Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)

J-sews · 106 · 17171

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)
on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:01 AM
I've had my MP1 for over a month now and am duly impressed. Not to be overly dramatic here, but this may well be the best multitool Gerber has ever produced. And by "best" I mean the most useable and the most functional, the tool that you would prefer to carry with you instead of other tools. As regards quality of construction, I know 21productionz had some serious problems with his, but perhaps this was a fluke or an early teething problem with assembly, because mine is flawless.

But enough singing of praises, let's talk about the details. The MP1 is basically a Leatherman Wave-style tool with folding handles and all outside-opening / one-hand-opening / locking blades.

bottom

The blades lock open via Gerber's tried and true slider-bar system. (now referred to by Gerber as the Wedge lock) It's the same method we've seen on their MP600 and MP400 tools for over ten years now. Only on the MP1, the sliders are made of steel, instead of plastic.

And none of the blades clump together when you open them, thanks to those little tabbed washers between each blade, something else that Gerber perfected a long time ago.

There are G10 nylon scales sandwiched onto the handles, and they have been machine contoured into a comfortable shape. They are "grippy" where they need to be, and have rounded edges in all the right places. This tool is not going to slip through your greasy fingers.

According to Gerber's website, the plier head is made from a forged carbon steel, instead of investment cast stainless steel like all other multitool pliers. Theoretically this should make them a lot tougher, as forged carbon steel is what regular mechanic's pliers have been made out of for decades. I used mine to cut up a length of coat hanger with no problems. More use and abuse will show if these pliers are as good as Gerber claims them to be.

The MP1 has two "long" blades stationed outboard of where the plier head folds up. One is a plain edge knife blade, and the other is a serrated knife blade. Both can be flicked open with one thumb and lock into place. When you are finished cutting, both can be unlocked and re-folded, again using just one hand. (note though that the plain edge blade is "one-handed" using the right hand, while the serrated blade requires you to use your left hand) 

plain edge blade, right hand

serrated blade, left hand

Also on the "right hand" side is this razor sharp scraper blade, and a combination bottle opener / prybar tool.

scraper blade

pry bar tool

The pry bar tool is really quite clever, having an angled tip to allow it to get under and lift up on whatever it is you are prying on. You can see how thick it is and the way the tip angles in this side view:

For screwdrivers, the MP1 packs a large straight blade, a small straight blade, and this magnetic bit driver which comes with a #2 Phillips bit. None of them suffer from the too short & stubby issues oftentimes seen on other Gerber tools.

All three screwdrivers, and especially the bit driver, can easily be opened, locked, unlocked, and closed again using just one hand. (the left hand, to be specific)

Like I say, I've been using my MP1 pretty steadily for the past month, and it hasn't let me down. So what don't I like about it? :think: Well, I would prefer it also had a scissors and a file. :-\ But in order to do so they would have to add on another entire "layer", making the whole tool thicker. And I like how it feels in my hand right now, so let's leave off the file and the scissors. :salute:

Also the pliers are spring loaded, which is just something I've never cared for. I don't hate spring loaded pliers mind you, I just do not prefer them.

But other than that I'm pretty happy with my MP1 :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:18:20 AM
I can honestly say, this is the first Gerber I've been seriously tempted to actually buy. I might have to see if I can't find a place to handle one. Not having scissors is a big speed bump however.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:34:59 AM
Beautiful. I need to get one of these.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:35:50 AM
Good review Bob! It would be nice to have a file. That bit driver looks good. While I've never had the bit driver on a Wave or Charge fail. They do not inspire much confidence in me. Glad to see the scraper pry bar also.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:47:58 AM
Another fine review mate :)

I agree its pointless having two blades IMO, much better switch the serrated knife for a file :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:24:44 AM
great review mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:39:05 AM
Thanks for the review.
As much as I nag everyone here by telling over and over aagin how much i like my MP 600, this looks well thought out.
Forged pliers are a big plus, although I´d like a bluntnosed version, but that is just personalö preference based on my user profile.
From my experience wit hthe swiss tool and spirit, I´d say a prying tool and a scraper/chisel come in quite handy at times.
As for the 2 blades, I´d go for teh file instead, too. Maybe a Diaamond/metal file combo with hacksaw edge?

Last question: What was teh street (or, i assume, online) price for this nice Toy?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:06:29 PM
The more I look at these photos, the more I want one.   :drool:

The only concern I have is regarding the bent shaft on the screwdriver- I am paranoid about screwdrivers that aren't inline, and I also wonder if the ergonomics of having the driver that far away from the centerline of the tool would make it awkward to use?  Have you used it for anything serious yet Bob?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:15:04 PM
Actually, because you are holding the tool as a whole while using the flatnose, if you look at the photo where it is folded into the handles, the end of it is pretty much exactly in the midline of the handle. That means when you would be using it extended, it should work better than if it was a straight tool.

