Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Wave or New Wave, which do you like better?

Offline Philthy

Old Wave or New Wave, which do you like better?
on: October 18, 2013, 02:37:16 PM
I was comparing an Old Wave and a New Wave, and I noticed that the scissors on the Old Wave seem superior to the New Wave.

Old Wave
better scissors
thinner

New Wave
locking internal tools
2 bit drivers

Which do you prefer and why?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Old Wave or New Wave, which do you like better?
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 02:41:52 PM
New Wave because I like the flexibility of changing bits (I seem to come across lots of different Torx fasteners that need loosening/tightening)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:07:00 PM
I agree that the scissors on the old wave are nicer.  The bit driver on the new one is handier however.  One other difference - isn't the new wave held together with the usual 6 sided torx screws (tamper proof) instead of the 5 sided ones in the old wave?  I don't have a new one to compare mine to right now.

John.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:19 PM
New Wave.  I don't need a handle full of flat drivers.  :facepalm:

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:13:53 PM
New Wave, the bits and extension are just too handy, and too easy to carry, not to have.  And like Whippy, I have no use for all those flat drivers.  If only they'd give us an awl and a pry tool.  But I guess that's why I also carry a SAK.  Or leave it all at home and take the Spirit and ratchet kit.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:33:07 PM
Old for me as slimmer and prefer the scissors and actually like all the drivers just wish lm added the original supertools locks,for a mt for adding bits I've got its younger bigger Bro the surge  :salute:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 07:37:02 PM
Old for me, it's smaller and lighter. The new wave is close enough to the Surge that I normally end up carrying that.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

pl Offline Gilliand

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:47 PM
As stated before, Old Wave is more compact, slimmer and lighter. Plus you don't risk losing your screwdrivers.

However I disagree that old scissors are superior. They look better, yes. They're bigger and seem to be more reliable, yes. But after trimming nails with them I have to say that New Wave scissors did much better job with that, no idea why.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 10:47:13 PM
I like the old Wave way better, just because it's old.. ;) But I use the new Wave around the house..  :tu:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:14:48 PM
New Wave because that's the one I have.
Leatherman

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 03:24:57 AM
While I can't speak from experience on the old Wave, I really want one.  I had the new Wave and sold it, but not because it was a bad tool or anything, I just didn't need it.  I liked the Wave, and I think I'd really like the original as it's slimmer and lighter, and it's from a generation of LMs where the quality just seemed to be a bit better.  I don't mind all the flat drivers as one of them could be filed down to be an awl.  I'm sure the large one could be used as a pry tool.  I don't care about the bit drivers as I don't sheath carry, and therefore can't really be carrying the extra bit kit and extender (even though I do own them). 

So I guess I can't accurately answer the question, but I have a feeling I'd prefer the old Wave :tu:
K-Tibbs

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 03:28:57 AM
I love the old wave, while it is a little bit more streamlined than its current incarnation, it's still an MT that can take whatever you throw at it. It's a throwback to simpler times when you have but the basics. I actually prefer it over the current Wave (which I also love). I guess my tastes just go for the mts without the removable/replaceable bits.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:15:32 AM
old wave;
- 4 flat drivers.  seems at least one cold have been an awl.
+ scissors are larger and easier to use for me
- Philips driver is not as good as the new wave Philips driver. im not sure what size it is but is seems smaller.
- + all implements clump on mine which actually is needed as the philips nail nick is very low due to how it sits in the chassis.
- less surface area on file due to thinner chassis
- no ruler ( yeah I actually used it ) it doesn't take up space so why not?
+ thinner chassis means easy to have in hand
- small lanyard loop ( I can get 550 thru the new wave one )
- the nub that keeps the outside implements from rotating all the way over can fail. the new wave solved it by using the chassis to stop the outside implements from doing that.
- non locking inside implements
- no accessories ( pocket clip, lanyard ring, bit kit, extender )
+ thicker spine on main blade ( it tapers toward tip )
+ thicker spine on serrated blade

new wave
all locking implements
bit kit
accessories ( pocket clip )
secret lanyard loop
micro driver ( im a glasses wearer and I have used it as a awl type tool to pierce thru heavy material )
flat driver is used as light pry tool
and last but not least mine is now SHINY

needless to say I like the new wave very much and while the old wave is a great tool the flexibility of the bit kit is just so darn handy.       

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:16:06 AM
Well put Aloha.  :tu:

I prefer the new Wave over the original for many of the same reasons you listed. Bigger and stronger blades, all locking tools, and the bit exchanger make it a better all around tool.

I still love my old Wave though, it would be the very last Leatherman in my collection that I would ever give up.

us Offline Keensnake

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:03:39 AM
I like the new Wave. As others have stated, I like the ability to change bits.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 08:54:10 AM
I've not tried the older version, but locking knives and non-locking drivers just seems totally backwards to me. My vote goes to the newer version

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 02:27:09 PM
I've not tried the older version, but locking knives and non-locking drivers just seems totally backwards to me. My vote goes to the newer version

i know what you mean Al but if you had one in your hand you might possibly feel differen,i know I've got a sentimental attachment to the old wave but it's a much nicer size and needs no attachments as has enough flatheads  :whistle:

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 02:49:47 PM
I too think the old Wave had something going on. As Paul says, the size was right and I found the flat drivers useful plus the scissors were really good.  But, I can understand the thinking behind the new model with the versatile bit driver even if it has it's limitations too. All multis are subject to compromise  :)
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:03:12 PM
I too think the old Wave had something going on. As Paul says, the size was right and I found the flat drivers useful plus the scissors were really good.  But, I can understand the thinking behind the new model with the versatile bit driver even if it has it's limitations too. All multis are subject to compromise  :)

well said.  the whole idea behind a multitool is compromise, otherwise you would have all your tools handy
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 03:21:04 PM
I have always dislike the short, replaceable driver on the Wave, Charge, etc., and prefer the "real" 3D phillips with long shank on the original Wave.  Many phillips screws are buried way down in a hole, and you need that long driver to reach them.

ca Offline dbirchum

Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 08:29:55 PM
Old Wave for me.

Of course, when I got it, it was the 'new' wave.

But my Old Wave was my first MT.  I still have it here with me as I type this.

That, and I don't have the New Wave to compare...

us Offline Craiger

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 07:18:45 AM
I had an old Wave for years, which I enjoyed using a lot and couldn't have asked for more. When I broke the pliers, I sent it in (and was tool-less for weeks!).

It must have been around 2004, because I got a new Wave in the mail, and was thinking I got hosed. Then I started using it..... and totally loved everything about it!

I use the small driver for replacing watch batteries, other electronics and occasional tooth-picking (don't tell my wife!) but thanks to this forum, now realize it is a zip-tie unlocker.  :ahhh  For my job, this is beyond cool. The locks for the handle tools are a winner for me as well. The 2D bits have yet to let me down, and the bit kit increases the useability many times over.

My old Wave served me well, but I don't miss it at all  :multi:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 12:27:47 AM
I had a newer Wave, Black oxide. Sold it. I loved my old Wave over it.

But now I’m looking for a newer Wave again. I have started carrying mine at work. Using a Nite Ize clip on it. But to not worry bosses I try to wrap the clip with tape so as not to scratch any cars.

The newer Wave, using the removable clip, will be easier to deal with. I am not a big fan of sheaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

england Offline Kev D

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 12:32:35 AM
I've never owned an older wave but would pick the newer version just because of the replaceable cutters in the pliers

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 06:59:48 PM
New Wave.  I don't need a handle full of flat drivers.  :facepalm:
:P I agree. For years I had an original, but sent it to warranty, where they gave me a new one. The bit driver turns out to be more valuable than you’d think.

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 05:23:59 PM
I much prefer the New Wave Way more flexability , I like the ability to take a pocket clip , the covert ( I didn’t know it existed , till I saw it on the diagram ) lanyard loop . A very worthwhile feature ! The bit holder /cards , bit extender , are a huge step up . Works for me . I may be in error , but the new Wave like lifeforms ( I have a Wave, and a Charge ) , apper to be better made , they don’t feel as gritty as the early ones . Not too much of a surprise , manufacturing equipment , and control systems tend to get better , over time . Leatherman has also gained a lot of experience over time .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD