Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The multitool of the automotive world!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The multitool of the automotive world!
Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23:38 PM
Nova Scotia and Quebec are the only two provinces in Canada that don't require a front plate.  You can get a front plate if you like here, but as it costs extra most folks don't bother. 

Nice, they even made it doable from factory. Sure is night and day compare to TJ, at least it rides like a car instead of like a tractor with bad suspension.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :D

I really like my TJ.  Every time I get behind the wheel of that thing I'm reminded of just how much fun it is to drive, and I can't wait to get it back on the road again.  It's nice to have an alternative though, as that suspension can really wear you out on long drives!   :ahhh

Still, if I had to choose one or the other, it would be a very hard decision indeed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 05:10:19 PM
Today I installed the hitch receiver on my JKU.  Sure it's February and I had to do the work in my driveway, but it's +10C here today and the sun is shining- I won't have a better opportunity to do it until spring, so I did it today.  After all, it will only take a few minutes right?  It's only four bolts.... :whistle:

The main problem arose when I noticed just how little space I had to work with.

As you can see, the space between the cross member that I had to work in was just marginally wider than the nuts I had to use to secure it, and I had to put a washer under the nut.  Luckily there's a small cutout inside the bumper, but it isn't easy to reach it in the first place.  I have pretty slender hands, but even my fingers were too large to fit up in there.

I realize these are some odd angles, but bear in mind I am lying on my back under the truck in the driveway.  If you know how a hitch receiver works you shouldn't have any problems figuring out the odd angle.

I tried balancing the nut in the jaws of a wrench and carefully sliding it up inside, but that really didn't work- I ended up knocking the washer off and having to start again, so something else had to be done.

I ended up using a telescoping magnet doodad used for picking up dropped screws to reach in and hook the washer on the bolt, then following it with the nut.  If I was careful I could manage it without the magnet taking the washer off when I lifted the nut into place, and it allowed me to position the nut more carefully than I would have been able to by balancing it in the jaw of a wrench.  It wasn't an ideal solution, but it was the only one I had available to me that worked, so I went with it.  :D

Once all four bolts were tightened (and I mean really tightened!) it was time to install the wiring harness.

This was the easy part, just unscrew the driver's side tail light, unplug the connector, plug the harness in then feed the wiring down through the body until it comes out underneath.

Note the extra wire (white one) that leads to the flashers we installed last year.

Then just simply run it under and attach it to the hitch itself so that it's handy to plug the trailer into and done!

So maybe it wasn't the most difficult mechanical job ever done, but it did take a lot longer to do than I'd initially planned as I didn't realize there was so little room for the nuts.  It would have taken all of about twenty minutes to do had there been an inch or an inch and a half of space to work in, but I think it went well enough.  All in all I think it took about an hour- I wasn't timing myself and it wasn't a race, so no big deal.

Still, it always feels good to get your hands dirty and getting something done!  Now all I need is to get a ball and have my trailer inspected and it'll be ready for the road.  Then I will need to get some practice in backing a trailer up, as that is something I haven't done much of in my life, and I could really use some practice.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 05:19:35 PM
I hate when there's not much room to maneuver your nuts!  That is a bloody tight fit eh!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 05:25:45 PM
I hate when there's not much room to maneuver your nuts!  That is a bloody tight fit eh!

:D

Seriously, yes, it is a huge pain in the butt.  I have to wonder if the mechanics that install these kinds of things on a regular basis have some kind of jig they use, because this was a major pain in the arse.

I was very tempted to take the whole bumper off to install it, or just say to heck with it and pay a mechanic to deal with it.   :ahhh

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 01:50:15 AM
I would have been tempted to use a small dab of superglue to temporarily attach the washer to the nut, then use a Schrade ST6 (long nose locking plier MT) to firmly hold the nut (and attached washer) exactly where I wanted it.  Unless the nut was too far in for the ST6 to reach.

You should always look for an excuse to involve an MT or SAK on any job described on MTo, you should know that  :pok:

Nice photo how-to BTW.  I find it satisfying to work out how to do something myself, especially if it gets a bit fiddly or tricky, because I know not all tradesman will take care to do a thoroughly good job like I try to.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:57 AM
Nice photo how-to BTW. 

yeah very nice play by play shots! :salute:

it was like I was there Grant, stuck under your jeep swearing too! :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 10:41:03 AM

Nice, they even made it doable from factory. Sure is night and day compare to TJ, at least it rides like a car instead of like a tractor with bad suspension.

I really like my TJ.  Every time I get behind the wheel of that thing I'm reminded of just how much fun it is to drive, and I can't wait to get it back on the road again.  It's nice to have an alternative though, as that suspension can really wear you out on long drives!   :ahhh

I thought it was okay too when I bought it, but now that I'm getting older, feeling like I'm driving through Rubicon trail on roads that barely felt in a civic just isn't as appealing anymore.  :ahhh

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 12:25:01 PM
Damn, using superglue is a great idea!  I'll have to remember that in case I'm ever in an equally crappy situation.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 12:54:55 PM
I would have been tempted to use a small dab of superglue to temporarily attach the washer to the nut, then use a Schrade ST6 (long nose locking plier MT) to firmly hold the nut (and attached washer) exactly where I wanted it.  Unless the nut was too far in for the ST6 to reach.

You should always look for an excuse to involve an MT or SAK on any job described on MTo, you should know that  :pok:

Nice photo how-to BTW.  I find it satisfying to work out how to do something myself, especially if it gets a bit fiddly or tricky, because I know not all tradesman will take care to do a thoroughly good job like I try to.

It was about an inch to an inch and a half in, and there wasn't room for both the washer and the nut to go in at the same time.  Once you got in a little ways it opened up a little bit more so you could get the nut on the end of the bolt, but you couldn't put the washer and the nut in at the same time.  I'm not sure the ST5 would have made it either, but the superglue combined with my initial wrench idea probably would have worked.  Of course, I don't usually keep superglue around as it tends to dry out from one use to the next.

I thought it was okay too when I bought it, but now that I'm getting older, feeling like I'm driving through Rubicon trail on roads that barely felt in a civic just isn't as appealing anymore.  :ahhh

If you saw the roads in my neighborhood right now you'd be thankful for the rough ride in the Jeep, as your Civic would probably bottom out or worse.  This is a picture I took last month, and it's gotten worse since then.

That curb you see in the top right corner is the one surrounding my house.  I'll see if I can get a better shot for you later, but you get the idea- a sturdy truck is a much better drive here than a car.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 01:03:08 PM
Our roads are a bloody disaster right now!  I'd hate to think how many people have blown tires and bent rims around here.  There are some potholes that would probably make our Jeeps disappear, never to be seen again.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:41 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean.  My boss' wife blew out and destroyed a rim on their Jag last month, and those rims are worth more than I have paid for many entire cars I have owned.   :ahhh

While I'm not exactly scared to take my VW out (I did yesterday) there are some very nasty holes around here and I would much rather deal with them easily in the Jeep than have to swerve around them in the VW.  I still try to avoid them in the Jeep, but it's just not as much of a concern in it.  This is a large part of why I prefer a solid front axle in a truck.  Yes the ride quality may suffer a bit, but every year I see cars and SUV's in intersections with the front end only held off the ground by the front tire being wedged into the fender, and I would really prefer that wasn't me.  I just don't trust independent front suspension in that level of punishment, especially in SUV's, which have a lot more mass than a car and hit potholes that much harder.  In order to achieve the same strength ratio as a car, an SUV that weighs twice as much has to have a front end that is four times as strong as that of the car, and I really don't believe they are that strong. 

People call me paranoid, but you hit holes like that on a fairly regular basis, at certain speeds and I think it's just a matter of time that you lose a wheel. 

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 04:33:51 PM
Latest photo of my road.   For some reason it is rotated again.  Stupid Tapatalk. ...

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

uploadfromtaptalk1393255989215.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1393255989215.jpg (Filesize: 95.96 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:16 PM
Or maybe not. 

Here is the completed look of the receiver install.

Def

uploadfromtaptalk1393256109852.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1393256109852.jpg (Filesize: 95.02 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:51 PM
And a close up.

Def

uploadfromtaptalk1393256145503.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1393256145503.jpg (Filesize: 67.51 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 04:43:15 PM
Looks good!  I like how it's pretty well hidden, unlike mine that sticks out like a sore thumb!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 05:52:23 PM
Yeah well it will be a lot more obvious once there's a ball on it.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:40 PM
People do tend to notice balls on a rear end don't they. :whistle:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:09 AM
Latest photo of my road.   For some reason it is rotated again.  Stupid Tapatalk. ...

Def

Damn, that is bad, I guess you have those city workers spending more time in coffee shop than filling potholes too eh?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:01 AM
Looks that way.  If I come from the other way (in the distance in that photo) I can get the VW in the narrow gap between pothole and curb without hitting any.  Coming from the direction the photo was taken from there's no chance- I have to take the car through it.  Very slowly.  Some are deep enough that there's potential to bottom out, even at low speeds.

This is why I like my Jeep.  By the time I come across a pothole big enough to affect it, it's probably already been filled in by the wreckage from smaller cars.   >:D

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:47 PM
If I recall, your place is on the left next to the road sign, right?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 12:51:29 AM
Yes, that's me, although we have moved into the middle unit since you were here.  We were in the lower one, but my wife wanted more space so when one was available we moved upstairs.

That means I have to turn up the side street to get home, which means driving through that mess.   :ahhh

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 03:46:44 AM
So, figure it'll take them 4 months to fix it, then crumble again after 5 months?  :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:34 AM
I've noticed some particularly awful sections of road here as well on some of my regular routes. And I'm not in a Jeep  :ahhh
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:42 AM
So, figure it'll take them 4 months to fix it, then crumble again after 5 months?  :D

That section of road is always bad, but not usually this bad.  It seems like they fix it every year.  I think it's a drainage problem- it is the joint between two roads, with the side road going uphill.  The water comes down the side road, hits the main road and kind of stops, seeping into any small cracks where it freezes in the winter and pushes up the asphalt.  It doesn't help that the buses run over that section every half hour and that it's a popular spot for people to turn around.

The city apparently acknowledges that there is a hazard there, and has put up a sign warning people it's there.  Personally I believe if someone doesn't see a series of bad road like that ahead of them they deserve to have the underside of their car ripped out. 

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 11:51:59 AM
The salt you have probably plays a big part too, look how rusty your frame is already!

My friend who moved to NZ tells me even 20 years old cars there are pretty much rust free.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:41 AM
Yeah, very likely.  I've posted pictures before of how brake discs on brand new cars show significant rust within 24 hours here.   :ahhh

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 12:01:42 PM
I saw something about that on one of the auto programs I watch... maybe wheeler dealers?

Seems it's normal for the discs to have surface rust within 24h of not being used, so a car that sits for a while is completely covered  :ahhh but a quick trip around the block and it's all cleared up :D
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 12:28:46 PM
Yes, it is normal, just we end up getting a lot more rust here than many other places.  Within 24 hours the entire disc can be orange here, while in most places you just start getting spots.

The joys of living near the ocean.... :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
As of this morning my trailer is finally mine and legal.  To make this happen it has now more than doubled the initial cost of buying the trailer, but it's all done finally.

Unfortunately I can't finish my kayak rack for a few days yet as a friend of mine has already borrowed it.

It's true - not everyone needs a utility trailer but everyone needs a friend with a utility trailer!

Def

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 09:37:24 PM
If you're a trailer reversing novice, you'll find it easier to start with your TJ because it's got a shorter wheelbase so you'll get a better lock when you cock it up. Also, if you can't see your trailer in your mirrors, fits some deely-boppers to it so you have something to aim for. Finally, if you're trying to go backwards set yourself up going the correct direction forwards first. It's much easier to do minor adjustments than to have to start by un-jacknifing the whole arrangement.

My trailer reversing skills still aren't great (much to the amusement of everyone else at work) but they're substantially improved over two years ago. I can now happily reverse back along a road and usually get a trailer round in one shunt so long as no one is watching  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%