Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sog,s where are they made ???

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Sog,s where are they made ???
on: October 18, 2013, 02:59:10 AM
Where are sog multitools made now.

are all of them made in China.

I just compared a old ppp I gave to my bro in law a few years back and there are alot of difference's the older model is better made with bolts not torx fasteners and has a different pliers head.

I'm just wondering.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Re: Sog,s where are they made ???
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:25:47 AM
Nobody knows ???

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:35:57 AM
I'm hoping the power lock and power assist are made in USA .

I'm googling trying to find out.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:26 PM
I am not 100% sure Joel. I looked at the papers that came with my Powerlock and it say it is made in the USA. But I think mine is a older one. Has no gear covers.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 09:02:04 PM
I looked on the net last night and I couldn't find anything about where they are made.

I have a feeling made in China mostly since I couldn't find out anything

bummer
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:05:27 PM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:46:12 PM
Ahh,   :facepalm:

The multitool as we knew it has passed.

Almost gone are the once great names. I too feel your sorrow. Personally, I truly detest buying Chinese products that  rely on past built up brand names to sell what is generally accepted as inferior products.

Admittedly, they are not all bad. But pick up a tool built in  America, UK, Europe and be won over by the sheer heft that in itself instills confidence. By comparison the eastern products may look identical until we begin to notice all the cost cutting that's taken place, thinner steel, poorer grade steel, inferior fixings, shoddy QC checks etc etc. Yet the actual fit and finish is almost always impeccable, probably due to the high reliance on automation during manufacturing and assembly, for which our eastern friends excel.

Yet I would gladly exchange 2 exactly identical multitools for one that was built more by hand and although no two would ever be the exact same the quality would just be..........better.

And that's basically why I'm not that bothered about future releases, as far as I'm concerned the moment has passed, the era gone. What remains is little more than a replica but not the real McCoy!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:39:50 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:33 PM
Excellent post tosh

my feelings exactly
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:48 PM
....................... probably due to the high reliance on automation during manufacturing and assembly, for which our eastern friends excel.

Yet I would gladly exchange 2 exactly identical multitools for one that was built more by hand ........................

In my area of Product engineering the opposite is true. Cheap product from the Far East are all hand made as wages are low.

The only way for the factory in UK to secure the same work was to develop automatic assembly that would run 24/7 with minimum staff to cut costs. Happy to say it works and we are seeing work come back from far off so called "low cost" factories.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:20:13 PM
a picture says a thousand words

Defend the Hive!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:07 PM
Just because a product does not say Made in USA, it does not mean that it is not made there.

LM Juices, for example, are US made but this is not stated on them as some of their parts are imported, so according to (I think) California law they are not 100% US made, thus they can not say so. There have been a few threads discussing this isuue here before.
Some SOG models, like the powerduo are known to be made in China and, I think, state that. It is funny that the Chinese made ones seem more honest in a way, stating their country of origin.

There are many Western companies living off their once good name, without the need to go to China.

We have talked before about Sheffield knifemakers and the comparison between the quality of some older products and the newer ones, made under the same name still in Sheffield. The quality has gone downhill in many cases, without having to move the production abroad.

There are also discusions, in BF, about the Buck 110 or some Case xx models that have been made in the US for many years, where the quality of the newer ones is not considered to be the same as the older ones. (I do not have any older ones to compare)

I just buy the product, not the history or the country of origin.
And if a product is bad I blame the company that puts its name on them and sells them; If they are happy to sell a product under their name that means that they are happy with its quality too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14:25 PM
 :tu:

Asking if a company gives a crap about quality gives a much better answer than where they are made. Discovering where a tool (or it's components) are made, does not answer the quality question.

I am known for lampooning an American company for their quality, and for carrying Chinese made good which have proved themselves worthy of pocket time. A tool is either well made or it isn't, and country of origin is no assurance of quality. I can buy well made British stuff, or piss poor British stuff, and the same goes for American and Chinese, and indeed Swiss (just look at the 108mm line, and the Hunter Pro knife as reveiwed by Syph)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 04:54:02 PM
I agree that country of origin does not determine the product's quality (although there is a strong correlation), but I would also rather by a product knowing that the sale paid an American worker instead of a Chinese one. This reason is not because I have anything against anyone Chinese, but I feel the manufacturing and labor processes that are employed by many Chinese companies are not something I wish to encourage by paying them more.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 06:52:09 PM
Or by paying a Chinese company more, more money will go to the workers there, conditions will improve and so on.

If less money goes to the Chinese then maybe the conditions will just get worst  :D

There have been endless discussions, especially in BF, regarding the Chinese working conditions, whether, for example, Spyderco chinese products are made in a sweatshop.  :o  I doubt that SOG and Gerbers  and spyderco and AGRussel and Buck and even SRM etc. Chinese models are made in sweatshops, irrespective of how good or bad they are.

Or that most TVs, computers and general electronic equipment is made by slave labour, and Sony, Apple, Cannon etc. have no idea, or are all in it and support it.

These sort of discussions just get down to the point of politics (forbidden here !!) , down to suporting your own country, saying that if you buy from country X then you are supporting their regime/army etc. which you do not like.. Some people will not want to support even a vilage or town that is not their own, even if it is their own country; see football teams as an example. If a copy is made by someone in a persons country then it is just "inspired by". If it is made in another country then it is a "blatant copy", as seen, for example, with the Buck 110 style knives made worldwide.

I would gladly just buy products made by my family only if that was possible  :D

When the quality is equal then I will support certain countries/towns/villages if possible.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:57:44 PM by dks »

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:14:55 PM
"If less money goes to the Chinese then maybe the conditions will just get worse".
One of the most retarded things i read in a while. Or maybe just dishonest.
Antonio

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:28:43 PM
"If less money goes to the Chinese then maybe the conditions will just get worse".One of the most retarded things i read in a while. Or maybe just dishonest.

I think you missed the  :D  smiley icon, or chose to ignore it.

To quote you, your statement was "One of the most retarded things I read in a while" (apologies if it is a medical condition).

I assume the only honest opinion, for someone like you, would be the one that agrees with whatever opinion you happen to hold at the moment.

Feel free to tell all what they are allowed to post, say or think. We are very understanding.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 02:32:32 PM
:police:

[moderator]

Guys, no need for name calling or getting personal. If you wish to discuss it further, go to PM.

Keep this discussion tool related. (And no, calling someone a tool is not tool related. :P )

[/moderator]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 02:34:10 PM
OK, I will be happy if both posts were to be deleted so we can go back to discussing tools.

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 06:21:32 PM
I was led to believe. Parts made in China. Assembled in USA. I believe any product only has to be 51% made in that country to be branded "made in....". Apparently this includes some Victorinox knives.
I have on good authority that 90% of steel die cutting machines worldwide are in China. If you take out high precision tools and medical devices etc that are produced in northern Europe, it doesn't leave much room in that 10% for MT's.
The good news is most of the die cutters are made in Germany I think.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 12:09:59 AM
Don't SOG also have a company in Taiwan that makes some stuff for them? They used to have it but don't know if everything is moved to China.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 02:17:38 AM
Since this is my thread in gonna give a few soggy thoughts of mine.  :P

I traded my bro in law for his usa stamped sog. :) :) :)

there was nothing wrong with the power pliers I had but the finish of the USA stamped plier is nicer. The usa pliers head model was finished way better. The frame was stamped out better with no crinkle's.

the pliers are different. The made in USA are not as ground on to make a point.

USA opens smoother since it was new. The newer one opens just fine with one hand but it doesn't glide open like the old one.

the old file is harder and cuts better. It is also stamped sog .

the rest of the blades seem the same. I haven't seen the older scissors , plane blade, serrated blade, 1/4drive , or new v cutter.

the made in USA uses the hex bolt construction we are all used to from sog.

the newer model is held together with torx fasteners

I'm a nerd that I pay so much attention.

I'm more than a little disappointed to watch sog.

I like most of there designs. If they made a quality product they would have alot of must own tools

the way they are now I  won't risk my money. Most of the time :)

I wish I had a made in USA stamped power lock so I could tell you if I thought there was a difference :facepalm: I'm a nerd  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:20:32 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:55 AM
Mine is USA made, does not have hex bolts and does not have gear covers. I wonder if mine is an in between one. :think:

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 09:01:16 AM
Mine is USA made, does not have hex bolts and does not have gear covers. I wonder if mine is an in between one. :think:

sent from Nate's mobile

How can you tell it's USA made Nate? Is it stamped as such? My Powerassist I would say is really nicely made and has hex bolts. Does this mean it is US made?
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:51 AM
I think yours may be made in the USA. Mine says it was made in the USA on the package and flyer that came with it. But no where on my powerlock is it stamped "Made in the USA" Just a Bunch of patent numbers and Sog stamped on some of the tools and on the frame.
I am new to the Sog Multis so my knowledge is limited.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 11:55:57 AM
Here is a few pics. Hope this helps.

sent from Nate's mobile

uploadfromtaptalk1385117712403.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1385117712403.jpg (Filesize: 37.55 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1385117726299.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1385117726299.jpg (Filesize: 40.17 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1385117741260.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1385117741260.jpg (Filesize: 35.94 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1385117761405.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1385117761405.jpg (Filesize: 37.55 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 11:57:08 AM
sent from Nate's mobile
uploadfromtaptalk1385117818683.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1385117818683.jpg (Filesize: 36.08 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1385117831240.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1385117831240.jpg (Filesize: 39.2 KB)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:58:50 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 01:13:49 PM
Thanks for the photos Nate. Looks like mine has the same plier head as far as I can tell with "SOG" stamped in the same place as yours  :tu: I'll get my hands on a Powerlock at some point  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:18:05 PM by Magic Bus »
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 01:31:08 PM
You will like it. Well, I do anyways. It has a few quirks, but so does every multi. But the thing is a beast.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31