Conjecture on my part, can you confirm either way Bob?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:16:47 PM
The problem I have with this tool is the redundancy of having a bit driver, and then having multiple flatheads.

And then having 2 knife blades, and the scraper thingy.

For me, the tool layout for this just blows, and rules it out as ever being a contender for EDC. Would just bug the hell out of me.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:52 PM
The problem I have with this tool is the redundancy of having a bit driver, and then having multiple flatheads.

And then having 2 knife blades, and the scraper thingy.
Love the driver, but why have two more flatheads. And there is nothing wrong with two blades, but not if you are missing a metal file.

Scissors: Personally I don't believe every MT should have every tool, there is nothing wrong with specialization. The Bit-driver / Plier / Prybar / Scrape tool make a good combo (though a metal file would fit in nicely). Therefore I think this needs no Scissors or Wood saw.

Two flatheads: Not really like them. I would have preferred something like a box cutter or a glass cutter (glass blade not a spike to smash in glass for rescue purpose). I think that would be a nice complement to the existing tools.

Pry-bar: I wish they would have made that pry-bar with a nail lifter (who needs another cap lifter), still its a shiny tool  :tu:.

Scraper: :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 05:56:19 PM
If they dropped some of the redundant flatheads there is plenty of room for scissors and a file.  Just sayin... :D

I REALLY want to make some hex bit holders to put on my SAK mods, but Im not sure what manufacturing method for small runs I can use to make some. 

Bob you're the machinist, do I need to do plunge EDM to cut a hex shaped hole in some stainless rod to make a bit holder?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:56:46 PM
I wondered about the idea of having two flat and a bit driver as well.  However I think they are actually being pretty smart about this. 

Look at it this way; you could have two flats and a dedicated Phillips and no-one would say anything about it, or you could have just a bit driver BUT also have to carry around a load of bits as well as the MT (or even make the MT bigger so as to have some bits on-board).  The way they have gone about this means that you still have two flats, a Phillips and the option of using/carrying just about any bit on the planet that suits you.

personally I'm OK with the way they went on this. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
Oh, and there also seems a very good chance that I'll be able to swap over the plain and serrated blades, making one of the very few MT that just might be OHO leftie friendly.  Even if not I'm OK with at least being able to OHO the serrated blade.

I do wish they'd managed to squeeze a file onto it though. :-\

us Offline David

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:30:15 PM
I wondered about the idea of having two flat and a bit driver as well.  However I think they are actually being pretty smart about this. 

Look at it this way; you could have two flats and a dedicated Phillips and no-one would say anything about it, or you could have just a bit driver BUT also have to carry around a load of bits as well as the MT (or even make the MT bigger so as to have some bits on-board).  The way they have gone about this means that you still have two flats, a Phillips and the option of using/carrying just about any bit on the planet that suits you.

personally I'm OK with the way they went on this. :)

Agreed.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 07:55:38 PM
nothing short of epic...in my bubble at least. i was waiting for this before i jumped the gun. great details and very astute observations as always!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 10:32:00 PM
If they dropped some of the redundant flatheads there is plenty of room for scissors and a file.  Just sayin... :D

I REALLY want to make some hex bit holders to put on my SAK mods, but Im not sure what manufacturing method for small runs I can use to make some. 

Bob you're the machinist, do I need to do plunge EDM to cut a hex shaped hole in some stainless rod to make a bit holder?

For a small run, i can imagine it would be cheaper to get existing (mini)bitdrivers, cut them off at length and weld them to a Cybertool llike tool layer (if you can do springs, that should be doable, right?

Or the tool could be formed so the Gerber Bit extender (for example) fits - or a std. 1/4 " bit holder maybe?

You would need to carry a set of bits anyways, so you could carry the bit holder, too.

No maxhinist knowledge here, just thinking out loud.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:45 PM
I dunno, we shouldn't have to make excuses for tools.

I have never been a fan of LM with their 3 flatheads. To me, bit driver + flatheads = epic fail, i.e. a tool I would never consider buyng/using.

The whole point of a multitool is to have lots of function in a small package, so space is always at a premium. In my book, a MT which wastes space in this way (I also count having two knives, even if one of them is plain and the other serrated as a waste), is not worth my time.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:56 AM
First of all, thanks for the insight Bob  :tu:

I've not been particularly kind about this tool in previous posts, even though I'll admit I haven't handled one yet. Personally I generally want more from a multitool than just knives and drivers. I think that's fine for something compact like an Octane, but even the Balance, MP700 and MP400 managed scissors.

