Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sinounionechnologyld Led Upgrades

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Sinounionechnologyld Led Upgrades
on: July 22, 2013, 02:51:48 PM
Some of you might be scratching your head at the extremely long name.
Sinounionechnologyld

No its not a brand, its a hong kong based Ebay seller who speSmurfpillses in led modules.

I thought I might give him a plug. Why? He sells amazing products at amazing prices with very fast postage time. "

The product I am most impressed with is his 2 cell 20 lumen Led replacements for Krypton bulbs.
Many will be exclaiming 'what!? ??? Just 20 lumens? ? ? ?'
Yes, just 20 Lumens.

The bulbs are available in PR29 bayonet style and in a threaded K222 screw in style. Basically the two most common bulb sizes for torches/flashlights using AA, C or D batteries in the last 70+ years.
What is so good about them is the seller sells either style in packs of TEN for US$8 posted worldwide. That's 80 cents a LED bulb. Cheaper than I can get an incandecent locally.

I bought my first set of 10 PR29 bayonet leds  purely on the strength that I could get ten for half the price of a single brighter lumen kit from the UK or the USA. The package arrived in my place from hong kong in 4 days.. a lot faster than I was expecting.

My original 'need' for a LED upgrade was for my vintage 1950's brass right-angle boy scout flashlight. It had a dull yellow ring and threw very little light on account of the chrome on the reflector had long before my time worn off. The light it now throws off is enough to clean light to light up half my room, which is 4m wide and 12m long. For some reason the photos I tried to take just don't do the 20 lumens justice!

How far you can see with these bulbs is another matter which is dependant on the reflector design of the torch. I have tested the bulb in several torches and results vary from a wide flooded up close to a small ring of intense light that lights up objects 30m+ away. (2C Maglite)

The other great benefit is its ridiculous battery life. 2x AA 2000mAH batteries each in D Cell adaptors give me 27 continuous hours of light. If I use 4 batteries (2 to each cell adaptor) I get double that. In other words I can go away for a week and use it for 5 hours a night and never change the batteries.

The bulbs are also rated at 20 000 hours. I have not tested this naturally but given that its 80 cents each bulb I carry a second one 'Maglite style' in the base of the unit when possible, this is handy as I can also have one on hand to upgrade other torches.

These bulbs are really good options for giving the old, the unloved, the forgotten or spare torchers/flashlights a new lease of life instead of ending their lives in trash heaps or useless storage.  Given the cheap price I bought a set of threaded types and a 2nd set of bayonets which may last me through doomsday.

I have already converted a few plastic torches for family members cars and to take on trips as spares. The torches have cost me nothing, work as well as the $5 3xAAA china jobs, are harder to lose, have a lesser upkeep (2 batteries vs 3) and easy to service being a simple circuit with a switch.
D cell units get AA adaptors, C cell types like my flashlight don't need adaptors for AA, just loosely roll up cardboard around 2 AA to the thickness of a c cell and drop it in the torch, batteries will slide out and cardboard can stay. Family members are under instructions not to throw flashlights away if they cant get them to work and every council clean ups, markets and garage sale I am keeping an eye out for new salvage.

Lumens isn't everything. In the dark these bulbs are impressive. Only when you light a bigger lumen torch at the same time do you feel like you are missing out.  Sometimes its considered polite not to blind the people camping over the next valley or illuminate your neighbours second storey bedroom when you are taking out the trash. For those tacticool smurfs types who disagree think on this. The further away you can see with your torch the further others can see you and better judge the distance inbetween. A duller light will mean the hordes of marauders you can't see will have lesser idea of how far you are away in the distant dark when you are evading zombies or boy-band concerts.  :ahhh

I have since bought the threaded 2 cell types, as well as the sellers 13.5 lumen solitaire kit. All have arrived swiftly and perform great in various torches.

The seller also does 15.3 lumen solitaire kits and 2 AA mini Maglite kits with reflectors in 18, 28 & 35 lumens. The only reason I have yet to get 35 kit is I scored a similar Nite eze kit from the USA for $3 dearer which included the tailcap switch. I don't like tailcap switches but one of my non-upgraded mini-mag had a faulty tailcap so the switch is stop gap solution for now.

To find the seller just jump on Ebay and use the 'search seller' function for Sinounionechnologyld . He has heaps of stuff and you might find his items cheaper than you can get locally.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:56:43 PM by Santos »
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Sinounionechnologyld Led Upgrades
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:09:04 PM
Very cool idea. It does give an easy way to bring the old school lite back into action. Thanks for the h eads up.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:11:27 PM
Thanks for the heads-up and review mate. :cheers:  The LEDs are a great idea, as you say they sound perfect for bringing old lights just a little more up to date. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:13:31 PM
I have a few lights I'd like to upgrade. I'll have to check these out.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:23:38 PM
Just an update, the seller now does 50 Lumen bulbs in screw-in and bayonet bases. 6 for $7.50 delivered worldwide. Marginally dearer but the light is a lot warmer (yellow tinge instead of stark white) than the 20 lumens cells. I'm trying to encourage people to keep a flashlight in their cars as most people rely on their phones. Save battery life on the phone, i say, actually see whats going on.

Every torch/flash light saved from landfill is one more around when you need it  :D
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19:07 PM
This is cool!!

I need to pull out some of my old lights...

I'll check this one out!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:38 AM
I just scoured ebay USA, but didn't find the same deals you mention, though there were bulbs similar to what you mention. However they are $0.99 + $3.50 for shipping, each.
Do you have a direct, recent link please??

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44