Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I want to get a GoPro

Nhoj · 10 · 2396

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
I want to get a GoPro
on: September 12, 2013, 02:14:24 AM
As I get increasingly into photography and filming my adventures, it has been a long time coming that I need a GoPro. The thing is I know nothing about them. I don't know the models, mounts, cases etc. I think a head mount will be the most important feature especially for when cliff climbing. So I know I'm not being very helpful or specific but could someone give me a little info on at least the different models?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I want to get a GoPro
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:54 AM
There are really two main choices- GoPro and Contour.  GoPro is by far the more common one, but the Contour benefits from having built in GPS tracking. If that's of interest to you, have a look for the Contour +2.

If you don't need/want GPS tracking then stick with GoPro.  There are three current models- the White, Silver and Black versions. Don't bother with the White as it is a stripped down cheap version that is actually less functional than the older Hero 2. The Silver Hero 3 is very similar in specs to the Hero 2, except that it has built in Wi-Fi and a smaller form factor. This is probably the one I'd opt for as I have two Hero 2's and I like them a lot. 

The Black edition Hero 3 is nice but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra money. About the only feature I really like on it is the high frame rate mode that allows you to shoot 240 frames per second. That is pretty sweet. The Hero 2 can only shoot up to 100 or 120 frames per second.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:35:00 AM

There are really two main choices- GoPro and Contour.  GoPro is by far the more common one, but the Contour benefits from having built in GPS tracking. If that's of interest to you, have a look for the Contour +2.

If you don't need/want GPS tracking then stick with GoPro.  There are three current models- the White, Silver and Black versions. Don't bother with the White as it is a stripped down cheap version that is actually less functional than the older Hero 2. The Silver Hero 3 is very similar in specs to the Hero 2, except that it has built in Wi-Fi and a smaller form factor. This is probably the one I'd opt for as I have two Hero 2's and I like them a lot. 

The Black edition Hero 3 is nice but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra money. About the only feature I really like on it is the high frame rate mode that allows you to shoot 240 frames per second. That is pretty sweet. The Hero 2 can only shoot up to 100 or 120 frames per second.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Def

Thanks very much Grant. I saw they still have the hero 2 on Amazon, but it is the same price as the hero 3 silver, so I'd definitely get the new one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:03 PM
Both are nice- the Hero 3 is a bit smaller body and has built in WiFi, so it is certainly a step up even though they are functionally very similar.

Here's my own take on tryign to decide which cam to buy:

Helmet Cams- GoPro or Contour GPS?

Also, if you do get a Gopro, here is an addon (and some other tips) you might want to think about:

GoPro Mod

I could write a book on which is better for what, but in the end, both are great cameras. 

One thing worth noting is that the Cineform Studio that you get from GoPro has a lot more features than the software from Contour, but it crashes a lot.  It is the number one complaint I have heard about that software.  The Contour software really has no editing abilities to speak of, but it works.

Many of the fancy shooting modes on the GoPro also don't seem to work with some of the other video editing suites, although admittedly some of my copies (Adobe Premiere) are very much out of date.  The "regular" shooting modes work well enough in any editing software but when you try things like time lapse or high frame rate it seems like it has to go through Cineform first.

Updating firmware is also a pain (on both cameras), but should hopefully be better with the Hero 3 since you don't have the WiFi Backpack.  The Backpack, remote, camera etc all have to be updated separately, and there's a certain order it has to be done in, the software randomly selects a device then "loses" it two minutes later even though it's plugged in etc.

I would highly recommend having a smartphone or tablet rather than getting the LCD backpack as it's a lot easier to line up shots when you are moving around rather than trying to do it while squinting into a 1" screen in the sun.  It also makes it a lot easier to choose what mode you want the camera to be in.  Setting the camera is like trying to set a digital watch from the 80's- there are only two buttons and you press one to do one thing and the other to do another, so basically changing the rez from 1080 to 720 looks like this:

front, top, front, front, front, front, top, top, front, top, front, front

If you miss any of those or press one when you were supposed to press the other you have to start all over again.  So, bring a phone or tablet along and it's all radio buttons or drop down menus.  MUCH better.

Also, expect to always get terrible sound out of it.  The camera itself isn't waterproof, and it can't be used without the case.  The case has replaceable back doors that allow you to add different components like LCD, WiFi, extra battery etc, but also to swap between the waterproof and skeleton back door.  When using the waterproof door sound is always severely muffled.  When using the skeleton back door the sound is partially muffled because the microphone is nowhere near the openings on the door.  The come with an external mic port that you can't use when the case is on, and you have no way to mount the cam when the case is off.   :facepalm:

More later- need to take the wife to work now.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:05:52 AM
We have the GoPro3 at work. We mount it on the helmet when we want to document how an area looked before we startet digging, or when we are finished. The video quality is pretty good.
The sound is bad though.
 On another note, I stumbeled upon this gopro video on youtube. The guys that thougt out that contraption must be geniuses :D:  (at the end of the video there is a short clip where you can hear what the muffeled sound sounds like.)

(mods: please remove if its too racy)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:27:19 AM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:25:15 PM
There isn't much you can't do with a GoPro.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:03 AM

Isn't Contour out of business?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:10 PM
Not that I know of. They recently released a follow up model to the one I have that solves most, if not all the issues I have with it, called the Contour +2 I think.

Best Buy and Future Shop have stopped carrying Contour, but last I checked the company is still alive and well. Their distribution network has been suffering lately though, which might be the beginning of the end.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 03:46:33 PM
I just did a quick dealer search and there are 13 resellers in Montreal.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 05:23:17 AM
I was pretty sure I read about it a while ago, so I googled it again. Nothing official yet, but every sign indicates they are about to go belly up.

http://news.dice.com/2013/08/07/wearable-cam-maker-contour-shuts-down/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD