Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody Having Quality Issues With LT?

LL · 11 · 2247

Offline LL

Anybody Having Quality Issues With LT?
on: July 03, 2013, 01:41:20 PM
Is anybody having quality issues with LT lately? Several of my recently bought Leathermans are having some issues.

PS4 Black.        -the file has a weird little bump near the end of the file. It appears to have been made when they were        stamping down the "groove cutter".
                        -the rivets on the scissor side are loose, so the scissors have a lot of play and when I use it, the tension bar gets stuck with the scissor body, making it impossible to use.

Wingman-          -the blade appears to have been made to thick, making it impossible to open one-handed.

2013 new TTi.     -the wire cutters don't interlock properly
                          -PLIERS RUSTED IN 2 weeks of use! :-\

Anybody else having problems? Any word of help? :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:44:31 PM by LL »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Anybody Having Quality Issues With LT?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:57 PM
I have a problem with my Surge that was stiff until I start using it and now it needs to be tightened every couple of weeks. Especially the serrated blade is rubbed against the scale because of that. The Juice Pro is better executed. In general the Victorinox (Wenger also) products seem to be of very higher quality. But my Leathermans are very- very useful. They just need some fine tunning.

Offline LL

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:27:28 PM
I have a problem with my Surge that was stiff until I start using it and now it needs to be tightened every couple of weeks. Especially the serrated blade is rubbed against the scale because of that. The Juice Pro is better executed. In general the Victorinox (Wenger also) products seem to be of very higher quality. But my Leathermans are very- very useful. They just need some fine tunning.
I agree!

Offline sharp-as-a-hammer

• New User
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 11:09:32 PM
no issues,per se.

"issues" sorta indicates that LM's problems could be
cured by a psychologist

I just bought a ST300 and 2ea REBAR

the ST300 is as big as a house,and not near the quality
of the Super Tool.
it did not inspire me to retire my Super Tool.

the REBARS are low quality Pacific Rim junk.

I have made a necklace out of the 3 of them,
and I have sentenced myself to 30 days of wearing
said necklace,as a reminder to NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER
LEATHERMAN product

the final destiny of said necklace will be the nearest dumpster

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:17:16 PM
no issues,per se.

"issues" sorta indicates that LM's problems could be
cured by a psychologist

I just bought a ST300 and 2ea REBAR

the ST300 is as big as a house,and not near the quality
of the Super Tool.
it did not inspire me to retire my Super Tool.

the REBARS are low quality Pacific Rim junk.

I have made a necklace out of the 3 of them,
and I have sentenced myself to 30 days of wearing
said necklace,as a reminder to NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER
LEATHERMAN product

the final destiny of said necklace will be the nearest dumpster
I share your sentiments about LM tools.  And welcome to the forum  :cheers:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:58:10 AM
I believe that Leatherman's quality has been deteriorating for a while. In my mind a Leatherman tool WILL cost me considerably more money for something that MIGHT be slightly better quality than a lower cost alternative tool.

These days I tend to be more of a Gerber fan. I find these days that the Gerber's are sometimes (but not always) the better tool, but generally speaking I find them to be better VALUE (price vs quality) than Leatherman's offerings.

Both companies are of course left in the shadows by Victorinox's quality

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:11 AM
I believe that Leatherman's quality has been deteriorating for a while. In my mind a Leatherman tool WILL cost me considerably more money for something that MIGHT be slightly better quality than a lower cost alternative tool.

These days I tend to be more of a Gerber fan. I find these days that the Gerber's are sometimes (but not always) the better tool, but generally speaking I find them to be better VALUE (price vs quality) than Leatherman's offerings.

Both companies are of course left in the shadows by Victorinox's quality

This.

I used to bag on Gerber a lot, I still think LM is better, but you make a really good point about value for the dollar. I stopped buying LM a couple years ago after my Skeletool was the third tool I bought in a row that was sub-standard in quality. I have a hard time rccomending them any more either unless there's good reason.

Just the other day I told my step-brother to get a ST300 rather than a Swisstool because it made more sense given it's intended use (he may very well need to access the tools/blade with gloves) but it was kinda hard for me to do knowing that he may text me in two weeks bitching about it having issues or rusting already.

Offline Paolo Enrico Pasco

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 01:39:56 AM
Leatherman's Quality Control Diminished. I love Leatherman MTs, I dont even bother buying other brands. So this ramphant Quality Issues makes me unhappy. Witnessed the quality issues first hand, inspected more than 20 units (in regular cardboard boxes), on different stores. Almost all has issues, mostly fit and finish, Blade Play, inner tools play, Scales moving, hard scratches out of the box even those in Blister Packages. Just sad. I really hope they do something about this. We love leatherman for their top notch quality as well as functionality.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:44:49 PM
Sadly, when I squeeze pliers in my Rebar, the handles start to bend in opposite directions, ie under force are not at one surface. I unscrewed one bolt and discovered that one of the holes in handle is not round but rather egg-shape.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:10:14 PM
I started using LM items a few years before but frankly, LM never means top quality to me.  At least not as top tier as Swiss products. 

As an Asian,  what LM means to me is just like other made in USA products.  They are super great value to money,  confidence, beatable, abusable, tough and boorish, but nothing shiny.  It's like a pair of beautiful Jeans.  You will be very happy to fxck it up without being guilty though it maybe nice, fine and pretty. Vic products or Swisstools are strong as tank,  mirror shiny,  world class top quality,  luxury item.  It's like a Giorgio Armani suit.  It is top of the line, beautiful, handsome, shiny. It is durable though, you feel guilty to abuse it.

For me at least,  I don't expect perfect for LM products as long as it is strong, tough and good.  I don't care the f&f.  If I want something perfect,  something super fine,  I'll get a Vic.

By the way,  for the scissors not working on your tool due to the spring stuck on the body, try to put a small drop of oil on that contact surface of the scissors and the spring, and rub it over with a tissue. It usually helps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:38:03 PM by aurabattler »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:11 PM
I've never had any quality issues with mine..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD