Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Meeting a VIP

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Meeting a VIP
Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:16 PM
I had a similar experience with an Apache gunship.  My wife and I were driving along the road that goes behind the local air base when we heard a helicopter going over us at a fairly low altitude, which is pretty well normal.  My wife looked up and said "That's a weird looking helicopter."

I knew there was an Apache there doing icing tests, so I suddenly got kind of excited and looked up- sure enough there it was.  It passed over us, stopped and hovered above the airfield, rotated back towards us and tracked us along the road, rotating very slowly to keep us directly in line with the 30mm chain gun.  I knew it was just playing, but even so you can't help but have a HUGE amount of respect for a machine like that!

Def
That's a cool experience!  :tu:
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 05:33:21 PM
And the A-10 cockpit is titanium to help protect the pilot from ground fire and dogfight fire.
If I can help, let me know 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 08:40:32 PM
Personally I'm a huge fan of the C-130 and Ju-52/3m. There's something about a reliable work horse which just keeps on going.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 08:56:04 PM
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 08:58:48 PM
And the A-10 cockpit is titanium to help protect the pilot from ground fire and dogfight fire.

A-10's have come back from missions with an engine and half a wing blown off.  Republic always built tough-as-brick smurfhouse attack aircraft, like their LI neighbors at the "Iron Works" at Grumman.  :tu:

Personally I'm a huge fan of the C-130 and Ju-52/3m. There's something about a reliable work horse which just keeps on going.

I've seen a Ju-52 in flight at an airshow once.  A true classic.  We need to start an aviation thread....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:48 PM
I've seen a Ju-52 in flight at an airshow once.  A true classic.  We need to start an aviation thread....

Cool! Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung operates one of them, and I dream a little of going on one of those flights. http://www.dlbs.de/en/Fleet/Junkers-JU-52/index.php I always drop by the Ju-52 in Deutsches Museum when I visit Munich; you can go inside and study the instruments and so on.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:50 AM
Yes, the warthog is a beautiful bird...heck, its even nicer looking than that chicken on my head. Man oh man, I forgot I posted that photo on here.  :facepalm:  :rofl:

I have a few bushplane museum photos I could re-post to get an aviation thread started properly?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 01:20:20 AM
I was there last year.  Very cool.  I posted pics somewhere.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool now Free

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 10:51:43 AM
I have a few bushplane museum photos I could re-post to get an aviation thread started properly?

Yes, please!  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 12:26:13 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Got the photos up in the photo section.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: December 12, 2013, 08:51:06 AM
here is the gun next to a car for size comparison

[/quote]

The A-10 is my all time favorite aircraft!! This is what comes out of the business end of that GAU-8. (No, not the MUT you wisecrackers :twak:)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 171.78 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #71 on: December 12, 2013, 12:31:41 PM
 :sa:
Holy crap!!  :ahhh  Now that's a gun!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: December 12, 2013, 12:58:40 PM
Thems is great fer huntin' squirrels....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #73 on: December 12, 2013, 08:29:18 PM
Thems is great fer huntin' squirrels....

Def

Think I could borrow one to deal with the house sparrow problem at my feeder? :D

Didn't the German had a plane with actual anti-tank cannon mounted on it? Don't think it's very successful.

Found it, Hs 129 B-3 of the WWII era. 75mm cannon, could knock out any tank in the world at the time, apparently handles like crap, and only 25 were made.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:38:38 PM by jzmtl »

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #74 on: January 11, 2014, 07:32:12 PM
Next meetup should be somewhere at my corner... Right Aleph78? I am going to keep my pot of coffee warm if some of you going to visit here soon...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: January 12, 2014, 01:29:17 AM
I'd love to meet up in Finland some day!  :D

I am hearing rumblings of a Maine meetup in June though.... nothing definite yet, but that's the rumor.  It'll be in Freeport again which is a great location.

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #76 on: January 12, 2014, 04:11:53 AM
Oh a Maine meetup?  Should that end up happening, I hope to be able to make it.  I would likely be busy prepping for our move, which will be sometime in the summer.  We're not sure when yet as there is work to be done to the house before we can move in, and I'm likely to have to help out during any free time.  I do know my vacation has to be worked around when we will be moving.  Oh how cool it would be to meet some of the members though :D
K-Tibbs

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:19 AM
Still the coolest plane ever built...
i like the U2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: January 12, 2014, 03:48:56 PM
It will probably be on a weekend if that helps.  Here's the link to the last one we did, which was WAYYY too long ago, in 2008.

http://forum.multitool.org/events-forum/sebago-meet-2008/

I drove all night to make that one and ended up passing out for a bit in a parking lot somewhere in Maine as I'd worked all the previous day!

Man that was a great time!

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #79 on: January 12, 2014, 09:47:39 PM
Ah, pulled the all nighter drive huh?  How long of a drive is it for you?  A weekend would help, but I would likely be busy helping out with work on our house most weekends.  Thems the breaks I guess.  If you have it and I can't make it, just don't wait 6 years for the next one ;)  I really hope I can make it though as I would love to meet whoever would be there :tu:
K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: January 12, 2014, 10:34:53 PM
It's about a ten hour drive from here which was almost murderous in my old TJ.  It wasn't meant for long highway drives.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #81 on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:08 PM
Yeah, that's quite a drive.  I drove to a place in New York twice back in 2012, which was a 12 hour drive.  My wife started for the first few hours and I finished, but then I ended up driving the entire way back myself, after only a couple hours of sleep.  Surprisingly I didn't have any heavy eyelid problems ;) 
K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: January 12, 2014, 11:21:08 PM
I didn't in my TJ either on the way back.  That thing is a tank and requires complete concentration when you drive it.   I worked 14 hours the day before so I had to stop on the way down and take a nap somewhere in Maine.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #83 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:40 AM
Well I was in a Ford Fusion, so nothing like your tank ;)  Yeah, that sounds like a long work day, especially to end up driving 10 hours right after.  Where did you cross over into Maine? 
K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:10 PM
I came down through Woodstock, NB which is just on the Canadian side of the border.  I think the first US town I hit was Houlton, Maine.

The thing is, I am not all that far away, if I could go directly, but I have to go all the way around.  Here's a map showing what I mean:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Freeport,+ME,+United+States&daddr=Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.648901,-63.575335&sspn=2.629968,4.938354&geocode=FW40nQIdsE_S-yljoYU-NH6yTDF9DrvHe-QOKw%3BFcVJqQId2eo1_CnF6ybQuxNFSzEgskM82ZcEGw&oq=Freeport&t=h&mra=ls&z=7

That kind of doubles the length of the trip.  I could take the ferry from the south shore of NS right to Freeport (not sure if it's still running or not) but it was a four hour drive from here to Yarmouth, then two hours (minimum) for loading on the ferry, seven hours at sea, then another hour or two for offloading, which meant it would take a lot longer, although I would have been much better rested when I arrived.  It didn't make much sense for me to have the direct route take longer.

I think I'll start a new thread about this rather than continue to hijack this thread!  :D

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #85 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:05 PM
Very nice. I hope that next time you'll be able to see his collection or part of it.
I regret loosing the opportunity to meet Kirk13 and TaxiDad early in December. I had a tough program waking up early and visiting Leeds (Yorkshire) and Elmley (Kent) with trains from London. Next time I hope I'll be a tourist and have time to make up.
Funny this Internet community. You easily forget the distance that divides people when you communicate instantly all around the world through the forum.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: January 13, 2014, 05:57:05 PM
Very nice. I hope that next time you'll be able to see his collection or part of it.
I regret loosing the opportunity to meet Kirk13 and TaxiDad early in December. I had a tough program waking up early and visiting Leeds (Yorkshire) and Elmley (Kent) with trains from London. Next time I hope I'll be a tourist and have time to make up.
Funny this Internet community. You easily forget the distance that divides people when you communicate instantly all around the world through the forum.

So true.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #87 on: January 13, 2014, 06:10:32 PM

So true.

Indeed +1.
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #88 on: January 13, 2014, 09:31:51 PM

So true.

Indeed +1.
It really is wild when you think about it.  We really do have people from all parts of the world here, yet one could almost believe we're all neighbours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #89 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:17 PM

So true.

Indeed +1.
It really is wild when you think about it.  We really do have people from all parts of the world here, yet one could almost believe we're all neighbours.

It is crazy, eh?   :pok: :rofl:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24