Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The multitool of the automotive world!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
The multitool of the automotive world!
on: August 15, 2013, 09:43:40 PM
This is probably pretty sad, but I'm a bit excited about it anyway- this is my new (to me) utility trailer.

I realize it's not new or exciting, flashy or special, but I have been after a reasonably priced, decent trailer for some time now, and the guy across the street mentioned he may be selling his.  We got to talking, and long story short, it's now mine!  :D

The deck doesn't tilt, but the tongue does so that the whole trailer can tilt, achieving the same thing.  The back fence also folds down- the previous owner used it for his motorcycle, which he recently sold as well, which is actually how we started talking about the trailer in the first place.

Now all I need to do is get a hitch installed on the new Jeep- the old one has the receiver but no ball, and it doesn't have a plate on it at the moment, so that's really no good to me unless I want to drive it around in the yard!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: The multitool of the automotive world!
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:55:05 PM
That's a nice looking little trailer you picked up.  :tu:

I've been wanting to buy one for sometime now as every time I need to borrow my fathers, it either has garbage in it, or something electrical isn't working.

Oh, and think of how many spare parts you'll be able to take on the trails now!!  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:01:43 PM
The dogs will love it def  :D  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:28 PM
Soooooo what do you plan on using it for?
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:18:35 PM

I've been wanting to buy one for sometime now as every time I need to borrow my fathers, it either has garbage in it, or something electrical isn't working.

Oh, and think of how many spare parts you'll be able to take on the trails now!!  :D

You are welcome to borrow mine any time Derek, although it might be a little less convenient to come into town to get it!

As I said in Facebook, not everyone needs a utility trailer, but just about everyone needs a friend who has one!  I imagine I'm going to get very popular!

As for what I'm going to use it for, well I own a small apartment building so I'll be hauling lumber, drywall, plywood and the odd appliance.  Pretty well anything that needs hauling that I can't put in or don't want to put in the Jeep.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:29:50 PM
Right now I own a F150 but when I get my new Wrangler I'm sure I'll miss the pickup bed and certainly need one of those.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:25 PM
That's exactly why I wanted one.  I figured this was the best of both worlds since I didn't want a pickup truck. There are times when that big bed comes in handy though!

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:52:25 AM

You are welcome to borrow mine any time Derek, although it might be a little less convenient to come into town to get it!

As I said in Facebook, not everyone needs a utility trailer, but just about everyone needs a friend who has one!  I imagine I'm going to get very popular!

As for what I'm going to use it for, well I own a small apartment building so I'll be hauling lumber, drywall, plywood and the odd appliance.  Pretty well anything that needs hauling that I can't put in or don't want to put in the Jeep.

Def

Thanks, I appreciate that!

You will definitely become more popular. I always use to get asked if I could borrow my father's trailer to help someone move something. I'd uselessly get beer out of it though, so it wasn't all bad :D

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 4

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:37:41 AM
That's one of the reasons I don't want a pickup truck- I'd have to put those stickers all over it that say "Yes it's my truck, and no I won't help you move."

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:17:21 AM
I actually considered pickup an an option after I get rid of my jeep since cargo space is nice, but having to help people move sure is an downside I've never thought about!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 12:42:21 AM
Thread necro!

I finally got a hitch receiver and wiring harness for my JK.  This poor little trailer has been sitting there doing nothing since I brought it home last summer, and it will probably continue to sit there until the weather warms up and I have a chance to install my hitch receiver.

Now I have to work on a way to clamp a set of cross bars on the top rails of the trailer so I can put my kayak J racks on it, as that is probably how it is going to be used most of all.  You'd be amazed at how badly your fuel economy is affected by a few kayaks on the roof:

I figure putting them on the trailer tucked in behind the slipstream of the Jeep will make a big difference, plus I won't have to lift it as high at the end of the day, which is also important because kayaks are always super heavy on the way home!  :P

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 02:15:45 AM
where's the pink one?  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:59 AM
I swear I don't know what you are talking about...  :think:

:P

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:00:47 PM

When I had my Honda Fit before I bought the Mazda 5, I told Mrs. TJ that a hitch and a utility trailer was the solution for my cargo ability instead of getting another vehicle.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:41 PM
I am truly shocked and amazed at the popularity and "prices" of cargo/utility trailers!

they are like gold sometimes, few weeks ago here in Oregon the news had a story about some crooks stealing them right out of people's yards! so popular  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:22 PM
Around here there are no serial numbers or anything on a utility trailer which means anyone can take it, claim they built it, put their own plate on it and it is officially theirs and there isn't much you can do about it.

Of course, to get mine you'd need to come into my yard, maneuver it around several other cars, up a small but steep embankment, over the sidewalk and onto the road, in full view of pretty well everyone in the neighborhood, all without alarming one of three large dogs in the house.

And, this summer I'll probably put a lock of some kind on it, probably chain it to the fence or put one of those tongue locks on it.  Either way, there are a lot easier scores than mine, so I feel pretty safe.  :D

Def

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 11:19:39 AM
Round here hitch locks and wheel locks (like if you've parked somewhere naughty and got clamped?) are quite popular.

My dad's horse trailer's anti theft device is the brakes sticking on and requiring a sledgehammer to free off  :facepalm:

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 11:59:34 AM
My dad's trailer security is a combination of both methods: The Hammer Break™ and a lock in the hitch that is uncomfortable to reach and open with a key, I wonder what pain you would endure with a lockpick.

Very useful, those 'little' trailers!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 02:21:58 PM
This is my trailer security system.  :D

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:12 AM
Note to self, bring steak and dog treats when stealing Grant's trailer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 11:45:20 AM
It'll cost you more in gas to get here than the trailer is worth!  :P

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 02:56:05 PM
And I don't have a trailer hitch, wonder if bungee cords are going to hold.  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 03:06:31 PM
I have a hitch on my TJ but not on the JK. I don't have a plate on the TJ, nor do I have the wiring harness for the lights. 

I've now got all the wiring I need for both, I just need some decent weather to install all of it!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 03:34:45 PM
Are you going with a hitch bar to the frame or a bumper with built in hitch?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:08 PM
I just have the Rugged Ridge basic hitch now that bolts under the existing bumper but eventually I will be getting a better steel bumper with hitch and tire carrier.

The basic one is more than capable of handling my utility trailer so that's the priority at the moment.  When I start looking at campers again I'll look at weight distribution setups.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 06:09:26 PM
On TJ? if it only attaches to the bumper you might need a frame tie in, since the bumper is only attached to frame by two thin steel tabs. Not sure how the bumper on JK works.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 08:58:25 PM
No the TJ has a whole setup.  The JK apparently has something just forward of the rear bumper to attach to.  I haven't been under it to look yet due to the weather, but that's what the pictures in the instructions show.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 04:38:21 AM
Nice, they even made it doable from factory. Sure is night and day compare to TJ, at least it rides like a car instead of like a tractor with bad suspension.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 03:49:05 PM
Thread necro!

I finally got a hitch receiver and wiring harness for my JK.  This poor little trailer has been sitting there doing nothing since I brought it home last summer, and it will probably continue to sit there until the weather warms up and I have a chance to install my hitch receiver.

Now I have to work on a way to clamp a set of cross bars on the top rails of the trailer so I can put my kayak J racks on it, as that is probably how it is going to be used most of all.  You'd be amazed at how badly your fuel economy is affected by a few kayaks on the roof:

(Image removed from quote.)

I figure putting them on the trailer tucked in behind the slipstream of the Jeep will make a big difference, plus I won't have to lift it as high at the end of the day, which is also important because kayaks are always super heavy on the way home!  :P

Def

So... I can't stop wondering, are you just a master of photoshop, or don't you have front number plates in Canada?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
No front plates in Nova Scotia, but it varies by province.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%