Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you recommend me an android phone to try?

de Offline Shorty66

Re: Can you recommend me an android phone to try?
Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 08:58:52 AM
I am sorry to hear that band issue with the p770. I didn't realize that.
The s3 is a marvellous phone though, have much fun with it!
T - `cause i like tea :)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
Bumping my old thread after more than a year of carrying my samsung S3.  It's been a solid phone overall, my only major gripe is battery life is not where I need it to be and I always carry a spare battery to make up for it.

Whats funny is what I want now compared to what I wanted or thought I wanted back then.  I was worried the s3 was going to be too big, now it feels too small and Im looking to upgrade to the note 4 next month.  I have large hands and the phablet size i think will work better for my big thumbs, plus I do tend to watch alot of shows on my phone when Im stuck waiting places, so bigger screen is better. 

The battery life on the note 4 is supposed to be the best of the samsung lineup too (and has a wicked fast charge rate), so that will cover all my current wants list which is now.

1.  large display
2.  long battery life
3.  replaceable battery
4.  micro sd expansion

I almost had myself convinced to just get the note 3 (new off contract price is around $400), but the upgrades on the note 4 are enough to make me just go for that and go for a 2 yr commitment on that one.  I dont feel like paying the 800 for an off contact one as that's a bit nutty.

So... we'll see how this goes.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:51:24 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 05:15:42 PM
Good Luck with it buddy, hopefully it serves you well. Let us know what you think. I have the HTC One M8 and its been wonderful, my last two HTCs have been wonderful actually. I'll never go to an iPhone
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 05:18:40 PM

Had a defy+ at some point, but i'm still using my samsung b2100.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 06:34:16 PM
I have the S5 now. I was really happy with the S3 until a software update messed it up.  I'm enjoying the S5 more than I liked the S3 when I still liked the S3, if that makes any sense. 

I was very much on the fence about the Note.   I like it very much as I love the big screen, and I thought very long and hard about getting it instead of the S5.  Yes it's big, and yes, some folks look odd talking on such a big device, but I really don't give a rat's ass about that.  For me the issue was, I have a perfectly good tablet already.   If I didn't have a tablet (or if my tablet was a 10 inch model instead of a 7 inch one) then I would have gotten the Note, no questions asked.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 07:20:09 PM
Let's hope you don't have to make too many calls.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 07:48:39 PM
That's funny.

us Offline David

Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 11:05:16 PM
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 11:51:31 PM
I have the S5 now. I was really happy with the S3 until a software update messed it up.  I'm enjoying the S5 more than I liked the S3 when I still liked the S3, if that makes any sense. 

I was very much on the fence about the Note.   I like it very much as I love the big screen, and I thought very long and hard about getting it instead of the S5.  Yes it's big, and yes, some folks look odd talking on such a big device, but I really don't give a rat's ass about that.  For me the issue was, I have a perfectly good tablet already.   If I didn't have a tablet (or if my tablet was a 10 inch model instead of a 7 inch one) then I would have gotten the Note, no questions asked.

Def

Ive got a samsung 7 inch tablet but its not something I ever carry with me out of the house.  Its pretty much my bedtime tablet to watch some netflix on.   Tablets blow away bedroom tvs if you wear glasses and are near sighted.  Dont need to wear glasses to watch a show before bed. 

My wife wants the S3 as her old phone is, well, old and crappy and pre-smart phone times.  All it does its text and she wants fancy things like mobile internet and gps.

The S5 would be a nice upgrade if I just went to that, but the bigger screen is a bonus on the tab 4, and I do like the stylus for things like text selection and editing. 

I went and played with the note 4 in the store and the size increase is not a negative at all when holding it, so the only negative is the premium cost of the thing, and the worry about breaking/losing it. 

Heres a borrowed pic showing S5 vs note 4

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:55:42 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 12:01:08 AM
In that pic the size doesn't look that different, does it?

I have to look at spreadsheets and the like at work, often in direct sunlight so a larger screen is important to me, which is why I got the tablet.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 12:24:24 AM
I had a SIII (it's III not 3 here) and apart from a couple of battery life issues while it relearned my usage profile after firmware updates it was a great phone.
I was tempted by the HTC One M8 this time but the consensus of the reviews was that the sound quality of the speakers was the only real category where the M8 came out on top.
Some may argue that the M8 looks better than the standard "white plastic" look of the S5, but aesthetics aren't that high on my list and my phones live in a case so it's that which people see.

If I cared about form over function and impressing people who don't know any better I would have got an iPhone 6 (dons flameproof suit).

The S5 is without a doubt THE best phone I have ever had and I'm just waiting for "them" to smurf it up with the rollout of lollypop.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 01:03:51 AM
I got a Samsung galaxy s5 last night. Had the s4 for about a year. I wanted the Motorola nexus 6 but it would have cost me $$ to get it on my plan. I'm happy though with my s5.  Samsung has pretty much taken up a lot of space in the stores I visit throughout the country. Samsung is like Sony was in the late 80s to 90s.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 02:34:08 AM
I don't think a pen is necessary for a phone, it's not like you are editing excel files on there. Now for a 8" windows tablet it's almost mandatory.

The only problem I have with big phone is in summer it's hard to fit one in front pants pocket and still be able to sit down. My S5 already poke me when I drive so I have to take it out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:37:22 AM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:51 AM
I had a SIII (it's III not 3 here) and apart from a couple of battery life issues while it relearned my usage profile after firmware updates it was a great phone.
I was tempted by the HTC One M8 this time but the consensus of the reviews was that the sound quality of the speakers was the only real category where the M8 came out on top.
Some may argue that the M8 looks better than the standard "white plastic" look of the S5, but aesthetics aren't that high on my list and my phones live in a case so it's that which people see.

If I cared about form over function and impressing people who don't know any better I would have got an iPhone 6 (dons flameproof suit).

The S5 is without a doubt THE best phone I have ever had and I'm just waiting for "them" to smurf it up with the rollout of lollypop.

I feel the same way about the S5.  It was a software update that smurfed up my S3 or SIII or STHREE or whatever you like to call it, and I am very concerned about it smurfing up my SCinquo.

I got a Samsung galaxy s5 last night. Had the s4 for about a year. I wanted the Motorola nexus 6 but it would have cost me $$ to get it on my plan. I'm happy though with my s5.  Samsung has pretty much taken up a lot of space in the stores I visit throughout the country. Samsung is like Sony was in the late 80s to 90s.

I'd expected better from Motorola since Google owns them.  I thought that when that happened we'd see flagship Androids from Motorola, but so far that hasn't happened.  Samsung is doing what I thought Motorola was going to do, so I'll probably stick with Samsung until something better comes along.  There's a benefit to jumping on the bandwagon and using one of the most popular phones out there.

I don't think a pen is necessary for a phone, it's not like you are editing excel files on there. Now for a 8" windows tablet it's almost mandatory.

The only problem I have with big phone is in summer it's hard to fit one in front pants pocket and still be able to sit down. My S5 already poke me when I drive so I have to take it out.

I have no issues- it slides right into the pockets of my cargo shorts without a problem, even with the Otterbox Defender.  I guess that's what you get for not carrying as much extra poundage as the rest of us.... :P

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 03:44:20 AM

I feel the same way about the S5.  It was a software update that smurfed up my S3 or SIII or STHREE or whatever you like to call it, and I am very concerned about it smurfing up my SCinquo.

So it's a good thing mine refuse to do OTA update anymore. I'm waiting for a few months after it's available to do the update, let somebody else be the guinea pigs and work out all the bugs first.  :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 03:47:20 AM
I love my Galaxy Mega for browsing, or watching videos on, but it is a little on the big side for carrying.  It's fine in cargo pants pockets, but a little much in the front pockets of jeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 03:54:42 AM
First thing to do, turn off auto update. 2nd, read reviews before manual update. Stop updating when happy with the product

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 04:15:38 AM
A lot of love for the Samsung phones here and I am sure they are very nice.

I would like to throw a wrench into the works with my fave phone ever.

The LG-G2. Stupid fast processer, beautiful large screen, 32G of built in memory and the battery lasts forever.

Oh the camera is very nice too. Been using it for all my pics over here.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 01:13:40 PM
A lot of love for the Samsung phones here and I am sure they are very nice.

I would like to throw a wrench into the works with my fave phone ever.

The LG-G2. Stupid fast processer, beautiful large screen, 32G of built in memory and the battery lasts forever.

Oh the camera is very nice too. Been using it for all my pics over here.
The oversaturation on Samsung phones bugs me a lot.

Apart from the camera on my LG E960 (Nexus 4) and the lack of sd slot I am very happy with this phone. I've seen and heard a lot of horror stories about the back glass breaking, but I guess I'm just more careful with my phone  :facepalm: Swappable battery would be nice too... but so far I've managed without.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 01:19:38 PM
I am glad for the over saturation as it means there are lots of accessories for it.

I struggled to find cases and the like for my old HTC Touch and my Motorola Atrix.  Samsung Galaxy series phones are almost as prevalent as the iPhone so there are almost as many cases and other gadgets for them as there is for iOS.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 01:30:49 PM
I mean the oversaturation of the screens... the colours are overtweaked and not realistic. I think it's become less of an issue with newer models but for a long time it seems to be what they were most famous for.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 01:42:33 PM
I liked my LG v500 8.3 tablet a lot, so when I'm going to change from the iPhone (4S) I will look at some LG. I think they all are capable nowadays, one should decide first about the dimensions and battery life.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 02:16:09 PM
I agree- phones are at the point where there's really no bad ones.  Even the Windows machines are pretty good nowadays. MS may have been late to the party but they have the resources to catch up.

As much as it pains me to say it, even BlackBerry isn't that bad.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 02:38:47 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #54 on: December 29, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
The specs of the nexus phones look great, but the 2 deal breakers for me are no micro sd and no replaceable battery.  With those requirements there isnt much option (especiallly supported in north america) besides samsung.

I dont 'need' that s pen and if there was a version without it, id buy that, but I really like the large screen of this phone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:23:47 PM by Syph007 »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: December 29, 2014, 03:42:09 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what my next phone will be... I don't have any plans to replace the nexus 4 yet, it does more than what I need as it is.

My niece replaced her Nexus 4 with a BQ Aquarius, a Spanish branded android. I have to say they have pretty good options for being a relatively cheap phone. Her Nexus 4 got dropped and broke the rear glass within the first month she owned it... (without a protective cover) then she got a cover, but I guess it was too late as she dropped it again and it died. Having no SD means everything on the phone was lost.

http://www.bq.com/gb/products/aquaris-5.html

The prices on the current 4/5 models are between 150-250 euros, cheaper than my Nexus was. I might actually consider one for my next phone.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #56 on: December 29, 2014, 03:55:23 PM
I'm not really a huge Samsung fan as I find most of their phones feel extremely cheap, but like Def said, with them being so popular, there are TONS of accessories for them. 

Now, the S5 and Note 4 seem to have had the quality stepped up some, but still not near the HTC M7, M8 or iPhones.  Also, if you use a case, the build quality really doesn't matter.

I mean the oversaturation of the screens... the colours are overtweaked and not realistic. I think it's become less of an issue with newer models but for a long time it seems to be what they were most famous for.

They are still know for that, but I don't think they do it as much as they used to, and I think you have more control over that now.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #57 on: December 29, 2014, 04:14:25 PM
I agree- phones are at the point where there's really no bad ones.  Even the Windows machines are pretty good nowadays. MS may have been late to the party but they have the resources to catch up.

Def

I'm stuck with Blackberry, as it's the only "smart" phone system that I'm prepared to carry. They're not the best phones in the world, but I just don't trust the others one iota. If I ever lose trust in BB, I'll have to go back to the old fashioned basic type

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #58 on: December 29, 2014, 04:18:56 PM

Def

I'm stuck with Blackberry, as it's the only "smart" phone system that I'm prepared to carry. They're not the best phones in the world, but I just don't trust the others one iota. If I ever lose trust in BB, I'll have to go back to the old fashioned basic type

Have you tried their Passport model?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #59 on: December 29, 2014, 04:50:26 PM

Def

Have you tried their Passport model?

No. I have a work one and a personal one. I think the personal one is a Bold 9790, and I think the work one is a Q5

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD