Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerDuo: Is there any update on quality issues

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
PowerDuo: Is there any update on quality issues
on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:25 PM
In an older thread there was considerable concern for the PowerDuo's quality. Is there any update/improvement on that topic?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: PowerDuo: Is there any update on quality issues
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:23 PM
I was wondering the same thing. :think: Maybe the winner of the giveaway can tell us. :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:23 PM
The Powerduo is the first full-size SOG I've given serious consideration to. I'm VERY interested in knowing if QC has stabilized.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 02:50:50 AM
Very good post Etherealicer ... I have been wanting to get my hands on that baby BUT I am trying to find out if there has been any new updates with the quality issues. I tried to look around the internet for new reviews but I still see the old ones with the distressingly bad build quality and akwardly placed implements (damn can opener)
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

cn Offline 465754361

• a loser which earn 10 bucks a day
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:47 PM
may i tape an link to other forum here? :whistle:the quality issue have been discussed in that forum.  it is said that PowerDuos are totally MANFACTURE IN CHINA .......I've see some image about PDs,the finishing of the plier part is well but other are suck, for more detail you can check this chinese forum out http://www.knifriend.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=292063&extra=page%3D1
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:18:09 PM by 465754361 »

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:59:43 PM
it is said that PowerDuos are totally MANFACTURE IN CHINA .......

There's nothing necessarily wrong with manufacture in China, Chinese built products can have as good a QC process as anywhere else. It just isn't always like that sadly.

Starting to read that thread through Google Translate gave me a chuckle:
SOG's PD-01 Pliers sense to start at the beginning - when the mice sad reminder
Unfortunately the rest of the thread makes about as much sense.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:03:16 PM by Cupboard »

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:59 PM

it is said that PowerDuos are totally MANFACTURE IN CHINA .......

There's nothing necessarily wrong with manufacture in China, Chinese built products can have as good a QC process as anywhere else. It just isn't always like that sadly.
As everywhere else you get exactly what you pay for.. :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:18:01 PM
The blame for the Powerduo should be placed only at SOG.

If they were not happy with the quality of the product they should not have sold it. At the price they were selling it they could have made it anywhere they wanted.

This idea of the pure and innocent company being cheated by the bad Chinese, without them noticing the problem until the product was sold is getting a bit old and used to justify every bad product sold by companies that do not really care about what they are selling. I have a few Ganzo tools and they are fine and cheap.

At the time I posted about it on SOG facebook or sent them an email and they said that they will look into it. I have not bought any more of their products nor have I heard any more from them.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19:22 PM
I tend to look at SOG in the same way as I see GERBER in the way that their offshore produced tools are a hit or miss in the area of quality control. In the case of SOG, I will really put the weight on the company's shoulders. I'm sure that the SOG Blacktip is completely manufactured in China but the fit, finish and build quality is even waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than my Powerlock, PowerAssist, PPP - or any US manufactured SOG Plier I ever got my hands on ... and as it has been mentioned it's the manufacturers that set the SLAs, Manufacturing Templates, Quality Standards followed by their subcontractors... just like in the corporate environment, the BOSS takes care of the blame and the subbordinates fix it
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:56 AM
It is an expensive tool though, so I didn't get what I paid for but on the other hand their two west marine tools i got for about the same price are awesome.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 12:44:17 AM
I see SOG is still selling them.  I've got a couple of questions for anyone who's familiar with this issue.

1.  Are the ones currently being sold as bad as the ones that first came out?
2.  Is the problem with the scales the same on the black and clear models?
3.  What's SOG doing for those that bought one and got cracked, warped or broken scales?

I've been thinking about picking up a couple, one for me and one for a friend.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:27 PM
I'm quite surprised that no one has been able to answer the question. Have we really had that much influence on spending habits, or are the new owners of these just being shy?  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 11:38:01 PM
I think it would take some pics of a good one before I ever bother buying one.  Those pics of the horrible fit up scales made me never want to even touch one.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:29:03 AM
I have been wondering about this tool.

any new news :)
Defend the Hive!!!

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:11:03 PM
I'm quite surprised that no one has been able to answer the question. Have we really had that much influence on spending habits, or are the new owners of these just being shy?  :D

You bet! i was ready to get a black one as soon as they announced and thankfully i read all the no good things being said here. To be fair in youtube there are a couple of horror videos too, so i think sog earned their bad rep on this one.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:24 PM
So, I suppose that leaves us with either ...

A) SOG hasn't fixed them, and they're all a big gamble with very poor chance of success ... or
B) SOG has fixed them but nobody has bought up all the crap ones yet, so it's still a big gamble but with a very slightly improved chance of success and no insigfht as to how good the "fixed" ones are ::)

Some of the issues were quality of manufacture (pins and scales), but of course there was also the can opener issue, which could only be fixed with a redesign ...  :-\

Personally, I'd be interested to hear what the outcome has been from SOG - but I'm certainly not prepared to part with any money to find out  :whistle: I was quite tempted to try one of their non-locking folders that came out at the same time (forgot the name) but I'm keeping well clear of all new SOGs for now till I know they've got their act together

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:52:28 AM
I haven't been really happy with a Sog tool since they started sourcing tools and tool parts in China.  And to me their designs are dated.  I was hoping the Power Duo would bring usher in a new line of tools with outside opening blades, but unfortunately their QC department seems to have dropped the ball and apparently the company is OK with that since there's been no official response to it that I've found.

The last Sog tool I bought was a Power Assist.  I find that an interesting design, but not very useful in the real world.  The Powerlock I bought before that is nice, I like being able to swap out the tools, but the steel is too soft IMO, but at least they're cheap and easy to replace.  None of them can compare in quality to the two old Sog tools I have that were made in the USA, a PPP and a Paratool.

And Leatherman is cranking out Surf, Ski and Skate tools while the quality of their main line falters.  But that's a story for another thread.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 02:02:36 AM
  I just bought one of these from Lowes Hardware. It seems like a pretty good tool. The blade is razor sharp, the pliers top notch, and I was playing around with the Phillips screw driver and it seems decent. These are just first impressions, but I like it better than the Power Pliers I had a while ago. I did not like the way you accessed the tools on the PP. Too much of a pain! I got the black one and it has a nice finish also, if that is worth anything.

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:49 AM
  I just bought one of these from Lowes Hardware. It seems like a pretty good tool. The blade is razor sharp, the pliers top notch, and I was playing around with the Phillips screw driver and it seems decent. These are just first impressions, but I like it better than the Power Pliers I had a while ago. I did not like the way you accessed the tools on the PP. Too much of a pain! I got the black one and it has a nice finish also, if that is worth anything.

Does it have a date stamp anywhere or a way to know it by the serial?

Offline mikekoz

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:00 AM

Does it have a date stamp anywhere or a way to know it by the serial?

The only stamp I see on it is a patent number.

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 05:36:48 AM
Thanks, wanted to see if it was a new stock probably improved or if you got a good one of the old stock.

pl Offline Gilliand

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:36 PM
Could you check out usefulness of a can opener? If it's fully functional it would suggest new series emerged.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:54 AM
I recently was in a knife store and since they have a large collection I asked if they have it.
The vendor went all :rant:, he then showed the two he got. One had broken scales out of the box, both had pliers that didn't close precisely and were overall not very well done. He told me he will not sell them, ever!
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 03:41:18 PM
I bought one yesterday the locks are a little stiff but it all seems fine.  But it is clearly not a strong tool like a PowerLock or even the Paratool.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 04:28:53 PM
The design is good, but the execution not so much.

Let us know if your's holds up.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:06 AM
I just ordered the BO one in a combo with the escape knife, micron2.0, there new line of flashlights with 274 lumens, and an entrenching tool, all for a 125$. Im an avid leatherman user, so it feels a little like cheating, but i figured i would give SOG a try and might as well go all in right away.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 12:45:38 AM
I just ordered the BO one in a combo with the escape knife, micron2.0, there new line of flashlights with 274 lumens, and an entrenching tool, all for a 125$. Im an avid leatherman user, so it feels a little like cheating, but i figured i would give SOG a try and might as well go all in right away.

I've got one piece of advice for you, keep the receipt and the packaging and ask that return shipping be paid once you discover what a poorly made POS it is and want to return it.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 06:20:15 AM
I have used the powerduo pretty heavily now for the last two weeks, and it seems to hold up pretty well. With the gear system you really can cut through thicker wire and smaller cables. I will always be a leatherman guy, but overall I was impressed with sog. The only downside is the lock is hard to release, hopefully it will loosen over time.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

pl Offline Gilliand

Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 12:43:43 PM
Can you confirm if problems mentioned in this thread have been resolved? I'm especially concerned about "can opener disaster".

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 06:08:32 AM
Here is a recent video review (promotion?) of the PowerDuo from Youtube.com.  I think the reviewer has mentioned in a few of his past videos that he is compensated, though he doesn't say in this video.

He opens a can of soup without a problem.  But, his soup can looks smaller than the tuna can shown in another video in which the PowerDuo's plastic handle scales interfere with the can and suffer damage.

The sheath shown has a different, wider plastic belt clip than the original.

SOG Power Duo

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:20:32 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%