Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review of the Leatherman Style PS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
on: July 16, 2013, 07:02:35 PM
Cool. Well... here's the next then, I guess.

A Great Travel Option

In a field of so many great keychain-size tools offered, why would you stop to give the Leatherman Style PS a second glance? The answer can be summed up in three letters: TSA.  This bladeless offering is a great travel option. And don’t get me wrong, it’s not a half-baked compromise tool either.

The Leatherman Style PS is constructed mostly of stainless steel, with a black fiber reinforced nylon (FRN) panel on one side. Its overall length when closed is 3” (76mm). Width is 3/4” (19mm), and thickness is 3/8” (9.5mm). Unlike its brother, the Style CS, there are no options for different colored FRN panels. Except for the plier head assembly, all tools are accessible without opening the multitool.

The tool is focused around the plier head. Like all keychain size leatherman tools, the pliers are spring loaded using cams and backsprings to give a good opening force without compromising the plier head strength. The tips of the pliers are incredibly precise, with virtually no side-to-side wiggle in the plier head. Dentitions on the pliers are fairly aggressive and well formed, giving great grip. The wire cutters are surprisingly capable, and will cut 12 gauge copper wire convincingly. In the open configuration, the ergonomics are fantastic.

On one tool handle, there is a pair of small scissors. These are on par in quality and cutting capability as those found on 58mm Victorinox knives. They will cut day-to-day items quite well, although the short length may take some time going through long sections of material. Where they may surprise you is if you find a need to cut cloth, paracord, or similar soft but bulky material. In these cases, they are excellent. I also found the scissors to be a very adequate replacement for most small blade needs. This tool came with me on a Christmas vacation, and got a workout opening taped boxes and packaging.

On the other handle, there is a combination nail file/small screwdriver, a carabiner/cap lifter, and a pair of tweezers.

The nail file is adequate, with a sort of sandpaper texturing common to most Leatherman keychain tools and the 58mm Victorinox knives. The screwdriver is a flat/Phillips. It will slot into very small flatheads (although not as small at eyeglass screws), most small Phillips screws, and larger ones up to the common #2 size. With care, it can turn screws in door hinges, but is realistically for much lighter duty tasks. The reach of the screwdriver is surprisingly good for such a small multitool.

The tweezers are set into a slot in the FRN scale. They have a slight angle to the tip, and work as expected, and on par with those of 58mm Victorinox knives.

The Carabiner clip/cap lifter makes retrieving the tool from a keyring very easy. As a caplifter, I found it somewhat awkward initially, but it works better than most keyring size multitools once you get the hang of it. While I haven’t had the issue personally, I have seen multiple reports of problems with this tool being lost from keychains. So, beware of the potential.

A less tangible point needs to be covered about the tool. I don’t think a review would be fair without noting the STYLE of the Style PS. Inspired by the Leatherman Skeletool, the Style series looks different from most of the competition. It almost looks like its from ‘THE FUTURE!”. The problem with that is that in 10 years’ time, you have to wonder if it’s going to look like it’s from ‘THE PAST”. I like the look of the tool, but I can’t say how that look will be perceived down the road.

I’ve repeatedly mentioned ‘the 58mm Victorinox knives’ as an intentional comparison through this review because the Victorinox Jetsetter series, a 58mm design, is one of the other TSA approved bladeless keychain multitools available. I personally prefer the Style PS to any version of the Jetsetter. Unless/until the TSA allows blades, your choice of multitools on your person while you travel is seriously limited. I think of the options available, the Leatherman Style PS is the best.

This tool can be purchased alone, or together with the Leatherman Hail pocket tool.

If you find that most of your small blade needs can actually be accomplished with scissors, I think the Style PS becomes a real contender for everyday carry. While it’s longer than other keychain tools, it’s very flat, so it should ride well in a pocket. The carabiner makes it quick to remove from keys, and it is incredibly light for the toolset. And yes, I have to admit, it just kind of looks cool.

Pros
   TSA Compliant
   Great pliers
   Great scissors

Cons
   No Blade
   Carabiner Issues
   No Color Options

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Re: Review of the Leatherman Style PS
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:56:48 PM
No comments? Nice review, Lynn. :cheers:
Leatherman

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:04:24 PM

It got lots of comments in its original state. This review is split off of a larger thread where members posted reviews as entries to a giveaway. But it is easier to find info on a tool this way than in a loong thread about lots of tools where the review is on page 10 or something like it. ;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:51 PM

It got lots of comments in its original state. This review is split off of a larger thread where members posted reviews as entries to a giveaway. But it is easier to find info on a tool this way than in a loong thread about lots of tools where the review is on page 10 or something like it. ;)

Even easier if it (and others) are on the main site  :pok: :P :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:15 PM

Even easier if it (and others) are on the main site  :pok: :P :D :D

Soon, my friend. :D I just poked the ones in power yesterday and it should be up very soon. :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:30:57 PM
 :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline rickboone

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:43:07 AM
I had this out last night looking at it. Mine is red. I was wondering how effective it would be if I took the file to the belt sander and profiled a blade on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:25:33 AM
Thanks all. Yeah, it got a fair amount of positive in the original thread. It'd be sweet if it made the main site. Then I'd be all  8)

On blading the file. Well, it would make it more useful as a tool, and less useful as a TSA-compliant object. If the travel friendliness doesn't matter, I'd say go for it. AND let us know how it works for you, because the folks here always love mod-stories.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 10:39:56 PM
Now posted on the Main Site:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 12:41:17 AM
I... I MADE it! Now I can start acting like the jerk I am!  :rofl:

Thanks, Grant, and all other involved admin folk. Cool to make the 'front page'.  :tu:

And long live the Style PS.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:39:05 AM
Hi, I didn't want to start a new thread so I hope this is the right place. Yesterday I got out of a taxi and noticed my Style PS was missing. Fortunately the taxi hadn't gone far and I was able to catch up and check - yes, it had dropped off in the taxi. I was keeping it on a keyring and with some fiddling I found out it comes off easily if you twist it in a certain way:

If the keyring gets into this position, and you twist the front of the keyring to the right and the back of the keyring to the left, it opens the carabiner:

The keyring slips in front of the carabiner clip and escapes. This aided by the notch in the carabiner clip - the keyring cannot do this from the side without the notch. Just want to warn people carrying this type of clips on keyrings to reconsider. Belt loops seem fine - the belt loop material is too soft to twist open the carabiner.

While I'm here, I wish the Style PS had a better file. This one cuts too slow and leaves my fingernails feeling rough.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:10 AM
Yes, that is exactly why I do not trust those carabiners.
And I see no point to have the carabiner on skeletool, mut or style ps if I don't use it.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:30 AM
This is why if I keep my PS on my keyring I loop the keyring through the bigger hole in the handle near the carabiner. It is not quick release, but I never need it to be and it is impossible for it to come off.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 07:51:08 AM
LM should add a lock on the carabiner like niteize did.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:02 AM
I might just get some S-biners and clip them to one of the holes in the Style PS. Maybe that's more secure.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 02:47:23 PM
The carabiner is extremely un-secure. I've clipped it to my key ring only to have it come loose from keys in my pocket. This happened several times. Do NOT clip anything to the carabiner you're not comfortable losing!

That aside, nice review Lynn. I think I'll stick with my Style CS however, as I don't fly.
SAW

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 03:27:45 PM
Nice review! I have noted aswell that the screwdriver on top of the file works really better than one would think by the look!
Antonio

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 03:43:16 PM
The carabiner is great, if used in a proper way.

I use my skeletool as my edc, cause it´s light and has what i need a multitool for, mostly tinkering small jobs which don´t need the use of real tools. Depending on my clothing it´s carried with it clip in a pocket or on a belt, or sometimes in a pouch. Next to never on the carabiner.

The carabiner comes to use when i´m in a position to need it stored for a short time to get the hand free, lets say on a high ladder (for example while using it for the work with cable-zip-ties), when there is no safe flat surface to put it on. Then i shortly clamp it on a cable nearby, or an upright edge of sheet-metal, or on a D-ring on my clothing, ....... Or i slip it on the sticking out end of a long bolt up to M8 or M10.

I also own a carabiner-free Freestyle, but only as a sort of pocket knife with small pliers, in my pocket when i do work around the house with my big tools nearby - it´s not nearly as versatile als it´s bigger brother.

But i assume a even smaller Style CS/PS on a keychain will be used in a different way. There i would prefer a solid ring through the holes for a safe carry/handling.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 06:42:10 AM
Now this is a "carabiner" I can trust.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 03:13:34 PM
Looks like a G3 riflesling carabiner. You wouldn´t like it that much when your head is in a cotton bag, your hands in ABC-mittens, and a drill-sergeant with a stopwatch shouts "Waffe - zerlegen und zusammensetzen ...... Jetzt!".  :rofl:

But the G3 is a great gun, very reliable. And i liked her punch much more than todays 5,56 toy guns.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:06 PM
Looks like a G3 riflesling carabiner
Yup that is correct, it is not mean to be quickly unhook, but hell it strong and dependable. I trust it to hold things I can't afford to lose. (keys, guns)

Interestingly many civilian products here in US now using exact copies of this carabiner with weaker spring.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 08:06:34 PM
I have one on my Skinth JB.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:25 PM
it is not mean to be quickly unhook,

I would have loved to see it when you travel back in time to tell THAT to my sarge.  :ahhh ;)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 09:18:15 PM
LOL I would tell him California is never cold enough to wear mittens.

us Offline txdm

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
ZOMBIE POST BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!

I just wanted to mention that if you use a USA-made Exotac Freekey with the Style PS, you wont run into the problems AaronX took the time to point out. The bigger flat surface of the Freekey system makes the Style harder to attach/detach by hand, and much much harder by itself.

Like others have said, the Style PS is a great compliment to the quality knife most of us carry, and a must-have for anyone who has to fly on airplanes often.

Only complaint I have about the Style PS is that the tweezers are useless when you have the pliers there to do the same job.

I'd also prefer they ditch the tweezers altogether, ditch the plastic bit, and find a way to incorporate a #0 cross bit... and maybe tiny LED light.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:48:23 PM by txdm »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 12:23:58 AM
   No Color Options

First of all, welcome tx.   :)

As for colors, in the two years since Lynn's fine look at the Style PS, both red and blue flavors have come and gone.  Just today I ordered a NIB blue from eBay.

us Offline txdm

Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 08:35:23 PM
Howdy PowerNoodle.

I've been using the Style PS more and more for crafts lately... it's been great for pulling and cutting twine, and threading needles.

Having dealt with prickly pear hairs, I first thought that the pliers would suffice and render the tweezers useless, but recently I found that the tiny tweezers are just right for reaching into a 1/8" headphone jack to remove some debris.

us Offline txdm

Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 08:34:37 PM
Just this week I used my Style PS screwdriver to disassemble and revive a dead Logitech trackball.

For anyone questioning the usefulness of the little flat driver on the STYLE PS... it has a longer reach than the Leatherman bit-drivers (charge etc), so it can go into tighter places. It works perfectly for the little Philips screws on gadgets like a mouse that the normal shaft-drivers (blast etc) are just a little too big for.... even my nice Wiha micro-bit-driver couldn't have reached the one middle screw that was deeply recessed in the plastic housing.

I've also found that the STYLE tweezers are in fact better for pulling splinters from beneath your fingernails than the pliers are...I hope you never experience this, but it's a part of my farming lifestyle.

I also accidentally shot an arrow through 3/4" plywood (dont ask)  and was able to use the Style PS plier to unscrew the target tip so the shaft could be removed more easily.

And as a bonus, thanks for Metroplicity... the Style pliers are fantastic for loosening the knurled bolts on larger Leatherman tools, when you get the urge to tinker.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:57:39 PM by txdm »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD