Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fish scaler in 84mm frame?

kahyja · 32 · 3991

ca Offline kahyja

Fish scaler in 84mm frame?
on: September 02, 2013, 01:09:34 AM
Someone already done that? I would like to get some insights.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fish scaler in 84mm frame?
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:19:35 PM
I don't think I've seen it but I'm sure it could be done. You would either have to reduce the hole size of the pivot on the scaler or enlarge the rest of the holes on that side (probably better to enlarge) then cut down the length of the scaler and reprofile. Yes it is possible :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:21 AM
I don't think I've seen it but I'm sure it could be done. You would either have to reduce the hole size of the pivot on the scaler or enlarge the rest of the holes on that side (probably better to enlarge) then cut down the length of the scaler and reprofile. Yes it is possible :)

I tought about the same for reprofiling it but I don't already have the fishscaler....I wonder if I could reprofile the tool from the back (and drill a new 84mm hole in) to keep the scaler intact.

I also prefer to stay with 84mm pins/bushing because I will maybe :think: reuse the original recruit red scales. I could peen some metal in the 91mm tool hole and redrill a smaller hole for the 84mm pins if I don't reprofile this part of the fishscaler.

Don't know much which spring to take....only that I need flush backspring and that 84mm scissors or saw spring(that should be the best one) are out of budget, and I already have 2 recruits.

This is getting complicated as I don't already have all the parts and there is no ''how-to'' for this mod but I really want to give it a try.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:57:51 AM
Do you need the ruler on it? If not, you may try the wenger scaler. It's designed for the 85mm Wenger frame. Should be excellent for 84mm (like the saw or metal file).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:59:11 AM by HankSolon »

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:16 AM

Do you need the ruler on it? If not, you may try the wenger scaler. It's designed for the 85mm Wenger frame. Should be excellent for 84mm (like the saw or metal file).
Excellent idea! I didn't even think of that

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:15:58 AM

Yes nice idea but I really like the vic one...it reminds me the first knife my father gave me :)

Didn't advance much on the project...any fishscaler removed from knife somewhere that need a new home :pok:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:21 AM
Try contacting Syph007, he tears apart Champs on a regular basis and i have yet to see a fishscaler show up in one of his builds (Wait, i guess there was one...) - He should have enough to bury you in...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:50:34 AM
I have at least 10 or more.   Pm me if you want a couple.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:15 AM
Try contacting Syph007, he tears apart Champs on a regular basis and i have yet to see a fishscaler show up in one of his builds (Wait, i guess there was one...) - He should have enough to bury you in...
Thanks, will do ;)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:42:19 AM
I have at least 10 or more.   Pm me if you want a couple.

I´d bet a Spartan it´s more...  :D

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 02:59:44 PM
Fishscaler w spring is coming from Syph007 soon  :cheers:

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 10:35:26 PM
I worked a bit on this project this weekend, and it will work :D

I still need to grind the over metal on the spring and polish the parts. I have also a special liner I want to put on it (and guess what, it is in some way related to the fishscaler, the reason I really wanted to add this tool in the 84mm frame).

I am still not sure for the scales. Wood/stag/cellidor/nylon?? Apparent rivets or not??

Anyway, here is the pic of the work to date:

Btw, it is a lot of work to make the adjustments and all to have good snap and working smooth...thanks guys for the help on this :cheers:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:35:07 PM
Looking great!

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:54 AM
I am still not sure for the scales. Wood/stag/cellidor/nylon?? Apparent rivets or not??

There are several advantages of exposed (apparent) rivets.
If you assemble and pin the knife in advance (without exposed rivets), it may be a nice choice. But you have to be very exact, when making a custom scale. Every hole for the pin and (what's the english name of that pin ring) has to be drilled very good if you want to avoid glueing (although glueing in that case is the best choice). A plus scale making that way is a pain in the ass.
Using the technique with exposed rivets, however gives you the advantage of glueing a rather raw scale (with space for the plus tool) to a liner, which can be treated after that without (!!!) getting some dust into the assembled knife.
But the best advantage of exposed rivets is the ability of reassembling the knife without destroying the custom scale. You can simply drill the pins (carefully of course) and take the scales of.
There is one disadvantage of course:
If you like an embedded shield, exposed rivets (especially the fourth pin), won't make it look very nice. A hidden 4th pin however is very difficult to achieve. I'm currenty evaluating the possibilities for my 84mm climber with LNF.
Pinning of exposed rivets (either with mushroom head above the scale or embedded rivets) is no fun. You may easily damaged the prepared scale (cracks and scratches).

TLDR:
Exposed rivets pros:
- still serviceable
- little easier scale manufacturing
- no pollution of the knife when finishing the scale

Exposed rivets cons:
- shield won't look good
- last step of the process (pinning) may harm your scales

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:00 AM
Wow, awesome info HankSolon!

I did not had time to work more on the 84mm project but I got some Moose stag from a friend and already got my hand at some 58mm deer stag work lately....but keeping the original nylon scales would make a more ''Swiss knife'' look.
I also want to call this mod a ''Pêcheur''(fisherman) because I am from Québec(and French) and if so, it would look nice in stag beside my ''Archer''(old stag huntsman).
I have a dilemma :-\

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 04:36:11 PM
So I will keep the original nylon scales from the recruit(driver model in fact).

Here is my custom 84mm Victorinox Pêcheur finally ready for assembly....

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 04:41:11 PM
Wait a minute: Firesteel? Did I miss something?  :drool:

Where did you get it?

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 04:31:57 AM
Wait a minute: Firesteel? Did I miss something?  :drool:

Where did you get it?
Directly from Switzerland, this is made by the guy who did the ones for the firesteel farmer.
Thanks to a member from here, I was able to get one a couple months ago and I'm really glad I did. That is the hearth piece of this knife and the reason I so much want to get a fishscaler fit in the 84mm frame. It's a nice fishing theme knife  :cheers:

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 11:19:21 AM
It really makes me think about an own Firesteel. But with backlayer tools it doesn't make any sense. It will harm the usability of corkscrew and reamer for intance.

A 111mm knife with firesteel would be something to think about... Would be a nice enhancement for my hunter... but where to attach it? (I have a custom 111mm 4-layer hunter with 4 backtools)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 12:32:30 PM
It really makes me think about an own Firesteel. But with backlayer tools it doesn't make any sense. It will harm the usability of corkscrew and reamer for intance.

A 111mm knife with firesteel would be something to think about... Would be a nice enhancement for my hunter... but where to attach it? (I have a custom 111mm 4-layer hunter with 4 backtools)
I've never seen the appeal of those firesteels either to be honest. I think the key ring would be a far more practical solution for putting fire lighting on a SAK ... attach an Exotac Nonostriker instead of a lanyard  :P :D :D

However, I would never let practicality stand in the way of someone else's modding or collecting pleasures  :salute: :cheers:  :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 12:39:57 PM

I've never seen the appeal of those firesteels either to be honest. I think the key ring would be a far more practical solution for putting fire lighting on a SAK ... attach an Exotac Nonostriker instead of a lanyard  :P :D :D

However, I would never let practicality stand in the way of someone else's modding or collecting pleasures  :salute: :cheers: :D :D

Nono striker? That doesn't give much confidence...  :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:48 PM
It's like having an additional nailfile for a SAK without a file. Shure it would be more practical. But it's not as cool. It's all about having all tools together need on one SAK!  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 01:25:24 PM

However, I would never let practicality stand in the way of someone else's modding or collecting pleasures  :salute: :cheers: :D :D

Nono striker? That doesn't give much confidence...  :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:oops: :P

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:39 AM

However, I would never let practicality stand in the way of someone else's modding or collecting pleasures  :salute: :cheers:  :D :D

I see your point. Even more, those firesteels are the old kind and need a flint and much technique to actually made a spark and fire out of it, not really practical like you said. But I am really proud of it and the fact there is not much of those 84mm steels around.

However, suppose that I were out in the wild for a long time, I would see some advantages of this setup...no need to worry about losing that little thing attached to the knife and be reassure by knowing that this method of making fire with a flint was used for hundred years before all the technology.That being said, I would be in great problem out in the wild with such a steel cause I didn't even succeed in making a fire with my mishmetal firesteel ::)

Of course, that little knife will go straight in the collection and will probably never see a spark  ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:21:42 PM

I see your point. Even more, those firesteels are the old kind and need a flint and much technique to actually made a spark and fire out of it, not really practical like you said. But I am really proud of it and the fact there is not much of those 84mm steels around.

However, suppose that I were out in the wild for a long time, I would see some advantages of this setup...no need to worry about losing that little thing attached to the knife and be reassure by knowing that this method of making fire with a flint was used for hundred years before all the technology.That being said, I would be in great problem out in the wild with such a steel cause I didn't even succeed in making a fire with my mishmetal firesteel ::)

Of course, that little knife will go straight in the collection and will probably never see a spark  ;)

:tu: :D :D

I remember a few years ago I was taught by a former member of the UK Special Forces that if you need to resort to fire by friction or flint and steel, you're already in a mess  :D Butane lighters and mischmetal firesteel all the way  :D :D

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 06:36:34 PM
Zombie thread!!

Finally got around finishing this project and another 84mm project. The birdeye maple with leather spacer I don't like much because of the poor peening job on it, will probably use the parts for another project.

So here the pics!!

//i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/kahyja/DSCN4613.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:16 PM
Fantastic to see you got the fishscaler on there so cleanly! 

:tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 07:33:57 PM
Thank you Syph for helping me out with the parts and your ideas!!
 :cheers:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 08:45:39 PM
That's a great job adding that fishscaler!

us Offline nj2656

Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 03:15:22 PM
I like the idea of the leather spacer. If you use a very fine grit sand paper to clean up the edge then dress it(use wax or a specific leather edge dressing) then burnish it with something smooth it should look great. Guys that build muszleloaders use a product called aquafortis, not sure if I spelled it right, that makes the grain really pop in curly maple. Should work on the birds eye too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%