Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photos Essay: Black Oxide Supertool

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Photos Essay: Black Oxide Supertool
on: April 28, 2008, 09:34:40 AM
Parachute jumps.

Sprinting through the streets of the capital city of Cambodia, taking the last Americans in country to the evacuation point in the wake violence brought on by a political coup.

Field repairs in the dark of night in the deserted hills of Virginia, the only illumination from the flame of a lighter.

Things this tool has seen and done. Issued through the United States Military this tool has lead a long and productive life, the small markings of such are evident in the finish. Built between June and August of 1996 this tool is an example of Leatherman's third model. First released in 1994 the Supertool helped pioneer the concept of larger tools, taking them out of the pocket and making them more capable on the jobsite or in the field.

At the time it was released it must have looked like the odd duck in the line-up. Departing from the usual shiny bricks of most other multis with it's black finish and with that weird hole in the pliers most people given the chance to purchase one probably would have passed it up for the regular version. The black finish is both repelling and attractive. It seems to disappear from the eye when used, operating outside the view of most people the interiors are dark and alluring. What is inside those handles that necessitated that finish? It seems almost dangerous, laughable since it would make a poor weapon and is designed for the most utilitarian roles.

The blades are one of the most interesting features of this model. They seem to balance the duality of vintage and modern. The clip point grind of the plain edge blade, distinctly American and evoking images of the knives used by the men of the old west. And the spear point serrated blade, modern and different, implications of cutting edge technology.

Offline Carthas

Re: Photos Essay: Black Oxide Supertool
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:15:05 PM
I wasn't aware that LM made the supertool with blasting cap crimpers. Was it once owned by someone in the military? The stories it would tell if it could. It's a good find you have there Spoon, and exellent pics too :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:37:15 PM
I agree, great pics as always Spoon.  :)

I have a BO Supertool in my collection and I love it.  It is the only tool now that ever gets a look in up against my Swisstool X.

How are the handles, are they quite loose?
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:11:35 PM
Very nice. I still think the super tool is one of the most bullett proof tools out there, and would never feel out gunned with one.
S

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:22:33 PM
Excellent find :) Looks great even if the finish has worn off in places, gives it history!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:05:44 AM
Best MT ever made IMO. My Super Tool has been used and abused for over 10 years now and still comes back for more.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:55 AM
The SuperTool is a great MT. Spoon, you take really nice pics!
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:47 AM
I believe the tool was owned by a Combat Engineer in the US Army. He said it was an issue item to him in late 1997 and was on his person for most of his service. As the pictures show, it's been used but very well taken care of. The handles are still fairly tight and the pliers lock open with enough force to still be useful. It was a good find for me, I always keep an eye out for multitools with a little history behind them.  :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 02:02:18 AM
Great pictures and analysis as usual Spoon.  8)

Looking at this particular shot got me to thinkin'.

Most people (me included) tend to think of the Super Tool simply as an evolutionary step longer than the original PST. But there was more to it than just length. On the PST only one side of each handle was bulged, which allowed only one "long" blade in each handle. (The knife and the file on a PST)

Whereas on the Super Tool they bulged both sides of both handles, which allowed a total of four long blades (plain knife, serrated knife, file, and saw) This arrangement has since become the standard on most plier multitools today.

Kinda interesting when you think about it.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 06:29:30 AM
I really like my Super Tool for big jobs,but that BO & EOD really makes that an excellent tool,great pic's.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:23:39 PM
Spoonrobot always took great pics and did some fine tool reviews :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:02:59 AM

us Offline Poncho65