07:58:22 PM
Love the Skeletool, although I'm a bit concerned for the thin pliers breaking. Also think the CX is a big ripoff for that tiny piece of CF.
SAW

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 04:26:56 AM
Love the Skeletool, although I'm a bit concerned for the thin pliers breaking. Also think the CX is a big ripoff for that tiny piece of CF.

I agree. Needs more carbon fiber, but don't forget the 154cm blade. Great steel in my opinion. I can get it razor sharp and it holds the edge for a fairly decent amount of time. Worth the extra dough to me.

us Offline Rux

Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 06:43:52 PM
I think the Skeletool is one of the most polarising tools for consumer opinion. I'm at the opposite spectrum to nervium and can't stand it. Credit where credit is due though, it certainly does have a substantial following out there  :tu:

This. Looks awesome, great conversation piece, I wanted to like it. It just didn't gel with me. More than likely because of...

It's an OK tool for right handed use but for lefties the ergos on it are terrible.

THIS! I don't even really care for my Wave, one reason being right handed ergos. I can operate them, but nothing about either tool jumped out at me enough over other designs to make me desire them over other options.

The Skeletool I had was passed on to a right handed friend and has found a great home.

This friend couldn't understand why I would want to carry a multitool, but always carried some junk-a-noo made in China $5 pocket knife.

I gave him the Skeletool to "replace" the cheap knife as his new pocket knife.

He constantly updates me when I see him about useful it is, he used it for this, or that. Pretty sure I converted him to a multitool carrier as now he really really wants a Surge.  :D

I wanted to like the Skeletool, but I hate right handed liner locks as a lefty. I can use them, but with so many ambidextrous options, why settle for it?

I'm happier with my Rebar and an ambidextrous folder.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 03:52:02 AM
I've been using the bottle opener on the skeletool tonight and I gotta say I dig it. It does the job nicely.

Offline andyroo54

Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 10:30:06 AM
I don't know how you can sat its too heavy, I think it's very lightweight, it is similar to leatherman wingman. I love my skeletool its much smaller than I imagined based on the pictures of it.. I didn't think I'd like it but it really grows on you :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%