I like the angled prybar idea, but not the fact that it's vastly weakened by the cap lifter. What is the point of having a prytool with such a substantial tang, then reducing it's cross section by half in thickness and TWO THIRDS in width. Why have they made the pry tool as the weakest implement? Why didn't they put the cap lifter on the bit driver like on the Fit or Balance? How about on a flat driver like on the MP400/600? Crazy!

Love the scraper/chisel/package opener ..... but three blades is going too far
Love the bit driver, although it does also mean that I'd need to carry something else (bit sets) to get the most benefit from the tool, and I could tolerate the couple of flat drivers if it wasn't for the THREE BLADES  :facepalm: ....

Here's the problem with the whole three blades and abundance of drivers etc. Many people (including me) are going to want "something" extra on their multitool, and in fairness that something will vary from user to user ... BUT ... if we carry something else to be able to add the scissors or saw or file or rodent fart detector or whatever other tool you need ... the chances are it's going to come with ANOTHER blade and ANOTHER cap lifter and ANOTHER flat blade driver or three

Oh and another thing ... forged pliers ARE going to be stronger than investment cast ones, assuming they have not been weakened internally by integrating a cavity for the spring assembly ..... and some folks round here don't like how Leatherman tools rust ... let's wait to see how long these carbon steel jobbies last shall we? Once they start furring up that little spring inside those hollow heads is going to be next to useless.

• Weakened plier heads (hollow section)
  • Plier pivot prone to increased wear (hollow plier section)
  • Too many blades
  • Rust prone pliers (liable to negate spring action)
  • Bit driver plus THREE flat drivers (counting pry tool)
  • Drastically weakened pry tool
  • No scissors/saw/file/awl

Sorry guys, but to me personally, this tool looks like a whole lot of nothing at a rather high price. It's like the Homer Simpson car thats been built of lots of little ideas that are great in principle but collectively falls well shy of the mark.

Points to Gerber once again for trying something different, but try to think it through a bit more next time chaps

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 10:42:15 AM
Well, that was a conversation killer wasn't it .....  :-[

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 12:08:51 PM
[...] ... BUT ... if we carry something else to be able to add the scissors or saw or file or rodent fart detector or whatever other tool you need ... the chances are it's going to come with ANOTHER blade and ANOTHER cap lifter and ANOTHER flat blade driver or three[...]
Don't forget it will also have a CAN OPENER, damn I hate those. I think there is a canned food conspiracy behind the abundance of can openers, probably controlled from Switzerland because there is not a single 91mm Vic without that bloody CAN OPENER. I should buy the MP-1 solely because it doesn't have a CAN OPENER, that will show them!

[...]Love the bit driver, although it does also mean that I'd need to carry something else (bit sets) to get the most benefit from the tool[...]
With a double-sided bit (PH / Flathead) you actually have already lots of versatility, there really is no need for more screwdrivers (especially if you have a dedicated scraping tool and a "more or less" dedicated pry-bar).

I always think a MT does not necessarily need a blade, as the blade is the one tool that easiest can be carried separately.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 07:13:10 PM
Well, that was a conversation killer wasn't it .....  :-[

problem is you pretty well summed up my thoughts

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 07:27:23 PM
Well you could have said  :pok: :pok: I just figured everyone thought "Al's at it again" and went to hide under the stairs

:P

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:23 PM
 :D

The concept has potential.

Is there a reason to have forged the pliers out of non-stainless steel?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:07 AM
Stainless would be much harder to forge as I understand it. Higher temperatures and higher pressures required (which would also reflect in the costs/longevity of the closed die tooling), plus higher risks of cracking.

I believe the costs of this tool are comparatively higher than other tools due to the forged heads, but forged stainless heads would be prohibitively high IMHO. I think there is some nice concepts employed in this tool, but I don't think it's a great tool overall for the reasons mentioned before, and for every good move there's at least one numpty one to counteract it - the pry tool is a good example of that

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:18 PM
I've had my MP1 for over a month now and am duly impressed....

(Image removed from quote.)

The photo looks like the MP1 pliers handles can pinch your palm.   Have you found that to be the case?

I've been pinched by the original Gerber Multiplier and current Leatherman Wave.   Seeking to avoid tools which can pinch.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 03:34:56 AM
I've never been prone to pinched palms myself (for some reason?) but this one does look like it would be capable of such a thing. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 12:15:05 AM
Loving the MP1!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:05 AM
I just went through the whole thread again and don't see a mention of it. What size is the screwdriver bit? Universal 1/4 or that odd size as the Balance?

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 02:22:58 AM
Its universal!!! I am happy to report!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD