Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Bear Grylls owners club

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Gerber Bear Grylls owners club
on: September 15, 2013, 04:04:40 PM
Well since I bought my first BG knife yesterday, and I haven't noticed an owners club, I figured we should have one.  I know there are not too many of us here that own any BG knives, but post away what you do have.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber Bear Grylls owners club
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:41:01 PM
I have the BG compact scout hidden away somewhere, and a BG pocket tool  :)
I also have a Gerber Prodigy wich was one of the knifes he used before he got his own gerber knife. (very similar to the ultimate knife)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 02:25:32 AM
I have a Bear Grylls...what is it called? ultimate survivor knife?

Ho ho ho.

Okay, it is not the worst knife in the world, but for the price, (in Oz) hahaha.

I got it 75% off, so it was worth it for laughs.

The sheath fell apart and and the lock o-ring for the fire starter disappeared
within a week in the scrub (I managed to save the firerod in my pocket. And fair dues, it did start fires, so there is that)
The "coating" wore off within a short time of use, but that is not a huge issue (other than: what is the point of having it in the first place then?)

The edge is a pain to use, but, it is a combo blade, and I knew that when I bought it, so it is hard to criticise on that point.

I managed to break the pommel (a well documented fault elsewhere) whacking pegs into the ground.

Anyway, it went back into the pack, and got returned for warranty (my local retailer was a dick about it, but that is neither here nor there)

So, got a new one, cool.

Back into the scrub we go (notably cautious about the pommel, and the sheath)

The tip snapped while I was cutting some stakes. I suppose it happens, but I did not feel I was inappropriate with it.

Still, semi functional, and now less precious to me, I used it to tighten some wire.
(In the same manner as you would twist a tourniquet)
The blade was fine, but it bend through the handle, where presumably the metal is thinner.

Ho hum - Functional enough knife for cutting rope, V. Small branches, and the more threatening varieties of sausages.

Ultimate Survival Tool? smurf.

(I have returned for warranty again, we will see if the retailer feels like being cooperative. In any case, I probably will not use the replacement a great deal, other than as a talking point to tell people not to buy them)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:07:17 AM
I have a few.  :whistle:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:41:25 AM
Really, a BG Owners Club...   :facepalm:

Or is this another one of the threads we're supposed to ignore???    :oops:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:13:22 AM
Really, a BG Owners Club...   :facepalm:

Or is this another one of the threads we're supposed to ignore???    :oops:
First thing I thought, this thread should be called:

"WALK OF SHAME"

:rofl: Sorry guys, I know its not all that bad... except for the tactical cheese grater, that is just bad :rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:19:29 AM
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:26:27 PM
<----Proud owner of the tactical cheese grater!

one just never knows when you might need to season something with some cheese...in an emergency SHTF situation. We must keep up our standards you know.

:rofl:

us Offline getahl

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:30:57 PM
I have a BG emblazoned Clutch,  I think, and I quite like it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:43:06 PM
I forgot I even started this thread!  :facepalm:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 04:21:18 PM
Sooo.... guys... this thread reminded me... does anyone know a link where I could download Bear Grylls Priorities of Survival Pocket Guide? Strictly a paid copy to be used as back-up for mine, please (I am Romanian after all)  ::)
Feel free to send me PMs  :whistle:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:08 PM
I have the Strata based survival tool pack with Tempo light and firesteel. I know the branding takes some flak, but I couldn't care less about the branding. I have no brand loyalty to Victorinox, Gerber, Leatherman or anyone else, and judge the tools on their own merit.

Based on this, I have to say the survival pack is a nice tool combo. The rubbery plasticky Strata variation isn't the most heavy duty tool on the market, but when I had the boat, it served me well on the odd few days I took it there. The tool did everything asked of it without any failures, and that matters a lot more to me than the colour scheme of the name on the side. I also really like the sheath the pack comes in.

People who are affected by branding (positively and negatively) often can't see the true pros and cons of certain products, as they can become blinded to the strong points or weak points depending how the branding has affected their bias. Those of us who are prepared to actually try tools out and see what it actually can/can't do, can sometimes find that the most languished of tools, can actually be very useful products.

I think it's a nice set, with a surprisingly capable primary tool. IMHO it's not a substitute for a good knife and other primary tools depending on your situation/location, but chucked in a pack for thos occasions where your other tools might fall short (or get lost or broken), I don't think it's bad value at all  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 05:52:00 PM
^^ This.  The Strata is such an underrated tool around here, which is something I've said a million times.  But NOOOO, you folks won't listen, will you.  :twak:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:44:29 PM
The Strata? You mean the tool where you can prick your hand with the scissors poking through the handle? Did Gerber ever but a little stopper or shelf in the handle to fix that issue?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:24 PM
People who are affected by branding (positively and negatively) often can't see the true pros and cons of certain products

I am affected by advertising, and punish companies that oversell their product.

