Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)

J-sews · 106 · 17310

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)
Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 10:58:20 AM
Many thanks Kampfer  :salute: It's a beefier looking tool than I expected. For some reason the pliers always looked a little undersized in the pics on it's own, but that doesn't look the case next to the other tools. To me it actually looks more appealing when compared to those tools than it does pictured alone  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 06:51:45 PM
Yeah, very helpful shots Kampfer, thanks for those. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline afi1

Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:13 PM
I don't have one of these, but will at some point in the near future.  I understand that people have tool selection preferences, but I think its important to look at what it DOES have. 

1, A one hand opening, plain edge blade!
2, A 1/4 bit driver with fantastic reach!
3, Outside opening and locking everything!
4, Spring loaded, forged pliers!

Those are some big pluses that people have been wanting in a tool for a long time.  Sure, I'll say scissors would be a big plus.  Also, the serrated blade won't be used often, if at all.  A file would be nice, too.  That being said, though, the blade, screwdriver(s) and pliers are the things I use most often in an MT- in that order.  For everyone else, I'm sure Gerber will introduce several other variants of the tool.  They already have two Military versions coming out.  Its "Assembled in USA," too, which seems to be as good as it gets now-a-days.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 12:20:09 AM
Per lowtech's request
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 270.09 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 12:27:44 PM
 :tu: Thank you very much.

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 09:41:48 PM
I've used my MP1 pretty extensively for about 6 months now. Is it a great tool? Absolutely. Is it the best tool I have? Absolutely not.

I really like the drivers and the OHO blades (which are excellent blades). I also really like the side cutters as opposed to typical slice cutters found on most MTs. I'm not big fan of the spring loaded pliers at all. I'd also prefer slightly shorter needle nose, but that's just because of the work I do.

It definitely holds up to quite a bit of abuse. It's hard to compete with my love for the ST300, so I always find my way back there, but it's definitely a great tool.

gb Offline Inky

Reply #66 on: January 10, 2015, 07:52:07 AM
I've been Interested in this tool too but it looks to me that it suffers from the same problem as the Wave/Charge/Serge and most Gerbers in that once the pliers are open there is vertually no gap between the handles, which makes it all too easy to pitch your hand in there if the pliers slip. Does anyone else find this a problem? 

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #67 on: January 17, 2015, 07:09:39 PM
I've been carrying the MP1 for about a month now, and  i am very happy so far. Paired with something like a LM Style cs or Micra, and i have almost every task well covered!
p.s. the blades are great indeed, the utility one too!  :salute:
Antonio

no Offline Grathr

Reply #68 on: June 22, 2016, 09:35:21 PM
Are anyone still EDCing the MP1?
How has it held up over time?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: June 22, 2016, 10:00:58 PM
The MP1 is a MT I'd still like to get my hands on, but the price is still too steep for my taste.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #70 on: June 22, 2016, 10:42:35 PM
The MP1 is a MT I'd still like to get my hands on, but the price is still too steep for my taste.

I've never seen a great deal on one either. I bought an MP600 PS for half the typical price of one.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #71 on: June 23, 2016, 05:51:22 AM
I see the cheapest are around 73usd on Ebay with shipping to Norway.
Thats not so bad is it? Compared to what they used to cost?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: June 23, 2016, 04:31:29 PM

Yeah, that's actually much better than it used to be. :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #73 on: June 23, 2016, 05:27:09 PM

I just ordered one :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: June 23, 2016, 06:11:05 PM

I just ordered one :D

We expect lots of pics and thoughts when it gets to you. :tu:

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #75 on: June 25, 2016, 07:54:39 PM
The Sheath looks much more Durable than Gerber's normal Faire....I have been on a Gerber Kick lately after the luck and happiness that carrying my Dad's Old Gator and my First Multi an Orginal Multipler..I was and still am on the Fence on this One..Went with an MP600 instead to pair up with my Diesel..but Christmas is Coming LOL
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #76 on: June 26, 2016, 03:43:25 AM
The Sheath looks much more Durable than Gerber's normal Faire....I have been on a Gerber Kick lately after the luck and happiness that carrying my Dad's Old Gator and my First Multi an Orginal Multipler..I was and still am on the Fence on this One..Went with an MP600 instead to pair up with my Diesel..but Christmas is Coming LOL

I like the way the generic Gerber pouches lay flat against your body when they're on a belt, but it would be nice if they were a lot tougher.

I'm just waiting for Jake from Recycled Firefighter to actually come out with a line of these;

Sorry if it seems like I'm shilling for him, but I've bought three RF wallets and they're just great quality gear. Plus the business is local to me, which I love.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: June 26, 2016, 03:52:18 AM

I like the way the generic Gerber pouches lay flat against your body when they're on a belt, but it would be nice if they were a lot tougher.

I'm just waiting for Jake from Recycled Firefighter to actually come out with a line of these;

Sorry if it seems like I'm shilling for him, but I've bought three RF wallets and they're just great quality gear. Plus the business is local to me, which I love.

No need to apologize mate, if someone is making a quality product and you're happy, then please share the experience.   :tu:   :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #78 on: June 26, 2016, 06:43:15 AM

I carry a wallet made by him.
Its excellent! :tu:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #79 on: June 26, 2016, 06:49:05 AM

:worthless:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: June 26, 2016, 08:24:08 AM
I like the MP1 concept, and if the opportunity came to get one, I might take it.

I cyber-walked to the Gerber website, to check out any variations they have.

They've got the AR weapon one, which is fine, but of no interest to me, and a "MRO" (Maintenance Repair and Operations) model, which sounded more appealing, at least in name.

A few differences from the Website:
It comes in Black, so people know you're serious.
They've modified the Large slothead to incorporate a File and Tyre tread gauge,

but I really loved the Cotter Pin Hook.
"The cotter pin hook allows users to pull cotter pins from vehicles without having to use pliers"

Which is great, because I would hate to have to go and get some pliers when all I've got is my Gerber multitool handy.  ::)

Oh, and it costs $50 more.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:25:40 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #81 on: June 26, 2016, 09:33:40 AM
I didn't hear from either lowtech nor tosh about the MP1 I sent them, I am guessing they became shelf queens.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #82 on: June 27, 2016, 03:37:44 PM
Definetely a Christmas Gift..Right now I am on a Gerber Tear..Just Added an Icon So far I like it, I do realize what it is considering the Cost and I am using it reasonably

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #83 on: June 27, 2016, 03:40:20 PM

These are Sweet! I hope he does too!

Offline Edward M

Reply #84 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:50 AM
What's the idea of the rounded point on the serrated blade on the MP-1?  Seems to be unusual, compared to just about every other multi tool.  The smooth blade doesn't have a rounded point, but also isn't as pointed as most blades.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: August 08, 2016, 09:12:28 AM
Dude, you made me wanna buy (or steal  :D :D) one of these right now!  :police:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: August 08, 2016, 11:52:13 AM
What's the idea of the rounded point on the serrated blade on the MP-1?  Seems to be unusual, compared to just about every other multi tool.  The smooth blade doesn't have a rounded point, but also isn't as pointed as most blades.

Intended as a rescue knife I believe.  So blunt because it might be used next to the body while cutting seatbelts etc.

Offline Edward M

Reply #87 on: August 09, 2016, 12:27:22 AM
Interesting.  Anyone here been using the serrated blade?  How do you find that rounded tip?

And I'm keen to find out as much as I can about the MP-1 cos I can't try one in person (unavailable in Aus) and given the investment I want to be sure.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #88 on: August 09, 2016, 03:48:47 AM
Interesting.  Anyone here been using the serrated blade?  How do you find that rounded tip?

And I'm keen to find out as much as I can about the MP-1 cos I can't try one in person (unavailable in Aus) and given the investment I want to be sure.

Where are you located ?  I have one you could look at and handle to see if you like it.  I'm in Canberra, and travel to Sydney fairly often (and to other parts of NSW less frequently).  PM me to discuss.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Edward M

Reply #89 on: August 09, 2016, 01:00:43 PM
PM sent.

Could you tell me how you find the unfolding action of the MP-1? Is it smooth and even? And folding to close it? I've been using a Leatherman Surge lately (not mine) and it's really tight on one side; to fold it up you really have to push hard. It's a real pain.

And what do you think of the two large blades? How do you find the round tip of the serrated blade? Do you miss not having a sharp tip on that blade? The smooth blade too seems to have quite a straight edge rather than curved - what's it like to use? I have to regularly cut open boxes, straps, wrapped pallets and I wonder how the straight blade would feel and function.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%