Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Cadet black Alox VS Wenger Evogrip 10 Blackout

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Lately I have been rotating a bit between the Victorinox Cadet black Alox and the Wenger Evogrip 10 Blackout, which are very suiting for EDC. Both are actually quite comparable, so I took the liberty of playing them out against each other for all of you on the forum.

On the outside

Both are 2 layer tools, the Vic measures 84 by 8,3mm, and weighs 46,8gr, the Wenger 85 x 14mm, weighs 53,8gr
The bulk of the width on the Wenger comes from the Evogrip scales. Yes, it's a bit fatter, but it's more comfortable to use then the Vic. Despite the extra bulk of the Wenger, it is only 7 gram heavier then the Vic? You will find out how come in a second. The Vic is the smallest and the lightest, The Wenger the biggest and most comfortable.

On the inside
Blades:

The blades are very similar, but with small differences. The Wenger is slightly bigger, the Vic is slightly beefier. I checked this on both tools, and this is something that goes for all layer tools on the Vic, they are beefier. I would estimate that the Wenger knife, can opener, nail file and bottle opener are about 40% less fat then the Vic tools. Hence, this is where Wenger gained in the weight department. Obviously, this will have its effect in the strength of the tools, Both come very sharp out of the box, and are good blades.
The Vic clearly comes out as the stronger of the 2.

Bottle opener / wire stripper / screwdriver :

The profile of this combo tool shows the Wenger to be more refined and slender then the Vic. The Wenger gains some extra grams in the weight savings department, and the Vic shows strength again. Both open bottles just fine, I have not used the wire stripper or screwdriver yet. I am not convinced the Wenger is suited for heavy duty rusted screws, but for light screwing it seems just fine.

Can opener:

(bad pic - sorry)The known difference here, one cuts forward, the other backward. The pointed tool on the Wenger is good for cleaning nails, so it makes up for not having the useful little screwdriver on the top as the Vic does, by winning in the personal grooming department

Nail file:

Here the Wenger is a miss. Even if the file seems to work better, it is to short. It could have been put on the other side, so it would not interfere with the nail nick. It does work, but with very small strokes. No complaints on the Vic. the file is not as good, but you can use longer strokes, and it feels more usable.

This is the end of the shared tools. The Vic is a basic sturdy and beefy tool with no compromises. The Wenger is a more slender and featured tool, so I will continue with the Wenger's features alone.

Extras on the Wenger
Philips screwdriver:

Good grip on the handle to use the screwdriver. Not for hard to reach/recessed screws.

Awl:

Same as above, you can put some good torque and pressure on this tool. They cleverly made it a blunt edged awl, so if you push to hard and it snaps on you, you wont cut off any digits.

Toothpick and tweezers:

The Wenger toothpick and tweezers are sufficient for their use. Good to have as extras when you need them.

Roundup:
These 2 quite similar sized tools are both excellent EDC gear. For quasi the same weight, they ride in your pocket unnoticed until you need them. The Victorinox Cadet is, although the skinniest, the power tool of the two, while the Wenger 10 is the Ultralight King of features.

I am very happy with the both of them, and cant really say if there is a winner to be picked. As to the looks,I like black so this is what suites me, The black Alox looks great and the blacked out tools look great. Both are available in a rainbow of colors to complement your other gear, so there, no reason what-so-ever not to try them out!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:31:48 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Victorinox Cadet black Alox VS Wenger Evogrip 10 Blackout
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:46:42 PM
Nice side by side. :salute:

The wenger file used to be the other way around so the file was facing inwards but they changed it so the file wouldn't scrape the knife blade.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:53:53 PM
Thanks Enki.

I did not know it was on the other side before. Scraping the knife is a valid reason to swap sides, but I still feel the file is to short now. Not enough of a downside not to like the total package. The Wenger 10 is a great small tool.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:57:14 AM
Why is the Blackout edition more money than the normal Evogrip 10?
Leatherman

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:01:36 AM
Nice comparison.  :tu:  Good to see that I'm not the only one carrying and using the MT.O anniversary Wenger.....  :D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:38:41 PM
Is the Cadet only in alox?
Leatherman

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:40:02 AM
Nice overview :hatsoff:

If you want a Cadet that isnt alox, you need to track down a Victorino Recruit or Sportsman (slight variations on both), or a Wenger Apprentice
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:44:13 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:47:34 AM
Nice overview :hatsoff:

If you want a Cadet that isnt alox, you need to track down a Victorino Recruit or Sportsman (slight variations on both), or a Wenger Apprentice

I have an odd ball that has a butter knife,and nail file,as well the opener layer...and Cellidor scales!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 02:33:12 AM
I have an old Recruit.
Leatherman

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:25:07 PM
A very constructive and balanced review.

For the time being I'll stick to my Victorinox Cadet Silver Alox. I use it on a daily basis.

I can't see anything wrong with the nail file, but that's my personal experience.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:41:25 PM
Great comparison/review Microbe :salute:  I have considered the Cadet in the past, but the lack of scissors doesn't help it, imo.  If it had scissors, it would be a great little EDC item.  I ended up getting the Wenger Evogrip 16 instead, which is a great little SAK as well, although I really don't carry it.  I really like the Wenger Blackout though, and would have loved to have had the MTo anniversary edition, especially if they had made one with scissors.
K-Tibbs

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:27:27 PM
Great review/comparison.

I like both but the blackout evogrips just  :dd:

I love the look of the wengers can opener.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%