Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerDuo: Is there any update on quality issues

pt Offline RamoN

Re: PowerDuo: Is there any update on quality issues
Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 03:36:35 AM
I hate this tool so much, is like falling in love with a girl you know is a wreck but you still secretely want her no matter what  :D

Still have hold myself to get one so far..........

us Offline super m

Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 01:14:40 AM
I just purchased  one  with all it's problems I still like it. 

Brüder, die Brüdern Helfen
Brothers helping Brothers

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 02:38:40 AM
Oh well, I guess I just buy one...but not before I replace my Powerlock ...itching for it to arrive in the mail
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 02:42:05 AM
Oh well, I guess I just buy one...but not before I replace my Powerlock ...itching for it to arrive in the mail

You, sir, have enough Gerbers, Case knives, etc to buy before you start playing with SOGs.....  :pok:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 05:40:20 AM
I agree. By the way I was thinking of you the other day and I ended up buying 4 slip joints. I'll post pictures in a bit

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:15 AM
I spent several hours one night working on my Power Duo. I disassembled it, smoothed up all the horrid casting and machining flaws, put some fine bronze shim stock in to get it to tighten up yet still work smoothly and I achieved a lot of good with it.

Want to know something?  It's now a smooth, tight, badly designed, poorly thought out, horridly made POS. 

It's the worst tool from a respected tool company since the Suspension.  I'd glady go back to the original Leatherman PST if my only choice was the Power Duo.  I don't know what SOG intended, but what they achieved is that I'll never, ever purchase another product with their name on it.

I'm glad that some of you like the thing, but I keep mine around as a poster child for how not to design and make a tool, and how not to promote your company and treat your customers.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 10:23:13 AM
I spent several hours one night working on my Power Duo. I disassembled it, smoothed up all the horrid casting and machining flaws, put some fine bronze shim stock in to get it to tighten up yet still work smoothly and I achieved a lot of good with it.

Want to know something?  It's now a smooth, tight, badly designed, poorly thought out, horridly made POS. 

It's the worst tool from a respected tool company since the Suspension.  I'd glady go back to the original Leatherman PST if my only choice was the Power Duo.  I don't know what SOG intended, but what they achieved is that I'll never, ever purchase another product with their name on it.

I'm glad that some of you like the thing, but I keep mine around as a poster child for how not to design and make a tool, and how not to promote your company and treat your customers.
Thanks, I was wondering if some ell-bow grease could make this good. I do like the design, but every-time I have one in my hand at a store, I find immediately something attesting to poor quality (tear in the scales, badly aligned layers etc.).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 11:37:50 AM

:rofl: :rofl: Sorry mate, but that's funny!  :D Sounds like you were trying to gold plate a turd there  ;) :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 05:19:08 AM

:rofl: :rofl: Sorry mate, but that's funny!  :D Sounds like you were trying to gold plate a turd there  ;) :D :D

Unfortunately that was exactly what I was trying to do.  I really appreciate (or used to) Sog's ability to think outside the box, the Paratool, Switchplier, ToolClip, and PowerAssist come to mind.  Even though I don't consider them as useful as a Wave or Spirit, they're different and show some real thought and a unique design.  I thought maybe if I fixed some of the most glaring errors on the PowerDuo I could appreciate it more.  Too bad it was a waste of time.

After this I'm not even sure I'd pick up a Switchplier if I found one for sale, despite having always wanted one.

Offline jdindadell

Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 08:21:24 AM
I have 2 powerduo, black and stainless.   I took the black one apart to mod, result is in the mod squad section.

Build quality and material thickness leave alot to be desired.  Overall design is poor as is the handling qualities.   End result is a bulky tool with limited functionality.   The plier heads on mine are nice but the other tools are just not up to much.  I would take a skeletool cx over this anyday.  Aside from the questionable can opener, the skeletool does everything better in a much slimmer package.

The ppp is a much better tool that uses the same size plier head.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:31 AM
I bought a Satin PowerDuo earlier from Lowes, opened up the package in parking lot, first thing I spotted are six cracks in both scales.  :o
The pliers are OK, blade has a flat spot right in the middle...fit and finish of screwdrivers, can/bottle openers reminds me those Chinese knockoffs. And the Philips driver does not lock. 

Bad!Bad!Bad! Returned it within 5 minutes of purchase. Very disappointed.

:rant:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:49:54 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 07:15:38 AM
Ok, so some of us bought them when they came out when we did not know of the issues... but, why do people keep buying them ??    ???    :facepalm:

Hope, masochism?

:D :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:39 AM
Ok, so some of us bought them when they came out when we did not know of the issues... but, why do people keep buying them ??    ???    :facepalm:

Hope, masochism?

I am new to SOG MTs, I purchase it to play with, to exam, to inspect.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:40 AM

Hope, masochism?

Do not give up on SOG, but try to get one of their powerpliers/powerlock models as they are a lot better build and proven. The pliers are really nice.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:14 AM
I am impressed by blacktip's (currently my only SOG) fit and finish, yes it is made in China just like me.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 10:11:56 AM

Hope, masochism?

Do not give up on SOG, but try to get one of their powerpliers/powerlock models as they are a lot better build and proven. The pliers are really nice.
Because its an excellent form factor and design.

I think they should reduce the pliers in size and then ask Victorinox to integrate (and produce) it in their 111mm line. I would so buy that :drool:

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 04:05:12 PM

I think they should reduce the pliers in size and then ask Victorinox to integrate (and produce) it in their 111mm line. I would so buy that :drool:

My sense of humor must be off this morning, because I'm just not getting it...

I have a B61 Powerlock, and the only thing I'd describe as good, not excellent, are the pliers. Everything else is below average to poor when compared to my Swisstool or Spirit. Even my decade old, hard used and abused, Surge is a far better tool today than my virtually new B61. I wanted to love the B61. Then I tried to like it. Now I leave it on a shelf because I would be ashamed to have someone else suffer with owning it.

I have trouble believing that Victorinox could lower their standards enough to manufacture such a poorly designed tool. And if they were allowed to redesign the flaws out, it would only have the pliers left, and they would probably be modified as well.

The design and engineering team at SOG should be held accountable by their peers for what they did and didn't do. And shame on SOG for sullying their brand name with this product.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 04:23:59 PM
It's sounding very much like the quality standard is pretty much terminal on this tool. I think we might just have to accept that the best thing about this tool is that Gerber don't look quite so bad for having produced the Suspension  :whistle: Let's face it, it's designed badly and executed far worse. I can't recall another tool from one of the big makers being so far off the mark

SOG are going to have to pull a bloody impressive rabbit out of the hat to recover credability from this one. Till then I'm sorry, but I can't take them seriously as a tool manufacturer

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:30 PM

My sense of humor must be off this morning, because I'm just not getting it...

I have a B61 Powerlock, and the only thing I'd describe as good, not excellent, are the pliers. Everything else is below average to poor when compared to my Swisstool or Spirit. Even my decade old, hard used and abused, Surge is a far better tool today than my virtually new B61. I wanted to love the B61. Then I tried to like it. Now I leave it on a shelf because I would be ashamed to have someone else suffer with owning it.

I have trouble believing that Victorinox could lower their standards enough to manufacture such a poorly designed tool. And if they were allowed to redesign the flaws out, it would only have the pliers left, and they would probably be modified as well.

The design and engineering team at SOG should be held accountable by their peers for what they did and didn't do. And shame on SOG for sullying their brand name with this product.
I think you misunderstand me.

- I like the design, I actually think its well designed (at least the pliers and the blade, not so sure about the smaller tools), just very poorly executed. Poor material, poor quality control, poor everything. That however does not make it a bad design.
- It looks almost like a 111mm only larger

Make the pliers smaller so they fit the 111mm frame, have them produced by Victorinox and incorporated in their 111mm frame.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 08:18:53 PM
I think the design is good enough to interest me to spend time carrying it for a while to find out otherwise.
But it was so poorly made it was disgusting. :dwts: 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69