Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Legality in Greece at peril

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Legality in Greece at peril
on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:13 PM
I was making fun out of poor Brits, because they can't carry legally locking blades, but the Universe is going to punish me, I'm afraid.
We had some event here, where a Neo-Nazi killed somebody with a knife. Not the first time I'm afraid, but this time the government and the rest house of commons (yes, they are in the house of commons!) and the police (with a cold heart) decided to do something about it, before they kill us all. The point is that they search about guns, clubs and knives and I see that they consider knives as weapons, even when smaller than some of my knives.
The law in Greece is vague about knives. It gives much weight to the context. When you are in your field (as a farmer, butcher, fisherman etc) you might carry whatever you wish. When out of context, even a nail clipper might be considered a weapon. If you are a criminal then every blade you own is a potential weapon. It has some logic that, but since that @€&#¥ killed that boy in cold blood with a knife he had for "self defense" I don't feel safe with the Opinel in my bag and the Bahco in my car or even the Endura in my house. Hell, even my SAKs could be considered weapons in this context. The fact that I am a physician and had never anything to do with the law and extreme politics is reassuring for the moment, but they might eventually vote for stricter laws about knives. Then I'll have to leave my knives at home (what, even my Ladybug, even my Minichamp?) and robbers will still carry their AK47s and extremists their 120x5cm clubs (used as flag poles also !!!) because they don't respect the law as I do.
Don't panic I say to myself. But perhaps we should panic.

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Legality in Greece at peril
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:22:51 PM
I feel your pain mate  :-\ we had a local stabbing this week,the person used a screwdriver, now can you buy them on ebay  :whistle:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:46 PM
Sadly we live in a sound bite society.  After a horrible incident, it sounds great on TV to ban the object of the attack.  The reality is, such widesweeping crude attempts really have little impact.  These bans go after the means of attack, not the cause of the attack.

People are not nearly careful enough about protecting their freedom.  Anytime you give up something in the name of safety, be aware that you're trading freedom for perceived safety.  Choose wisely.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:07:47 PM
Time for a Bladeless Fuse mate :pok:

Joking aside,it'll soon be stabbing season in London's West End again :poh:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:58:27 PM
I feel your pain mate  :-\ we had a local stabbing this week,the person used a screwdriver, now can you buy them on ebay  :whistle:
That's nothing. Last week someone was killed with a stick and now they're thinking about cutting down all the trees...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:00:14 PM
Sadly we live in a sound bite society.  After a horrible incident, it sounds great on TV to ban the object of the attack.  The reality is, such widesweeping crude attempts really have little impact.  These bans go after the means of attack, not the cause of the attack.

People are not nearly careful enough about protecting their freedom.  Anytime you give up something in the name of safety, be aware that you're trading freedom for perceived safety.  Choose wisely.

Like someone once said: Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
 :-\

Maybe they should outlaw people...
 ???

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:04:19 PM
Great, more knee jerk emotional reactions from lawmakers. When will we ever learn that you can NOT control criminal activity by limiting the activity of law abiding citizens?  All you do is hurt the people you're trying to help.

This kind of thing makes me nuts.  "We have to do SOMETHING", so let's do something we already know won't work, and when it doesn't work again we'll say "We just didn't go far enough" so we'll do something else we already know won't work.  It's the textbook definition of insanity.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
it is called security theater, you are presenting a fake level of security.

someone could strangle people with a CAT-5 cable,  so no more networks unless wireless.

you know what, lets just never get in the ocean because of sharks, and never go into the woods because of bears, and never go to amusement parks because accidents can happen, or never go to a gas station, because someone could rob it.   you get the  idea   :rant:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline David

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:10:45 PM

Like someone once said: Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
 :-\

Maybe they should outlaw people...
 ???

Dont worry that is being planned also!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 10:18:07 PM
I figure outside of a war zone, cars kill more people than any weapon. Yet they allow 15 year olds behind the wheel after a test that mostly proves they can parallel park in a wide spot.

Ban cars!  :tu: :think:
G

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:59:09 PM
I figure outside of a war zone, cars kill more people than any weapon. Yet they allow 15 year olds behind the wheel after a test that mostly proves they can parallel park in a wide spot.

Ban cars!  :tu: :think:

Oh, don't start me on that one... But, take the Sandy Hook school shooting for example. Worldwide news, horror and tragedy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making light of it. A terrible thing to be sure.

However, on the same day (average figure) four times the number of people died on the roads in the US. And the day after, and the day before, and the next Tuesday, and today, and will tomorrow.

But somehow these lost lives are less important? Are you less dead if it's from a car crash than from a bullet? Do your family grieve less in the comfort that at least you weren't shot?

:rant:  I better stop before I do more harm to my blood pressure...  But you get the idea.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 12:07:12 AM
I agree with all that has been said. I honestly do not wan't to get into writing what I believe as it could take all day. Basically they are making law abiding citizens criminals while simultaneously making criminals less afraid of doing harm to others. Breaks my heart to think about it.  >:(
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 12:46:12 AM
Well said Mr Whippy and PTRSak,

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:21 AM
Yeah people just love to be a slave of news media and news media just loves manipulating people sadly.

A while ago around here the news where all about how people got robbed, kidnapped by people on motorcycles. One day to another all you could see is that every single criminal incident and accident involved a motorcycle. The result was a law that was proposed for people to wear their document number on their helmet and to use a reflective vest with your document number and license??? :ahhh

Fortunately that law didnt pass due to an enourmous resistance from riders around here (luckily we are a lot) and news moved on to something else.

Of course what didnt have a solution is that people on their cars see a motorcycle and close their windows and throw their car at you just in case you are about to rape and murder them with your motorcycle madness  :rofl:

So yes living in a society with many people is just infuriating :rant:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 04:41:54 AM
Let's just cut to the chase here.. The world needs less simple minded people.

I propose standardized tests that gauge basic reason, judgement, and intelligence.

Failure signs you up for the manned missions to Mars.

G

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 05:33:31 AM

I propose standardized tests that gauge basic reason, judgement, and intelligence.

That would be a nice plan except that when earth melts down soon and we all need to escape to mars we will be surrounded again by simple minded and demential people who were living alone in mars for the past decade  :rofl:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:52 AM

I like it, but I would settle for failure resulting in a lifetime ban on holding any public office.  We could even make the test multiple choice.

Sample question:

In an unprovoked attack, man A stabs man B with a knife.  Who or what is at fault?
A.  Man A
B.  Man B
C.  Man A's parents
D.  The knife
E.  The store owner who sold man A the knife
F.  The manufacturer who produced the knife
G.  Violent movies and video games
H.  The government

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 11:43:49 AM
Kirky (who else?!)

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 01:52:17 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Leatherman

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 01:52:34 PM
Leatherman

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 05:59:12 AM

That would be a nice plan except that when earth melts down soon and we all need to escape to mars we will be surrounded again by simple minded and demential people who were living alone in mars for the past decade  :rofl:

Nah.. I'm going to Venus. Women are from Venus.

Chicks, man.
G

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:53 AM

I like it, but I would settle for failure resulting in a lifetime ban on holding any public office.  We could even make the test multiple choice.

Sample question:

In an unprovoked attack, man A stabs man B with a knife.  Who or what is at fault?
A.  Man A
B.  Man B
C.  Man A's parents
D.  The knife
H.  The government

wow, you just removed the possibility of blaming anything else in a single multiple choice question.   :mn:

well played, your question (from now on referred to as the Gospel of Nate J) should be answered correctly before allowed to take the oath as an elected Gargamel.
If I can help, let me know 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 01:12:33 PM

Sample question:

A.  Man A
B.  Man B
C.  Man A's parents
D.  The knife
H.  The government

wow, you just removed the possibility of blaming anything else in a single multiple choice question.   :mn:

well played, your question (from now on referred to as the Gospel of Nate J) should be answered correctly before allowed to take the oath as an elected Gargamel.

+1 to this :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 02:45:51 PM
Kirky (who else?!)

:whistle:

REALLY :rant:

I've too much concern for peoples EDC needs...I'd use a baseball bat >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 12:02:32 AM

Sample question:

A.  Man A
B.  Man B
C.  Man A's parents
D.  The knife
H.  The government

+1 to this :tu:

Thank you, sirs.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 11:35:18 AM

This was taken yesterday, two minutes away from where I live. There was nothing going on. Raids like this are a routine here and believe me this was a soft version. It is worth noting that Exarcheia neighborhood has been anti-establishment since its foundation in the late 19th century. In the '80s anarchists were chasing drug dealers away and police would step in to protect the dealers... Legality has been repeatedly violated here. 
:nothingtoadd:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 12:52:17 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=722440754477471&id=100001346584252&set=a.115135121874707.19114.100001346584252&source=48

A quick update. November 17, 2014. Same neighbourhood, exactly one year later, so that you know what might happen to one while visiting Greece; especially if there is a massive demonstration in honour of civil liberties around.

There's plenty were that came from :rant: I'd embbed a screenshot if I could. Mods, please remove if inappropriate.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23:54 PM
It's a shame that the people entrusted to keep us safe from evil and terror, are by their own actions terrorists themselves.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:37 PM
Every time I hear things like this it makes me think of the Salem witch hunt. The Governments are likely well aware that what they're doing is going to have literally zero positive effect. It just sounds good to the hysterical public, they're standing there saying hey, look, we did something!

As has been said, end of the day people are and always will be the problem. Were it not for the smurfing smurfs who do smurf like this, we wouldn't have an issue. Though it unfortunately seems that the bad people outweigh the good.

Does my Sidekick have a knife? Sure does, two of them. But don't you think that if I had malicious intent I would certainly be going to have something a lot more substantial? Common sense is turning into one of the world's rarest commodities, being in college I get to see the utter lack of it daily.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gr Offline firiki

Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 10:41:30 AM
It's a shame that the people entrusted to keep us safe from evil and terror, are by their own actions terrorists themselves.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does my Sidekick have a knife? Sure does, two of them. But don't you think that if I had malicious intent I would certainly be going to have something a lot more substantial? Common sense is turning into one of the world's rarest commodities, being in college I get to see the utter lack of it daily.
Lemme get my Victorinox Spirit out of my bag, then out its sheath, then find the blade I'm looking for and then I... oh, my would-be victim has fallen asleep!

As for common sense, I think there's no such thing. There are just some common places where most people's minds meet IMO. Reason, however, that very subjective and dear thing is being crippled and mutilated day in day out, I'd say. Hysterical public, nice call that...

:cheers:  :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44