Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO 7th aniversary Fixed Blade Giveaway!

Grathr · 31 · 2976

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
MTO 7th aniversary Fixed Blade Giveaway!
on: July 16, 2013, 09:58:45 PM
MT.O is a great place, full of some of the nicest people I have ever met.  :salute:
So, in honor of MT.O's 7th anniversary I am giving away a Marttiini Lynx knife with a birch handle and leather sheath. (se pics below) I will ship world wide.

To participate you you have to:
-Be over 18 years old
-Write a few words about an outdoorsman/woman that you respect.

I will give each participant a number, and draw a winner on sunday 21.07.13

I'll start:
One of my favourite outdoorsmen is a Norwegian named Lars Monsen. He is quite famous in Norway, but probably completely unknown to the rest of the world. Some of his acomplishments are: walking across norway from North to South. Crossing alaska on foot and canoe. Crossing Canada from coast to coast on foot, in canoe and with dog sledge. He has written several books, and made several TV-dokumentaries about his travels. He is also a notoriously though guy, wich has lead to people making Chuck Norris like jokes about him. :D

Marttiini 1.JPG
* Marttiini 1.JPG (Filesize: 475.97 KB)
Marttiini 2.JPG
* Marttiini 2.JPG (Filesize: 511.56 KB)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: MTO 7th aniversary Fixed Blade Giveaway!
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:39 PM
MT.O is a great place, full of some of the nicest people I have ever met.  :salute:
So, in honor of MT.O's 7th anniversary I am giving away a Marttiini Lynx knife with a birch handle and leather sheath.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

:o

Wow, that's a beautiful knife you're giving away. Thanks for joining the celebrations. :cheers:

And a great idea for a giveaway. :salute: I'll have to think of someone good for this. :think:

Good luck to all who enter. :2tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:39 PM
Many thanks.

Well, I would  say Ben Gunn, but since he is fiction, then Alexander Selkirk, the Scottish Robinson Crusoe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Selkirk

I was always fascinated by Robinson Crusoe, and Selkirk's real story might be even more fascinating. No adventure clothes and tools for him, just survival insticts and skills.
Then, I also admire any given aboriginal of certain places on earth, like Bushmen and such.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:36:20 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:10 PM
As much as I want to enter I won the Fixed Blade Giveaway back in February so I don't think it would be right. Thank you Grathr for being so generous and good luck to everyone.   :salute:
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:27:59 PM
Thanks for the generous giveaway.

One of my favorite outdoorsmen is Les Hiddins. There was simply something intriguing about a man called the Bush Tucker Man. After watching his series , there was something almost magical to the practical way that he showed and explained wilds foods of the Australian wilderness. After a total of 23 episodes and some cringe worthy stuff the straight on, easy explanation approach was something I personally desired in more presenters when it came to wild foods.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:37:46 PM
Thanks for this opportunity.

I've been a fan of Dave Canterbury, not so much for his work on the TV series 'Dual Survival', but for his Wilderness Outfitters channel on youtube, in particular a series he did on budget bushcraft. I'm always a fan of anyone who can encourage folks, particularly young folks, to get outdoors, and show them how to do it on the limited budget kids are usually restricted to. My first hike in the Smoky Mountains I was wearing a borrowed pair of combat boots, so I know how that feels.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:05:50 AM
As much as I want to enter I won the Fixed Blade Giveaway back in February so I don't think it would be right. Thank you Grathr for being so generous and good luck to everyone.   :salute:

I'm going to echo the good Captain's sentiments here -- it looks like another beautiful knife from Grathr, but I'll sit this one out as I just won his most recent giveaway.  I'm still going to enjoy reading these entries though!  :cheers:

good luck to all, and many thanks to Grathr (again!) for his generosity.  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:48 AM
Beautiful knife, and very generous giveaway  :hatsoff:

The first person that springs to mind is Lofty Wiseman, author of the SAS Survival Guide.

Back in the day, Lofty and his companions were learning all the stuff the hard way - in the middle of nowhere and facing a whole host of life threatening situations. Not only did he put skills and knowledge to use to stay alive, keep his buddies alive, and serve his country, but he was constantly both learning and teaching as he did so. A whole raft of new idea have come about since then, and in many ways things have gotten much easier. Material have advanced, and so have the skills and techniques which have built on and evolved from the older knowledge. Being in a warfare situation limits your options too. AFAIK, the SAS Guide doesn't list the easiest method of finding water .... walk downhill .... but then again, when your tucked away in a little nest trying to avoid detection the rules and breadth of options are very different. A lot has happened since then in the "survival arena", but his teachings are still very valuable and will serve as a very solid knowledge base (or reference guide) for anyone wanting to spend time in the outdoors

Thanks Lofty, and thanks Grathr

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

bm Offline skygear

• N0
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 05:59:27 AM
My fav is a a fictional character in a book that got me into the outdoors as a child. "My Side Of the Mountain" - great book with diagrams and factual info in it. I made everything in the book that he mentioned!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Side_of_the_Mountain

Sam Gribley, a 12-year-old boy who intensely dislikes living in his parents' cramped New York City apartment with his eight brothers and sisters. He decides to run away to his great-grandfather's abandoned farm in the Catskill Mountains to live in the wilderness. The novel begins in the middle of Sam's story, with Sam huddled in his treehouse home in the forest during a severe blizzard. The reader meets Frightful, Sam's pet peregrine falcon, and The Baron, a weasel that Sam befriends. Roughly the first 80 percent of the novel is Sam's reminiscences about how he came to be in a home made out of a hollowed-out tree in a terrible snowstorm, while the remainder of the novel is a traditional linear narrative about what happens after the snowstorm.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:22:09 AM
I have to say my favorite outdoorsman is my friend Carstie

he lives in a small cabin in the woods surviving mostly off the land.

I've learned my things from him.

thanks for the second chance Grathr
Defend the Hive!!!

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:10:33 AM
Wow. Such a generous offer indeed... many Thanks.

I would like to say that my favorite is a man named Mike Horn

Mike Horn is a South-African born Swiss explorer and adventurer. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa he currently resides in Château d'Oex, Switzerland.

Mike Horn became famous in 2000 after completing a solo journey around the equator without motorized transport. In 2002 He completed a two-year 3 month solo circumnavigation of the Arctic Circle and in 2006 along with Norwegian explorer Børge Ousland, became the first men to travel without dog or motorized transport to the North Pole during permanent darkness.

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:54 PM
This is very nice of you and a very nice knife.

I have 2 people who have equally showed me a thing or two about brushcraft, hunting, firearms and among other things. They are not famous and I am pretty sure nobody has ever heard of them. They are my Dad and my Grandfather. My Dad is a retired veterian who spent 20 years in the USAF. Nuff said.
My Grandfather(RIP) was old school and an oldtimer. He was a farmer, coal miner, horseman and a craftsmans.
They may have never climbed Mt. Everest or sailed the seven seas in a rowboat, but they sure do/did know there smurf and they are top notch in book.

Please don't count my post. I just thought these two men deserved a few words.
sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:29:35 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:32:22 PM
I would like to mention my grandfather too. I teached me a lot, spending times in the wood. And he has a very trained nose. He smells shrooms, long before you can see them. That way we often found some hiding from us. (And sometimes hided by someone else. One big 1000g shroom was discovered below some branches and leaves, not visible. Some days later, after a very tasty meal, one neighbor was upset when "his" shroom was stolen).  :D

Offline woomart

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 11:48:52 PM
Bear Grylls. Iwatched him all the time. Some of his survival stuff seems set up for tv audience, but he's still cool. Some of the things he does, i just say to myself. Ah! Bear, just go around it. lol.   

no Offline HeXeY

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:56:36 AM

:D

Just had to post that when I say the name  :rofl:

Not gonna join this, as I don't need another fixed blade... of that size ;)

Men takk for sjansen Grathr!  :salute:

us Offline ameeks

• A quality knife is a companion for life.
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 05:28:10 AM
That's a wonderful knife. Thanks for the opportunity to win.
George Washington Sears, aka "Nessmuk" Cherokee for wood duck, inspires me. He was a sportswriter for Forest and Stream magazine in the 1880s and an early conservationist. His stories, appearing under the pen name, "Nessmuk" popularized self-guided canoe camping tours of the Adirondack lakes in open, lightweight solo canoes and what is today called ultralight camping.

You can read his book online here. http://www.zianet.com/jgray/nessmuk/woodcraft/title_page.html
Be Prepared.
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Blog

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 08:28:59 AM
Thanks for the chance and the awesome prize!¡!

Mine would have to be the fishing guide I had while I was in Alaska last month. His name is Gerry and he's a 65 year old farmer from Montana that donates his time to the lodge we visited. One of the days we fished with him, he had us go out of the water and walk on the trail while he walked up stream to look for fish to catch. As we walked the trail, Gerry walked up stream faster than we walked on the trail. It was an amazing feat to me and the other fishermen and women on the trip. We ended up in a honey hole of Arctic Grayling and caught more than our share of them.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 11:32:09 PM
Uhhh...

Well not sure if this counts, but my favorite "outdoorsman" is Reinhold Messner, first mounaineer to ascend all mountains over 8000m and who was also the first to climb Everest without oxygen supply. He also claims to have seen the yeti  :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 12:48:08 PM
Thanks for the chance Grathr. :cheers:

For a few years now I have learned much from an old man who travels the world working with horses. Being good at what he does makes it easier to see what I need to work on. Skills like remaining calm, focusing on what is important and having patience not only keep us safe in the mountains but have helped me be a better parent. I am very thankful for the time I get to spend with him.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 05:50:10 PM
The contest is now closed. I will soon reveal the winner.  :ahhh
It has ben a pleasure to learn about different outdoorsmen you respect.   :salute:   
Some I have heard about earlier, and some are new to me. I will definitly look into those that are new to me.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 05:54:08 PM
And the winner is.....

Goatlord666!

Congratulations! :cheers:

PM me your adress and I will ship it within a couple of days.

hr Offline styx

Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 06:14:57 PM
congratulations and thanks again for the awesome giveaway
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:31 PM
Congratulations Goatlord!!  :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 09:04:12 PM
Congrats goatlord666!

us Offline ameeks

• A quality knife is a companion for life.
Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 09:33:42 PM
Congraaats, goat.  :tu:
Be Prepared.
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Blog

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 10:15:20 PM
Congratulations Goatychap :cheers: and thanks again Grathr  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 08:38:43 PM
Congrats Goatlord!¡!
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:08 PM
Congratulations!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 09:05:56 PM
Congrats! Goatlord666!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:53 PM
Congrats goatlord666!   :cheers:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79