If I ever buy a certain Ute on the market, you better believe I am dropping it from a helicopter and driving up a scree covered mountain with significantly more than the rated towing capacity, and if it falls short in anyway they can replace it under warranty, or I will mix draino into their chilled water dispensers.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 02:57:24 AM
^^ This.  The Strata is such an underrated tool around here, which is something I've said a million times.  But NOOOO, you folks won't listen, will you.  :twak:

Hey JD, I'm a believer and user!  I have three now...one in my EDC rotation, one in the BOB, and one in my camping pack.  While I love the OH early versions of Gebers (ie, Mr. Pinchy), for day-to-day use and camping, the Strata is my go-to tool. 

Too many LM snobs out there for me.  I have multiple Gerbers and LM tools, and like them all.  I have little keychain versions from both companies, and full size.  But my go-to for the last four years has been the Strata; picking a MT it truly is about comfort and what works for the individual.  When I go sailing, Mr. Pinchy is my go-to because of it's ability to quickly deploy and handles the salt water environment well.

Everybody finds what works best for them.  Some just read and play with them inside at home.  Others use their MTs everyday.  Find the ones that work for you...sing their praises and move on.

Let's move on...but let's also leave the idea of a BG owners club somewhere else!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:13 AM
Why somewhere else?

As for the Strata...

I am no snob. However, I do not like the Strata because I found you can absentmindedly cause yourself some pain because of the design of this tool in regards to the scissors. I know because it almost happened to me.

If you like it by all means...however, I find its design lacking in that one spot.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:30:08 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 03:43:59 AM
That is the worst case, most of the time, all it takes is a light press in the right spot and you get this happening...

Mind you the BG version is nicer due to the better gripping locking mechanisms...but the same scissor design flaw is still evident. I like everything else about the tool...you just have to extra careful when closing those scissors.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 03:17:27 AM
   I do not own any BG tools, but own a lot of Gerbers. I have yet to find one I do not like! This may be a wee bit off topic, but since this thread seems to be going nowhere fast  :D , I have a question! Does anybody know the type of knife Bear Grylls actually uses on his show? I doubt if he uses a cheap knife like the ones he endorses. I do not mean that as an insult to Gerber, but I would spend a bit more than 50 to 60 dollars if I was going to get a knife that I would depend my life on!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:05 AM
   I do not own any BG tools, but own a lot of Gerbers. I have yet to find one I do not like! This may be a wee bit off topic, but since this thread seems to be going nowhere fast  :D , I have a question! Does anybody know the type of knife Bear Grylls actually uses on his show? I doubt if he uses a cheap knife like the ones he endorses. I do not mean that as an insult to Gerber, but I would spend a bit more than 50 to 60 dollars if I was going to get a knife that I would depend my life on!

Season One:
01) Moab - Buck Iceman
02) Costa Rica - Titanium Pro Dive Knife
03) French Alps - Wenger Serrated Mountaineer Knife
04) Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano - Gerber Gator Serrated with Clip Point
05) Sierra Nevada Mountains in California - No knife
06) Northern Kenya - Gerber Gator Serrated with Clip Point
07) Alaska - Buck Iceman
08) Pacific Island - Titanium Pro Dive Knife
09) Rocky Mountains - No knife

Season Two and on:
Bayley S4 - http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/index.aspx
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:06:19 AM by Corwyn »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 07:44:34 AM
In the episodes that came after his collaboration with Gerber, from what I remember, he actually uses the Gerber knives.

I assume he uses the same one for the whole episode.  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 02:21:28 PM
I believe he also used the Gerber Prodigy, wich is very similar to the first generation ultimate knife, in a episode or two

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:23 PM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 04:41:22 PM
Why somewhere else?

As for the Strata...

I am no snob. However, I do not like the Strata because I found you can absentmindedly cause yourself some pain because of the design of this tool in regards to the scissors. I know because it almost happened to me.

If you like it by all means...however, I find its design lacking in that one spot.

As someone who has carried and used a Strata (BG version), I have to say this has never happened to me accidentally, though I did figure out how to recreate it on purpose after one of Dan's posts. I am also very confident that I would notice that happen and to not consider it any more of a hazard than an intentionally deployed knife blade.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:22 PM
Not saying the Strata is bad...just that I almost accidentally punctured my palm while absentmindedly closing the tool whilst not looking at it. That left an indelible impression of the Strata...at least for me.

I know I am in the distinct minority. Ask Def.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 08:27:23 PM
Accidentally....

Absent mindedly....

Not looking....

That doesn't sound like a tool fault to me Dan  ;) :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 09:46:06 PM
Isn't it? I feel the designers should have at least placed something in the frame to prevent this. At least to protect folks like me.  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:41 PM
 :D :D

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:47 AM
Isn't it? I feel the designers should have at least placed something in the frame to prevent this. At least to protect folks like me.  :rofl:

Wait a minute...isn't that what Lawyers are for??!?!!   :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 02:05:38 AM
...and at the mention of lawyers...the forums become strangely quiet.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99