Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)

J-sews · 106 · 17318

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Gerber MP1 (lotsa pictures)
Reply #90 on: August 09, 2016, 06:01:01 PM
PM sent.

Could you tell me how you find the unfolding action of the MP-1? Is it smooth and even? And folding to close it? I've been using a Leatherman Surge lately (not mine) and it's really tight on one side; to fold it up you really have to push hard. It's a real pain.

And what do you think of the two large blades? How do you find the round tip of the serrated blade? Do you miss not having a sharp tip on that blade? The smooth blade too seems to have quite a straight edge rather than curved - what's it like to use? I have to regularly cut open boxes, straps, wrapped pallets and I wonder how the straight blade would feel and function.

First off, I haven't used this MP1, I purchased it used (slightly), so my comments aren't based on actual usage.  A search will find some threads on MTo by people who have actually used their MP1, eg
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57925.msg1047704.html#msg1047704

The unfolding and folding action for the pliers is quite nice, smooth with a positive snick, not tight at all.  Similar to a Swisstool in fact.  But the pliers feel slightly gritty and almost binding (some lubrication might or might not help there).

Both large blades seem quite OK to me, and the rounded tip of the serrated blade seems like a thoughtful design to me, most usage I can imagine for a serrated blade doesn't involve any stabbing/impaling action.

As far as regularly cutting open boxes, straps, wrapped pallets etc I would recommend a box cutter or utility knife where it is easy and cheap to replace the blades, cutting cardboard is very hard on cutting edges (it is the silica in cardboard that does the damage and blunts even a good blade quite quickly). If you are cutting all the way through cardboard then a straight blade will work as well as a curved one, but for cutting straps against a wooden pallet then a slightly convex curved blade will be more efficient (with a straight blade all the work is done right at the tip).

My MP1 feels quite heavy in the hand, without sheath it is 246g on my kitchen scales.

Be aware that there is a "military" version of the MP1 which is probably not the best version for your stated usage.

It may be possible to adjust that Surge by loosening off the pivot screws (use some heat to loosen the loctite before doing this).

If you have any other questions please ask.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Edward M

Reply #91 on: August 10, 2016, 07:49:59 AM
That's good info.  I should clarify my usage plans.

At work I generally have other box cutters etc available, but whatever multi tool I buy I'll carry with me as well.  The main use though will be for home jobs.  I'm downsizing a bunch of things so I'm trying to replace three pairs of pliers, a couple of small knives and a screwdriver set all with one tool if possible.  I'm not too worried about the expense because I'll keep whatever I buy for many years (assuming it works well).  The Swiss champ I bought years ago was expensive, but it's proven to be good value given how much I've used it and how long it has lasted.

I plan to buy a bit set so I can use the MP-1 to replace my screwdriver & allen key sets (which are used purely for jobs around the house, on my bike etc).

Given that background, is the MP-1 worth the money over a Ganzo for example?  And the other option is the Leatherman OHT given that the bit driver works well with the flat screwdriver on the OHT as pictured in one of the threads around here.

Offline Edward M

Reply #92 on: August 10, 2016, 07:50:33 AM
And I have noticed the military version of the MP-1 which doesn't cover what I need, so I'll be avoiding that one.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #93 on: August 10, 2016, 09:26:18 AM
That's good info.  I should clarify my usage plans.

At work I generally have other box cutters etc available, but whatever multi tool I buy I'll carry with me as well.  The main use though will be for home jobs.  I'm downsizing a bunch of things so I'm trying to replace three pairs of pliers, a couple of small knives and a screwdriver set all with one tool if possible.  I'm not too worried about the expense because I'll keep whatever I buy for many years (assuming it works well).  The Swiss champ I bought years ago was expensive, but it's proven to be good value given how much I've used it and how long it has lasted.

I plan to buy a bit set so I can use the MP-1 to replace my screwdriver & allen key sets (which are used purely for jobs around the house, on my bike etc).

Given that background, is the MP-1 worth the money over a Ganzo for example?  And the other option is the Leatherman OHT given that the bit driver works well with the flat screwdriver on the OHT as pictured in one of the threads around here.

Hmmm, unless you absolutely insist on having slide-out spring-loaded pliers I can't help but think a new version Surge might be better suited to what you describe, maybe with a LM universal tool adaptor for heavy duty screw and allan key driving jobs. That would be a very versatile and heavy duty combination (albeit a bit heavy, especially if you carry lots of different bits). Yes, it takes a couple of seconds more to deploy fold-out pliers, but unless you are using the pliers a couple of dozen times a day that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

What do other people think ?   :pok: ???
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:29:09 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Edward M

Reply #94 on: August 10, 2016, 11:29:39 AM
I had no idea!  You've just blown my mind!  In all the researching of all these different multi tools, I hadn't come across that bit extender for the Leatherman.  Now I see all sorts of extensions that can be mounted like that, even a hacksaw blade!

I don't particularly want slide out pliers, but I do want spring loaded ones.  I'll have to go back through each model of the Leatherman range now - unless anyone knows the models off the top of their head?

I need spring loaded needle-nose pliers, smooth even action, bit extender ability, serrated blade, locking tools, and heavy duty (not a small keyring or even pocket tool).

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #95 on: August 10, 2016, 05:47:59 PM
IIRC here aren't many h-d MTs with spring loaded pliers - possibly because the extra metal removed to fit internal springs weakens the pliers, and as most MT pliers are weakish cast SS already they just aren't strong enough.

Just what is your application that requires spring loaded pliers, or is it a personal preference ?

Edit1:  I'm not sure how h-d they are but I just read that the Buck x-tract MTs have spring loaded pliers.
Edit2: I just checked one of mine - light duty only pliers  :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:10:54 PM by gregozedobe »

Offline Edward M

Reply #96 on: August 11, 2016, 01:09:26 AM
Alright, I've been through the Leatherman site now that I understand the options with the bit driver.  Several of their units have that feature (Wave, Charge, Surge, Signal etc), but none of them have spring-loaded pliers.  Frustrating!

Offline Edward M

Reply #97 on: September 12, 2016, 08:35:36 AM
Ok, so I bit the bullet and ordered the MP-1 from Amazon (along with a Dime travel it was paired with).  I've had it for a few days now and have started using it.  Very pleased.  It's a well made unit, functions very smoothly and is very comfortable to use.  Incidentally, now that I have a Dime too I've actually started carrying that with me all the time (the MP-1 is for working around the apartment).  The Dime is more substantial that I had expected, and given it's the travel version I'll be carrying it with me when I travel too.  I've scored!

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #98 on: September 24, 2016, 03:49:04 AM
 :worthless:

Offline Edward M

Reply #99 on: September 25, 2016, 11:23:54 AM
Fair call...
Gerber.jpg
* Gerber.jpg (Filesize: 103.65 KB)

Offline Edward M

Reply #100 on: September 25, 2016, 11:26:21 AM
The MP-1's bit holder is fantastic, makes it so versatile.  Pliers are very comfortable to use too.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #101 on: September 25, 2016, 05:38:54 PM
Good to hear you're liking it Edward.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #102 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:08 PM
Good to know that it didnt dissappoint you. I love MP1 and it is my favorite MT.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #103 on: September 29, 2016, 02:47:02 AM
An MP1 is at the top of my "to get" list.  Have any of you guys done any serious (read abusive) cutting with the wire cutter portion of the plier head.  I'm curious how they hold up, being forged.  Also wondering if they will cut stranded wire. 

Offline Edward M

Reply #104 on: September 29, 2016, 07:51:09 AM
I haven't done any wire cutting with it at all, so I can't comment on that.  What I will say is that I have put some torque through the pliers and it's a tough unit, no flex or anything.  I imagine being forged it would stand up to repeated wire cutting well, but having said that there are other tools with replaceable wire cutting blades.

I'm just so pleased I took the time to research thoroughly, and now I have a tool that suits exactly what I need and that I have confidence in.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #105 on: September 29, 2016, 10:08:21 AM
An MP1 is at the top of my "to get" list.  Have any of you guys done any serious (read abusive) cutting with the wire cutter portion of the plier head.  I'm curious how they hold up, being forged.  Also wondering if they will cut stranded wire.

I havent abused the tool, but as a wirecutters the pliers work really well.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!